Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Got some good deals today. Hit up the Target b1g1 40% on creator sets for a couple of $18 sets, used a 20% coupon at TRU on a small arctic city set that are new to me (snowmobiles, dogsled teams, cool arctic fur hats). TRU also had a deal going on where you buy any set, any price, and get a free poly bag of the Spider-Man Glider. Grabbed a Star Wars polybag I hadn't seen that looked cool and got two gliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is Ecto 1 going to be available through the online store? UK goon here.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Next series of minifigs preview: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/first-image-of-collectible-minifigures-series-12/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lofty132 posted:

Is Ecto 1 going to be available through the online store? UK goon here.

I can't think of any reason why not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yooooo, that warrior woman. I was fairly pissed that the viking woman had a slope block for legs, this one nicely fixes their "gotta have dresses!" female characters while giving them moving legs. The Lara Croft lookalike next to her looks like a good figure too, and the bow looks like a new piece? Gamer dork is pretty neat, the space warrior looks good too and appears to have the contamination suit guy's helmet, Merlin is Merlin and what-the-gently caress-ever to the three musketeer guy.

Three I'm looking forward to a lot, one I like but wouldn't want more than one of, one that's decent, and one that's a waste of a slot.

All in all, a pretty good preview so far!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Actually the Merlin looks more like Pierce Hawthorne as a Laser Lotus.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

I can't think of any reason why not.

So I need to be on first thing tomorrow morning to bag one?

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I was very excited to see that the Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!! comes with robot disguise Emmett. Does anyone know if we're supposed to get a set with robot Wyldstyle or wild west Emmett? I need Emmett's face with the mustache.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Lofty132 posted:

So I need to be on first thing tomorrow morning to bag one?

I heard they made way more of these than the Deloreans so I doubt it'll sell out too quickly.
There's a 3rd party store on eBay selling them now for RRP and free delivery but you'd miss out on the VIP points.
Apparently John Lewis have them on shelves already in a bunch of their stores too if you have one nearby and you can't wait!

Edit: just bought one off the shelf in Jenners in Edinburgh, it's £49.99 but they have a 15% off sale today and tomorrow on all Lego so it goes through at £42.50.

Griever fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 31, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

parque bynch posted:

I was very excited to see that the Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!! comes with robot disguise Emmett. Does anyone know if we're supposed to get a set with robot Wyldstyle or wild west Emmett? I need Emmett's face with the mustache.

I believe wild West Emmett was a polybag exclusive for a theater or game pre-order.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finally saw the movie last night. Amazing, awesome, etc, etc just like everyone else said, even the finance loved it. Will be getting Benny's spaceship spaceship SPACESHIP as soon as it's released.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cloks posted:

I believe wild West Emmett was a polybag exclusive for a theater or game pre-order.

Special edition of the video game comes with it. You can actually pick it up cheapish.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I take it I should basically stay up until midnight to try to order the Ecto-1 from their website? I am guessing that poo poo is going to be sold out by reseller dicks within a few minutes, and my fiance really, really, really wants one and her birthday is on the 9th.

Is staying up and trying to order right at midnight the best plan? Or do they start allowing orders at midnight eastern time, or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's certainly going to be an initial rush so if you absolutely have to have the Ecto-1 this week yeah you want to get in early.

But the BTTF Delorean is rotting on shelves all over the place, in the long run it shouldn't be hard to acquire.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

since we are talking about the cuusoo stuff, does anyone know whether lego just underestimated demand for the mars rover or whether the only way to pick one up is from scalpers?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ika posted:

since we are talking about the cuusoo stuff, does anyone know whether lego just underestimated demand for the mars rover or whether the only way to pick one up is from scalpers?

If it plays out like the delorean, another shipment should come in soon I would think and it should be easy to get thereafter.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xzzy posted:

There's certainly going to be an initial rush so if you absolutely have to have the Ecto-1 this week yeah you want to get in early.

But the BTTF Delorean is rotting on shelves all over the place, in the long run it shouldn't be hard to acquire.

When does S&H generally open for orders then, EST or PST? I'll stay up until midnight if I have to just for this present.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Cookie crisp wizard!!

I like using the unicorn piece on the space gun I never thought of that.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

jeeves posted:

When does S&H generally open for orders then, EST or PST? I'll stay up until midnight if I have to just for this present.

I called the Lego store earlier today about it and they said EST.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jeeves posted:

I just used the Lego website to preorder two Ecto-1 sets. So that is probably an option.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah I actually just did the same. As soon as you log in it gives you the preorder option, which is nice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Trying to do the pre-order but it says they are experiencing technical difficulties and I can't use my VIP points. :(

edit: And now since it's past midnight it's available and everything is working. wooo

mattfl fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 1, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I got the latest catalog in the mail, there's a coupon in the middle of it that says it's for a free ticket to Legoland with the purchase of a regular ticket, with any purchase at a Lego store/the website. Does anyone know how this works? Do I bring this coupon to a Lego store, and they'll take it and give me another coupon to bring to Legoland? Do I buy the Legoland ticket at the Lego store and get some kind of pass to bring to the park? I am confused.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

Yooooo, that warrior woman. I was fairly pissed that the viking woman had a slope block for legs, this one nicely fixes their "gotta have dresses!" female characters while giving them moving legs. The Lara Croft lookalike next to her looks like a good figure too, and the bow looks like a new piece? Gamer dork is pretty neat, the space warrior looks good too and appears to have the contamination suit guy's helmet, Merlin is Merlin and what-the-gently caress-ever to the three musketeer guy.

Three I'm looking forward to a lot, one I like but wouldn't want more than one of, one that's decent, and one that's a waste of a slot.

All in all, a pretty good preview so far!

Lara Croft is actually "Dino Tracker". Finally, I can make my Trespasser set.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
When might the Ecto-1 show up on Amazon? I've got a gift card I'd like to spend on it.

PS I'm watching Ghostbusters 2 right now. Any decent MOCs for a dancing toaster?

Edit: I'll just leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_N10A9qAVA

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 1, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Knormal posted:

So I got the latest catalog in the mail, there's a coupon in the middle of it that says it's for a free ticket to Legoland with the purchase of a regular ticket, with any purchase at a Lego store/the website. Does anyone know how this works? Do I bring this coupon to a Lego store, and they'll take it and give me another coupon to bring to Legoland? Do I buy the Legoland ticket at the Lego store and get some kind of pass to bring to the park? I am confused.

I'm not sure about the 'coupon' in the catalog, but the current promotion is any purchase at the Lego store gets you a coupon which is basically a BOGO Legoland ticket coupon. So you'd use the coupon when you purchase tickets at Legoland. The stores do not sell Legoland tickets, as Legoland is run by a separate company. If your thing in the catalog doesn't look like a coupon and doesn't look like its meant to be cut out or whatever, then I'm sure you could head over to your local Lego store and buy something small or ask them nicely if they'd be willing to just give you one. Or you could order something neat online.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

UK listing if you still need it: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Ghostbusters-Ecto-1-21108

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Ouch, I had no idea the Ghostbuster car is $50! Think I am going to take a risk and wait for it to go on sale....wishing I would have waited on the Delorean since I've seen it pop up for sale quite a few times since it was released. I imagine that they have to make a lot of sets to get a return on investment for any custom pieces needed to be produced for the set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So my trip to the Lego store this morning was very fruitful! I got Ecto-1, the GotG small set, and a bunch of freebies: a balloon cart polybag , a birthday cake polybag, a TMNT Shredder minifig and a free minifig pack to come back and build three for free! Also, 100 free VIP points! So good :)

All the new sets are out too, like the Creator Bike Shop/Cafe, all the GotG sest the X-Men Blackbird, the Fairground Mixer, Benny's SPACESHIP etc. I had to choose carefully to not spend all my money :P

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks for this, just ordered mine! I am a huge Ghostbusters fan: I have a tattoo of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man for god's sake!

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012
To all the jerks that bought an Ecto-1 from the now sold out Sheffield Lego store...I hate you. :argh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man, why isn't there a Lego store in Pittsburgh? I wanna get all sorts of free crap when I spend money on Lego :saddowns:

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Sockser posted:

Man, why isn't there a Lego store in Pittsburgh? I wanna get all sorts of free crap when I spend money on Lego :saddowns:

I briefly worked in the Cleveland store. Lots of yinzers would make the drive out to shop here. It's not as far as people think.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been working on another stand for my CMFs, for series 9, 10, 11, and the movie ones. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the internal structure let me know. Its using a lot of plates right now to hopefully improve strength when the entire stand is held together by this structure x 6.

First, a side view of the repeating unit, with and without the floor.

And the full stand, without the sides finished. I'm planning on using some sort of fencing on the left and right edges and perhaps the back as well.

E: The entire thing is going to go on my bookshelf in front of some books, so having all the loose figures on an easily removable unit will make it much easier to grab a book.

Ika fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 1, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just got back from Burlington with both a Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP and Ecto-1. Time to get buildin'. :coal:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Got me an Ecto-1 today. Feeling good.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Got me an Ecto-1 today. Feeling good.

In line in Glendale CA waiting for the store to open. A lot of goony looking fucks ahead of me.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

And they had literally 10 sets to sell. Needless to say I did not get one.

edit: they actually have more. Now queued in 1 giant line to buy/ maybe get one. They could have reLly handled this better

ltr fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2014

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Local LEGO store in North Kansas City has about 15 on the shelves and around 30 at the check outline with a few dozen more in the back, I think the manager said they received around 70 boxes for the Ecto-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Okay so the Ecto-1!

First off, though all the pre-release reviews mentioned pages falling out of the instruction books, mine had no such problem.

This build has a lot of really clever moments. The angled side windows are probably the most obvious, and they work wonderfully. The set also found a good use for the 4x4 corner plate, where it actually feels like it was used well for stability and strength instead of just being a "why not use a 2x4 with a 2x2" sort of scenario. The blue hose on the side is pretty brilliant, too - it's just one piece of hydraulic tube looped around on itself and tucked under the roof detailing so the roof can be removed easily without having to disconnect said tubing.

They're really generous with the silver bits, too - 1x1 round plates, cheese slopes, and 1x2 grill tiles in good numbers, plus a few 1x1 round bricks and a couple 1x2 cheese grater slopes. Oh, and those gorgeous hubcaps made out of the barbell weights piece. Interestingly, the set uses a bunch of 1x2 light gray cheese slopes, but no regular 1x1 light gray cheese slopes. There's a place where two of them are needed, and the set uses two silver ones instead. So yeah, definitely generous with the silver.

Also building this reminds me of how much LEGO loves to reinforce its connections. It's a total tank. The front bumper/light section is connected by 12 SNOT studs, and the sides are basically pure SNOT - there are just rows and rows of brackets for everything to connect to.

I like that they used that trick where two same-side 2x3 wing plates fit against each other to form a solid surface. Plenty of us have been doing that forever, but somebody is gonna learn about that trick for the first time in this set, and that's pretty cool.

The figs own, and their stand has the Ghostbusters logo attached in a notably clever way - it's attached by both a pair of headlight bricks and a 1x2 bracket plate, utilizing both vertical and horizontal 1/2 plate offsetting. It's completely unnecessary and entirely gratuitous, especially since white headlight bricks aren't used anywhere else in the set. It's really more of a "hey look at this cool technique" sort of thing, which is awesome.

One last thing - the current mold of the 1x1 tiles with the clip on top? They have the strongest grip I've seen in ages. Like, it's ridiculous, they have immense friction both in the clip and bottom. There are 7 points in the build where you connect a 1x1 round plate to the bottom of one, and I don't envy whoever gets to sit there and pry those fuckers back apart. I'm glad this is purely a display set for me.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2014