Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gatz posted:

I uploaded a cutscene in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for my ongoing LP. It received a copyright claim by some entity called "XMediaDigitalAggregator".

Only relevant thing google brings up is that they are some sort of Russian content distributor (wut?).

Pretty sure those guys have no claim to it in the first place since apparently X-Media only came to exist over a year after the release of the game.

This is their website: http://www.xdigital.ru/index-eng.php

X-Media Digital posted:

WebSheriff - copyright projection
The WebSheriff project specializes in video content protection in the Internet. It employs custom software, developed by “X-Media Digital” allowing for efficient search and removal of illegal copies of audiovisual material from a large number of Internet resources. Our search robots work to protect your content 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

gatz posted:

I uploaded a cutscene in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for my ongoing LP. It received a copyright claim by some entity called "XMediaDigitalAggregator".

The video is blocked worldwide currently. Should I dispute the claim? If so, under what grounds?

Dispute on the grounds that the claimant does not own the property in question (and cite who does).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

berryjon posted:

Dispute on the grounds that the claimant does not own the property in question (and cite who does).

Wouldn't Youtube just go "Yeah, it actually belongs to Activision. Therefore it's *still blocked* just under a different license now. Enjoy your content hit."?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wouldn't Youtube just go "Yeah, it actually belongs to Activision. Therefore it's *still blocked* just under a different license now. Enjoy your content hit."?

Only if Activision actually cares about it and Gatz is trying to monetize his views.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I don't monetize anything, put ads on any videos (that I can control), etc. I'm not sure if Activision owns the right to the game or just distributes it, though. Even so, my options are:

quote:

I believe this copyright claim is not valid because:

-I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.

-I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.

-I gave credit in the video.

-The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it.

-I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material.

-My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws.

-The content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection.

gatz fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 1, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gatz posted:

I don't monetize anything, put ads on any videos (that I can control), etc. I'm not sure if Activision owns the right to the game or just distributes it, though. Even so, my options are:

Pretty easy choice.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty easy choice.

Lol, youtube doesn't care. This is what they say:

"Whether or not you benefit financially from using the content doesn't matter. Unless you have permission from the owner, it's not yours to use."

I uploaded a slightly longer version of the cutscene which seems to have escaped the copyright claim. gently caress youtube.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
How is "I think/can prove that the person or persons behind the copyright claim are making a fraudulent claim." not an option?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty easy choice.

I'm pretty sure all but maybe one of those options will just give a text blurb that basically reads "I don't give a flying gently caress, rear end in a top hat, we're muting the audio", actually.

I also like their unspoken assumption that people won't abuse the system to try and claim things they don't actually own like what's going on right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

How is "I think/can prove that the person or persons behind the copyright claim are making a fraudulent claim." not an option?

I guess because then Youtube would have to prove that the jerk in question in no way got permission from the copyright holder to put claims on the video, which is a lot of paperwork.

lovely of them, yes, but they don't really care about us.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DreamShipWrecked posted:

lovely of them, yes, but they don't really care about us.

It's all about the Benjamins baby! :homebrew:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
For some odd reason, the copyright claim just disappeared. :shrug:

E: Nevermind, it just popped back up. What is youtube's deal?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

berryjon posted:

This is the right answer.

You don't have to answer to anyone until Activision themselves come after you. Don't let YouTube scare you. You shouldn't let assholes who have nothing to do with the game profit off poo poo they didn't have anything to do with.

Seriously, don't worry about the fine print. Hammer that dispute button.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

gatz posted:

The video is blocked worldwide currently. Should I dispute the claim? If so, under what grounds?

Dispute any claim you see that isn't from the actual rights holder.

What you really need to know about how copyright claims is that when you file the dispute, if the "entity" they say owns it doesn't actually respond after a while, youtube will find in your favor and drop it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
When in doubt dispute on grounds of fair use. You'll have the possibility to enter a bit of text explaining the situation since the reasons for a dispute YT will let you choose from are very limited. It's what I always do when I get a claim not by the actual copyright holder (which is always, by the way). I tend to do some googling beforehand, though.

One time I got a claim for "Unknown Music" which I thought was kinda funny.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 1, 2014

centralpotatoez
Feb 23, 2014
What does "lovely posting" mean? Got banned for a week for it.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

centralpotatoez posted:

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

IGgy IGsen posted:

When in doubt dispute on grounds of fair use. You'll have the possibility to enter a bit of text explaining the situation since the reasons for a dispute YT will let you choose from are very limited. It's what I always do when I get a claim not by the actual copyright holder (which is always, by the way). I tend to do some googling beforehand, though.

One time I got a claim for "Unknown Music" which I thought was kinda funny.

It's always funny seeing grossly incorrect content ID matches. CBS decided to claim a No More Heroes vid of mine because it had a blonde girl and two burly dudes in suits next to her so I guess they thought it was Big Bang Theory or something.

centralpotatoez posted:

Basically, your posts were poo poo and you were making a new reply for everything you wanted to say instead of consolidating it all into one post.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

centralpotatoez posted:

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

centralpotatoez posted:

Your posts did not contribute anything to the The Let's Play Sandcastle, and thus you spent a week in kitty jail. Please post better next time!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

centralpotatoez posted:

You got probated for lovely posting because you posted like garbage, or as some would call it, poo poo. Often several times in a row. There is an edit button, you know. Click the question mark on your post (right below your Stupid Newbie avatar) to see your posts in this thread. Please look over them and reflect on how bad they were, mainly because of their low content (read: meaningless) and stupidity (read: stupid).

Really the main thing is stop typing like a goddamn young teenager on the internet. Spell out your words.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

centralpotatoez posted:

Let me tell you about GBS.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ChaosArgate posted:

It's always funny seeing grossly incorrect content ID matches. CBS decided to claim a No More Heroes vid of mine because it had a blonde girl and two burly dudes in suits next to her so I guess they thought it was Big Bang Theory or something.

I think my favourite, which actually happened to me, was 4'33" being claimed in one of my vids. Either way, if you do commentary, you claim under Fair Use (transformative work for parody and/or review purpose, because an LPer always at least says "I like this about the game" or "This is an objectively bad thing", so it has aspects of a longass review) in the first paragraph of your letter to YT copyright dudes, then your second paragraph then explains that the fucktard in question doesn't actually own the rights or its a misidentification.

Always be sure, however, it's a misidentification. That one tripped me in the past too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

centralpotatoez posted:

centralpotatoez posted:

NYO!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hmmmm

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

centralpotatoez posted:

Posting. Verb. The act of making a post.
lovely. Adjective/Adverb. Pertaining to or having characteristics of fecal matter.

Used in a sentence: Your posting was lovely.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

JamieTheD posted:

I think my favourite, which actually happened to me, was 4'33" being claimed in one of my vids.

Holy poo poo, I always thought that was just an urban legend.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

JamieTheD posted:

I think my favourite, which actually happened to me, was 4'33" being claimed in one of my vids.

Wait. The claim was that your video was 4 minutes and 33 seconds long? Am I reading this right? How can someone make a claim on the length of a video?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PureRok posted:

Wait. The claim was that your video was 4 minutes and 33 seconds long? Am I reading this right? How can someone make a claim on the length of a video?

4'33'' is the name of an actual song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

You'll quickly see just why the claim is ridiculous.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Oh, so it's just a claim on sound in general. That makes... even less sense.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

PureRok posted:

Oh, so it's just a claim on sound in general. That makes... even less sense.

A claim on the absence of sound.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

JamieTheD posted:

No way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JamieTheD posted:

That is absolutely beautiful.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

JamieTheD posted:

They were trying to push the boundary of "What is copyright, anyways?".

Maybe Youtube wants to host some seminars about "Modern Copyright Art".

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If there was a claim on 4'33'' on one of my videos I'd acknowledge it since it's a "piece" that consists of just about any sound that happens during the duration of it. I love that there's actually sheet music for it and all it says is to turn the pages after a certain amount of bars. I'm too rhythmically challenged to play it by myself unless I use a metronome, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

If there was a claim on 4'33'' on one of my videos I'd acknowledge it since it's a "piece" that consists of just about any sound that happens during the duration of it. I love that there's actually sheet music for it and all it says is to turn the pages after a certain amount of bars. I'm too rhythmically challenged to play it by myself unless I use a metronome, though.

They just use a stopwatch during performances.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I thought somebody here tried to claim ownership of 4'33 on Youtube just to be a goon/demonstrate how dumb Content ID is? Assuming they actually followed through, maybe that's what got you?

also, I really want to see a screenshot of that notification screen.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Did you successfully dispute it? What happened?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Psion posted:

I thought somebody here tried to claim ownership of 4'33 on Youtube just to be a goon/demonstrate how dumb Content ID is? Assuming they actually followed through, maybe that's what got you?

also, I really want to see a screenshot of that notification screen.

Makes me wish I'd saved it and the one on the Rogue Trooper vid, where they tried to claim it was some ambient wind CD thing, and, in fact, there was no ambient sounds save mah boot treads. But mostly, I get ones from Sony and EMI. Sony are mostly bros about their soundtrack, and just slap an ad on it, all fine with me. EMI tend to be a bit more schizophrenic about things (Blue Monday got through, nearly everything else I tried so far was blocked in Germany, because GEMA and other fun stuff.) But, of course, once you successfully dispute a claim, it no longer shows on your Copyright Notices thingumajigger.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure somebody actually had the same idea, because it was an official recordings company. Didn't bother checking whether the company actually owned the rights, because... Well, when a claim's just plain wrong, it's pretty fecking easy to dispute.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know where else to go to ask this, so hey thread, my next LP is gonna be Dead Space (I want to do the whole trilogy someday but I'll just start at the start) but my co-commentator and I had a couple disagreements and so he will not be joining me for it. If anyone watched my Max Payne 3 LP (0 people) or likes me (-5 people) feel free to PM me because I'm looking for someone to ride shotgun with me on it! If you haven't played Dead Space that's preferable but everyone and their brother has played Dead Space so it's not necessary.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I don't know where else to go to ask this, so hey thread, my next LP is gonna be Dead Space (I want to do the whole trilogy someday but I'll just start at the start) but my co-commentator and I had a couple disagreements and so he will not be joining me for it. If anyone watched my Max Payne 3 LP (0 people) or likes me (-5 people) feel free to PM me because I'm looking for someone to ride shotgun with me on it! If you haven't played Dead Space that's preferable but everyone and their brother has played Dead Space so it's not necessary.

Probably want to give more details than that. What kind of schedule are you shooting for? Is it going to be a completionist or just going through it? Are you expecting a YouTube-standard "oh a scary monster that made me jump" commentary or are you going to try and loredump?

• Locked thread