Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lattitude
Apr 26, 2010

The problem with maths in comics is I'm never sure how intentional the jokes are. It's pretty clever since the function's an iterative map, a key part of chaos theory, but simultaneously implies that tina has a college level education in maths or physics and she's still stuck being a waitress :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

"Hey let's cut off these dude's ears! It'll be fun!"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

This is how you do a gadget joke.

[quote]
Compu-Toon

This is... :psyduck:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Poor Tristram is so indignant about running away.

The Little King

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

There is nothing I hate more in this thread than this stupid, written-out baby talk. Literally nothing. Mike du Jour is awful, Rex Morgan is infuriatingly inane, but that baby talk. UUUUGGGGHHHHH.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Here's the 5th newspaper/chapter break from Weapon Brown!

At least one Goon visited me at my book signing this past Saturday at Comics Etc. in Rochester (mwah!) I will be having another book signing in Buffalo this Wednesday. The deets are here! I hope any Buffalo based Goons who can make it will turn out!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh no, Foob's leaking into other comics! :ohdear:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
drat that's a fine Vader:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

This looks promising!

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

I don't get it.

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is almost certainly Jenner. He's still got the burns from the electrical engine he tried to steal. So I wonder who the boss is?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Now I know that SM takes a lot of liberties with the truth - superpowers, evil clowns, etc -

... but a NYC cabbie that speaks English?!? That's where I draw the line. :rimshot:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Notice the tree branches in the photo are bare. If the picture had been taken in July, the tree would probably have its leaves.

Slylock Fox

Whatever it is, I really hope it's nothing circumstantial that could easily be altered by any joyrider to throw cops off his/her trail!

Moose and Molly

So does Moose make a habit of just arbitrarily deciding to continue his internal monologues with Chester out of nowhere?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Didn't Gil have a whole drawer full of rocks and it broke from the weight?

Retail

Marla's disregard for company policy bites her in the rear end yet again. You know, I would honestly love to see Marla actually put her money where her mouth is instead of constantly spouting off platitudes and start her own independent store.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dustin

Dustin: That was a great game.
Ed: I'll say. There's nothing like ballpark food.

On the Fastrack

Hope you don't have any job where you need to multitask then.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

It's like Retail but with religious bigotry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god, is newspaper spidey going to do Superior Spider-Man? Do it! DO IT!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Wee Pals

I don't get it.

Being parents to Wellington was such a terrible experience they decided not to risk blighting the world with any more of their spawn.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Marla's disregard for company policy bites her in the rear end yet again. You know, I would honestly love to see Marla actually put her money where her mouth is instead of constantly spouting off platitudes and start her own independent store.

No matter the retail company, there is one policy that always trumps all others: Do whatever the customer says if it keeps them coming back. You're not supposed to open the box but the customer wants to look at the item? You pop the tape and take the chance. You aren't supposed to take a return because the item is (opened/has no receipt/isn't from your store)? You take that return. "I'll take my business elsewhere!" just makes the floor workers roll their eyes--but the DM will pitch a fit.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

The poor little girl has wandered within meddling range!

Rex Morgan MD

"What's this crap I hear about you not wanting to wear the hat?"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This is legit great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Hope you don't have any job where you need to multitask then.

If you do a job that involves programming it can sometimes take a half the day to properly get into "the zone" where you are real productive and got the whole project loaded into your working memory so to speak, so you can get a nice complete picture of what you're working on, all the kinks and problems and to do lists.

Then someone comes right a long and needs you to help them because outlook froze or some poo poo like that. Or you need to do some trivial and boring office work, usually in MS office. Totally ruins everything you worked to accomplish and you won't get up to the same productivity again today.

I guess your job is not challenging and just rote office work then you can multitask fine as long as you got a nice system to keep all the reminders going off in time, so you don't forget stuff.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

lattitude posted:

The problem with maths in comics is I'm never sure how intentional the jokes are. It's pretty clever since the function's an iterative map, a key part of chaos theory, but simultaneously implies that tina has a college level education in maths or physics and she's still stuck being a waitress :(.

A friend of mine is like that. She's very good at math and physics, she could have gone to Cern and pursue a career there, but she chose to go to restaurant business and works as a waitress. She's not a dropout or someone who didn't get work, it was 100% her choice. Likes it more, and doesn't find it stressful.

At least she's happy, and that's what matters most.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

Whatever it is, I really hope it's nothing circumstantial that could easily be altered by any joyrider to throw cops off his/her trail!
It's that the seat is adjusted for a tall person, so yes.

Arlo and Janis

Huh?

That intercom must have an amazing speaker.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Ah yes, because a silenced revolver wouldn't be heard in THE NEXT ROOM.

loving magical movie silencers ruining detective stories...

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom
That entire solution hinges on the secretary not flat out lying. Why are we supposed to take her statements at face value?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pidmon posted:

Ah yes, because a silenced revolver wouldn't be heard in THE NEXT ROOM.

loving magical movie silencers ruining detective stories...

From what I picked up reading TFR you can actually silence some revolvers, and if you use a small caliber and subsonic ammunition you can actually silence gunshots pretty well, going from ear-shattering to "just" a really loud noise but AFAIK only outside where the sound won't bounce around. So let's say he had his really big three wall window+skylight open and some really thick padded walls while the secretary used noise canceling headphones while listening to loud music and it might work, still pretty darn dumb though. Or maybe he used one of these : http://s4.postimg.org/5hn4ef0ka/Dewalt_Nail_Gun.jpg

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:(

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Everything Counts posted:

No matter the retail company, there is one policy that always trumps all others: Do whatever the customer says if it keeps them coming back. You're not supposed to open the box but the customer wants to look at the item? You pop the tape and take the chance. You aren't supposed to take a return because the item is (opened/has no receipt/isn't from your store)? You take that return. "I'll take my business elsewhere!" just makes the floor workers roll their eyes--but the DM will pitch a fit.
I worked in the legal minefield that is retail pharmacy where I got to tell customers "no" a lot and boy did it piss them off and I got swore at often. Never got in trouble for it though. The few times I did get scolded was because I didn't follow protocol.

If company policy says don't open the box then I'm not opening that box unless directly ordered to by someone higher up. If it's my own store then I'm still not opening that box because I'd have to eat the loss on having to sell an opened item at a discount when the customer decides not to buy it.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
And the plot plods forward in today's Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Cap'n Eddie's the best.

Doublin' the Heavenly Nostrils, Dana's back on the line..

Ok, I really did have to look up "fetlock". Now I know. :v:

Or, is it a cat that is a remote control helicopter... :v:

Kliban

:stare:

9 Chickweed Lane 6/2/2003

Yeah, ok, whatever.

Zits

Is that stuff still around? Yeah, I know hair mousse, styling gel, whatever, but brylcreem was unique. In "let's just slather petroleum jelly on our hair" unique.

Huh. I guess it is. The only time I used it was for 50's day when I was in HS.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh: Holbrook's "one liners" never cease to suck.

Wha? Both are perfectly acceptable!

I stopped smoking in '08, but every time I either walk by a cigar shop, or smell one burning somewhere, I about melt right there on the pavement omgiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantit!

:v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Twofer, because I really liked Saturdays' as well.

The Creeps is kinda supportive today...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 14, 1927)

Peanuts (June 5, 1967)

GoComics never posts the real dates of these repeats, but some things are just so incredibly 1967.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

:goleft:

The Dinette Set

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"And I will now give you the book you need for free because that always happens!"

I wish I could stop reading Funky Winkerbean :(

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Midnight Moth posted:

I worked in the legal minefield that is retail pharmacy where I got to tell customers "no" a lot and boy did it piss them off and I got swore at often. Never got in trouble for it though. The few times I did get scolded was because I didn't follow protocol.

If company policy says don't open the box then I'm not opening that box unless directly ordered to by someone higher up. If it's my own store then I'm still not opening that box because I'd have to eat the loss on having to sell an opened item at a discount when the customer decides not to buy it.

Yeah pharmacy has to be annoying. "No, ma'am, I won't fill your prescription early as a favor. I will not commit a Federal crime to avoid inconveniencing you. "

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Bosco was is basically the same as Ovaltine or Nestle Quik. Except that it was once called "Bosco Milk Amplifier".

Puffin v. Penguin continues.

Calvin And Hobbes

:3:

Ripley's

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I loving love Prince Valiant.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Byzantine posted:

I loving love Prince Valiant.

Seriously. I never gave it any thought as a kid because I couldn't follow the story at all, but when you put it all together, it's great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That intercom must have an amazing speaker.

... Donald Westlake, the mystery novelist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

• Locked thread