Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

I don't get it, does the death scale affect aging?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah iirc every unit with old age has a chance to accumulate afflictions in the winter months, with growth/death decreasing/increasing this chance

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's just at the start of early spring that old age afflictions happen, when age ticks up. Death magic supposedly lowers the chance, too.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
I bring this discussion up on IRC from time to time, but I can never really decide between them. Site searching manually vs searching spells.

Manual sitesearch is obviously cheaper on gems, but it is also very slow. One site/2 turns, and a mage that could be required for research or battle. You also want a fairly competent mage, in my book at the very least a 2 in the path. Nations like tien'chi got great rainbows but even then you can leave some large holes as their paths are usually random.

Spells are very thorough, but will become costly over time. It will cost you less time though, as you can get one site/turn. Its safe, and its easy to do, but requires research before it gets online.

How do you usually value site searching vs site spells?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Gentleman posted:

I bring this discussion up on IRC from time to time, but I can never really decide between them. Site searching manually vs searching spells.

Manual sitesearch is obviously cheaper on gems, but it is also very slow. One site/2 turns, and a mage that could be required for research or battle. You also want a fairly competent mage, in my book at the very least a 2 in the path. Nations like tien'chi got great rainbows but even then you can leave some large holes as their paths are usually random.

Spells are very thorough, but will become costly over time. It will cost you less time though, as you can get one site/turn. Its safe, and its easy to do, but requires research before it gets online.

You manually sitesearch in the early game and you remote sitesearch in the mid/lategame. Rushing remote sitesearching is almost always a bad idea unless you have another, better reason to research thaum.

You also, of course, manual sitesearch paths you don't have the gem income to remote sitesearch.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The Gentleman posted:

If you have even moderately good rainbows you manually search that poo poo. Remote site searching is usually not a good idea: how many casts do you consider acceptable before finding a site that gives 1 gem/turn?

I am going to propose that the correct thing to do is often not to sitesearch at all, or if you do do it very rarely. The best way to get gems is to run around the map killing other players and taking their sites.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

If you have even moderately good rainbows you manually search that poo poo. Remote site searching is usually not a good idea: how many casts do you consider acceptable before finding a site that gives 1 gem/turn?

I am going to propose that the correct thing to do is often not to sitesearch at all, or if you do do it very rarely. The best way to get gems is to run around the map killing other players and taking their sites.

In my opinion, it's mostly luck based, with a little bit of strategy in choosing your targets. You don't want to search sites (remote or otherwise) in provinces you know are going to fall to an enemy, for example. So you'll have to accurately decide which border is safe enough for searching sites. And of course you'll have to prioritize provinces you know aren't going to fall anytime soon, like fortified provinces.

And if you go around killing other players, it's the same, just more violent. If you've chosen poorly, your precious army may get smashed and then you'll lose your own sites (and provinces).

Remote site searching is your friend if you depend on your research: Remote site searching just costs one turn and your mages never leave their home province, so they are available for research again right after searching. I consider the gems used in remote searching as a mixture of research booster and booster for faster site searching. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 31, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Here is the foolproof site search strategy:

- Conquer your cap circle only
- Rush for Acashic Knowledge
- Set it to cast monthly
- Only expand once you've searched every cap circle province, taking one province at a time and Knowledging each one

With this method you will guarantee the most sites possible with a minimum of time wasted. Try it today!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AXE COP posted:

- Set it to cast monthly
- Only expand once you've searched every cap circle province, taking one province at a time and Knowledging each one

With this method you will guarantee the most sites possible with a minimum of time wasted. Try it today!

If you don't expand at all beyond the cap circle your entire army can respond instantly to aggression.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AXE COP posted:

- Set it to cast monthly

An even better method:

-Set up a lab in every province you conquer.
-Recruit at least one mage in every province.
-Rush for Acashic Knowledge.
-Cast Acashic Knowledge in every province simultaneously.

Time wasted: Zero turns.

Who wants to try it out? :shepface:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

It's sort of prisoner's dilemma going on, though. If nobody site-searches, you don't get that benefit by attacking people. Like Aby doesn't appear to have searched for any fire sites at all in this game, maybe I'll just leave him alone next time because his lands aren't as well site-searched.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Libluini posted:

An even better method:

This only works if you have S3s available everywhere. Literally the only nation that can pull that off is EA Ryleh.

AXE COP's plan works better because it only requires that you buy S3 on your pretender or have S3s in your cap.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

An even better method:

Even better method:

Take a dormant or imprisoned rainbow pretender with S7 and 4+ in every other path.

Rush to Evo9

Cast strands of arcane power and find all the sites in your dominion all at once.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

sullat posted:

It's sort of prisoner's dilemma going on, though. If nobody site-searches, you don't get that benefit by attacking people. Like Aby doesn't appear to have searched for any fire sites at all in this game, maybe I'll just leave him alone next time because his lands aren't as well site-searched.

You find that out after you are occupying the land though and then go, "drat you."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Decrepus posted:

You find that out after you are occupying the land though and then go, "drat you."

WELL gently caress I GUESS ILL JUST GIVE ALL THIS LAND BACK

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jsoh posted:

WELL gently caress I GUESS ILL JUST GIVE ALL THIS LAND BACK

"Sorry about invading you, you can have all these lovely provinces back now. Site search them for me next time kay?"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Libluini posted:

You don't want to search sites (remote or otherwise) in provinces you know are going to fall to an enemy, for example. So you'll have to accurately decide which border is safe enough for searching sites. And of course you'll have to prioritize provinces you know aren't going to fall anytime soon

This is why it's always better to start at the bottom of the map and expand up. Automatic sitsearch casting chooses the southernmost valid province, so if you start at the bottom you can shift+m with impunity

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why Abysia wouldn't site-search. Its own troops are basically immune to most fire evocation due to a combination of massive armour and fire res.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AXE COP posted:

- Set it to cast monthly

FYI this works really well with the Niefelheim turtle strategy, assuming you can scrape together the points for an E9N9S3 oracle or something similar. An easy way to do this is to drop points into a Heat dominion.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Throne provinces have the manysites terrain type. They're probably the only type of province worth using acashic reader on.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

This is why it's always better to start at the bottom of the map and expand up. Automatic sitsearch casting chooses the southernmost valid province, so if you start at the bottom you can shift+m with impunity

I thought it was based on province number, which happens to correlate with north-south direction.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Decrepus posted:

If you don't expand at all beyond the cap circle your entire army can respond instantly to aggression.

You also only have 4-6 provinces to set to 100PD :shepface:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
JonJoe asked for the latest list of signups by nation:

pre:
3: MA Oceania
4: LA Caelum
6: MA Pelagia
6: MA Atlantis
6: MA Eriu
6: EA Oceania
7: MA Agartha
7: LA Lemuria
7: MA Shinuyama
7: LA Pangaea
7: EA Pelagia
8: MA T'ien Ch'i
8: LA Arcoscephale
9: MA R'lyeh
9: LA T'ien Ch'i
9: MA Ashdod
10: LA Utgard
10: MA Machaka
10: LA Patala
10: MA Ermor
10: EA Kailasa
10: LA Pythium
10: MA Bandar Log
10: MA Abysia
11: MA Vanheim
11: MA Caelum
11: LA Mictlan
11: LA Abysia
11: MA Jotunheim
11: LA R'lyeh
11: LA Gath
11: EA R'lyeh
11: LA Agartha
11: EA Atlantis
12: MA Sceleria
12: MA Mictlan
12: MA Pythium
12: MA Pangaea
12: MA Man
12: EA Caelum
12: EA Abysia
13: EA Pangaea
13: EA T'ien Ch'i
13: LA Marignon
13: MA Arcoscephale
13: MA Marignon
13: MA Vanarus
14: EA Hinnom
14: EA Helheim
14: LA C'tis
15: EA Ermor
15: LA Jomon
15: EA Marverni
15: EA C'tis
15: EA Vanheim
15: EA Mictlan
16: MA Ulm
16: EA Tir na n'Og
16: EA Machaka
17: EA Fomoria
17: LA Midgard
17: LA Man
17: LA Atlantis
17: LA Bogarus
18: EA Ur
18: EA Agartha
18: EA Arcoscephale
18: MA C'tis
18: EA Yomi
19: MA Asphodel
19: EA Lanka
21: LA Ulm
21: EA Berytos
21: EA Sauromatia
21: EA Niefelheim
24: EA Ulm

86 unknown (assuming these are mostly NationGen)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
MA Oceania is the most signed up for nation...

That is bullshit and weird, man.

e: oh I think I had it completely backward, in which case: :lol: @ Ulm

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

How are u posted:

MA Oceania is the most signed up for nation...

That is bullshit and weird, man.

e: oh I think I had it completely backward, in which case: :lol: @ Ulm

Yep. EA Ulm as the most signups, followed by Niefel/Sauro/Bery/LA Ulm

In all honesty the Ulms aren't so bad, EA and LA have interesting components in the Dom4 metagame & mechanics. No surprise at Niefel and Sauro, I think Sauro is probably the most consistently strong nation through every patch and every mod this game's ever had.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I'm just surprised to see Lanka so high up on the list. I'll figure out the best way to use you little chaos monkey demons. One day.

Seriously, is it just the blood summons?

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is there some sort of established ranking / tiering of the nations? I'd be really interested in what the vets think are the best / good / middling / difficult / don't-ever-play-ever nations (and give some succor to people like me who can say "hey, I managed to get to the end-game with <bad nation X>")

Parts of that list are really surprising - I thought MA & LA T'ien Ch'i were at least pretty good, and that Eriu was thought to actually be pretty strong? And yet they're way down that list. I guess they're just a bit boring maybe?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Gaghskull posted:

I'm just surprised to see Lanka so high up on the list. I'll figure out the best way to use you little chaos monkey demons. One day.

Seriously, is it just the blood summons?

air magic is cool. blood is cool. demon monkey.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Eriu is really good. It's also really dull. But Fir Bolg are always the best guys, and their magic is pretty decent. The real shocker there is MA Oceania. It's a pretty good nation. Can do a lot of stuff.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Eriu is really good. It's also really dull. But Fir Bolg are always the best guys, and their magic is pretty decent. The real shocker there is MA Oceania. It's a pretty good nation. Can do a lot of stuff.

The wish engine is unstoppable in the right hands. The only real way to stop the wish engine is for the land nations to win the game before it comes online.

In the wrong hands though, meh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You really need to compare each age individually. We don't have that many all-age games.

I'm really surprised that Oceania gets taken less than Pelagia. At least Oceania can get onto land.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Pelagia has a gimmick and that means a lot to a lot of people.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

The wish engine is unstoppable in the right hands. The only real way to stop the wish engine is for the land nations to win the game before it comes online.
Ah yes, the Alt-9, S9, hundred-pearl New Meta with a per-turn total benefit of about twenty pearls and no combat utility.

(Oceania also has pretty OK coastal fort troop recruits, which is why it's doubly shocking compared to Pelagia).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Ah yes, the Alt-9, S9, hundred-pearl New Meta with a per-turn total benefit of about twenty pearls and no combat utility.

(Oceania also has pretty OK coastal fort troop recruits, which is why it's doubly shocking compared to Pelagia).

Nobody has more pearls than Pelagia, ever. Pelagia can dispel any global they want with ease and can throw up any astral global (like say Nexus) they want with enough pearls behind it to be basically undispellable.

Also MA Pelagia's Triton Knights are possibly the best cavalry unit in the game; if they were amphibious they would single-handedly elevate MA Pelagia to Mictlan tier.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FnF posted:

Is there some sort of established ranking / tiering of the nations? I'd be really interested in what the vets think are the best / good / middling / difficult / don't-ever-play-ever nations (and give some succor to people like me who can say "hey, I managed to get to the end-game with <bad nation X>")

Parts of that list are really surprising - I thought MA & LA T'ien Ch'i were at least pretty good, and that Eriu was thought to actually be pretty strong? And yet they're way down that list. I guess they're just a bit boring maybe?

I am not really a vet but I've played a bunch of games at this point and have a relatively high win% and understanding of the game, I feel. In no way can I give an established tier list but I can definitely list a few of the standouts in each age as of now (in my estimation):

EA:
---
High Tier:

Mictlan (Top tier in all ages)
Tir Na Nog (Good at everything)
Fomoria (Arguably one of the top nations in the game)
Ur (One of the few gimmicks that is really versatile and comes into play early in the game, also good mages and H3s)

Maybe High Tier?
Berytos (Very strong paths and sailing and income)
C'Tis (C'tis is High-Mid tier in every age honestly)

Bottom Tier
Ulm (No endgame)
Caelum (No early game)
Abysia (Easily countered)

MA: (I haven't played as much MA so this isn't as good a list)
---
God Tier:

Ermor (Even though Ermor rarely wins thats because it takes the rest of the players all ganging up from the start to stop him and everyone knows this)

High Tier:
Mictlan (Maybe the weakest Mictlan but still Mictlan)
Ashdod (Incredibly dangerous sacreds if they are allowed to get rolling)
Sceleria (Reanimation for early expansion and great chaff, H3s that can natively cast Teleport, fantastic communions, D and S magic in spades)

Maybe High Tier?
Asphodel (I've heard very good things about them, but haven't played them enough)
Tien Chi (Once again, I've heard they are very good in MA but haven't played them)

Bottom Tier
Marignon (Just bad)
Abyssia (Easily Countered)

LA:
---

High Tier:

Mictlan (Seriously gently caress mictlan)
Ulm (Very mediocre early game that is vulnerable to infantry rushdown. Absolutely unbelievable midgame and probably the best lategame in the game. Iron Blizzard into heavy vamps and blood econ followed by Astral Corruption + Send Horror is virtually unbeatable if you're allowed to get there)
Midgard (Amazing early game, Thunderstrike spam, Rain of Stones, and even sailing
Atlantis (Amazing sacreds, great mages, amphibious)

Maybe High Tier?

Bottom Tier
Marignon (Terrible early and mid game, but if left alone are very dangerous late game)
Caelum (No early game)
Pangaea (Awful mages)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
On top of that, there are some nations that maybe don't shine much in FFA but are very good in Disciples (disciples rules btw). Nations that are worth checking out in team games include fun options like:

Vanarus
Jomun/Yomi/Shinu
Support Marignon (anyone with a good blood econ and mobility can play excellent support)

Basically almost every nation can play a useful role in a team game, even otherwise "Bad" nations, since they typically shine at something specific (except, for example, LA Pan).

Important things to keep in mind in team games when choosing nations:

1. Do we have blood sac or easy domspread?
2. Who is our early game/mid game/late game player?
3. How are we going to support that player(s) at their specific stage of the game?
4. When we do reach the endgame how do the other players transition into the proper support role for the endgame player?

It is very hard to win a disciples game without some form of domspread, and blood magic is a good thing to consider including on any team regardless of the composition. And even a "bad" nation like LA Marig can play a very important role on a team, as such:

1. Marig has amazing blood sac on h2 and h3 priests
2. Marig is awful in the early and mid game but makes a lot of money, can send crossbows against specific targets, can sail around to disrupt the opponent, and can create a very strong blood economy with its mages to support a variety of strategies. In the late game, Marig can actually become the primary blood powerhouse with kitted Fallen Angels, high level summons, armies of demons, and other goodies, in addition to turning the blood sac into overdrive
3. Marig is basically built for support. Good remote attack options, blood econ, domspread, quick sailing to backstab forts and important objectives, and can simply pump blood slaves over to another player if that's the best route to go.
4. If Marig isn't going to be the endgame powerhouse, the best thing to do is probably to have Marig avoid researching down the blood tree at all and instead ship all the blood slaves to another player who also has blood magic. In the meantime the Marig player should be researching communions and powerful fire magic and using their mobility to strike at the enemy backfield while hoarding Boots of Flying and other tools to give their H3s mobility for throne claiming and other tasks while massing temples and blood saccers.

In a team game it's much more important that the nation fit the role well than it is for the nation to be objectively powerful.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Both EA and MA Pan are very good, both in single MP and disciple MP (assuming you don't get seduced by the thought of having hordes of naked women at your command) and use their regular troops. Solid troop line up, nature/earth mages for buffing said troops, and a few other nifty tricks mean they do well in the early/mid game. White centaurs with one major bless (W or N) can carry you surprisingly far in the first few years.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Foolish to put EA Ulm at the bottom of the list. Endgame potential barely matters in Dom4, most games don't even get to turn 50. In terms of strength that matters, EA Ulm is probably edging on the Berytos/C'tis level.

Just making a very quick list:
EA
High Tier
Hinnom
Fomoria
Sauro
Niefel
Mictlan
TNN

Up there
Berytos
C'tis
Ulm
Ur - good gimmick but weak paths
Helheim/Vanheim - glamour goes much farther in Dom4

Bottom
Caelum - STR changes gutted them
Oceania

With EA, because there are so many standouts (generally a high-power age), it might be better to move everything down a bit:
High Tier - Hinnom, Mictlan, Fomoria
Up there - Sauro, Niefel, TNN
Bottom - Caelum, Oceania

MA
High Tier
Ermor
Mictlan
Ashphodel
Ashdod
Vanheim - e: how could I forget Vanheim. skinshifters alone can carry you to a game win. nevermind top-tier A battlemagic and thugs and glamour stuff.

Up there
C'tis
Eriu

Bottom
Vanarus? - I can see arguments that they're better than this, but there are no standouts in the troop lineup and the mage lineup is weak and expensive. Not a nation with any real strengths.
Arco - Not being able to spam Astrologers hurts them a lot. No troop standouts either. Very one-dimensional nation.
Marignon - Just has nothing.

LA
High Tier
Mictlan
Ulm
Midgard
Atlantis

Up there
TC - cavalry is the best in the game. mages no slouch if a bit costly. can do a lot with just strong troops.
C'tis? - improvement in their troop lineup from Dom3 makes up for weakening the Sauromancer thanks to RP changes and STR, and destroying the reanimation engine. still strong, but no longer top tier, possibly no longer up there

Bottom
Pythium - they just plain suck. candidate for worst nation in the game.
Arco - see ma arco, except a worse path selection
Caelum - ugh. the other candidate.
Pangaea - the mages can't really do anything without support paths, the troops are way too expensive. this is a nation that could easily be turned good in a balance mod. it just has bad numbers.

Discussion points:
LA Marignon - good arguments to be made that they aren't as bad as they seem, but LA Marignon was arguably the strongest LA nation in Dom3, so the eroding of many of their strengths in the Dom4 iteration seems extreme. that said its not like the troop lineup can't do expansion phase, flaming arrows can hold the early-mid, and you can still do T-strike communions and a blood econ -> storm demons & blood sac. it just takes way more effort for every component.
LA Lemuria - a lot of players thought this nation was poo poo at first glance, but people have started to figure it out. not top tier, but no longer in the poophouse. top tier potential if there are more innovations
EA/MA TC - I don't think they're half as good as people make them out to be. The troop lineup is generic, the mages are diverse but require research, there's no real standouts other than EA's WotFE. If you're in a duel EA TC is one of the best nations in the game. In FFA, they're middling.
EA/MA Pan - like TC, you get one good gimmick (White Centaurs) and adequate support. That doesn't make the nation top tier, it makes it average.
MA Sceleria - Another nation that takes forever to get their ball rolling, and once it's rolling it's an easily countered kind of rolling. You aren't going for endgame D magic in Dom4, the game is decided by ~turn 40. Pretty average nation IMO, some strengths, lots of weaknesses.
Abysia - when they're strong they're strong. blood magic also goes a long way. I can't really call them bottom tier when it's very easy to just get rolled by high prot troops that you can't counter. That said, that kind of binary power goes both ways.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 1, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rank MA Pythium? Between very powerful mages and priests, tower shield-and-javelin-wielding infantry with great morale, powerful heavy cavalry with low encumbrance, easy access to communions and outstanding thugs in the form of Harbingers, they seem like a nation that has it all. The only real flaw I can find is that their sacred unit is pretty crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I'm playing LA Mictlan and it seems like every guide I read emphasizes getting wooden warriors at some point. In my test games though it seems underwhelming, particularly:

1. The wooden warrior buff seesms to be lost when jags go to their second form, so that seems like a giant waste
2. In LA the extra protection doesn't feel like much of a force multiplier since it only gets applied to your human form dudes who die hella quick regardless
3. I just kind of assume I could get better results from level 5 research in a bunch of other schools, especially a faster blood 5 + const

Am I missing something? Or is rushing alt 5 more of an EA objective?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread