Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah man, that issue is something else. Like, if you have trouble with gratuitous violence and shock value it's clearly only going to go even further in that direction.
It's just Kirkman. Like, it's more of his batshit side and less of his actually-good-at-crafting-a-compelling-story side. Peak Bad Kirkman, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh hey, I just checked, and apparently the rights expired and Chew the series is back on, and its also getting a feature length animation (Although its probably just be a lovely motion comic).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A_Ruse! posted:

Did anyone else read Image comic's MPH (Mark Millar) this week? I was on the fence, but really enjoyed it. Some review out there summed it up perfectly by describing it as the Fast and the Furious of Indie comic issues - not particularly challenging, revolutionary or deep, but good fun.

Millar has been putting out some really good books lately. I really love the little thing in the back where he is patting himself on the back for putting out 3 issues of Starlight in a row.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

foutre posted:

I want there to be a world where there's a good television adaptation of Saga but I can't think of anyone who could pull that off, so it's probably for the best.

I'm really hoping Guardians of the Galaxy completely runs away with its property and is as batshit insane in a way no other mainstream blockbuster has been. Because of GotG is as uniquely bizarre as I secretly hope it will be then I have hope that a Saga TV adaption could work well. They could even go a new route or follow different characters like the journalists or mercenaries.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Go pick up The Last Broadcast, right loving now. Do it or I'll throw a hissy fit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's just Kirkman. Like, it's more of his batshit side and less of his actually-good-at-crafting-a-compelling-story side. Peak Bad Kirkman, if you will.

The gore was a lot darker then usual, I mean in color and inking, it wasn't the usual Evil Dead 2 bright red blood explosions. I'd bet the script has a note about it even, like he's got his absudist gore and then he's got his serious business gore.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirDan3k posted:

The gore was a lot darker then usual, I mean in color and inking, it wasn't the usual Evil Dead 2 bright red blood explosions. I'd bet the script has a note about it even, like he's got his absudist gore and then he's got his serious business gore.
Now that you mention it... yeah. It was. I kind of skimmed over it, because it was just the same poo poo over and over again.

Which makes me think of that time someone complained to him - was it in a letter column? a tweet? - about how an issue took them like five minutes to read because it was literally nothing but gore. Maybe the first Conquest fight? And he was just like "hey that's disrespectful to the artists" and all this stuff to cover up the fact that the entire issue was just blood splatters and closeups. And maybe sixteen panels of headbutt, if it was that one I'm thinking of.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I did end up picking up everything that's out of Revival; I like it a lot so far. It's kinda slow going the first couple of arcs but things are tying together now, the characters are all cool, and there's some neat foreshadowing if you reread. There's no doubt in my mind that this reads better volume by volume but I'm satisfied enough with the character beats to go monthly.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Michel Fiffe has finally announced a TPB with the first SIX issues of Copra, available for preorder this summer and due out in September. You can also read Copra #1 for free on his site, which I highly recommend:

http://michelfiffe.com/

I've heard fantastic hype and praise for Copra for over a year now, so it will be nice to finally own these as collected editions.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Michel Fiffe has finally announced a TPB with the first SIX issues of Copra, available for preorder this summer and due out in September. You can also read Copra #1 for free on his site, which I highly recommend:

http://michelfiffe.com/

I've heard fantastic hype and praise for Copra for over a year now, so it will be nice to finally own these as collected editions.

Finally read the first issue (free of Fiffe's site, if you didn't know), and yeah, I need this.

Like, sell you're buddy's sound system for drug money need this.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So I got a copy of the first volume of Invincible over the weekend on an Amazon sale, and it reads pretty good. I saw it mentioned in the first post, and didn't skim too thoroughly because I don't want to spoil myself on anything.

Is it worth getting into? How many volumes are currently out? Is it still ongoing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

So I got a copy of the first volume of Invincible over the weekend on an Amazon sale, and it reads pretty good. I saw it mentioned in the first post, and didn't skim too thoroughly because I don't want to spoil myself on anything.

Is it worth getting into? How many volumes are currently out? Is it still ongoing?

Yes, it's still ongoing and it's over 100 issues so you're looking at quite a few volumes. A lot of people here hate Invincible, for mostly understandable reasons. Tonally it's all over the place and Kirkman gets more and more aggressive with shock value and gore.

I don't think it's a great comic; the dialogue is extremely hamfisted and the overall quality fluctuates rapidly, but I still enjoy reading it. The art gets pretty good and it's just a quick, easily digestible page-turner. I'm in the minority here, because I don't mind the violence at all - it's always gratuitous, but rarely do I feel it is pointless. YMMV, but this is probably the most positive critique you're going to get here. I recommend it if you can get a good deal on it (it often goes on sale digitally).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would say at least the first Ultimate Collection is really solid. Kirkman falls back onto shock and awe more and more as the story goes on.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

I would say at least the first Ultimate Collection is really solid. Kirkman falls back onto shock and awe more and more as the story goes on.

I think if you can get it when its on sale its well worth it - It has lots of really cool stuff mixed in with some ehhh. It doesn't really go crazy till about issue 90? Even then its usually pretty fun (I really like Allen the Alien and Nolans BFF / Redemption arc stuff, even if it is mixed with rape and a crappy dr dinosaur knock off)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Vultrimite war is basically blood and guts for 22 pages an issue and a great drop off point.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, I'm not too much into blood and guts for the sake of blood and guts, so I think I'll give it a pass. Thanks, though!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Warren Ellis project "Trees" #1 is pretty good. Enjoyed Southern Bastards #2 as well. Anyone have an impression of COWL?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
C.O.W.L. #1 was pretty good. It was like a superhero version of an episode of the Wire or something. The artwork and coloring were amazing. Definitely worth picking up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Memoir is really drat good. If you like a batshit crazy horror story, you need this.

https://www.comixology.com/Memoir/comics-series/5389

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Southern Bastards was pretty good, but Deadly Class was my best comic this week. Well drawn, unpredictable, good characters, I am a bit surprised how much I like a book about Harry Potter with assassins. Bonus points for the part at the end where RR talks about how autobiographical the book is.
Trees was neat, too. Issue 1 just set up the world, but it's a neat world so I'll follow it for a bit at least.
COWL felt like all episode and very little world or overarching plot. Just a day in the life in a notably different world. A neat day, but the issue did nothing to really introduce anything.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Picked up the first issue of Henchmen (Jamison Raymond/Ryan Howe, put out by Robot Paper.) It's pretty fun--a normal cubicle-type guy turns to henching after losing his wife and job in the same day.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
This is some months old but I just got caught up with Fatale, and found a very good episode of Kieron Gillen's Decompressed podcast with Sean Philips and Ed Brubaker on it. There's talk about how they work together, nice words about Bettie Breitweiser, movie adaptations, moving away from mainstream comics, and some soft digs at Liefeld. Caveat: it is poorly mic'd and in front of a live audience so some parts are hard to make out, but still worth a listen.

Also can't wait for The Fade Out to come out from these guys this August.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been enjoying the return of Mark Waid's Empire at Thrillbent. So far only one issue but it looks like it will be updating every other Wednesday.

The original Empire series was one of my favorites for the well thought out supervillain victory dystopia. Especially how the backstory is there but not explained in every little detail, we only get snippets of the eight year war by Golgoth to conquer the earth but it is disturbingly well presented. I really like the single lines of dialogue and panels that point towards how Golgoth is shaping the planet to fit his vision, like how English is now the mandatory language or how the calendar has been reset to coincide with Golgoth's reign. I really hope in the upcoming issues that Waid gives more details about the other superheroes who were on the planet.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I reread Empire v1 when I saw that it was coming back to Thrillbent, and I totally agree that it's a pretty great comic. It's honestly my favorite Mark Waid creator-owned joint.

Barry Kitson is kind of weird in that he's not an artist who's immediately eyecatching, but if you talk to anyone who's worked with him they have nothing but praise for his storytelling, so it's a hard contribution to quantify. Still, they did some very cool poo poo on Legion together.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I'm reading Prophet, up to Vol. 3, and uh, is it supposed to be incomprehensible. Like I get the gist of the story, but I feel that parts are missing, which may be tied to the fact that A) I don't remember previous volumes because they don't make sense at the time and B) I had never read or heard of Liefeld's original. I like the worlds and settings and stuff, but drat do I have no idea what's going on.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It's pretty convoluted and insane by design. It would probably make more sense if the previous issues were fresh in your mind. The pacing is very fast and it doesn't hold your hand. This is a story about a swarm of clones of one dude, several of which are essentially identical except for a scar or an arm made of alien goo.

The original Awesome Comics/Maximum Press characters exist largely as name drops and have been transformed so much that they barely resemble their original incarnations.

(I'm also pretty sure the trades reorganized explicitly to make the story more comprehensible, but I've been reading it as it comes out.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So is Thrillbent worth subscribing to? With all you guys talking up Empire and the fact that you get the first volume DRM free with signup and the fact that it's the cost of like one issue of one comic book a month seems to indicate "yes," but I was wondering how y'all feel about it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GrandpaPants posted:

So I'm reading Prophet, up to Vol. 3, and uh, is it supposed to be incomprehensible. Like I get the gist of the story, but I feel that parts are missing, which may be tied to the fact that A) I don't remember previous volumes because they don't make sense at the time and B) I had never read or heard of Liefeld's original. I like the worlds and settings and stuff, but drat do I have no idea what's going on.

I was in the same spot, totally lost going from issue to issue. Re-reading without long breaks made the story a lot more coherent. In general, though, it seems to be Graham's style to leave some spots for you to fill in the blanks, kind of like old fables.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah it's understandable to feel lost, especially if you're unfamiliar with the old Image properties. Some make neat cameos but others are pretty pivotal to the main plot. The plot's focus also jumps around a lot and you can easily forget about certain characters after they're introduced because the story doesn't return to them until months later. I try to reread the previous stuff as each new issue is released to keep a bird's eye view on the overall story.

Basically, at the point you're at in the story, there are two factions. The old Earth Empire is reconsolidating it's hold over the galaxy after being awakened by Newfather Prophet (the first John introduced in #21 who now wears a dolmantle for his lost arm). We learn that this society is made up of Johns, who are barbaric, foot soldiers specifically gene-engineered to suit various roles and battlefields; all the different Johns we see running around in the first couple of arcs are the sleeper agents reawakened by Newfather after the first arc. The Johns are psychically controlled by the Earth Mothers, shriveled up masses of flesh who mentally project their image as little girls. There also appears to be a collective consciousness that is governing the whole Empire, one that starts to lose influence the further away the Johns are from it.

The Earth Empire is opposed by Old Man Prophet, who is sometimes called the traitor of the Wolf-Rayet Star. Through allusions and flashbacks, we learn that this John led a slave revolt long ago that brought down the original Earth Empire. Old Man Prophet is currently seeking out his old allies and brothers (such as Diehard, the scale people, the tree-like Kinniaa, and the old sleeping war robots) to once again confront the reawakened Empire.

Concurrent to all this is Troll, who is another Image legacy character and once part of the team Youngblood (along with Diehard and Badrock). Back then, he looked like this goofy motherfucker but in the current series he appears as a mysteriously cowled and cloaked figure who is influencing both Newfather and Old Man Prophet through dreams and visions. Troll warns both sides of a "red pain" residing in the heart of the galaxy that threatens everything. Not to spoil anything, but his plans involve Badrock, another long-lived member of Youngblood. The book has made allusions to him already with mentions of "McCall's children", the living celestial bodies floating in space.

That's pretty much the big moving pieces to keep an eye one. The penultimate issue was just recently released, then we have #45, and finally the Prophet: Earth War series which will wrap up everything (hopefully).

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I picked up some stuff from Jack Gross at CAKE, and I have to say that she impressed me immensely. Great style that feels right in line with a show like Gravity Falls or a comic like Lumberjanes, a wonderful sense of humor, and just a pretty nice young cartoonist. There were some other great folks there, but if you like fun, you should definitely dig into Jack Gross's comics.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So is Thrillbent worth subscribing to? With all you guys talking up Empire and the fact that you get the first volume DRM free with signup and the fact that it's the cost of like one issue of one comic book a month seems to indicate "yes," but I was wondering how y'all feel about it.

So far I would say yes, the first volume of Empire and two additional issues a month make it worth $4. I honestly don't know anything about the rest of the Thrillbent catalog, I need to browse through and see if what other good stuff they have.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Caliban went from a comic I was hugely excited about to a total snoozefest in just three issues. Great job there, comic writers.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hedrigall posted:

Caliban went from a comic I was hugely excited about to a total snoozefest in just three issues. Great job there, comic writers.

I hear you. At first I was impressed that Avatar was putting it out, then it turned into another Avatar comic.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I hear you. At first I was impressed that Avatar was putting it out, then it turned into another Avatar comic.

Are Avatar comics known for being bad or something? I haven't read any of them but Gillen's Uber and I thought that was pretty good. Just curious since Uber was the first I'd heard of them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

gogisha posted:

Are Avatar comics known for being bad or something? I haven't read any of them but Gillen's Uber and I thought that was pretty good. Just curious since Uber was the first I'd heard of them.

They employ really bad artists who mostly imitate their first star Juan Jose Ryp, awful colorists and most of their comics is gore schlock.

Uber has really intelligent and provocative comic underneath the "supernazis knee-deep in blood and skulls" aesthetic dictated by the publisher.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Avatar very clearly has a pretty ugly style that you'll notice as soon as you see it, not to mention the disgusting promotional tactics they've used around Crossed but they have some good books every now and again in spite of it all.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My only real complain about Thrillbent is that we're not getting more Arcanum for a while because John Rogers got hit in the teeth by his day job of producing TV shows.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moot the hopple posted:

Concurrent to all this is Troll, who is another Image legacy character and once part of the team Youngblood (along with Diehard and Badrock). Back then, he looked like this goofy motherfucker but in the current series he appears as a mysteriously cowled and cloaked figure who is influencing both Newfather and Old Man Prophet through dreams and visions. Troll warns both sides of a "red pain" residing in the heart of the galaxy that threatens everything. Not to spoil anything, but his plans involve Badrock, another long-lived member of Youngblood. The book has made allusions to him already with mentions of "McCall's children", the living celestial bodies floating in space.

Somehow I knew that Wolverine clone existed and that he was named Troll, but I never put two and two together. Christ.

That summed it up pretty well and I'm glad that I'm not missing some glaring hole even though it really feels like I am most of the time. The series reminds me a lot of The Incal in just how crazy the world is, without any sort of introduction to any of the craziness.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I feel like I can forgive the Prophet guys for sometimes going off on an indulgent tangent because the world they're building is so rich and exciting that I wouldn't mind a couple of more issues just to explore it. There's an upcoming issue for you that's focused completely on Diehard but it features some ridiculously awesome art from a bunch of great guys and gives a lot of backstory on the world and the first war. Even when they drop you into what is seemingly an entirely separate setting, there's enough ties to the main story to prevent it from going completely off the rails.

Another little thing I love about the series is how they use the back pages as a showcase for other comics. I can't say that I've enjoyed each and every single one, but I really appreciate the magnanimous gesture of giving some extra exposure to their friends. Image used to do a similar thing through Top Cow with Pilot Season, where new creators could pitch and hopefully launch a series on the merits of their first issue, but they've stopped doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Have they ever explained why they decided to base it off Prophet if it's 99% new anyway? Is it just an in-joke of turning a (presumably) terrible Liefeld franchise into something completely different?