Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

the posted:

I hate corporate-speak.

"Your boss is slightly nuts, and definitely disorganized".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
After my interview, the recruiter called me for a follow-up wanting to discuss how the interview went and how I felt about the position, as well as relocation logistics, my qualifications for the position, and my salary requirement if I were to be offered the position. She said she will call me back once she and the interviewers meet for a feedback meeting. How far along the hiring process am I? If this a natural part of the "still deciding on which candidate" process or is this a "let's figure out a offer package" thing?

This job pays at minimum 20% more than my current position and the interview, according to the recruiter, was very positive overall, so I'm really hoping this is it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I applied to a job out of state (my home state that I'm trying to move back to). I'm getting very little communication from them which is what I expected as two guys I know there told me that they are very slow in every part of the hiring process. I first applied in February, and now I'm against a deadline as my landlord who has let us extend our lease the past few months with no commitment is asking us to make a decision soon. I want to tell the company that I need an answer by next friday. How do I ask for a decision to be made without sounding like a dick a burning a bridge?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Hand of the King posted:

After my interview, the recruiter called me for a follow-up wanting to discuss how the interview went and how I felt about the position, as well as relocation logistics, my qualifications for the position, and my salary requirement if I were to be offered the position. She said she will call me back once she and the interviewers meet for a feedback meeting. How far along the hiring process am I? If this a natural part of the "still deciding on which candidate" process or is this a "let's figure out a offer package" thing?

This job pays at minimum 20% more than my current position and the interview, according to the recruiter, was very positive overall, so I'm really hoping this is it.
This generally means you've passed all the tests and you're good enough to get hired, but not necessarily the best candidate--you're on the short list. If you don't end up getting an offer, you have a decent chance of being at the top of the list if another job opens up at that company.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

swenblack posted:

This generally means you've passed all the tests and you're good enough to get hired, but not necessarily the best candidate--you're on the short list. If you don't end up getting an offer, you have a decent chance of being at the top of the list if another job opens up at that company.

Thanks, but drat. That's not quite what I wanted to hear. This position has been open for almost 3 months so hopefully I'll be it. Her calling and talking to me about my relocation and salary really got my hopes up.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Hand of the King posted:

Thanks, but drat. That's not quite what I wanted to hear. This position has been open for almost 3 months so hopefully I'll be it. Her calling and talking to me about my relocation and salary really got my hopes up.
You could be the number one guy, or you could be the number three guy. You'll find out soon though. In my organization, when we advertise a position, we usually get 0-4 qualified applicants. It sounds like that's where you currently are at in the process.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Attached is a basic critique from the anonymous Goon who sent me a PM.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget
I've got a question regarding my job situation. As of right now I am searching for a job in the marketing sphere, looking to get back into the 'career' type of role however over the last three years however I have been backpacking / "slacking" / working temp jobs or bar jobs. My basic timeline in bullet points is:

• Undergrad degree while working a few part time projects / marketing internships ~ 7months marketing experience
  • Move city, work in two different contract jobs, one advertising, one marketing ~ 9months marketing experience
  • Move back home get a masters degree in marketing
  • work for a year and a half in a marketing department of a large company, finalist for national rookie marketer of the year, win a few other awards for instance a website I managed won a design award ~ 18months experience - All up to this point has been in New Zealand
  • Get work visa for America, travel America working for a year in a bar / as a tour guide / in a furniture factory .e.g odd jobs but they did have an entrepreneurial tint to them. e.g. I set up pub crawls, tours. Then three months in England. Travelled and worked in a bar. I was more or less always working, just not always in proper jobs
  • move to Australia, work for seven months in two different temp jobs, essentially well paying call centres, travel Australia for a few months
  • Travel Europe for six months again, one month work in a bar
  • now I'm home, a bit over the travelling lifestyle and I'm trying to get a career job in marketing in Australia so I can buy a house
I feel that my downsides are that I look very flighty by working contract jobs / moving, however at the time it suited my "life/work balance" I wanted to travel and work in a number of different roles to get broad experience. But I think it looks bad as I haven't stuck in a job for a long period of time although if you add my total marketing time together I have over three years experience just not at the same place and not in a while. All the people I went to university with have all have good jobs with brand name companies and I feel that I am capable to do those types of jobs at equivalent companies. I also feel that when I am working I am a high achiever given my awards/masters degree however I haven't done any proper marketing since 2011. I am looking for advice on how to get back into a proper career type role. I am 28 years old. I almost think I am stuck between above entry level but not enough to reach the next level. I also feel that if I don't get a good job soon I will have missed the boat and be stuck forever. It stresses me out.

Any advice?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Lizzy posted:

Any advice?
You are entry level again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Especially in ~this~economy~.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I saw a job opportunity that requires availability to travel to other cities within my country. Should I put that I am available for that in my resume or just add that in the email I'll send with my resume? where in my resume?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
What's the best way to make it look like I actually have 5 years experience in my field? I do, but four of those years were in a high school job, and I'm afraid it might get looked over when they make the connection.

Also, I never finished a degree, is it better to just put "X University - English and Accounting" with the years attended, or leave it off, or what? The consensus here was mixed last time I saw this question come up. A lot of the posistions i'm looking at list a bachelors as a requirement, but everyone I've talked to in the industry says its mostly there to stop vastly unqualified people from applying for mid-level management jobs. (what I'm looking at).

I love my current job, but am starting to suffer from big fish, small pond syndrome. I've hit as far as I can go in town since I've got a "non-compete" (I never signed it, but really don't want the bad blood that will come if i ditch this job to go to another station in town) that prevents me from working for any other broadcast station or radio station within commuting distance, and I'm second-in-command here. I certainly don't want to just leave my job willy-nilly for anything, I want something that is definitely going to be a step up and a substantial pay raise (by "substantial" i mean going from "i made more in a call center and I'm now upper-tier management because we're a small business and can't afford to pay huge salaries" to 45k+/yr.

http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=MTVNETWORKS&cws=1&rid=7102
http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=MTVNETWORKS&cws=1&rid=7143

these are the sorts of jobs i'm looking at.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

About 6 months ago I filled out a "here why you should hire me even though there is no job posting" thing on an employers website. After a little bit of back and forth they said they would post a job soon. They never have posted any job despite my follow up.

I'm going to fill it out again I think. They're close, and they're the exact type of work i want to do. I'm not sure if I should mention I already did this once or not. Is this an exercise in annoying the employer? Thoughts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You applied once and didn't get a job. Move on.

If they post a job, then apply. Sending resumes when they're not hiring is at best an exercise in futility, and at worst will prejudice them against you.

No joke, an acquaintance of mine managed to apply so much at a place and network her rear end off that the VP of HR sent her an email saying to stop contacting their staff.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Do I even need a resume if I'm just going to be applying to a bunch of retail stores or is it just handy to keep them on hand just in case? And if so, would you just use a copy pasted generic one or individualize them for each retail job?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

For retail, a generic is fine. The chain places will have application forms, the mom & pop won't care.

Customized resumes are for those precision-strike application to more specialized jobs, when you're looking into retail, go for the carpet bombing approach. I guess if you're looking into a retail management position you might want to move up to some sort of dive bombing method, somewhere between the two.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

This may be a dumb question but, is it alright to apply to multiple positions in the same organization in different departments? I'm thinking of applying to a few jobs within a healthcare system.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a question about making a followup phone call:

I applied for a job at a company's location in Nebraska and had a phone screen with their headquarters in Utah. The Utah folks said the Nebraska people would get in touch with me sometime this week but I haven't heard anything so I'm going to give them a call on Monday if I don't hear from them tomorrow. Problem is, I don't know which location to call. I've never talked to the Nebraska people and don't have a contact there outside the general company phone number but they're the ones who are supposed to be calling me for round 2 and ultimately making final hiring decisions. If I call the Utah office odds are my message will get lost somewhere along the way and never make it to the Nebraska office but I'd feel weird calling the Nebraska office without even a name of a person to ask for.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Phadedsky posted:

This may be a dumb question but, is it alright to apply to multiple positions in the same organization in different departments? I'm thinking of applying to a few jobs within a healthcare system.
Of course, especially if it's a large organization. I wouldn't blast my application out to every open position a company has, but a short list of three or four related jobs is totally fine.

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget

Bisty Q. posted:

You are entry level again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Especially in ~this~economy~.

I thought as much. How do you advise I go about going from zero to hero?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Lizzy posted:

I thought as much. How do you advise I go about going from zero to hero?

You need to start off by finding marketing jobs that are hiring 'new college graduates' or similar roles and applying for those. In your cover letter, you should mention the past experience and broad base you can bring to the role but that you understand you need to reestablish a serious passion for the marketing industry and that your travels helped you discover you really love trying to get people to smoke or whatever.

If you spin it correctly in your cover letter, I think the NCG route is the fastest path to get you into a marketing role at a large company that you've said you want.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
I am a recent graduate as a Veterinary Technician, and I'm currently in my job search for my first gig in the field. As the last part of my coursework in school, I did two two-month rotations in clinics, so I've started my search there. One of them was impressed with me, but hired someone else directly after the first of the two rotations (and I went there second), so they just aren't taking anyone else on for the time being. The other clinic I applied to also gave me very high marks and I seemed to get along very well with everyone there. I emailed in my resume and cover letter, and I heard back right away to set up a quick chat on the phone. The office manager told me that he wanted to talk over a couple of things with the head tech at the practice and decide what their needs would be, etc etc. and that he would call me back in the next few days. It has now been a week, and I haven't heard anything. Am I being too paranoid/should I send a followup email or phone call?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Not Grover posted:

The office manager told me that he wanted to talk over a couple of things with the head tech at the practice and decide what their needs would be, etc etc. and that he would call me back in the next few days. It has now been a week, and I haven't heard anything. Am I being too paranoid/should I send a followup email or phone call?

Sure, go ahead and call. Reiterate your interest and excitement and ask if they have any updates to the timeline.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Similarly, a couple weeks ago I had a phone screen and it's been radio silence from them since. I talked to my friend who works directly under the guy who interviewed me and he said his boss thought the interview went really well. I sent a follow-up email yesterday around noontime and nothing since.

At what point would it be rude to ask my friend to see if he can find out what's going on? It'll be three weeks since the phone call on Tuesday. :ohdear:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nothing to lose by asking your friend, but if it's been three weeks since the initial phone screen and you haven't heard anything, it's not looking great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Okay I'll ask him eventually. I'd probably have given up by now but I know from my friend that the company is very slow on these things.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
Been out of work for a bit now, finally got a call back, but the message was left at 5:15 on Friday so anytime I've called there's been no response.

I get 5 is a usual office closing time and weekend and all, but being out of work has left me rather anxious so I was more wondering why the hell leave it at a time like that? An hour earlier and I would've caught it and been able to set up an interview.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Because that's when the person who called managed to corner the manager who had to rubber stamp or approve the call-backs. It's doubtful that it was sitting on their to-do list for a day and a half while they whistled jaunty tunes and whacked off; in all likelihood they just got around to it then and there.

I don't know about HR people, but if I'm still phoning people at 17:15 on a Friday, something went terribly wrong that week.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Edmantium posted:

Been out of work for a bit now, finally got a call back, but the message was left at 5:15 on Friday so anytime I've called there's been no response.

I get 5 is a usual office closing time and weekend and all, but being out of work has left me rather anxious so I was more wondering why the hell leave it at a time like that? An hour earlier and I would've caught it and been able to set up an interview.

He stayed 15 minutes late for whatever reason? You're overthinking this.

Also "every place closes at 5" is a generally bad assumption. Maybe the hiring manager is pulling extra hours or maybe he works 11-7 or something. Really know way to know. Call him back, leave at most two messages, move on.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Edmantium posted:

More than likely he finished his normal job at 5:00 and is spending a little bit of time to do all the additional poo poo he needs to do for the week, such as call all the people he needs to interview, as well as approve timecards or book business travel for the next couple weeks. Just call back Monday and schedule your interview. Don't overthink it.

FWIW, this is my usual Friday afternoon. Finish my day job, get my employees out the door, and then close out all my loose ends for the week.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
So I don't really know what to do with my resume and what to include for work history. I've spent the last 7 years in construction and have been taking night classes in accounting, now I'm trying to find entry level internships and build some experience in a new field, but I'm curious how to condense down and dress up this:

Company 1: June 2007- June 2009
Company 2: June 2009 - September 2011
Company 3: October 2011 - May 2012
Company 4: June 2012 - August 2012
Company 2: August 2012 - December 2012
Company 5: January 2013 - March 2013
Company 6: April 2013 - June 2013
Company 7: June 2013 - August 2013
Company 8: August 2013 - April 2014

Position, job, and responsibilities were consistent throughout the entire time, the company was the only difference. It's just difficult since most of these companies either went out of business or were a long travel/commute situation, and its a reality of that line of work that may look bad to someone more used to a stable career. I also have another job as a delivery driver that I did from 2006-2007 that I could include as well, but am wondering how relevant that is.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

A job posting posted:

-Previous experience working in a matrixed environment.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So is that a new euphemism for "cubicle farm" or what?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Seems like a new buzzword for an interactive management approach or whatever they call "We're totally listening to what you tell us, really!" these days.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are job offer webpages trustworthy? I applied for a couple of jobs on one and got nothing and I thought it was because of me, but later I learned that a friend got a call for one of those job positions and she hadn't even applied for the job. Also, for another offer I saw some comments from a lot of applicants that basically said that no one had even been called for an interview.

I don't live in the US, so maybe it is just my country, but in general, has anyone had a good experience with such sites? The one I used has ads on TV, online and on the street, so I thought it was efficient, but it seems it is pretty pointless.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You're going to have to be more precise, "Job offer pages" covers an awful lot of ground. Which country are you in?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I live in Peru. Some companies have their own sites for job offers, but most of the time, they just use one of these sites.

There are a couple of sites that are just for job postings; you register, upload your resume or fill in some related info and look for a job offer. If interested, just select an option to apply and the site sends your information to the employer. The thing is, I know no one that this has worked for.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Give me a heads up if there's somewhere better.

I'm currently working at a music store (instruments, not albums), which is exactly the type of job I want to be working right now since I want to go into teaching guitar. The store is also a music school, and they say they can give me students when it's not the off-season (this offer is probably still open even if I don't stay on in the store). But there are a few problems. For one, I am allergic to dust and the store is extremely dusty and is giving me respiratory issues. Another major problem is that I am being paid minimum wage as a "training salary," but within four days of starting the job, it was expected that I open and run the store on my own. My boss told me that if I want to stay on past the end of the month, I need to commit to the store long-term, despite the fact that I was planning on this being a summer job since I am going back to university in the fall. I have only met one of my co-workers, since all of my shifts are by myself, and he has also only been there for a month. Apparently they have gone through seven people in the past year or two.

I had the flu yesterday, and I was told to go home early. I still have the flu, and while I worked my shift today, my boss told me that I have to take the rest of the week off because he can't schedule around me being sick. I'm at that level of sick where normally it wouldn't be a problem for me to come to work, but because I am the only person in the store, I need to be on top form at all times and it's a liability for me to be groggy. I get sick relatively frequently, which is really lovely, and it sounds like it won't be possible for me to take sick days in this job. It also sounds like I won't be able to do this job while sick. My friend told me that it seems like they're trying to give me managerial duties without telling me or paying me a manager's wage.

The long and the short of it is that I think I should start looking for another job. But I'm wondering if I can include this job on my resume. Most jobs, after this little time, I would just not mention, but not only is this the only job I've ever had in my chosen field, I have been given a lot of important responsibilities that look great on a resume, stuff like opening the store, running it by myself on my fourth day on the job, doing student scheduling, etc. How should I handle this one? I've only been there two weeks (which I realize is a red flag), but I have some legitimate reasons for leaving that don't make me look bad as a worker (I am allergic to the dust in the store, also one of the store owners is highly allergic to animals and doesn't want anyone working there who owns pets). Will it look really bad that I have a job on my resume that I only worked for two weeks? Or will the amount of responsibility I've been given so quickly outweigh that? There are ways of formatting my resume so that it's not immediately obvious how short a time I was at this job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

The long and the short of it is that I think I should start looking for another job.

Yeah, no poo poo.

I don't think there's a good way to put a two week job on your resume. Beside, you haven't had a chance to gain a whole lot of experience, so it's really not that relevant to the next guy to hire you.

And as much as its within your chosen field, it's still just a retail job. Leave it off and don't feel bad about it.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Shugojin posted:

So is that a new euphemism for "cubicle farm" or what?

I'm guessing it means this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_management

How many bosses would you like to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Man, I thought I was the drudge for every person in the department, but now I realize I'm just matrixed. Thanks, businesspeak!