Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

yaay posted:

Thinking about it though, grass 'off' for everyone is probably better
Disagree. I liked having grass on (tanks looks awful without it) and only turned it off because the difference is absurdly dramatic.

I think they should do "old school" grass for people with crappy machines. "Old school" grass being grids of 2D grass that takes little resources, but would ably obscure things as much as full 3D grass and still look better than "fields" of yellow ground does.

Either way, it's reassuring to see a Dev note that the major problems of SB have resolutions in the works. Also, on Kursk, spotting is fairly easy without the minimap and with grass so presumably more realistic environments will allow these fixes to not be game-breakingly stagnating to gameplay (like it would on Jungle).

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's also just dumb to have the entire world covered in 2-3 foot tall grass.
Why? RB and SB are designed with more realistic/practical environments in mind. Places like that actually exist and it looks amazing when you have hardware that can run it properly.

I guess it doesn't play too much into gameplay (unless they add proper corn fields or something that can legit obscure small tanks entirely), but major immersion points.

organburner posted:

Am I an idiot for not liking kursk?
It also seems like it's pretty easy to win, just head to A and kill everything nearby.

I want more close combat dangit.
There's a mode for unrealistic close combat, it's called Arcade. Your days of those maps in RB/SB are very likely numbered so you better enjoy it while it lasts. That said, there will probably be RB/SB city/town maps that will have tank knife fights.

Kursk is fairly broken right now. I imagine things'll be a bit different when AI tanks can actually hurt you/each other (and when German ATGs actually work beyond ~100m, whilst the Russian ones near the AI and at their base work out to a couple kilometers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Been playing Germans, Soviets and Americans up to tier 3. I'm fairly poo poo but I've generally got at least a 5:1 kd ratio on my Soviet and American fighter planes. Germans (except for the 110 and the later fw 190s) I barely break even with. Are German early tiers really weak or am I playing them wrong? The 109s especially seem to lack killing power. I figure it can't just be me sucking (although it's obviously a big part of it) because they're basically free kills whenever I face them in Soviet or American fighters.

This goes for Arcade and RB both. Like, I'm probably really bad, but I'm not super dumb. I try not to turn fight against nimbler planes, I boom and zoom, hold fire until I know I'll hit etc.

Do they get any better? Is there something I'm not getting?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
So is RB for planes still hosed or did they fix the squirrel error

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Robot Randy posted:

So is RB for planes still hosed or did they fix the squirrel error

I don't even know what this means, but I played RB planes a lot this afternoon and it had planes in RB and I shot them, so it seemed to work as intended :shrug:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thief posted:

Talismans are a waste of money unless you really, really like the plane and plan on flying it forever.

The Hitlerbolt, :911: Ki-61/A6M2 and :britain: Hellcat are the closest you can get to "Pay-2-Win" planes... but they can be unlocked for free on their proper nations. :retrogames:

I recommend buying the unique and/or prototype planes for GE:

:911: XP-55 - a literal UFO
:france: D.520 - flies like a slower but more agile 109
:britain: Mustang Mk IA - it has cannons instead of .50s!
:australia: Boomerang - this plane is still good, l2play
:911: BTD-1 - cool airbreaks but otherwise an easy target
:911: XP-50 - one trick pony
:australia: Wirray - cheap seal clubber

:japan: Buy the Ki-96, you won't regret it. Make P-47s and B-25s cry erryday.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Raged posted:

How to I stop sucking with AA trucks. I am having a hell of a time aiming with the sight since it gets obscured after 2 shots. I can get one or two kills a match when they come straight at me.

I also suck with AA vehicles, but I just thought of a strategy that might work. That is instead of trying to continuously follow your target with fire, aim at a point in the sky where they are going and let them just fly into it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Took out my Russian B-25 for a Realistic Battle. Dove on the C cap on Jungle as fast I could, blazing past 2 109s at the speed of light. Dropped my entire load in the cap and set a Tiger on fire, killing him and a bot. As I flew away, I shot down 3 109s with my tailguns and finally died to a 410 with the 50mm.

The B-25 will never stop owning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Took out my Russian B-25 for a Realistic Battle. Dove on the C cap on Jungle as fast I could, blazing past 2 109s at the speed of light. Dropped my entire load in the cap and set a Tiger on fire, killing him and a bot. As I flew away, I shot down 3 109s with my tailguns and finally died to a 410 with the 50mm.

The B-25 will never stop owning.

Pretty much. We just had a tense moment with 3 of us trying to pin down a Tiger, then all of a sudden I see a bomb slam into the Tiger, zoom out of scope view, and see a B-25 just screaming away.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
How to kill a B-17.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is the static, crashed one on Ash River. Shoot a real one. :colbert:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Thief posted:

Talismans are a waste of money unless you really, really like the plane and plan on flying it forever.

While this might be true for planes it's certainly not true for tanks, at least in SB. The Talisman is cheaper than a premium vehicle of the same BR, it gives you the same RP bonus as a premium vehicle of the same BR but SB tanks earn more than the premium variants who are stuck with the 120+120 modifiers while the regular ones earn 260 (Pz IIIN vs Pz IVF plus talisman) at the same BR. And there are quiet a few tanks that are a lot of fun and can be driven forever and all of them earn more lions while getting the same RP with a talisman than the premium equivalent with the talisman beeing cheaper than buying said premium tank.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wooper posted:

How to kill a B-17.

Teamwork is OP.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty much. We just had a tense moment with 3 of us trying to pin down a Tiger, then all of a sudden I see a bomb slam into the Tiger, zoom out of scope view, and see a B-25 just screaming away.

That loving owned, it was my favorite moment of CA so far.

CA is really loving good. As far as really cool "holy poo poo" moments, I've had more playing CA for a few days then probably my entire other time in War Thunder. Another time, Woop and I were pinned by a Tiger who was hull-down and elevated, and then Muhlump swooped down in a Pe-3 and nuked him with a pair of bombs. Problem solved! Seriously, nothing in this game looks cooler than when you're in a tank and a bunch of bombs blow up the tanks you're fighting, and you see your teammate fly overhead like that Saving Private Ryan scene.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sometimes LAME members, as skygods, do not understand mud-trundling and get our asses beat.

Other times, teamwork is OP.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The Hitlerbolt and the Sherman are around the same B.R. so I can take them both into combined arms and RP as America until the tree is released :unsmith:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bUm posted:

Why? RB and SB are designed with more realistic/practical environments in mind. Places like that actually exist and it looks amazing when you have hardware that can run it properly.

Because its dumb to have literally every inch of the playable world on every map covered int all grass. It's dumb.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fart Car '97 posted:

Because its dumb to have literally every inch of the playable world on every map covered int all grass. It's dumb.

It's also annoying as gently caress when you're in a tank destroyer because you're low to the ground and can't ever see poo poo.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So on the Russian side, I like the Il2 for its huge-rear end bomb/rocket load. I have yet to fly ones other than that in CA, though. What German planes are good for ground attack? Are the gun-pod stukas any good? The bomb-carrying early models are alright but they are so drat slow.

Also, anyone have tips for dive-bombing in SB? How to set up the correct approach on a target, what angle to dive at, etc?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Have fun.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
T-34-57 is hilarious. One shotted the first 3 tanks I came across, murdered a Tiger gunner/commander by shooting near his cupola (he crawled off) and held the cap from 3 tanks terrified of me.

Also bounced god knows how many PzIII rounds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

unlawfulsoup posted:

T-34-57 is hilarious.

Yeah, it's by no means invulnerable at all, but its gun is more potent than it used to be. It's a cool little tank.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it's by no means invulnerable at all, but its gun is more potent than it used to be. It's a cool little tank.

Yeah, I did not mean to suggest it was, just that when bullying lesser tanks they struggle to actually kill you. That and the 57mm AP rounds are hilariously destructive.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
I don't get the threat title; isn't it widely accepted by now that historically German tanks were largely mediocre?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Been playing Germans, Soviets and Americans up to tier 3. I'm fairly poo poo but I've generally got at least a 5:1 kd ratio on my Soviet and American fighter planes. Germans (except for the 110 and the later fw 190s) I barely break even with. Are German early tiers really weak or am I playing them wrong? The 109s especially seem to lack killing power. I figure it can't just be me sucking (although it's obviously a big part of it) because they're basically free kills whenever I face them in Soviet or American fighters.

This goes for Arcade and RB both. Like, I'm probably really bad, but I'm not super dumb. I try not to turn fight against nimbler planes, I boom and zoom, hold fire until I know I'll hit etc.

Do they get any better? Is there something I'm not getting?

The F4 is the one you need, the 109 e3's and f1's cannons are really badly under performing in damage, the f2 isn't that great either and the e1 lacks killing power for obvious reasons. The default belts on the f4 are also awful, but unlock air targets belts and you should have no trouble killing most planes in a boom and zoom. Gunpods are an option too, they make the firepower outstanding. Overall all the 109s are also very poor in maneuverability compared to their real life counterparts, so I don't think you're very far off base to consider them fairly easy kills. They need an altitude advantage because of their kneecapped maneuverability, but there's no plane that doesn't do well with an altitude advantage. You can do very well in a 109 though since they have the climb rate to get an altitude advantage and keep it. They're also very well armored from behind which can be a life saver if people manage to take pot shots at you as you zoom away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

the night dad posted:

I don't get the threat title; isn't it widely accepted by now that historically German tanks were largely mediocre?

:thesperg:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I started this up the other day and am enjoying my tank shooting simulator. Got around unlocking the ausf, F2 and I feel like I'm breaking things in 1-2 shots now :getin:.

Christ going against t-50s/zis-30s in T1 felt like an uphill battle.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hambilderberglar posted:

I hope they include the fact that the turret traverse was too slow to keep up with the jet aircraft it was meant to shoot down. :v:

Dezztroy posted:

The ZSU 57-2 might be stretching it a bit. If they do put it in, it's no doubt going to be tier 5, and well, SPAAGs are not very good against jets.

Of course, perforating KTs with a vehicle that's barely bulletproof would be great.

I wasn't ever going to shoot planes with it

96mm RHA penetration at 1000 meters. Enough to drill straight through the side of anything that's not IS-4. :unsmigghh:

Teal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 1, 2014

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's also annoying as gently caress when you're in a tank destroyer because you're low to the ground and can't ever see poo poo.

I don't have many Tank destoyers unlocked but on the StuGs at least it's compounded by the fact that the scope view seems to be looking down the barrel of the gun instead of the little periscope thing on the top. Though a view offset from the gun might have problems on it's own at short distances.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Snapshots on bombers are pretty funny.

We were already winning, and this guy was about the second to last enemy alive, but he had bombed out 2-3 tanks before I just kind of snap-shot him through luck.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
So, to be able to drive skytonks somewhat effectively I changed to RB after playing SB for a while now. Is it normal that the RB-tank-pubbies cant shoot and have no situational awarenes at all (even with the red marker for enemies)?

Because suddenly I get 5-10 kills per round (unless I gently caress up) instead of the 1-4 I used to get in SB...

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I just unlocked the Jp4/L70, and this thing is wonderful. It's got beefier frontal armor than the first Jp4, and it can snipe long distances like the Panther. I didn't think it'd be able to bounce T-34-57 and T-34-85 shots, but oh man that frontal slope is really great! AAA+, would buy again.

Edit: Okay, I think this is kind of funny: I'm trying to get eyes on a T-34-85 over a sand dune on the north flank of Jungle. I notice a KV-85 is rolling right along the water's edge, coming my way. I send one shot at the 34-85, and manage to set him on fire. He trades a shot with me, bounce. I back up to get ready for the KV, and the 34-85 blows up because he didn't put the fire out. Another 34-85 comes up behind him, but I'm out of LOS from him for the time being.

The KV rolls out behind a rock, and I put one through his turret, knocking out his gun, but not before bouncing his shot. A few seconds later he has that "oh poo poo" realization and backs up, but he's not a threat for at least a minute so I ignore him to go line up a shot on the new 34-85. He's an idiot and has his turret turned ALL THE WAY AROUND, shooting at our 38(t) bots. I tried to ammo rack him, but knock out his gun and horizontal traverse. Now I've got a T-34-85 and a KV-85, both crippled. I roll along the water and find the KV repairing. I knocked him out right as he starts backing up after he halted the repair. Did the same thing for the crippled 35-85. If I hadn't bounced those shots that would have been a very short engagement.

tl;dr, knocking out someone else's gun is really fun.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 1, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Nektu posted:

So, to be able to drive skytonks

Shut the gently caress up.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Thief posted:

The Hitlerbolt, :911: Ki-61/A6M2 and :britain: Hellcat are the closest you can get to "Pay-2-Win" planes... but they can be unlocked for free on their proper nations. :retrogames:

The :britain: Hellcat allows you to match up against P51s (thanks to their BR going down by 0.3) on Hokkaido and outturn them. It's legit fun ;). Can't wait for the BR of the :britain: Hellcat to rise a bit more.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Mustang is still a great plane. It is amazing what it can take in a dive.

I was diving after a ME262 and I could imagine the player thinking that his nazi jalopy will take him to safety due to it being a jet.

Little did he know that the mustang follows it in a dive easily.
I wrecked him, naturally and we were going so fast before his implosion that this was basically me.

And is everytime I push the mustang close to a sonic boom.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

When tanking, it's important to build and promote your personal brand.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shine posted:

When tanking, it's important to build and promote your personal brand.

j/k nice decal. What was that site that had all the cool and not so cool plane skins. I thought it was curse, but I dont see any skins

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

j/k nice decal. What was that site that had all the cool and not so cool plane skins. I thought it was curse, but I dont see any skins

Nexus has some.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

the night dad posted:

I think its more the case that there has always been a conception that German tanks were better than anything the allies ever had, when in reality the vast bulk of their armour was just as good and no better than their allied equivalents, and the victories they won were because of superior tactics as opposed to superior machines. It was only the later stuff like the Tigers and Panthers that generally skewed things quite badly for allied tanks, but they had their own problems in terms of logistics and manufacturing.

Of course if I had to be inside either a Sherman or a Tiger, I know which one I'm picking.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 1, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
First, no you don't. The Sherman crew has a much better chance of surviving. War has never been a measurement of any single factor.

Second, "later stuff"? The most iconic nazi tank Tiger was prototyped 1941 and in full service by 1942. The Panther was tailing this by around 8-10 months. Way before any decisive tank battles.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The "red team" in the thread title does not refer to any specific country. Think about what teams look like in the game :ssh:.

• Locked thread