Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

AlternateAccount posted:

Seriously. It looked so bad in every single shot in both First Class and this. Something about Lawrence's face + this suit makes her perpetually look like she's about to doze off.

After re-watching First Class and Days of Future Past, I'm inclined to agree. Lawrence's bodysuit was terrible. I hope that they can find something better for Xmen Apoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kin posted:

It's more that's it's now all he knows. Basically 70s Wolverine should have had all the knowledge and lived his life until weapon X. Instead, due to the inconsistent ending we've now got a 2030 something Wolverine with no memories of anything since the time travel back in the 70s.

If there are any more x-men films starting Wolverine just think about how he's going to have every single thing he's doing erased from his memory then think about how stupid that is just because they wanted a fan servicey ending.

They could say that it's only for a couple of minutes and then all his other memories will also be there. It's just the shock of having the new memories

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bobkatt013 posted:

They could say that it's only for a couple of minutes and then all his other memories will also be there. It's just the shock of having the new memories

I don't really think it's the kind of silly oversight that'll ever get picked up again to be honest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why wouldn't Xavier just give him a huge blast of everything that happened over the last 30 years? It's kind of his thing. Just "Oh yeah, here you go *mental powers* ok moving on..."

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Why wouldn't Xavier just give him a huge blast of everything that happened over the last 30 years? It's kind of his thing. Just "Oh yeah, here you go *mental powers* ok moving on..."

Because Xavier isn't omnipotent. How is he going to know all the things that Wolverine has done, seen, felt, etc in the last 30 years?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kin posted:

Because Xavier isn't omnipotent. How is he going to know all the things that Wolverine has done, seen, felt, etc in the last 30 years?

He means Xavier would fill him in on all the major things that might have changed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He means Xavier would fill him in on all the major things that might have changed.

This. 30 years of history in 30 seconds. Details on when he joined the team, who everyone is, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But seriously, we see 4 minutes of the new future, that detail isn't important to the audience as it's obviously a conversation Logan and Xavier are going to have.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kin posted:

He can read minds. Presumably he's been performing regular backups in preparation for this occasion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

He can read minds. Presumably he's been performing regular backups in preparation for this occasion.

How does younger Xavier know that time-traveling Wolverine's mind will overwrite new future Wolverine? That detail is never mentioned in the past.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

But seriously, we see 4 minutes of the new future, that detail isn't important to the audience as it's obviously a conversation Logan and Xavier are going to have.

Yeah, this. A lot of these complaints seem to be people wanting the movie to be substantially longer, which is crazy to me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

How does younger Xavier know that time-traveling Wolverine's mind will overwrite new future Wolverine? That detail is never mentioned in the past.

I was joking, but he may have met Kitty Pryde by then.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well yeah, but what about any and all of his personal stuff or interactions with other characters?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

blu-ray exclusive!

45 minute "Wolverine Discovers" - 1 on 1 with Xavier & Wolverine where he gets the information HE'S MISSED.

Special guest appearances by:

Rogue
Jubilee
Gambit (CHANNING TATUM'S FIRST)
Cyclops

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, this. A lot of these complaints seem to be people wanting the movie to be substantially longer, which is crazy to me.

The movie was probably a half hour too long as is. If Disney had the film rights there would almost certainly be a comic tie-in that answered all these questions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The movie was probably a half hour too long as is. If Disney had the film rights there would almost certainly be a comic tie-in that answered all these questions.

I'm normally the dude who insists every movie be shorter, but this one moved by at a decent enough clip for me to not mind what might otherwise be a far too indulgent length (similar to how I felt about Cap 2). They got the only really draggy part (the big time travel exposition dump) out of the way at the very beginning, which was a plus.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't want it to be longer. I just don't think it was an awesome film or deserves some of the super high praise it's getting.

The dodgy memory thing is just one example of a systematic problem with all of the X films, a general lack of quality and consistency. They mostly seem to get a free pass though because "summer blockbuster" or, as of First Class, because they've got "modern super proper actors" in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm normally the dude who insists every movie be shorter, but this one moved by at a decent enough clip for me to not mind what might otherwise be a far too indulgent length (similar to how I felt about Cap 2). They got the only really draggy part (the big time travel exposition dump) out of the way at the very beginning, which was a plus.

I felt like it lagged in a few places but it wasn't horrible. I just did a marathon of X-Men 1-3 and there's terrible moments that just refuse to end in all three of those.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kin posted:

It's more that's it's now all he knows. Basically 70s Wolverine should have had all the knowledge and lived his life until weapon X. Instead, due to the inconsistent ending we've now got a 2030 something Wolverine with no memories of anything since the time travel back in the 70s.

If there are any more x-men films starting Wolverine just think about how he's going to have every single thing he's doing erased from his memory then think about how stupid that is just because they wanted a fan servicey ending.

No, you're wrong, that's not how they established the time travel to work. It's not inconsistent. Wolverine doesn't have "no memories of anything since the 70s", he has a full set of memories - but they're memories of the original Sentinel apocalypse timeline. Thus, why he's surprised to see Jean still alive.

From Wolverine's perspective, he lived a life up until 2022 or whatever, and has those memories, then went for a brief jaunt into the 70s, and still has those memories too, then returned to a future that was changed from the one he remembered.

Isn't this also how things worked in Back to the Future? Pretend that Wolverine used a DeLorean if that helps.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Honestly, at the 100 minute mark or thereabouts, I wanted the movie to keep going. I was really enjoying it. Last movie I can think of where I wished it was longer and would just keep going is Zodiac.

Chalk it up to my being a casual fan (read the comics in the 80s, saw the first two X-Men movies and nothing since) and so I don't get hung up on the details*, but I thought it was a ton of fun and enjoyed every minute.

*If that's the case for the disparity, I can relate -- Game of Thrones irritates me compared to the books although I of course never miss an episode. But show-only people seem to love it far more than I do.

The movie really surprised me, in a good way, with how it handled the "gotta convince young Xavier and Magneto" thing. I was fully expecting it to be much more drawn out and tedious, 20+ minutes of "No, I promise I'm really from the future!" "Sure you are" type of thing and was drat near shouting at the screen "Yo Logan, have old Charles and Magneto tell you something only they would know so you can easily convince them in the past". They skipped that bit of exposition but it actually came up later which I was happy about!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope prof x lies his rear end off to Logan and we have him raising a family of the academy's worst students cuz baldy told him he's their daddyo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

The movie really surprised me, in a good way, with how it handled the "gotta convince young Xavier and Magneto" thing. I was fully expecting it to be much more drawn out and tedious, 20+ minutes of "No, I promise I'm really from the future!" "Sure you are" type of thing and was drat near shouting at the screen "Yo Logan, have old Charles and Magneto tell you something only they would know so you can easily convince them in the past". They skipped that bit of exposition but it actually came up later which I was happy about!

Yeah, they did that really well. It helped a lot that the job Wolverine was asking of them (Help out Raven, she's about to do something real dumb and get herself captured by bad dudes) was something they both were willing to do irregardlessly of whether Logan was from the future, just crazy, an alien shapeshifter or whatever, they don't really give a poo poo about his anti-robot agenda.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Rhyno posted:

It is, sort of, when Wolverine flips out at seeing Stryker. There's a clear distinction between current Wolverine and future Wolverine. At some point since Wolverine is back at the school teaching he and Charles had to run into each other and I imagine they probably would have talked about what happened with the president so he would figure out at that point that something weird is going on with Wolverine's consciousness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jummy posted:

It is, sort of, when Wolverine flips out at seeing Stryker. There's a clear distinction between current Wolverine and future Wolverine. At some point since Wolverine is back at the school teaching he and Charles had to run into each other and I imagine they probably would have talked about what happened with the president so he would figure out at that point that something weird is going on with Wolverine's consciousness.

Complete speculation. Nothing is mentioned on screen.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Rhyno posted:

Complete speculation. Nothing is mentioned on screen.

Sure, that's why I said sort of.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

XboxPants posted:

No, you're wrong, that's not how they established the time travel to work. It's not inconsistent. Wolverine doesn't have "no memories of anything since the 70s", he has a full set of memories - but they're memories of the original Sentinel apocalypse timeline. Thus, why he's surprised to see Jean still alive.

From Wolverine's perspective, he lived a life up until 2022 or whatever, and has those memories, then went for a brief jaunt into the 70s, and still has those memories too, then returned to a future that was changed from the one he remembered.

Isn't this also how things worked in Back to the Future? Pretend that Wolverine used a DeLorean if that helps.

They established the time travel as "project yourself back in time in real time" kinda deal that's about it (other than being disconnected causes your past self to forget what your future self knows), but seeing as Bishop never went all "uh, WTF's been happenin' guys" at any point in the film, they imply he keeps the knowledge of the future after they change it (i.e. he didn't rubber band back into the alternate future they created at the beginning).

At the end it's different for Wolverine as we're shown he rubber bands back to an alternate "good" future somehow (no Kitty to pull him back?) wiping out the "good" Wolverine character development that we're going to be seeing in the films for the next decade.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Poor Wolverine. If Mystique did prevent him from being captured by Stryker, but the Wolverine who lived the subsequent life was over-written by the one with the lovely life, then Wolverine is still traumatised by things that didn't actually happen in the new timeline and he doesn't have the metal claws to show for it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kin posted:

They established the time travel as "project yourself back in time in real time" kinda deal that's about it (other than being disconnected causes your past self to forget what your future self knows), but seeing as Bishop never went all "uh, WTF's been happenin' guys" at any point in the film, they imply he keeps the knowledge of the future after they change it (i.e. he didn't rubber band back into the alternate future they created at the beginning).

You're discounting the more pertinent example - when Wolverine jumps into the past from the future, the traveler mind completely over-writes the target mind. Wolverine jumps into the past and is completely confused about what's happening and why he's in bed with some girl; he hasn't inherited any of the memories of his host body. Then the exact same thing happens when his mind travels back to 2023.

You can say the stuff with Bishop implies they gain memories of the new timeline but they really didn't show anything to indicate it either way. So, we have one case in which they didn't make it clear, and two cases where they explicitly showed you how it works. Yeah, you could interpret the Bishop scene to be a contradiction because they didn't say outright what happened with him, but why would you do that?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This movie is now the highest grossing internationally in the franchise. It's kinda surprising given how popular the franchise was that none of the previous movies reached 500 million.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

Poor Wolverine. If Mystique did prevent him from being captured by Stryker, but the Wolverine who lived the subsequent life was over-written by the one with the lovely life, then Wolverine is still traumatised by things that didn't actually happen in the new timeline and he doesn't have the metal claws to show for it.

Small price to pay for saving the world.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Turnquiet posted:

I am pretty surprised people in the thread couldn't remember that Wolverine would be the only one remembering the sequence of events leading up to his DOFP future and everyone else recalls the new, happy timeline. So the terrible X-men and Wolverine films now only exist in his recollection of the past thirty years. He didn't wake up with a thirty year gap, just with a distinct thirty year recollection of events compared to everyone else.

Kitty spells out this consequence in the very beginning. Must suck for Bishop living his life as a series of weekly attacks where he sees everyone else get killed again and again.

The funny thing is this is pretty consistent with Bishop's characterization in the comics, where he's basically perpetually PTSD'd and messed up from having time traveled/seen people around him die so much.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Kin posted:

Considering how the character was for decades, this isn't that far off from how things go for the character.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Considering how the character was for decades, this isn't that far off from how things go for the character.

Yeah, one of the consistent things about Wolverine in virtually every incarnation is that his memories are completely F@#$ up for one reason or another. PTSD, Memory Wipes, Adamanteium Bullets, and his extreme age all contribute to his mind being a jumbled pile of mush.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Is this movie good? Like, from the perspective of someone who isn't a comic book nerd? For reference, I thought Man of Steel was pretty great last year, while Wolverine was dog poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I saw it yesterday. It was good, but not great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't read comics, and I really enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun and doesn't take it self too seriously, but it still gives you enough serious drama that it isn't too silly. The acting is really good, and it makes a surprising amount of sense for what it is.

But I also hated Man of Steel a lot, so you may not want to take my word for it. Which is understandable. It's also way better than The Wolverine, which I found to be just OK.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

verybad posted:

Is this movie good? Like, from the perspective of someone who isn't a comic book nerd? For reference, I thought Man of Steel was pretty great last year, while Wolverine was dog poo poo.

I saw it with 2 people with 0 comic book exposure who both liked it, and I haven't picked one up in like 20 years :corsair: and thought it was good too.

The post-credits bit will make ZERO sense to anybody who isn't specifically an X-Men comic book fan though so you might as well skip it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

verybad posted:

If that's your reference then no you probably won't like it.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
My coworker hates this film series because it's not 100% accurate with the comics. He just can't separate the two continuities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
Which comics? X-men comics have been reset and rebooted all the drat time. Just tell him the movies are based on the Exile comics (it even has Blink!) and he can finally see the movies as "canon".

• Locked thread