Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why is Magneto hella ripped? This Magneto looks like he just bends metal with raw brawniness. This Magneto doesn't even look like he uses mind-radar to manipulate magnets. How's Magneto get quads like those by just waving his arms around???

He got an invite to M. Bison's Final Boss Gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think they should have used Magik in there, maybe. Her character already has time travel powers and teleportation powers, too.

There is a strange look from Bobby to Kitty in the film. A rumor I seem to have heard was that Rogue's character was supposed to have died in a prison break scene in the film that was cut.

I sort of wonder if the thing was that Rogue by the events of post-X3 gets her powers back and eventually gets an ability to not only steal powers but give them to people, too. (Sort of like the guy from Misfits.) If film was originally supposed to have featured Rogue and killed her off, I wonder if they'd planned to show Rogue pulling a reverse of her powers as a dying act to give the new ones to Kitty along with a snippet of her personality in the process. It sort of explains Bobby's glance and Kitty's new powers and how Singer's comments of cutting the Rogue scenes for pacing/time but thinking them important enough to film anyway.

Kitty already had the ability to travel through time. She's the one who actually travels back in time in Days of Future Past.

I will agree that using Illyana would have made more sense if they really wanted to send someone back in time physically (Colossus realized he had powers by saving her from a runaway tractor on their farm, so him even being there implies Illyana exists, and Illyana sends her entire body, not just her consciousness back), but adding her in would start the Legacy Virus fiasco.

Lolitas Alright! has a new favorite as of 19:49 on May 30, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

They only sent her brain back because she was the only one that Prof. X hadn't trained to fight off psychic attacks in the past yet, it didn't have anything to do with her powers. They probably would've sent someone else if they could get away with it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Haha, wait, what? Couldn't you just send someone further back to before he taught them how to fight off psychic attacks?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ignite Memories posted:

Haha, wait, what? Couldn't you just send someone further back to before he taught them how to fight off psychic attacks?

That would probably just end up snowballing into a bunch of retcons and poo poo because everyone else joined the team years before then. She ended up being the right deux ex for the job in the end anyway.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

IMJack posted:

Magneto powers would be awesome at the gym. You could push yourself way harder if you could use your stupid powers to spot yourself whenever you were failing.

Also you could increase the hindrance on the weights used by nerds and ruin their motivation by convincing them they cannot lift 25 pounds. You'd win every lift competition and earn all the sweaty muscle-man pussy to which you are entitled.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

Explains the quads.

For you, the day Bison approved your membership was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Leg day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pneub posted:

They only sent her brain back because she was the only one that Prof. X hadn't trained to fight off psychic attacks in the past yet, it didn't have anything to do with her powers. They probably would've sent someone else if they could get away with it.

They also had a choice of wolverine, storm, colossus, Franklin Richards, or kitty

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

bobkatt013 posted:

We also know that she got her powers back since the cure does not work permanently.

I watched X3 again recently and I was wondering about this. I haven't watched any special features or commentaries or anything, so I'm only going on what happens during the feature. The only evidence we have of the cure not being permanent is the clip right at the end of Magneto moving the chess piece, but I think that Magneto is the exception when considering all the mutants shot with cure weapons and cured voluntarily. I'm basing this on two assumptions: first that for the cure to work as intended, the receiving party would need to get the correct dose, and that the cure weapons work on the same principle as other dart syringes.

A dart syringe injects the drug when the dart hits something as he momentum of the plunger carries it forward when the rest of the dart stops. Without a significant change in velocity, none of the syringe's content will be injected. Beast has superhuman strength/speed but the speed of his arm is nowhere close to that of the guns that the darts were designed for. So Magneto will get a minuscule amount of cure from four darts, which is far less than whatever the recommended dose of cure is. So there's a definite possibility that Magneto would recover even if nobody to whom the cure was properly administered does.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I always thought it was Rachel's power that made that happen, not Kitty. Rachel's wiki states:

"Rachel managed to send Kate's consciousness into the past to her younger self to prevent the assassination" and one of Rachel's powers consisted of "Temporal Astral Projection", which I'd assume was just a fancy name of sending a mind through time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

I always thought it was Rachel's power that made that happen, not Kitty. Rachel's wiki states:

"Rachel managed to send Kate's consciousness into the past to her younger self to prevent the assassination" and one of Rachel's powers consisted of "Temporal Astral Projection", which I'd assume was just a fancy name of sending a mind through time.

That's it.

I guess this is the only time in history where you can say "The 16 y.o. girl being the only one vulnerable to mind-rape was a good thing."

Pneub has a new favorite as of 08:16 on May 31, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In Up, how does the the pilot live so long? We follow the main character from childhood to seniority, so the pilot would be about 1.5 times his age.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whatev posted:

Magneto powers would be awesome at the gym. You could push yourself way harder if you could use your stupid powers to spot yourself whenever you were failing.

Also you could increase the hindrance on the weights used by nerds and ruin their motivation by convincing them they cannot lift 25 pounds. You'd win every lift competition and earn all the sweaty muscle-man pussy to which you are entitled.

If you had Magneto's powers, the maximum fun at the gym could be achieved with the following steps.

1) Load up a bar with 200kg.

2) Stand facing a wall so nobody can see you from the front.

3) Unzip your trousers as loudly as possible.

4) Start levitating the bar up and down at waist height.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That loving Sned posted:

In Up, how does the the pilot live so long? We follow the main character from childhood to seniority, so the pilot would be about 1.5 times his age.

I think the pilot is pretty young. Looking it up, Carl is 8 at the start of the film when he meets his future wife and watches the pilot, Charles Muntz, at the cinema. He's 78 when he's an old man. If you assume Muntz is in his 20s when Carl is a kid, which isn't implausible, he'd be in his early/mid 90s when he meets Carl as an old man. Given he's a rich guy with a healthy lifestyle, I can see it being possible, especially since the film isn't taking a 100% realistic tone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There was originally a Fountain of Youth sub-plot as well, but that got cut for being pretty distracting I think?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I watched X3 again recently and I was wondering about this. I haven't watched any special features or commentaries or anything, so I'm only going on what happens during the feature. The only evidence we have of the cure not being permanent is the clip right at the end of Magneto moving the chess piece, but I think that Magneto is the exception when considering all the mutants shot with cure weapons and cured voluntarily. I'm basing this on two assumptions: first that for the cure to work as intended, the receiving party would need to get the correct dose, and that the cure weapons work on the same principle as other dart syringes.

A dart syringe injects the drug when the dart hits something as he momentum of the plunger carries it forward when the rest of the dart stops. Without a significant change in velocity, none of the syringe's content will be injected. Beast has superhuman strength/speed but the speed of his arm is nowhere close to that of the guns that the darts were designed for. So Magneto will get a minuscule amount of cure from four darts, which is far less than whatever the recommended dose of cure is. So there's a definite possibility that Magneto would recover even if nobody to whom the cure was properly administered does.

This would be the most :spergin: exposition in a film ever.

"No, you see Dr X, because of the relative velocity of Beast compared to a gun I was only give a 20th of the dose. Here, let me show you on this whiteboard."
:goonsay:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I don't get about the Blade movie series is the whole "pureblood vampire" thing. If vampires are supposed to be immortal and/or undead I don't understand how they would age or reproduce.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the way it works is, if you are bitten, you are a lower class vamp. If you are born into the family, you are a higher class vamp.

Biologically, I don't think they are dead. I think they are just a predator subspecies. The whole "viral" thing with the first movie and the retrovirus cure thingie, etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah pretty much. Blade vampires are a separate species with certain biological characteristics, they aren't undead.

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about The Raid 2 is how they just kill off the corrupt cop and Rama's brother in the first five minutes. If you skipped the very beginning you could watch it on its own without considering it a sequel.

They made The Raid 2 first, but stopped due to insufficient funds. They switched to making The Raid instead because it was simpler/had a lower budget. Maybe that helps to explain why it doesn't feel much like a sequel, though I guess it doesn't entirely excuse what you mention about the treatment of those two characters.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Watched Pacific Rim earlier today, one thing bothered me.

Why on earth did the government think making a giant wall over giant robots was a good idea? did they like, expect the monsters to give up and go home?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
On pacific rim. How can they complain about a budget anyways. The world is about to be taken over. Screw the debt and start printing money or you know just ignore the money thing and save the world:

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Why on earth did the government think making a giant wall over giant robots was a good idea? did they like, expect the monsters to give up and go home?
Plot device Mr. Frodo, plot device. The Jaeger program is the plucky underdog against hilariously inept politicians who left them out to dry. Cue epic music. Trying to read into Pacific Rim just leads to a bunch of dead ends. Just like mooooost of the end.

Also I still swear to god David Allen Grier is in the background of Fight Club during one of the fights, yelling and cheering.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pixeltendo posted:

Darth Freddy posted:

On pacific rim. How can they complain about a budget anyways. The world is about to be taken over. Screw the debt and start printing money or you know just ignore the money thing and save the world:

The answer to both of these is that ever since Watergate happened having the government be stupid, incompetent, or outright evil is a cheap and easy way to generate drama and smug nods of agreement from the audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

They started the wall thing because the Jaegers were losing.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Darth Freddy posted:

The wall project was a way of ensuring all the poor people who needed jobs moved to the coastal regions while the rich and powerful picked up their poo poo and moved inland.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Edit. Delayed phone double post.

Villain of the Week
Dec 25, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Kind of like global warming.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pixeltendo posted:

They thought that that the kaiju were just wild animals that were stumbling through the portal, so a wall covered in guns should have been enough to dissuade them long enough for them to wander around and starve to death or something. Plus, the Jaegers were dying faster than they could be built (of course, this may not have been the case if the governments hadn't been wasting resources on the wall).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Villain of the Week posted:

Kind of like global warming.

Difference is that people still don't believe in global warming. It's hard to disbelieve a 300-meter monster that's destroying the gently caress out of everything.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

In Crank 2 there is a long scene where the mexican main goon is cutting off his own nipples to make up for his failure and to show how loving hardass these guys are. It breaks the pace of the movie completely, it's really jarring. Especially since earlier there was a scene where the same mexican cut off one of the asian gang members elbows, just to show what a hardass he is.

The entire start - stop - start - stop - start pacing of Crank 2 really hurt it a lot, the first one starts the action when Chev smashes his tv and ends when he hit ground. The sequel has a long recap/surgery intro, breaks into a tense gunfight and then it stops. And starts again after rendering the ending to Crank 1 moot. And stops.

They even made the sex scene overstay its welcome, it's like the average video game sequel where it's all over the top and better than the game one, but it's trying too much and lacks the soul of the first.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Because while to us the viewer and to the main characters its obviously the end of the world, to the other people its just a disaster that keeps happening. The monsters are only attacking countries along a pretty narrow part of the world, people in Europe/most of Asia and Africa probably don't really care about whats going on with the Kaiju, except academically.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
The Wilhelm Scream ruins pretty much any immersion I get in any film it's used in. It doesn't make me irrationally hate the entire film, it just... well it's used in everything everywhere and I hear it all the drat time and just makes me sigh.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

dpack_1 posted:

The Wilhelm Scream ruins pretty much any immersion I get in any film it's used in. It doesn't make me irrationally hate the entire film, it just... well it's used in everything everywhere and I hear it all the drat time and just makes me sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8aBFTVNEU
Actually some funny ones in there. I don't know, I get a laugh out of it when it's completely obvious and shoved in your face. But when it's hidden in a 'clever' way, it just ruins it for me. It belongs in schlocky scenes, don't mask it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Days since last Wilhelm post 0

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Actually, something something Howie scream,

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Yeah, admittedly I didn't read many pages and was sure it'd already be in here.

Still annoying as gently caress.

Other things that really bug me, I took a media studies class like 12 or 13 years ago and the only thing that really stuck was how conversations between two people were often filmed with one character voicing out their entire dialogue, and then a second shot put together with the other characters content at a different angle. And of course it then being stitched together in post production editing.

This helps with avoiding a bunch of continuity errors in positioning of actors and what not. But in contrast it can also cause a massive issue if the over the shoulder shot puts one of the actors in a different position. I cringe hard when i see someones hand going from holding a cup of coffee to propping up their face in every alternating shot in a 2 person dialogue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saw Godzilla last night, and while I did enjoy it on the whole one thing bugged me. Every time a building collapsed, Elizabeth Olsen was in a subway station underneath it.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is from the Uncanny Valley, but that's nothing to do with the movie - and besides, I'd rather see a weird looking person in movies than suffer an endless stream of identikit Barbie dolls. Real life has weird and ugly people, movies irritate me when they don't.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know in what world Elisabeth Olsen would be considered ugly or weird-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Saw Godzilla last night, and while I did enjoy it on the whole one thing bugged me. Every time a building collapsed, Elizabeth Olsen was in a subway station underneath it.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is from the Uncanny Valley, but that's nothing to do with the movie - and besides, I'd rather see a weird looking person in movies than suffer an endless stream of identikit Barbie dolls. Real life has weird and ugly people, movies irritate me when they don't.

Does she suffer from Lois Lane syndrome where she somehow teleports all over the god damned world to be involved in the movie, like in Man of Steel?

Haven't seen the big G yet, but just curious.