Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think Gohan pretty openly gave up fighting entirely and focused on studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Some Numbers posted:

I think Gohan pretty openly gave up fighting entirely and focused on studying.

Except for the superheroing. That involved fighting.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I think Gohan pretty openly gave up was forced to give up fighting entirely and focused on studying under the watchful eye of his mother.

Come on, we all know what really happened. Don't act like Gohan stopped his training willingly.

That being said, Gohan definitely didn't inherit his father's unconditional love of fighting so he probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to train with anyone other than Goten.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

quote!=edit

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gohan said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like fighting and actually wanted to be a scholar.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zorak posted:

Which is dumb because Dragon Ball is actually way better :colbert:

Oh definitely. I enjoyed DB more because it was less powerup levels and just unorthodox fighting. (considering one of the fights revolved around smell and loving Krillin of all people forgot he had no nose) Not to mention, techincally Master Roshi was still a relevant badass. Jackie Chun v.s. Goku was a really good fight because it showed that Goku still had a ways to go to be the best. Also it gave us Piccolo Day. Granted while I do love the Falconer music. Piccolo's original theme is still the best.

Most badass theme ever

It's also why I enjoyed the Slug movie DBZA because it was really just a rehash of King Piccolo's plot. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 1, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Except for the superheroing. That involved fighting.
Fighting is a relative term when you can dead lift a planet. I don't think much actual fighting would have ever gone into Gohan's superheroing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

socialsecurity posted:

It's odd him and Gohan didn't seem to fight/spar even like once during the Buu timeskip you'd think he would be beating on his door like daily.

I have to admit, Vegeta trying to get Gohan to fight him and making him more and more agitated until Gohan just flips out and wastes him as SS2 would have been great.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Guyver posted:

Fighting is a relative term when you can dead lift a planet. I don't think much actual fighting would have ever gone into Gohan's superheroing.

Hell, the criminals are lucky Gohan pulls his punches. If Vegeta tried the Saiyaman shtick for a day there would probably be an incident where he "accidentally" ripped a purse-snatcher's arm off or something.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The lack of interaction between Vegeta and Gohan is one of my biggest personal problems with the Buu Saga. It doesn't really make it worse necessarily, but it's a dynamic I would've liked to have had a lot more of. That bit in Babidi's ship where Vegeta yells at him for not beating Dabura was about as much as we got.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

WhiffleballDude posted:

The lack of interaction between Vegeta and Gohan is one of my biggest personal problems with the Buu Saga. It doesn't really make it worse necessarily, but it's a dynamic I would've liked to have had a lot more of. That bit in Babidi's ship where Vegeta yells at him for not beating Dabura was about as much as we got.

That'd be pretty cool. Gohan should've spent the series being trained by his dad's rivals.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Personally, I would've preferred more Vegeta-Piccolo interactions. Both were, at one point, Goku's rivals, both were obsessed with fighting him again (Piccolo mellowed out pretty quickly, though), both found some good in their hearts. Granted, we've seen some moments between them, most famously their talk before Vegeta blows up in Buu saga, and a few movies have shown them together (sitting and waiting for the fish at the end of Super Android 13), but it pains me to see such a great potential for character development being just... wasted.

They could've developed a very good relationship.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is the rumor that is was at one point Piccolo who was going to turn evil again true, or just another Internet hoax? Because that's something I would have really wanted to see.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

PiedPiper posted:

Personally, I would've preferred more Vegeta-Piccolo interactions. Both were, at one point, Goku's rivals, both were obsessed with fighting him again (Piccolo mellowed out pretty quickly, though), both found some good in their hearts. Granted, we've seen some moments between them, most famously their talk before Vegeta blows up in Buu saga, and a few movies have shown them together (sitting and waiting for the fish at the end of Super Android 13), but it pains me to see such a great potential for character development being just... wasted.

They could've developed a very good relationship.

The best Piccolo-Vegeta moment was after Piccolo fusing with Kami. His power boost was so massive it shocked the Super Saiyan out of Vegeta. Speaking of, that moment should be in the next DBZA, wanna see how Vegeta reacts to at least temporarily being relegated to #3 on the power level scale for the good guys. Power levels are Bullshit 2.0 time.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
See, all these hypothetical interactions between characters sound very sweet. Too bad Toriyama hated Vegeta.

That's one thing I like about DBZA. It's essentially a redo of DBZ at this point, which means they can explore interactions that Toriyama didn't care to when he wrote the series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Twiddy posted:

I mean guys, this is literally what the "Yamcha got Yamcha'd" joke in DBZA is all about. To help people remember, Yamcha was one of the first people Goku beat who turned into an ally fighter. Thus, he's also one of the first ally fighters to turn completely irrelevant. By the time DBZ happens, Yamcha's the most professional jobber of the whole cast.
Never forget

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fair enough it's just kind of funny in retrospect because I always kind of took it for granted as a kid that Goku "beat" Vegeta in the original fight and then a rewatch made it fairly obvious that wasn't the case at all.
Would Vegeta have won if he didn't turn into a giant monkey?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Would Vegeta have won if he didn't turn into a giant monkey?

Goku says that Vegeta's power dropped quite a bit making that false moon so gohan and krillin showing up wouldn't have helped as much if Vegeta still had most of his stamina.

Then again the only reason the Giant Monkey thing backfired was because Vegeta was completely unaware of the existence of Yajirobe.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Vegeta was probably hurt significantly by Goku's kamehameha, but he probably could have stuck it out until Goku's body exploded from all the kaiokens. IIRC he screamed in pain when Yajirobe slapped him on the back. Goku was already almost crippled at that point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Goku says that Vegeta's power dropped quite a bit making that false moon so gohan and krillin showing up wouldn't have helped as much if Vegeta still had most of his stamina.

Then again the only reason the Giant Monkey thing backfired was because Vegeta was completely unaware of the existence of Yajirobe.

After he gets hit by the spirit bomb then drops back to Earth, isn't there a bit where King Kai goes, "I don't believe it! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before!" or is that only in certain versions of the dub?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

After he gets hit by the spirit bomb then drops back to Earth, isn't there a bit where King Kai goes, "I don't believe it! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before!" or is that only in certain versions of the dub?

My memory is that Krillin thought he was dead and he wasn't and everyone kept saying "how is this guy still moving? Can't anything actually stop him?"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PiedPiper posted:

(Piccolo mellowed out pretty quickly, though),

You kinda mellow out when you finally kill your arch, even though it's through bullshit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rudoku posted:

You kinda mellow out when you finally kill your arch, even though it's through bullshit.

Also he liked being a surrogate dad. :3:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goku's Japanese voice is just ridiculous, it's so silly that they refused to change his VA after the timeskip.

Amen brother

I hate the Goku japanese VA. It is so drat bad

This is a fully grown man, he should sound like a man and not like he got his balls chopped off

Having him sound like a rapid-fire toddler is just creepy.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
In this Garlic Jr saga, I'm a little annoyed that Krillen has suddenly taken to calling everyone 'Bro.'

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crikster posted:

In this Garlic Jr saga, I'm a little annoyed that Krillen has suddenly taken to calling everyone 'Bro.'

You should definitely skip Garlic Jr.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fair enough it's just kind of funny in retrospect because I always kind of took it for granted as a kid that Goku "beat" Vegeta in the original fight and then a rewatch made it fairly obvious that wasn't the case at all.

It's more that Goku beat him one on one no bullshit transformations required. Vegeta couldn't beat him on his own "honourable" terms.

Hey shut up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRErOvknMVg

This is totally canon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's more that Goku beat him one on one no bullshit transformations required. Vegeta couldn't beat him on his own "honourable" terms.

I don't think honor is a thing Vegeta even kind of sort of not really believes in.

The "frustrated by how much stronger he was on Namek" explanation makes a lot more sense. Besides, Vegeta is a Saiyan and monkey form is a natural part of being a Saiyan. Why would he even view that as dishonorable?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I don't think honor is a thing Vegeta even kind of sort of not really believes in.

The "frustrated by how much stronger he was on Namek" explanation makes a lot more sense. Besides, Vegeta is a Saiyan and monkey form is a natural part of being a Saiyan. Why would he even view that as dishonorable?

Vegeta did find it bullshit that Goku didn't go SS3 in their fight during Buu.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vegeta did find it bullshit that Goku didn't go SS3 in their fight during Buu.

Edit: Nevermind. Yes. Agreed.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Vegeta's honor is kind of bullshit, I agree. We're talking about the guy who ditched his partner in a two on two fight (Ginyu/Jeice vs. Goku/Vegeta) and straight up ran away against Freeza (which I'm pretty sure is canon).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

Vegeta's honor is kind of bullshit, I agree. We're talking about the guy who ditched his partner in a two on two fight (Ginyu/Jeice vs. Goku/Vegeta) and straight up ran away against Freeza (which I'm pretty sure is canon).

Yeah, Vegeta didn't develop any real sense of honor until way later, and even then it was more pride than anything most of the time. It could be that his time on Earth changed him deeply, or it could just be that Toriyama started making him less of a total rear end in a top hat once he grudgingly accepted that Vegeta was a fan favorite.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Vegeta's 'Frieza wanted to destroy our race' argument seems kinda silly in retospect if you remember that during his first fight against Goku, he actually killed one third of Saiyan's remaining population (Nappa) and then actively sought to kill a half of what remained after that (Goku). He didn't even care much about Radditz's death.

Then again, no one did.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Yeah, Vegeta didn't develop any real sense of honor until way later, and even then it was more pride than anything most of the time. It could be that his time on Earth changed him deeply, or it could just be that Toriyama started making him less of a total rear end in a top hat once he grudgingly accepted that Vegeta was a fan favorite.

It'm pretty sure his honor didn't really pop up until he started getting close to Bulma so I'd say it was his time on Earth that changed him. Having it work out for fans was just a welcome side effect.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PiedPiper posted:

Vegeta's 'Frieza wanted to destroy our race' argument seems kinda silly in retospect if you remember that during his first fight against Goku, he actually killed one third of Saiyan's remaining population (Nappa) and then actively sought to kill a half of what remained after that (Goku). He didn't even care much about Radditz's death.

Then again, no one did.

To be fair, at that point it was three (four before Radditz ate it) dudes left alive. That's not really any bringing a people back from that poo poo, so saving those who remain is pretty much going to come down to how well they get along.

Basically, Vegeta at the time would rather have been the last proud Saiyan than prince of a bunch of a losers.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

If Vegeta were a good boss, he would've said 'Okay, Nappa, I'm gonna finish here, you sit down and abuse your zenkai ability'. After they were done there (and having Nappa to back him would not let Vegeta be harmed by Yajirobe), he could simply reduce Nappa's allowance or something.

Basically, Vegeta is a good tactician but not a very bright strategist.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MastG posted:

It'm pretty sure his honor didn't really pop up until he started getting close to Bulma so I'd say it was his time on Earth that changed him. Having it work out for fans was just a welcome side effect.

Well honestly the second option is just the explanation for why the first option exists.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

crikster posted:

Don't forget Popo and Kami's magic carpet acid trip

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SirDrone posted:

Don't forget Popo and Kami's magic carpet acid trip

Maybe that's where Team Fourstar got the joke of Popo chugging a gallon of LSD.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

crankdatbatman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondq9zKummI

This for instance, it's super rocky then turns into this weird clown music.

Don't you think that's sort of a perfect description of Super Buu's character, though? He's more powerful, more vicious and behaves like a stupid, demented clown half of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hobo Siege posted:

Don't you think that's sort of a perfect description of Super Buu's character, though? He's more powerful, more vicious and behaves like a stupid, demented clown half of the time.

If there's a villain more deserving of rockin' evil clown music I'm not sure who it is.

• Locked thread