Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Any further news on the needed official patch for BG2EE? I know that they were wanting to do the tablet version first in order to squeeze more money out of it, but I was hoping that they would get working on improving the existing product at some point.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Her voice acting is like a stiletto making love to my ear. Still not terrible enough to murder but definitely terrible enough for a good old fashioned Amish shun!

I am so stealing every aspect of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

Any further news on the needed official patch for BG2EE?
They seem to have their plate full seemingly not doing any work whatsoever on the 1.3 patch for BGEE, so who knows.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I retooled the Slayer Test Area to be activated by a brand new dream instead of some lazy bullshit :shobon: downloadable here.

Surprised you're still digging up more stuff, like these new demon encounters. Where's it all being pulled from? And have you worked out who you can blame yet? :v:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Honestly, it beats me. I can't blame time constraints, since almost everything was added already (sometimes with voice acting, even. Doubly hilarious because translated games translate even those lines, so the Slayer's voice actor, unique to that one line, got paid and never saw his work in the game), and it's not a flavor-based decision, since nothing apart from the early-scrapped Earth Plane is particularly off the model.
Anyway, almost all the files are prefixed by their plot occurance, so it's the matter of finding creature files not called by scripts or areas! Same with false()'d out dialog states, which means they can't ever trigger, and items. It's way harder with loose dialog strings, because they are unassigned and therefore impossible to find without manually browsing the entire dialog files. Doesn't help that the string order is completely random. Also, UB probably couldn't add some of my findings, since a few dozens versions of weidu ago there was a lack of cool functions you could call without overriding the files.

I still have a kinda big list of things to add, and it expands every time when I start to think that this is it! I won't add some stuff I found, though, like a guy putting Jaheira in stasis when you cure her curse. Because I'm pretty sure that would break her romance even more. Other stuff is just pointless or bad, like sacrificing experience instead of a stat in Spellhold, or Wishing yourself stat upgrades, or more handholding, like Imoen telling you to disable the lightning machine or the wand traps, or an inforegion in WK telling you there are balls of color drawn on the floor. Maybe the first one I will tho because I remember being dumbfounded on my very first playthrough. And since EE is out I'm more confident that there are people willing to play with mods on the first try :v

But right now I'm on a mac, and discovered that the GOG mac version is absolutely broken. The key file is missing stuff like ambient sounds or map tilesets, and the Polish version has no polish letters. loving hell.

Examples that are not more of "x had a dialog option":
1. In the Underdark there's a small part of the map that you were supposed to get in by temporarily changing into a squirrel. No idea what's in there right now, since my tools are barely working.
2. The beholder chest was supposed to be guarded by more people! All of them are named "Sziltar's apparition", which is a drow name. One of them even has a full script! Choice quote:
@50045 = ~Mortal simpletons control us not. Thou hast invaded our domain and so shall we invade thine!~
...which doesn't really sound like something you say when you pop out of a chest. Maybe I'll just stuff him in the hole, it makes it sound better.
3. A truckload of spells! Some are cool, like Sandform or Spacewarp, which pulls enemies from an area into one point. I am kinda apprehensive about restoring spells though, there are a billion mods which do that already.

Oh, and one more: BG2 was supposed to have a deathmatch mode in multiplayer! It was set in the Durlag's Tower, and the goal was to find a randomly-placed Rogue Stone before anyone else could. Curiously, the area files are implemented, with all the containers and traps and an extra for the announcer and shop, but the maps themselves are just not there. But modding it in is a bit out of my scope! Or probably anyone's, maybe except ascension64. That man can code wonders.

e2:
Have one more because I can't stop talking about stuff I like! In all the area files, there's a field for a "wind speed" value. As far as I know it doesn't affect anything and there are only three maps when it's set to more than 0: Mir Forest Temple(5), North Forest (4) and the ship fight between Saemon and Githyanki(100 :eyepop:).

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 31, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Oh, and one more: BG2 was supposed to have a deathmatch mode in multiplayer! It was set in the Durlag's Tower, and the goal was to find a randomly-placed Rogue Stone before anyone else could. Curiously, the area files are implemented, with all the containers and traps and an extra for the announcer and shop, but the maps themselves are just not there. But modding it in is a bit out of my scope! Or probably anyone's, maybe except ascension64. That man can code wonders.

Yeah, I think I remember them talking about this in dev diaries around release, and their regrets that it was pretty close to being done but still just had to be cut. 14 loving years ago, bloody hell.

Mmm, couldn't find it. Maybe I imagined that. But it was a fun re-read. Oh for the days when BioWare could manage to not bugger up their PR and had a sense of humour.

quote:

Typically the temp VO is so annoying that around 5 minutes after we've finished testing it, we want to take it back out again. This is probably because the development team already spends all day listening to themselves, and then being forced to listen to themselves with a bad cockney accent is only slightly worse than Chinese water torture.

quote:

Though we have had hefty computer upgrades (multiple Dual PIII 500 with 512 Megs of RAM) city renders still take a long time, e.g. - eighteen to twenty-four hours.

Haha, Obsidian, aren't you grateful you don't have to go through this any more? Or at least I trust that Project Eternity is being done on slightly more powerful machines.

quote:

If Imoen thinks that Jaheira is being too strict she'll say so, and if Jaheira thinks Imoen is being immature she'll counter, and if Minsc thinks the both of them would benefit from getting hamsters of their own because just look how gosh darn calm and easy going * he * is, he won't hesitate to offer that little nugget of wisdom.
:3:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I kind of want to try the big world mod sometimes just to see what kind of insanity will unfold but I'm not sure I understand the installation process. Do I have to download all the mods manually or will the installer do that for me?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Big World Project relies on you downloading and installing manually.Big World Setup does stuff automatically, but fucks up along the way if a newer version is available.

e: I just discovered I accidentally introduced a bug to the item and the megainstall :ohdear: it's fixed now but I got like 500 downloads in the meantime, hope it won't bite me in the rear end later

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 31, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Your mod looks interesting, where would you recommend putting it in a mod install order? After the Fixpack but before things like tweak packs or Rogue Rebalancing, SCS etc?

Also for what it's worth, if I was offered a choice between losing experience and a stat at Spellhold, I'd take an experience loss 90% of the time. Then again, I play solo runs mostly, so an experience loss isn't a problem, I'd probably still reach 8 million by Ust Natha anyway.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Preferably just after UB! :)
Well yeah, but that's what I meant. Experience is absolutely everywhere in the game, so it's not such a big loss, while getting a -1 to a stat can hurt you. Never too much, but you know, roleplaying. :v:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Just drop wisdom. Who cares about wisdom? I guess dropping charisma would be even better but sadly it isn't an option.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Suspicious posted:

Just drop wisdom. Who cares about wisdom? I guess dropping charisma would be even better but sadly it isn't an option.
But you lose that lore bonus. :)

Constitution is a good stat to sacrifice for non-warrior classes. Assuming that the PC started with 16 and raised it to 17 with a tome in BG1, then dropping it back to 16 has no real drawbacks.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Well as long as we're pointing out insignificant drawbacks, then dropping constitution from 17 to 16 would make your non-warrior get fatigued slightly faster.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
He'd get drunk faster, which means more money saved!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Stats suggestion for Undead Hunter? Go go go - keen to try this out! Thanks goons :)

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

BadAstronaut posted:

Stats suggestion for Undead Hunter? Go go go - keen to try this out! Thanks goons :)

Hm. Stats don't matter TOO much - you can compensate for pretty much anything with items and spells - but STR, CON and DEX, in that order, are probably the most important. STR is especially nice to start with at 18, since that will eventually (very late game) let you reach the maximum possible without using equipment. But this, too, can be emulated with potions. A bit of WIS is nice too, for bonus buff spells. But you only reach a high enough level to cast spells in BG2, and you never reach the REALLY good ones, so it's kind of secondary.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 3, 2014

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Paladins and rangers don't get bonus spell slots from high wisdom, it's a completely useless stat to them in Baldur's Gate. Unfortunately the minimum wisdom they're allowed to have is 13 so it's hard to use it as a dump stat. Paladins are further gimped by being required to have a minimum charisma of 17 so they don't really have a dump stat other than intelligence. If you don't like the idea of having a PC that's dumb as a rock, one-shotted by mind flayers and trapped interminably when mazed, you might go insane trying to roll 18 in strength, dexterity and constitution while keeping intelligence at 10 or whatever.

If you don't want to waste time rerolling and don't want to cheat your stats, you may consider (slightly) dropping strength. It's a very important stat but there are a lot of strength boosting potions you can drink for important battles in BG1, and in BG2 there are several strength boosting girdles. They set your strength to 19 (or more) and there's nothing better to put in that equipment slot anyway.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Oh right, I forgot about stat minimums. And I obviously didn't know about WIS. You can still patch up your INT with potions, though, though that might be a little annoying. But yeah, in the end your stats don't matter a lot. Just shuffle the stats around a bit on your first roll, you'll be good to go! :madmax:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

BadAstronaut posted:

Paladins' stats are always bad, since the stat minimum of 75 includes the 30 locked in wisdom and charisma, so just go nuts with whatever!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm aware of the 75 point minimum, but I thought the game *didn't* account for minimums when distributing the stats, thus skewing the total higher for characters with high minimum stat requirements.

I swear when I'm creating something like an elf ranger, I have no trouble getting totals of 88+ after a minute or two of rerolling whereas say for a human fighter my chances of getting the same are so low I don't even bother rolling anymore and just cheat.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Suspicious posted:

I'm aware of the 75 point minimum, but I thought the game *didn't* account for minimums when distributing the stats, thus skewing the total higher for characters with high minimum stat requirements.

I swear when I'm creating something like an elf ranger, I have no trouble getting totals of 88+ after a minute or two of rerolling whereas say for a human fighter my chances of getting the same are so low I don't even bother rolling anymore and just cheat.

I don't recall the method that the game uses, but I'm pretty certain this is correct. Higher minimums = Higher average rolls.

Personally after all these years I don't see much problem just setting a point buy amount and sticking to it. Sometimes I pick stats to RP and sometimes to powergame, then I SK the stats. If you plan to reroll until you get the stats you want anyway it seems silly in a SP game to try and do it "fairly". Spending hours rerolling stats is almost literally the devil so I refuse to do it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The way that game calculates stats is to roll for stats normally, checks if it's lower than minimum and then bumps it up if it is. This is good since you get higher stats, and it's bad because you can never lower them if those stats are in an attribute you don't care about (like paladin's charisma which can be easily bumped to 18 in BG2 with a certain item).

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
It actually rerolls if the stat is below the minimum. You can easily see this by rerolling a Paladin a few times. You get far more 18s in Cha than you would if it just increased it to the minimum. Same with Str and Wis significantly more than half your rolls would be 12 and 13 respectively if it just bumped it up to the min.

Which means simply having a highish minimum on a few stats makes it much, much, more likely to get very high rolls. For example a paladin has a 1/4th chance of rolling 18 cha, a 1/81st chance of rolling 18 str, a 1/56th chance of rolling 18 wis, 1/160th chance of rolling con, 1/216th chance for the other stats. Or a one in 135,444,234,240 of rolling all 18s. Compared to a pure Thief which only has a min of 9 in dex and so has a 1 in 75,229,597,532,160 of rolling all 18s. A char with no min stats would be 1 in 101,559,956,668,416. This assumes the game simply rolls 3d6 and not 4d6 discarding the lowest or something more complex, and that I havent screwed up the math. But the ratios between classes would be roughly similar in any event.

In other words a Paladin is about 500 times more likely to roll a perfect roll than a thief due to their minimums. They are about as much more likely to roll a good or great but not perfect roll.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Spek posted:

It actually rerolls if the stat is below the minimum. You can easily see this by rerolling a Paladin a few times. You get far more 18s in Cha than you would if it just increased it to the minimum. Same with Str and Wis significantly more than half your rolls would be 12 and 13 respectively if it just bumped it up to the min.

Thanks, didn't know that. It makes sense tho.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone have experience of items just disappearing from your inventory in BG2:EE? I just noticed my amulet of metaspell influence was missing from my PC and I'm pretty sure I never unequipped it

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So an Undead Hunter is not a bad character to go with? I'm going to start one now then on my Android tablet. I'm trying to think but can't see anything better for weapon proficiency for this class than longsword and longbow?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
All paladin kits are strong and straightforward to play. Your proficiencies are fine. By the second game you'll want to have two-handed sword proficiency because paladins get the best sword in the series and it's a two hander.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

So an Undead Hunter is not a bad character to go with? I'm going to start one now then on my Android tablet. I'm trying to think but can't see anything better for weapon proficiency for this class than longsword and longbow?

I'd go for 2H swords even in BG1. You can switch easily between 2H and bow (unlike sword&shield and a bow) and one of the best weapons in BG1 is a 2H sword. Then the downright best weapon in BG2 is a 2H sword.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One of the worst cases of minimum stats are druids because they need like a 17 in CHA of all things to dual class into. INT is pretty much the only dump stat for fighter-druids, and even that you want at a certain level to be able to read scrolls and avoid death by illithid stat drain.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Suspicious posted:

... paladins get the best sword in the series and it's a two hander.

Arguable...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sergiu64 posted:

Arguable...

Hmm yes...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sergiu64 posted:

Arguable...

Aside from completely circumstantial occasions (Mace of Disruption+2 is great against liches, there aren't that many liches in the game) what is better? I can think of maybe 3 weapons that are about par with Carsomyr for the game.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

Aside from completely circumstantial occasions (Mace of Disruption+2 is great against liches, there aren't that many liches in the game) what is better? I can think of maybe 3 weapons that are about par with Carsomyr for the game.

Dual wielding is always stronger.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's a rather large list of dual wield combinations and a handful of two-handers that are better for damage. The main benefit of Carsomyr is either being a good all-rounder noob weapon, or dispelling a ton of things with GWW.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That's the best two swords :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

drat, I already started with longsword and longbow. How long will it be before I can max out two-handed - how many levels do I need to climb? And can paladins only get two slots in a proficiency?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BadAstronaut posted:

drat, I already started with longsword and longbow. How long will it be before I can max out two-handed - how many levels do I need to climb? And can paladins only get two slots in a proficiency?

Paladins get only two proficiency slots so don't sweat it. I don't know when exactly, but you will have two points in two handers before BG2 starts. If you want them now, you can always use shadow keeper to redistribute those points.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What is the best way to make a wild mage super broken? I always hear people talk about how great they are but I never really knew how.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

you can always use shadow keeper to redistribute those points.

Not on Android I can't :)

No big deal - I'm fine with this guy as is. I'll get those two handed slots as soon as I can.
What is a fun way to play as a tanky main character - this Undead Hunter doesn't have much going for him in terms of strategy beyond potion up and get swinging/flinging arrows.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cheesetriangles posted:

What is the best way to make a wild mage super broken? I always hear people talk about how great they are but I never really knew how.

Use Reckless Dweomer to cast level 9 spells.

No, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'd say that dual wielding isn't always better, because Carsomyr.