Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

For what it's worth, I thought VHS2 was better than the first one, particularly the Indonesian school vignette.

That vignette was really great but it was the only bright spot of the entire movie. I honestly wouldn't fault anyone who watched only that vignette.

The rest of the movie really wasn't up to the quality of that one segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Robokomodo posted:

Anyone got a good list of "found footage" horror or suspense available? I've probably seen a lot but I'd like to see some more.

It's not on Netflix instant, but earmark it because I hope it will be soon. Banshee Chapter is a creepy little film based on some of the Lovecraft mythos.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That cave story was rad! That dude knows how to keep building tension and fear.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

weese36 posted:

If you liked Second Honeymoon in VHS you might like Innkeepers and House of the Devil (both of which several people recommended already, but yeah).

Hey, if you like one hour and thirty minutes of nothing then watch House of the Devil. Holy yawn.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

bunky posted:

Hey, if you like one hour and thirty minutes of nothing then watch House of the Devil. Holy yawn.

Innkeepers is also boring.

VHS works because it's short segments. Most horror drawn out for a full length film just doesn't work for me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

VHS works because it's short segments.

...so the terrible poo poo that makes up 90% of the movie is over sooner than later so you can appreciate the decent stuff that somehow wound up in it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I sort of liked VHS 1/2. There were legitimate creepy moments here and there. Watching House of the Devil tonight was one of the least enjoyable film experiences I've had in recent memory. Literally nothing happens. The first time something almost important happens is around the 45 minute mark. That's almost an hour of watching a college student talk about taking a babysitting job and getting an apartment. Then nothing happens again for 20 minutes or so. The creepy people that she babysits for are so overtly creepy that it's laughable. Nothing happens to progress the plot. Ever. I know this a horror film, but there is more substance in the Friday the 13th where Jason goes to space.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess I just don't understand how you can watch House of the Devil and not think the main character's best friend is one of the best characters in movie history.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bunky posted:

I sort of liked VHS 1/2. There were legitimate creepy moments here and there. Watching House of the Devil tonight was one of the least enjoyable film experiences I've had in recent memory. Literally nothing happens. The first time something almost important happens is around the 45 minute mark. That's almost an hour of watching a college student talk about taking a babysitting job and getting an apartment. Then nothing happens again for 20 minutes or so. The creepy people that she babysits for are so overtly creepy that it's laughable. Nothing happens to progress the plot. Ever. I know this a horror film, but there is more substance in the Friday the 13th where Jason goes to space.

House of the Devil is really good and so is Innkeepers. Maybe you would prefer a movie with lots of cheap jump scares where the characters are all jackasses going to a party instead

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Korean action/suspense flick called Committed on Netflix. It's about a North Korean spy, it's so loving good. Watch it right now.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bunky posted:

It has a really slow build, but it helps that the atmosphere is fantastic, and the payoff is loving insane.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Coffee And Pie posted:

It has a really slow build, but it helps that the atmosphere is fantastic, and the payoff is loving insane.
Same for The Innkeepers, it's character driven and builds tension really well. I liked Innkeepers more, but still really liked both of them.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I thought HotD was much better than Innkeepers, but I might give Innkeepers another shot. It's not on Netflix (its on Amazon/itunes) but definitely check out Ti West's newest (Jonestown Massacre-inspired) The Sacrament.

If you like gross horror, Contracted is up. It's about a girl who gets a mysterious virus after getting raped by a man who had a thing for necrophilia and the movie gets progressively more violent and gross. STD-horror.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Same for The Innkeepers, it's character driven and builds tension really well. I liked Innkeepers more, but still really liked both of them.

How? In what way does it build any tension at all? Nothing happens for an hour and half and then a woman falls down the stairs. The rest of the movie is inane conversation tangentially related to the plot. It was like Deathproof without the interesting conversation or payoff at the end.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The leads are really great together, their acting is solid and their dialogue captures the idle "two people working together at a monotonous dead end job" banter, while also being really entertaining. Plus there's the not so subtle undertone of the guy being into the girl, but she doesn't necessarily feel the same way. The movie has plenty of tense scenes, starting with all the ghost hunting late at night; these slowly build up tension then release it, and it was done really well. And it pays off at the end a couple times with the cellar, starting with this one which in the full movie right after results in the culmination of the relationship between the two leads.

Don't watch this obviously unless you want to see an ending scene from The Innkeepers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj3A_jvoHis

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah, The Innkeepers is a slow burn, which I recognize isn't for everyone. If you like atmosphere over action, The Innkeepers does a great job of giving the viewer an uneasy feeling throughout the movie. I'd compare it to The Changeling, or even Session 9 in that way.

If you like fun slasher-type movies I'd avoid it, and instead watch Slither, because that movie is awesome.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
Can we request TV recommendations? My husband and I like to watch TV after work. However, he works a very emotionally draining job, and most of the good stuff out there today is really grimdark. Anyone have any recommendations for light-hearted or funny shows available to stream? We recently marathoned through Psych and loved it. Already seen 30 Rock and the like.

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pizza cat posted:

Can we request TV recommendations? My husband and I like to watch TV after work. However, he works a very emotionally draining job, and most of the good stuff out there today is really grimdark. Anyone have any recommendations for light-hearted or funny shows available to stream? We recently marathoned through Psych and loved it. Already seen 30 Rock and the like.

I'm a fan of The League though I suppose it's not for everyone.
Comedy Band Bang is pretty much as light as you can get.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

pizza cat posted:

Amazon added a bunch of HBO shows. Try Eastbound & Down and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia always makes me smile, as does Black Adder.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pizza cat posted:

I gave Parks an Rec another shot and am really happy I did.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quantum Leap is pretty light hearted and they have the whole run on there

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Inzombiac posted:

I gave Parks an Rec another shot and am really happy I did.

It definitely picks up a lot after season 2, though, when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe join. Honestly if I was recommending it to someone I might just tell them to skip through seasons 1 and 2 entirely.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

pizza cat posted:

I just started watching Lie to Me again. It isn't super light hearted, but it's a fun take on the "find out who the bad guy is" kind of shows. The group reads body language to discover lies and reveal the truth behind all suspects. It has its chuckle moments as well. I can certainly unwind with an episode before I head to bed.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

pizza cat posted:

Can we request TV recommendations?

Try "Bunk" on Netflix. It's a goofy, fake gameshow with comedians as the contestants.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Opopanax posted:

Quantum Leap is pretty light hearted and they have the whole run on there

They filled in the missing episodes? That was the most annoying poo poo, like 85% of the episodes were on there when it first showed up on Netflix.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

pizza cat posted:

Have you seen Castle? It's about a crime novelist and a detective solving unusual murders and it's very lighthearted, pretty funny and has a fairly decent background plot running through all the seasons. Nathan Fillion plays Castle that should probably let you know whether you'll like it or not.

Series 1 +2 are on Netflix, while 1-5 are on Amazon prime.

The Supreme Court has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jun 2, 2014

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

pizza cat posted:

edit: Not sure if the first two are on instant actually but if you get discs...

The first 1-2 seasons of Glee and Community are both good* and not grimdark.

I just got done watching all 5 seasons of Leverage which is like a high-tech no-shooting version of The A-Team which is probably why I continued to watch it despite the poor writing and acting.

If you like English comedy at all I would recommend The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, Todd is American but it's set in England and therefore you'll get the most out of it if you at least somewhat understand the references made. There is also Sherlock starring Cumbatchman which is rather witty and good but that might tread close to the grimdark I don't know.

Welp that's enough of my bad taste for now.

*subjective of course

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bunky posted:

Literally nothing happens. The first time something almost important happens is around the 45 minute mark. That's almost an hour of watching a college student talk about taking a babysitting job and getting an apartment. Then nothing happens again for 20 minutes or so.

Sounds like the original Black Christmas, except in that movie nothing happens for the first 55 minutes.

pizza cat posted:

wormil posted:

I highly recommend Murdoch Mysteries, season 1-5 are on Prime. Murdoch is a nerdy police detective in the 1880's who 'invents' modern-ish criminal science to solve murders. It's a little bit steam punk and there are many cameos by historical figures of the period like Buffalo Bill, Tesla, A.C. Doyle, and Jack London. The show covers all the bases from comedy, romance, serious, political, and philosophical, along with genuine character development. Rarely are the mysteries straight forward yet avoid cheesy twists.

Murdoch is the answer to all your questions. Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix, 1-5 are on Prime.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Totally TWISTED posted:

I just got done watching all 5 seasons of Leverage which is like a high-tech no-shooting version of The A-Team which is probably why I continued to watch it despite the poor writing and acting.

The very first episode of Leverage tops my list of greatest single hours of television ever. My god what a fun show.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

pizza cat posted:

Netflix Uk has That Mitchell and Webb Look, which after several re-watchings still cracks me up. Peep Show (same guys) is on Netflix UK and US.

(edit)

And then you will understand all the David Mitchell jokes in PYF.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MrGreenShirt posted:

The very first episode of Leverage tops my list of greatest single hours of television ever. My god what a fun show.

Agree on the first episode but it's so awesome the next few episodes are letdowns in comparison. After that you realize it's just "fun".

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

13Pandora13 posted:

Korean action/suspense flick called Committed on Netflix. It's about a North Korean spy, it's so loving good. Watch it right now.

This was a really good recommendation. The subtitles are a bit spotty, but it never affects anything important. Good plot, good acting, good movie.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Sylvain Chomet's The Triplets of Belleville was added to instant watch today along with some other good choices.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pizza cat posted:

Freaks and Geeks is pretty joyful and life-affirming. Bob's Burgers is transcendent, and if you like it Prime has Home Movies from the same people.

If you like Psych, Eureka is more or less the science fiction equivalent.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
People obviously go for horror movies where nothing happens ever considering they keep making more and more Paranormal Activity movies. Rarely does the box art to a movie show you 90% of the runtime but there it is!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Whispering Machines posted:

Parks and Rec - It definitely picks up a lot after season 2, though, when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe join. Honestly if I was recommending it to someone I might just tell them to skip through seasons 1 and 2 entirely.

I skipped Season 1 and started on Season 2 and loved it. I went back later and watched Season 1 and it isn't very good. So yeah, start with Season 2 and you will not really miss anything, and it is way better.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Jack Gladney posted:

Bob's Burgers is transcendent.

Haha, I love this statement. It really is fantastic. There are three seasons up now. Watch it and have some serious fun.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

pizza cat posted:

White Collar is fantastic. The first few episodes are a bit of a miss, but stick with it, and they tweak a few characters and move stuff around and it is just perfect. Funny, smart, and cool crimes and cons in every episode, and the slow burn relationship between Peter (FBI) and Neal (Conman) is fantastic.

Also, seconding Leverage. (if you haven't seen it)

Adding that Sherlock is most definitely 'grimdark'. :S

Been trying to watch Burn Notice, but it isn't doing it for me yet. Might give it a few more, but I am about 5 episodes in.

I have a similar situation, my wife doesn't like grim, disturbing, or violent shows... it's tough to find stuff we both like because Breaking Bad, game of thrones (stuff I tend to like) isn't anywhere on her radar. Every once and a while, we find a gem that we can both pour through that doesn't have rape and/or child abuse.

ZenMaster has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Jun 2, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
SeaQuest DSV is on netflix. It's mid-90s NBC sci-fi and perfect poo poo to watch and laugh at.

It's a show that a lot of people have vague memories of, but thought it was a whiskey fever dream. Nope, that show exists. It feels more like a parody of TV sci-fi, like something you'd find on adult swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Meatwave posted:

SeaQuest DSV is on netflix. It's mid-90s NBC sci-fi and perfect poo poo to watch and laugh at.

It's a show that a lot of people have vague memories of, but thought it was a whiskey fever dream. Nope, that show exists. It feels more like a parody of TV sci-fi, like something you'd find on adult swim.

I refuse to watch it because I loved it so much as a kid

• Locked thread