Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

But no, seriously, what? Is she credited or anything, because she has no spoken lines and it was random as gently caress just bumping into her.

She voices a few bits of NPC ambiance and then actually does have a small spiel when you encounter her there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God drat are pubbies cowards.

Yes, fighting off being invaded is hard. Yes, if you someone starts tapping your phone in a crowded area then it is hard to find them. That's what makes it FUN.

Instead I've had seven multiplayer games terminate early because the host ran around in a circle for a minute, then exited out of the game.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So is this game like GTA with the ability to hack stoplights and the police and the firetrucks and the city's infrastructure, can you be a super hacker rear end in a top hat sandbox mode or is it all railroaded into the missions?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

leidend posted:

This is one of the better take downs I've seen

http://gfycat.com/EvenResponsibleHornbill

Ha ha, I JUST did this mission except I hopped cameras, closed the gate, and then blacked-out the district. Walked calmly up to the driver's side and executed the guy with my pistol. Like. A. Boss.

I like their technique better, though.

I do appreciate that there seems to be multiple ways to accomplish a goal. It always miffed me in GTA that if you're chasing someone, even if you shoot out their tires, they're invincible and faster than you until they hit the exact point Rockstar decided you can kill them.

This game says: Hey, if you can find a better way, go for it.

Screw driving all over the district after a guy.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2014

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

So is this game like GTA with the ability to hack stoplights and the police and the firetrucks and the city's infrastructure, can you be a super hacker rear end in a top hat sandbox mode or is it all railroaded into the missions?

You can do just about whatever you want by the 2nd or 3rd mission. There's just a couple side activities that don't unlock until later in the game. They don't have any parts of the city locked off or anything but there are ctOS centers that are locked through the plot that prevent you from hacking certain areas but you get most if not all of them unlocked by the end of the second act. You might be able to take them on if you know where they are without following the plot but I never tried it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Whoever did the explosives sound design in this game deserve an award, or something. The sound of an IED going off right next to you and the chain reaction of metal tearing apart is actually terrifying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snuffman posted:

This game says: Hey, if you can find a better way, go for it.
Doesn't the target leaving mean the player already MASSIVELY hosed up the approach to his target in the gang hideout?

Sweet gif of losing out on a pretty easy stealth mission and then "saving" it via a lucky hit and a glitch, bro.

Maybe make some youtube vids and add your own voice shouting HAHAHAHA THIS GAME IS SO BROKEN

VarXX posted:

You can do just about whatever you want by the 2nd or 3rd mission. There's just a couple side activities that don't unlock until later in the game. They don't have any parts of the city locked off or anything but there are ctOS centers that are locked through the plot that prevent you from hacking certain areas but you get most if not all of them unlocked by the end of the second act. You might be able to take them on if you know where they are without following the plot but I never tried it.
I'd say that players ought to push through to "open your world" as quickly as possible. Then do whatever the gently caress you like. You just pwned The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ain't nothing gonna stop you now brah.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, I was thinking to myself, "Man, I'm never going to get the Traced achievement" and then it pops. Thank you, anonymous five hackers who scanned me without my knowledge!

Also, drat, some dude is mayor of 22 hotspots in the city. Dedicated.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Speedball posted:

Haha, I was thinking to myself, "Man, I'm never going to get the Traced achievement" and then it pops. Thank you, anonymous five hackers who scanned me without my knowledge!

Also, drat, some dude is mayor of 22 hotspots in the city. Dedicated.

I've checked in like 5 times (once a day) to places where the mayor only has 2 check ins in the last week and it still hasn't given me it :argh:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

God drat are pubbies cowards.

Yes, fighting off being invaded is hard. Yes, if you someone starts tapping your phone in a crowded area then it is hard to find them. That's what makes it FUN.

Instead I've had seven multiplayer games terminate early because the host ran around in a circle for a minute, then exited out of the game.

The worst is getting to 98% and having the host exit. The bastard saw me before I even started the hack and I was the only other person around near a deserted factory.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Fuzz posted:

But more importantly, Lana.

Lana.

LANA.

LANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

LANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Danger Zone.

But no, seriously, what? Is she credited or anything, because she has no spoken lines and it was random as gently caress just bumping into her.

She is also in a privacy invasion thingy.
The reason she is in the game is that she works with Ubisoft at E3 presenting their press conference/show (or she did the last 2 years) and is also a gamer.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Doesn't the target leaving mean the player already MASSIVELY hosed up the approach to his target in the gang hideout?

Sweet gif of losing out on a pretty easy stealth mission and then "saving" it via a lucky hit and a glitch, bro.

Maybe make some youtube vids and add your own voice shouting HAHAHAHA THIS GAME IS SO BROKEN

That wasn't my .gif :confused:

Also, yes, in most cases if the target is fleeing, you've done goofed, however that instance is a scripted fleeing character from a mission. As far as I know you have to chase him.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how he fights crime, but he'll commit just as many if not more than everyone else.

I was chasing some loan shark down the street and I committed identity theft and credit fraud twice while running after this guy full tilt. You just casually hack someone without even breaking stride. Then after I get my man, I steal someone's car. I'm a vigilante cleaning this city up :downsbravo:

tardhat
Jan 2, 2006

Ah Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet!

skooma512 posted:

I like how he fights crime, but he'll commit just as many if not more than everyone else.

I was chasing some loan shark down the street and I committed identity theft and credit fraud twice while running after this guy full tilt. You just casually hack someone without even breaking stride. Then after I get my man, I steal someone's car. I'm a vigilante cleaning this city up :downsbravo:

It's OK when I do it though. Those guys are jerks. I have a _reason_ for being a thieving rear end in a top hat~

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

skooma512 posted:

But you're chasing down murderers!

Remember, it's okay to destroy someone's life, just as long as you don't take it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've noticed that with the traffic light hacks, the game is perfectly willing to gently caress around just to ensure a car crash. I had some cars kinda slowly moving toward each other when I hacked it, and when I hit the button they crossed an invisible threshold and then suddenly sped up by about 20 MPH in the span of five feet and crashed hard enough to burst into flames.

Speaking of funny car things, you know the "Big Brother" mission at the beginning where you're chasing down the guy who was crank calling your sister? During Aiden's phone call to Nicky, I ended up ramming the target into oncoming traffic and having him bail out. Cue Aiden getting out of his car and beating the crap out of the guy with a baton while still trying to tell Nicky that he wasn't doing anything bad. It's the kind of comedic timing that you don't get anywhere else.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I had started to wonder how cars drove with 4 popped tires, then I got invaded, and this video resulted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOPIOBsnCQ

I think by the end I made him angry...

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

coyo7e posted:

Jesus, dude, calm down. He was literally complimenting the game and you still interpreted it as scathing hatred or something. I like this game a lot too, but don't go jumping at everything that might seem like criticism just because of some smug self-righteous jackoffs overblowing the flaws for the sake of contrarian anti-hype circlejerking or whatever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

I had started to wonder how cars drove with 4 popped tires, then I got invaded, and this video resulted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOPIOBsnCQ

I think by the end I made him angry...

Haha, wow, I need to get the antitank rifle I guess.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Game sounds like it sucks. Graphics, story, main character, online, controls, driving and guns all look weak as gently caress.

bu..bu...but there is a wu tang song from 15 years ago! GOTY

Anyone desperately defending their purchase of this poo poo game should be taken out back and shot (with a gay auto aim gun and trenchcoat )

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

K.

:Edit:

its u

Orv
May 4, 2011

swims posted:

Game sounds like it sucks. Graphics, story, main character, online, controls, driving and guns all look weak as gently caress.

bu..bu...but there is a wu tang song from 15 years ago! GOTY

Anyone desperately defending their purchase of this poo poo game should be taken out back and shot (with a gay auto aim gun and trenchcoat )

Great first post there guy.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Remember, it's okay to destroy someone's life, just as long as you don't take it.

Um? Excuse me I only steal from people making at least $50k a year.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I still haven't used any skill points on the ATM hack boost because I figure at some point my gamestop preorder bonus will kick in and I will get it for free, but I still have over $160k from siphoning off bits from every blue profile I find. I'm saving for the "Niece's name" (seriously don't remember it) Foundation For Victims of Hacking.

On another note, it's funny to me that this game's Chicago has more verticality in each neighborhood than the entirety of Infamous: Second Son's Seattle.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can see him reasoning it away as taking the bank's money since they'll likely flag it as fraud and refund the money.

I mean, they already do give your money back today and hacking isn't so easy as being able to be done in a full sprint while being shot at.

At least they figured out what to do with us millenials, they made all of us work for fraud reporting call centers.

Still shoots a big hole in the whole vigilante thing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I can see him reasoning it away as taking the bank's money since they'll likely flag it as fraud and refund the money.

I mean, they already do give your money back today and hacking isn't so easy as being able to be done in a full sprint while being shot at.

At least they figured out what to do with us millenials, they made all of us work for fraud reporting call centers.

I haven't made it that far in the plot, but isn't the opening Merlaut job just a big money grab? I mean they're just siphoning money out, it's not like they were getting some crime fighting info or anything.

tardhat
Jan 2, 2006

Ah Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet!

Sigma-X posted:

I haven't made it that far in the plot, but isn't the opening Merlaut job just a big money grab? I mean they're just siphoning money out, it's not like they were getting some crime fighting info or anything.

They make a game with Game of Thrones writers and nobody likes it because the game mostly sucks.
They make a game with hilarious action that's a lot of fun to play and people just tear it apart because the story isn't believable.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

coyo7e posted:

Dude that's a story mission, He didn't gently caress up stealthing a gang hideout, that gif is like 20 seconds after a cutscene where the target gets into a car to escape you. Stop being so god drat angry at videogames.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Actually one of those conversations you get from hacking random phones tells that banks don't refund frauds. The reasoning was that there is no paper trail and when you hack someone's bank account you do it so thoroughly that there is no record of this person ever having money in that account. In fact the bank accused the victim of fraud because he kept sending them "fake" email statements.

quote:

Well, the point is you can play Aiden however you want right?

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 2, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

skooma512 posted:

That's pretty much the whole game. I was doing one of the of the gang hideout missions last night and I guess I was getting revenge on some guy for beating someone up by murdering everyone in his gang and then beating him up? It doesn't really give you any non lethal options other than that boring canned takedown so I usually feel like I'm playing as a murderous rear end in a top hat. Luckily I don't care because the story is beyond dumb.

At least the story can be fun on a moment to moment basis, which I care about more in a video game than an actual good story. It reminds me of Far Cry 3 where everything is dumb, but I'm having fun doing it so whatever.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
You can shoot them in the leg or crotch and pretend you're only neutralising them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

the truth posted:

On another note, it's funny to me that this game's Chicago has more verticality in each neighborhood than the entirety of Infamous: Second Son's Seattle.

Still less vertical than GTA5 though. There, you had tons of ladders and fire escapes available for no reason except for you to climb on top of buildings. In Watch Dogs, most fire escapes are decorative and always out of reach.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

HoratioRash posted:

You can shoot them in the leg or crotch and pretend you're only neutralising them.

At least for cops it actually distinguishese between non-lethal shots in the legs and arms and lethal shots to the head and most of the torso.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I dread to think how much I've cost the taxpayer in road surface destruction alone. I cannot resist blowing up those Steam Pipes and sending everyone scattering in panic.

I really don't understand where Aiden's Vigilante thing comes from, he starts off the game robbing a bank and he's never done anything to suggest he decided to become a crime fighter, am I missing something?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fans posted:

I dread to think how much I've cost the taxpayer in road surface destruction alone. I cannot resist blowing up those Steam Pipes and sending everyone scattering in panic.

I really don't understand where Aiden's Vigilante thing comes from, he starts off the game robbing a bank and he's never done anything to suggest he decided to become a crime fighter, am I missing something?

The 11 months between his niece's death and the stadium, I suppose the first 4 Aiden logs might tell you something but I never listened to those.

V:Less bad, since you are still penalized. Though the vehicle takedowns don't cost rep, which is nice.

Hel fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 2, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Randler posted:

At least for cops it actually distinguishese between non-lethal shots in the legs and arms and lethal shots to the head and most of the torso.

I had no idea about this until just now a tooltip told me that kneecapping cops is better for my reputation :allears:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

coyo7e posted:

Are you on PC? I've only had one person whom I ever suspected of doing that to me when I was hacking them, ever, on xbox 360.

Yeah i'm on PC. Its frustrating as hell because I want to play online and gently caress with people, but literally everyone is quitting out on me right now. My first two hacks were fine, since then its just all disconnects, all the time.

E: Maybe I should just give tailing a go. Two more thoughts, spider tank is legitimately fun as hell. Alone is good and could be a game in its own right, its a shame that it wears thin after 20 minutes. It took me an hour and a half the clear the city and by that time I was just loving bored.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 2, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The gangster costume makes me wish this game was a full sci-fi Blade Runner-esque game where Aiden is a Junker or something, hunting down Cyborgs with his advanced technology to stop them taking over the world in sci-fi Chicago where it rains all the time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you injected 40% pure saints row into this game it'd turn from crap to solid gold though.

Seriously. Imagine an invasion type where you gotta target some guy with high explosive quadro-copters and remote control bomb cars.

Or that gun from Elysium which shoots airburst bullets that explode in proximity to someone if you profile them first.

Or hacking those automated forklifts all over the place to drive them around smooshing people with a pallet of diapers / concrete / illegal drug money / high explosives.

Basically what I'm saying is they need to jump forward into the future so we can have crazy sci-fi nonsense.

Or a one time craftable that causes someone to suffer hallucinations Default style so you can slip away.

While we're at it they could have loving riggers from shadow-run and you can slowly hack them to take control of their drones (and occasionally they pop jam-coms to stop you, or know where you are while you're trying to hack their poo poo and paint you for all their friends)

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch_Dogs really would have been seriously improved by not taking itself so seriously. It kinda does that with some of the side missions but it just makes them stand out more from Aiden Pierce's Grim Grimness of Dead Niece Revenge.

• Locked thread