Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Vehementi posted:

Came here with this sentiment. I'm fine with Oberyn losing or whatever, but this was an extremely dumb scene. "lol he wasn't actually wounded, GOT YA!" despite being speared at least 1 foot through the chest. ROH-KAY :downs: It's like the red wedding where 500 soldiers kept a perfect secret etc. and it was this preposterously elaborate plot. Kill Jon? OK fine. Masterstroke of writing, nobody saw it coming because you wanted to have him avenge Ned and all your hope is crushed. But the way it was presented in the TV show? loving lol are you serious? It's like they bring in a retarded guest director for some important episodes.

And how he smashed that guy's head in with his bare hands?! THATS JUST CRAZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure how you could make a character getting his head smashed in by a 10 foot giant any less gruesome. Also I don't see how the gore took away from the scene at all. It was unpleasant to watch, but that strengthens the impact if anything.

I don't care for it because it comes off as just cheap tv sensationalism. I don't think the goriness in this case says anything poetic or telling about the violent, brutal world these characters live in. We already know this is a violent world, but the show has been building up more blood and innards every season. The excessive use of horrific violence actually dampens the impact when it does happen. The RW was shocking and sad. This was just disgusting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vintersorg posted:

No, you see - I care about their personal lives. When they die - a small part of me dies.

I have to take my posters down now and i'll post a YouTube memoriam later.

my point was just i think a cutaway after the head explosion instead of showing it probably would have been cooler because after the blood spatter and eyeball destroying because you had the most gruesome thoughts in your head already and apparently using your imagination is overrated.

which is why people watch the show and not read the books i guess.

its a really minor nitpick tho imo i am very happy with oberyns face becoming blood sausage.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Jesus Christ, that was brutal

Now I just want to see The Hounds reaction to hearing his brother died. Let him get a happy laugh.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hot Pie won.

I think. He seems happy!

Think like a show runner for Game of Thrones

You've got cannibal wildings on the loose

and a fat kid called Hot Pie...

hallik
Aug 15, 2003
So Sansa was in all black and feathers. Isn't that representin' Littlefinger's black bird symbol? Her way of showing acceptance and allegiance?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The excessive use of horrific violence actually dampens the impact when it does happen. The RW was shocking and sad. This was just disgusting.

I thought it was pretty messed up and shocking because I didn't expect a draw. At the same though, the guy's primary character trait is "cocky", so I should have seen what happened coming.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BubbleGoose posted:

I don't care for it because it comes off as just cheap tv sensationalism. I don't think the goriness in this case says anything poetic or telling about the violent, brutal world these characters live in. We already know this is a violent world, but the show has been building up more blood and innards every season. The excessive use of horrific violence actually dampens the impact when it does happen. The RW was shocking and sad. This was just disgusting.

The scene (headsmashing with a bloodcloud, etc) was somewhere between 99-100% accurate to the books.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All this pissing and moaning is going to make me quit the show before anyone's death does.

hallik posted:

So Sansa was in all black and feathers. Isn't that representin' Littlefinger's black bird symbol? Her way of showing acceptance and allegiance?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the intent. Also works to show mourning for her aunt, but that part is obviously a ploy.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Vehementi posted:

Came here with this sentiment. I'm fine with Oberyn losing or whatever, but this was an extremely dumb scene. "lol he wasn't actually wounded, GOT YA!" despite being speared at least 1 foot through the chest. ROH-KAY :downs: It's like the red wedding where 500 soldiers kept a perfect secret etc. and it was this preposterously elaborate plot. Kill Jon? OK fine. Masterstroke of writing, nobody saw it coming because you wanted to have him avenge Ned and all your hope is crushed. But the way it was presented in the TV show? loving lol are you serious? It's like they bring in a retarded guest director for some important episodes.

It's a completely faithful adaptation, or at least to the book excerpt I read online (got the link from the last thread).

I glanced at the spoiler thread and they're gushing about how accurate the fight is to its source material.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
^ That's ok, they have license to make it not terrible.

Roman Reigns posted:

And how he smashed that guy's head in with his bare hands?! THATS JUST CRAZY

No like if The Mountain had just unceremoniously chopped off both of Oberyn's legs mid air while he was dancing around and then crushed his eyes like that, it would have been fine. But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEADINCAPACITATED, GET IT? HAHAHA!". (edit for confused people) That aspect of it ruined the episode for me. I'm surprised they didn't cut to yackity sax with a 30 second head punching scene.

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 2, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BubbleGoose posted:

Oberyn has been defined by his handsomeness, charm, sensuality, and pride since he showed up. He's the Fonz of King's Landing. I dunno how you can't see the poetic purpose to having somebody knock out his teeth and smash his head like a grape.

I can understand thinking the way it was shot goes a little too far, but it's definitely a poetic death.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All this pissing and moaning is going to make me quit the show before anyone's death does.

Or you could just quit the thread. That would work out better for everyone. There's no need to get pissy just because people voice criticisms of the show. The show doesn't do everything perfectly and people have different reactions to what they see. Jesus, folks.

The Glumslinger posted:

The scene (headsmashing with a bloodcloud, etc) was somewhere between 99-100% accurate to the books.

I'm not a book reader, so I don't know this and I don't really see how it's relevant. Having to imagine it in your head is a world different from having to see it on screen.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

But he wasn't dead at all to begin with. It's why Oberyn was yelling things at him, and why he was being stupid for not stabbing him in the head instead.

EDIT: Referring to Vehementi's post

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

BubbleGoose posted:

As for Roz, if they killed her character after her 'no more boobs' complaint, that would be really hosed up.

Those boobs of hers are the only reason she wasn't just a extra in Winterfell after episode one, and I miss them more and more every episode :qq:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

teagone posted:

I wiki'd the aftermath of this fight because I couldn't help myself. :smug:

Same, I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't get some resolution from that. I'm still numb from it though.

Those screams were horrifying and the worst part is I know that scene is gonna get posted on the internet a thousand times over in the next year, I'm not gonna be able to avoid it.

:psyboom:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hallik posted:

She doesn't have any allegiance to him. That scene in her bedroom or w/e made it seem like she thinks she has the upper hand on Littlefinger because she thinks his wanting to bone her is his like, weakness. In all of her scenes you can tell she thinks she knows how to play the game now, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna turn out well for her.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I wanted to echo what others were saying about feeling ill after the death scene. I almost don't feel like going to bed now after that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Or you could just quit the thread. That would work out better for everyone. There's no need to get pissy just because people voice criticisms of the show. The show doesn't do everything perfectly and people have different reactions to what they see. Jesus, folks.

No it's really just that every time something bad happens in the show everyone is up in arms that something bad happened. I disagree with the criticism but it's mostly how loving upset everyone seems to be like this wasn't a pretty obvious outcome.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Vehementi posted:

No like if The Mountain had just unceremoniously chopped off both of Oberyn's legs mid air while he was dancing around and then crushed his eyes like that, it would have been fine. But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEAD, GET IT? HAHAHA!". That aspect of it ruined the episode for me. I'm surprised they didn't cut to yackity sax with a 30 second head punching scene.
Well the Mountain was pretty solidly speared to the ground. Besides, it was Ellaria fault who distracted him. :smuggo:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hallik posted:

Long Tall Sally, she built sweet, she got everything, that Uncle Petyr need.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

She doesn't have any allegiance to him. That scene in her bedroom or w/e made it seem like she thinks she has the upper hand on Littlefinger because she thinks his wanting to bone her is his like, weakness. In all of her scenes you can tell she thinks she knows how to play the game now, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna turn out well for her.

I don't know, I took away from that scene in the bedroom that she at least realizes she has more to learn, but is starting to get the hang of it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Vehementi posted:

No like if The Mountain had just unceremoniously chopped off both of Oberyn's legs mid air while he was dancing around and then crushed his eyes like that, it would have been fine. But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEAD, GET IT? HAHAHA!". That aspect of it ruined the episode for me. I'm surprised they didn't cut to yackity sax with a 30 second head punching scene.

I think you need to watch that scene again because you clearly missed most of it. Oberyn himself even say he's not dead.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
The minute Oberyn talked about justice in the last episode, you should've known his time was up. GRRM's driven home the point enough times that an obsession with honor and justice will get you killed in the game of thrones.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oberyn has been defined by his handsomeness, charm, sensuality, and pride since he showed up. He's the Fonz of King's Landing. I dunno how you can't see the poetic purpose to having somebody knock out his teeth and smash his head like a grape.

I can understand thinking the way it was shot goes a little too far, but it's definitely a poetic death.

Oberyn is all those things, but the most important thing I took away from him was his love for his sister and how badly he wanted to avenge her. So, no, I really don't see how the way he died stood out as a comment on his character.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

quote:

I think you need to watch that scene again because you clearly missed most of it. Oberyn himself even say he's not dead.

Roman Reigns posted:

But he wasn't dead at all to begin with. It's why Oberyn was yelling things at him, and why he was being stupid for not stabbing him in the head instead.

EDIT: Referring to Vehementi's post

Yeah no poo poo, as I said in the first post you quoted. It's the same trope - you think he's incapacitated for obvious reasons, but he's actually at full strength for made up reasons (being a monstrously strong or large person has no bearing on that, as the show has shown us so many times etc.) and completely defeats the guy and you sit there with a lol, okay dude. look on your face.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

hallik posted:

It's showing the shift in her character. She looked different, she walked different, she acted different. She looked a little like her mom, too.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Is the Vale guy in the armour at the start of the clip related to Braidbeard, the Winterfell guy who had his head chopped off (eventually) by Theon Reek?

Because drat they look similar.

Also did anyone else notice Oberyn's squire wiping down his spear with something?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Is Littlefinger banging Sansa?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He wanted to win pretty. No such thing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Behind on the scenes on the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wasxw0n0MNI

Interesting they used Wushu for Oberyn's fighting style.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

No it's really just that every time something bad happens in the show everyone is up in arms that something bad happened. I disagree with the criticism but it's mostly how loving upset everyone seems to be like this wasn't a pretty obvious outcome.

Of course people are going to react when a favorite character dies. And then it peters out. No one, from what I've seen, is moaning about Ned's death or Robb's anymore. Let people have their moment to react and show a little patience to let it ride out.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

he was being a cocky, pompous motherfucker against arguably the strongest person (besides him) in westeros. he is a cocky, pompous motherfucker.

he died like he should have. he didnt deserve an honorable death. :)

hes still my fave character.

My bet is that he just got drop dead drunk. This is actually an advertisement for MADD. Don't drink and fight a 6'9" man with a great sword the size of Cersei Lannister.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vehementi posted:

Yeah no poo poo, as I said in the first post you quoted. It's the same trope - you think he's incapacitated for obvious reasons, but he's actually at full strength for made up reasons (being a monstrously strong or large person has no bearing on that, as the show has shown us so many times etc.) and completely defeats the guy and you sit there with a lol, okay dude. look on your face.

Eh, I don't think it's quite as you're describing. It's not like he just didn't sell any of those wounds, Oberyn just didn't go in for a killing blow when he should have. I doubt The Mountain would have been able to jump right back into the fight.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
Well that was certainly a way to end a fight... :psypop:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Of course people are going to react when a favorite character dies. And then it peters out. No one, from what I've seen, is moaning about Ned's death or Robb's anymore. Let people have their moment to react and show a little patience to let it ride out.

To be fair, no one's favorite character was Robb.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So the Mountain is supposed to be the baddest man in the Seven Kingdoms, universally feared by all men, including Jaime Lannister who was supposedly the best swordsman in the land? And he was not only handily beat, but showboated on, by Oberyn?

Of course he had to die. He was too much of a badass.

Thinking back on it if he had lived I would have been pissed.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

To be fair, no one's favorite character was Robb.

This made me chortle a little too hard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Waffles Inc. posted:

i don't read this thread every episode so maybe it's like ~a thing~ but the oogling and posting about characters being naked is pretty bad forreal like on top of all the plot and poo poo why is that the thing people post about i dunno

I agree. In a show with gratuitous, titilating nudity and sex how dare people find that content gratuitously titilating? :iiam:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vehementi posted:

He's not at full strength. Just enough to use his arms and roll around and talk.

Also he's the fuckin Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

vanbags posted:

So the Mountain is supposed to be the baddest man in the Seven Kingdoms, universally feared by all men, including Jaime Lannister who was supposedly the best swordsman in the land? And he was not only handily beat, but showboated on, by Oberyn?

Oberyn was also known to be a huge badass, though. Honestly, the fight was basically main event caliber between two pros, not some David vs Goliath mismatch.

• Locked thread