Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:colbert:

Edit: I did everything for Golden Ears except the one where you had to guess what frequency changed. gently caress that one. And then it didn't save my progress. :flame:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
As a member of the audiophile industry, I can tell you that the surest way to piss off an audiophile is to tell them that Diana Krall is the best artist in the history of all music.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ethanfr0me posted:

As a member of the audiophile industry, I can tell you that the surest way to piss off an audiophile is to tell them that Diana Krall is the best artist in the history of all music.

A salesperson was showing (what's the sonic equivalent of 'show' in English?) a pair of speakers to my friend and I was just tagging along. When he asked what kind of music we'd like him to put on my friend said he'd mostly be listening to rock. The dude put on some Yello and we both spontaneously burst out laughing.

My friend still bought the speakers but only after he'd had them home to try them out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerry Cotton posted:

(what's the sonic equivalent of 'show' in English?)

Showing works for it, auditioning could technically work but wouldn't really be appropriate to use here.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

A salesperson was showing (what's the sonic equivalent of 'show' in English?) a pair of speakers to my friend and I was just tagging along. When he asked what kind of music we'd like him to put on my friend said he'd mostly be listening to rock. The dude put on some Yello and we both spontaneously burst out laughing.

My friend still bought the speakers but only after he'd had them home to try them out.

Yello is another band that many people use as a "reference" artist. Reference tracks are used to kind of have a standard that reviewers / setup people use when describing a certain system's sound profile. What ends up happening a lot is those songs / artists get severely overplayed and then vilified.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ethanfr0me posted:

Yello is another band that many people use as a "reference" artist. Reference tracks are used to kind of have a standard that reviewers / setup people use when describing a certain system's sound profile. What ends up happening a lot is those songs / artists get severely overplayed and then vilified.

When a person says they listen to rock they generally don't mean they listen to Yello :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ethanfr0me posted:

They need the same policies as guitar stores.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Definitely great rock music. And I'm sure it makes a good reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7FFjUpVLg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Definitely great rock music. And I'm sure it makes a good reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7FFjUpVLg

Well you posted the only Yello track that's actually good. It's not rock though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillHour posted:

Edit: I did everything for Golden Ears except the one where you had to guess what frequency changed. gently caress that one. And then it didn't save my progress. :flame:

:smug:

But yeah, gently caress the frequency one.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 2, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Showing works for it, auditioning could technically work but wouldn't really be appropriate to use here.

I like "demoing".

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ethanfr0me posted:

As a member of the pro-audio/music tech industry, I can tell you that I'll probably go postal if yet another mid-50s product manager or product demonstrator tells me that nothing beats Billy Joel's Piano Man.

Also, here's Behringer's corporate anthem: https://soundcloud.com/behringer/behringer-in-our-own-way

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

Does anyone actually listen to Diana Krall outside of audio shows? I mean, if somebody walks into the room and asks you to put on Diana Krall, they've basically admitted that they have no taste.

There's a guy I see at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest each year who goes from room to room listening to the same German metal song. And I mean it's the same song every single year. I haven't been able to decide if he's the world's best audiophile troll or if he's really spending thousands of dollars to improve the sound quality of dynamically compressed screaming.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tool - Prison Sex is my go to song for demoing speakers.

I know it well and it has all the instruments mixed out at the front.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does anyone actually listen to Diana Krall outside of audio shows? I mean, if somebody walks into the room and asks you to put on Diana Krall, they've basically admitted that they have no taste.

There's a guy I see at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest each year who goes from room to room listening to the same German metal song. And I mean it's the same song every single year. I haven't been able to decide if he's the world's best audiophile troll or if he's really spending thousands of dollars to improve the sound quality of dynamically compressed screaming.

I just got back from the show at Newport, and everyone and their brother was playing Stevie Ray Vaughan ad nauseum. Some guys come in to the room and have a CD that they absolutely have to hear immediately. There's a mix between Jazz purists and people who just want to hear something with a good mix. For all the bullshit, listening to "Superstition" on a $500k system did sound pretty incredible.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

jonathan posted:

Tool - Prison Sex is my go to song for demoing speakers.

I know it well and it has all the instruments mixed out at the front.

The important thing is that you know it inside out. Memory is very fallible but it's the best we have. I personally go for some classics like Thriller (that bass line can be pretty revealing) and such but make a point of using some double bass jazz with glissandos and some crazy drumming to reveal both detail and attack.

And then if you really want to test out a system that claims bass down to ~10Hz there's always Avril Lavigne - Sk8r Boi second drop...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Neurophonic posted:

Avril Lavigne - Sk8r Boi second drop...

Back to ridiculing audiophiles:

quote:

Sk8er Bass test: a few deep bass notes in Avril Lavigne's Sk8er Boi off Let Go that some components and cables completely miss.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

I just got back from the show at Newport, and everyone and their brother was playing Stevie Ray Vaughan ad nauseum. Some guys come in to the room and have a CD that they absolutely have to hear immediately. There's a mix between Jazz purists and people who just want to hear something with a good mix. For all the bullshit, listening to "Superstition" on a $500k system did sound pretty incredible.

That beats RMAF two years ago. Nothing but K.D. Lang's Hallelujah, over and over again.

Found this gem in a thread about audio playback advances from the last 25 years:

quote:

The more we learnt, the more we discover how much we don't yet know....

- Magnetic field and how it affects sound reproduction application.
- physical changes in optical disc media after each successive spin/read in a transport/ player.
- physical changes on the surface of various disc media after coming in contact with other materials and how it subsequently affect sound reproduction application.
- dynamic compression & RF pollution, and why more audiophiles prefer them, subconsciously.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Is nothing sacred??

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

That beats RMAF two years ago. Nothing but K.D. Lang's Hallelujah, over and over again.

Found this gem in a thread about audio playback advances from the last 25 years:

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

The tracks get spread out over time from centrifugal force, leading to bitrot/jitter that can't be measured.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

KillHour posted:

I don't know if it holds for all of them / all platforms but the first few tests I could easily cheat because the song lagged before switching between the changed sample and one of the correct samples, but no lag between unchanged samples. They probably should have put a gap in there

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurophonic posted:

The important thing is that you know it inside out. Memory is very fallible but it's the best we have. I personally go for some classics like Thriller (that bass line can be pretty revealing) and such but make a point of using some double bass jazz with glissandos and some crazy drumming to reveal both detail and attack.

And then if you really want to test out a system that claims bass down to ~10Hz there's always Avril Lavigne - Sk8r Boi second drop...

For whatever reason I don't get a ton of bass out of 2-channel content. I don't know why. For example, Guitar Hero defaults to 2 channel mode, but in the options you can choose digital surround mode. In digital 5.1 mode the setup rips. In the stereo mode it sounds rather flat.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jonathan posted:

For whatever reason I don't get a ton of bass out of 2-channel content. I don't know why. For example, Guitar Hero defaults to 2 channel mode, but in the options you can choose digital surround mode. In digital 5.1 mode the setup rips. In the stereo mode it sounds rather flat.

Sure it's not just using your stereo speakers? Some (most?) receivers have a straight-up stereo mode that just pipes to left and right, and all your centre/sub/rear gizmos go unused. There are usually modes to make 2-channel content use the entire setup, in various ways, and 5.1 obviously does it explicitly

I guess you might have to gently caress around with the crossover settings if you have a sub too? Crack open the weighty manual, is what I'm saying!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

baka kaba posted:

Sure it's not just using your stereo speakers? Some (most?) receivers have a straight-up stereo mode that just pipes to left and right, and all your centre/sub/rear gizmos go unused. There are usually modes to make 2-channel content use the entire setup, in various ways, and 5.1 obviously does it explicitly

I guess you might have to gently caress around with the crossover settings if you have a sub too? Crack open the weighty manual, is what I'm saying!

Yup, I'm sure. I know the ins and outs of all the equipment in my rack. It's just multi channel stuff with a subwoofer track seem to hit way harder.

For example, I play something like Bass I love you.mp3 and it makes some noise, but then I watch a movie like Olympus Has Fallen and I can knock the projector out of focus and move the walls.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jonathan posted:

Yup, I'm sure. I know the ins and outs of all the equipment in my rack. It's just multi channel stuff with a subwoofer track seem to hit way harder.

For example, I play something like Bass I love you.mp3 and it makes some noise, but then I watch a movie like Olympus Has Fallen and I can knock the projector out of focus and move the walls.

Don't forget that by design, the LFE channel is usually boosted by 10dB by the receiver to let the LFE stuff go beyond full scale in comparison to the other channels, for the appropriate amount of rumble.

And I don't put much credence in those "supah bass!!1" tracks. Throw on stuff like "So Easy" by Röyksopp, "Butterfly" by Jamiroquai and "Vamp" or "Evil Dub" by Trentemøller and I promise your walls will move. Evil Dub is particularly nasty, it's my go-to "annoy the neighbors" track. It's gotta be the CDs or a rip though, I've tried them on Youtube, and they don't hit as hard for some reason.

E: There also this great un-edited recording of big fireworks. It doesn't dig super super deep, but the hits are sharp, really snappy. Played back loud it's like you're actually there.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 9, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think this might be the best place to post this.

I'm looking at the Geek Wave on indiegogo. It's cheap for the base model ($158), and plays all the high resolution audio files. I'd love to try them out. Right now I have some Turbine Copper Pros and I think they sound great.

I was wondering if there is a consensus on whether this thing will be good? Like I said the price is nice but they've just added this ridiculous IEM package where they'll "upgrade" your Wave so it sounds better with IEMs. For $128! And the loving thing is supposed to be a portable music player! So I'd really like some help before ordering.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't bother. It offers literally nothing of any value over say a Sansa player with Rockbox. There will be no difference in sound quality whatsoever, I promise.

High-res audio for playback is a scam.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how it has all these features and options, yet doesn't seem to play back ALAC. You know, the one lossless format that's actually got a major company behind it.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I don't get why anyone even care about ALAC over FLAC.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cosmo321 posted:

Because Apple sells albums in ALAC through iTunes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Because Apple sells albums in ALAC through iTunes.

No, you can rip your CD's to Apple Lossless but Apple doesn't sell ALAC files, iTunes store purchases are 256kbps AAC files.

cosmo321 posted:

You can't play FLAC files natively on any Apple device (other than a Mac, I guess) whereas ALAC you can (plus have it all handled within iTunes, stored in the iTunes Match cloud etc.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I thought they had a limited selection in ALAC, but I don't actually use iTunes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I can't think of a better thread to ask about this.

I was just on a headphone review site and saw an ad for the Capital Audio Fest in DC. Has anyone here been to their previous events? It's $20 to get in and I'm on the fence about going. I'm not in the market for any super high end audio but it'd be fun to hear some crazy setups.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jack White has gone completely mad:

http://thirdmanstore.com/jack-white-lazaretto-12-vinyl

quote:

- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record

- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Isn't the vinyl business pretty much perfectly honed to aim at enthusiasts who care about style (and fancy gimmicks) first and price last? Not my personal cup of tea but if it was then crazy ideas like that would probably be pretty great in a "mp3/flac doesn't have that!" way. v:shobon:v

I guess maybe if you added 3 zeros to the price....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Isn't the vinyl business pretty much perfectly honed to aim at enthusiasts who care about style (and fancy gimmicks) first and price last? Not my personal cup of tea but if it was then crazy ideas like that would probably be pretty great in a "mp3/flac doesn't have that!" way. v:shobon:v

I guess maybe if you added 3 zeros to the price....

Yeah for $20 that sounds really neat; I think it's more of a novelty item since vinyl is dead, really.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I dunno, that stuff sounds like fun and part of the reason people collect vinyls? I'd be more worried about

quote:

- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
which is probably bollocks anyway, since probably every single stage of his omg analogue gear will introduce compression as part of its characteristic sound. That or it'll sound like a school project :thumbsup:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

cosmo321 posted:

ALAC too is now open source as well as being better supported on devices.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

ALAC too is now open source as well as being better supported on devices.

Really? From my experience I've seen more and more devices supporting FLAC, but almost nothing supporting ALAC (that wasn't made by Apple).

Also, that vinyl stuff is cool. Almost makes it worth buying just for the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One of the original tool vinyl releases (undertow?) Had dual track. Half way through the album you either got one song or another live version. Then it rejoined.