Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

where o where is jimmy baltimore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I really liked Mero in 1996 too. He had a couple good matches with Austin and there was an effort to everything not a lot of guys put on in 1996. I think the wrestlers hated him though which hurt any memories of him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I expected not to like Mero's early WWF run but most of the matches were solid. He was out with his knee injury when I got hooked on WCW so I didn't see him during my brief Raw viewings until after his recovery. He wasn't any good in 98, but I'll agree with the sentiment about 96. I've never even been that high on his WCW work.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
1996 Mero is probably one of the most underrated workers in all of the 1990's WWF and would have absolutely been worth his contract had he stayed healthy but he was one of the most universally disliked guys in locker room, and sadly at least 2/3 of that was purely due to jealousy for his salary and being able to bring his smoking hot wife on the road with him.
Now post-Benoit he's probably been blackballed from getting any sort of recognition at all from the industry. Even Foley spent a good page or two in his first book railing against the guy for no other reason than the fact he believed Mero was making too much money.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Now Marc Merro is a motivational speaker - http://www.thinkpoz.org/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He did a nice SSP for a good sized guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

Now Marc Merro is a motivational speaker - http://www.thinkpoz.org/

Mero really didn't research before choosing that name.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Maybe it's a honeypot

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Yeah, I hate Mero even more now that I see his botox-riddled surgically modified permanent smile staring over a microphone like a Mickey Mouse death's head.

Please you blind, stupid horrific freak, please tell me the secrets to staying positive, staying motivated... Think Poz. How could you trust this has been who looks bizarrely artificial, like a clown Hummel figure? How could anyone see this guy teaching empowerment to children, going state to state, city to city, school to school, and not suspect something insidious hiding just under the surface?

Watching Mero try to get himself over on national news by politicizing the deaths of Nancy and Daniel Benoit made me really hate the guy.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 1, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
In the mid-90s WWF, they had a ton of really terrible performers - why didn't they raid ECW and other indys? Was it a matter of just not having the money to hire talent, or was WCW giving anyone they tried to get a bigger payday?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

In the mid-90s WWF, they had a ton of really terrible performers - why didn't they raid ECW and other indys? Was it a matter of just not having the money to hire talent, or was WCW giving anyone they tried to get a bigger payday?

How many of the ECW talent (Mid 90s, so after WCW already had grabbed up Eddie, Benoit, Malenko, Rey?) actually went on to do something of merit outside of ECW? WCW had already taken a lot of the talent from there, and all that were left were guys who were maximized to potential in ECW who would have just flopped in WWF as bad as their current roster I think.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

www.thinkpoz.com posted:

After reaching the pinnacle of sports entertainment as a WCW and WWE Wrestling Champion

Weighing in at 239 pounds, the World Wrestling Federation WRESTLING CHAMPION, MARC! MERO!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Marc Mero lost 95% of his appeal once he didn't have the Badd Blaster.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
What was the context behind Batista saying "basketballs don't hold grudges"?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Purple Monkey posted:

What was the context behind Batista saying "basketballs don't hold grudges"?

Denver Nuggets Pepsi Center issue, Khali squeezes a basketball in his bare-hands and had a match with Batista coming up.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Onmi posted:

Denver Nuggets Pepsi Center issue, Khali squeezes a basketball in his bare-hands and had a match with Batista coming up.

Probably he popped it but until I have confirmation I'm just going to imagine a very menacing barehanded squeeze.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Are there any big stars from the Monday Night Wars that didn't work in both WWF and WCW? It seriously seems like everyone who had even a little name recognition was in both at some point or another, either at the height of their popularity or before/after their career peaks. The Rock is the only one I can think of who was a big star but never wrestled in WCW. Kane maybe?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Shawn Michaels?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

bradzilla posted:

Are there any big stars from the Monday Night Wars that didn't work in both WWF and WCW? It seriously seems like everyone who had even a little name recognition was in both at some point or another, either at the height of their popularity or before/after their career peaks. The Rock is the only one I can think of who was a big star but never wrestled in WCW. Kane maybe?

Undertaker?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He wrestled in WCW for a number of years in the late 80s/early 90s.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sting and Shawn Michaels.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kevin Nash didn't really work in either company

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Kane
Kurt Angle
Tazz
Edge (?)
The Hardys
The Dudleys
Lanny Poffo :v:

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Perdido posted:

Edge (?)

To answer your question:

With a name straight out of FCW, too

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ktik posted:

How many of the ECW talent (Mid 90s, so after WCW already had grabbed up Eddie, Benoit, Malenko, Rey?) actually went on to do something of merit outside of ECW? WCW had already taken a lot of the talent from there, and all that were left were guys who were maximized to potential in ECW who would have just flopped in WWF as bad as their current roster I think.

What about the Dudley Boys?

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Ktik posted:

Lance Storm held almost all of WCWs midcard titles at the same time

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Tazz did a few things in WWE, RVD is a former WWE champion, and the first ever WWECW champion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tazz had to retire almost immediately due to his hosed-up neck too.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So here's a question, I recently told my parents that I'd gotten back into wrestling. When I was a kid my parents would watch it with me, we'd use to watch 1999 and 2000's WCW and they have a passing interest in wrestling. They don't really think/understand how the product has moved on since then though, what could I show them (promo/video package/match) to convince them or at least show them otherwise. I feel like the Pipebomb might be a good example but that needs a good lot of context beforehand.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

don't show pro wrestling to your parents

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

John Cena posted:

agreed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So here's a question, I recently told my parents that I'd gotten back into wrestling.

That must have been hard. I commend your courage.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So here's a question, I recently told my parents that I'd gotten back into wrestling. When I was a kid my parents would watch it with me, we'd use to watch 1999 and 2000's WCW and they have a passing interest in wrestling. They don't really think/understand how the product has moved on since then though, what could I show them (promo/video package/match) to convince them or at least show them otherwise. I feel like the Pipebomb might be a good example but that needs a good lot of context beforehand.

Shield matches, any random Shield matches will do. They're all pretty good. If I had to pick one, show the first Wyatt/Shield match and the packages leading up to it (if there were any).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
With the news coming out that Michael Elgin is obsessed with what people think about him on Twitter, is there anyone else in the business notably like that?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

EugeneJ posted:

With the news coming out that Michael Elgin is obsessed with what people think about him on Twitter, is there anyone else in the business notably like that?

I subtweeted Austin Aries to Dixie Carter and got blocked by him. Dixie Carter DM'd me because of it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

I subtweeted Austin Aries to Dixie Carter and got blocked by him. Dixie Carter DM'd me because of it.

Aries actually brought up having "a streak of four-star matches" on TV during his 2012 run, so yeah that's pretty self-obsessed

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I also know coconono pissed off Gerald Brisco on twitter by tweeting about Wes Briscoe last week and it was hilarious

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gerry was definitely searching for all mentions of Wes after his NJPW match. He's deleted a bunch of them since.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

John Cena posted:

During the Kane/Bryan match at Extreme Rules my mom asked me who the guy with the beard was. I said he was the champion, she asked why he gets to be the champion when he's so small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

During the Kane/Bryan match at Extreme Rules my mom asked me who the guy with the beard was. I said he was the champion, she asked why he gets to be the champion when he's so small

A Good Mom.