Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zyuranger is absolutely fine about having kids unless you're the kind of person who gets terribly upset that there are children in your children's television show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Zyuranger is absolutely fine about having kids unless you're the kind of person who gets terribly upset that there are children in your children's television show.

Kids are terrible regardless, no one wanted the stupid kid in Star Wars and that was kidified.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kids in 90s toku hang around to wear those stupid shorts japanese kids wear and scream TASUKETE, TASUKETE!!

Zyuranger's loving crazy though so it's still very much worth watching.

edit: Also I'm hearing ToQGer picked up a bit? Is it worth catching up on?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Rei_ posted:

edit: Also I'm hearing ToQGer picked up a bit? Is it worth catching up on?

It's had some pretty good episodes lately, and I enjoyed catching up. I can't say for sure if it'll keep on the upswing, but I would say it's at least worth it right now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The kids in Zyuranger weren't that bad outside of the first fifteen, twenty episodes (and even then a lot of the episodes didn't have kids in them so it didn't matter) but it never got less creepy seeing the Zyurangers hang around with and know by name all of the kids in the city.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I thought that was cool. Its the only series i've seen where they're actually treated like heroes that slay giant monsters every day. Makes sense they'd be well known and loved by the kids.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RBX posted:

I thought that was cool. Its the only series i've seen where they're actually treated like heroes that slay giant monsters every day. Makes sense they'd be well known and loved by the kids.

I'm fine with the kids knowing them, what I meant was that they knew each individual kid. "Hi Satoshi, are you okay?" and such.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm fine with the kids knowing them, what I meant was that they knew each individual kid. "Hi Satoshi, are you okay?" and such.

Lots of the probably live in the apartment building that Barza manages, given that it's the entrance to their base and all.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Given that only those with imagination can see the ToQger train, how does the city react after there has been a robot battle? Is that the only time the city seems the train? Or do people just see random buildings collapse?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's probably like a Stand battle, anyone with no imagination just sees things getting destroyed on their own (including the giant monster of the week and the Blackliners), which is probably really weird but...I'm guessing by this point Japan is accustomed, this is the 38th time this poo poo is happening, after all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I like to pretend that Sentai has decent actors but child actors are universally awful enough to break the language barrier.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's probably like a Stand battle, anyone with no imagination just sees things getting destroyed on their own (including the giant monster of the week and the Blackliners), which is probably really weird but...I'm guessing by this point Japan is accustomed, this is the 38th time this poo poo is happening, after all.
:eng101: Each Sentai takes place in its own individual universe. Gokaiger's universe is special in that this isn't true. Team ups are non-canon, except when they involve the Gokaigers, in which case they're canon to the Gokaiger universe.

What I'm saying is that the Gokaiger universe is both the best and the worst possible universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be a trick question coming from me, but do you know which Sentai handled kids the best?

Bioman.

It's also the best Sentai but that's neither here nor there.

I can think of, like, one child important episode where a singular child got more than, like, two minutes of screen time, and that was the episode where it looked like Blue Three killed his dad.

Oh and that other episode about the psychic girl. Both times the kids were used sparingly to not interrupt the episode, and they had decent actors.

Because otherwise why would a child NEED to be in Bioman? And I am building to something here it's not just random Bioman praising. See here's the problem I think a lot of us have with kids in Toku-most of the time it MAKES NO SENSE. They're just shoved into the story, a load on everyone and everything that can slow down an episode or divert attention from what you actually care about.

Bioman is the story of five super heroes trying to stop an evil techno empire from wiping out humanity and taking over the world. At no point do children play a part, beyond the deeper than surface level character stuff for two separate characters, Peebo and Doctor Man. And even then, those aren't children of the week plots.

Kamen Rider Black, similarly, is about a man, turned into a cyborg, fighting an evil cult to try and save his brother. Children REALLY do not matter in this setting and none of the characters have ties to children, except in a weird way Gorgom itself, so any episode that has a child take up a fair bit of screen time has to go out of its way to do so.

On the flip side, you have Zyuranger and Kamen Rider Amazon. Zyuranger's entire plot is about Bandora and her issue with kids and why she has that issue and how the heroes protect children from her. That's the entire point of the show. Kamen Rider Amazon has a child as one of the major characters who befriends Amazon and is his tentative guide to civilized Japan.

Basically I guess what my point is, I don't mind children in my children shows. But if they have no place in the story, and they're done poorly for one reason or another like what happened with Black more than a few times, then I do have reason to complain.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also those tiny square backpacks and the hats that don't quite fit right

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
The thing that most bothers me in Black is the disturbing amount of parents who are completely alright with their children spending days on end hanging out with this complete stranger who just happened to be driving a bike around the block.

Rei_ posted:

Also those tiny square backpacks and the hats that don't quite fit right
tasukete
tasukete
tasukete

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, Shield Ressha. Has that even been used outside of the first three/four episodes?

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Everyone's watching this season's Garo, right? Because you really should be watching this season's Garo.

Last episode was one of the most legitimately creepy and unsettling things I've ever seen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find it interesting that ToQ-6 showed up in the movie trailer at the end of this week's episode....before his debut in the show itself.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I've finished watching all 51 episodes of Bioman. It's a wonderful show, but I don't need to tell you that because we already have someone who does an excellent job praising it. I'll just mention some things that drew my attention throughout the series:

First off, criticism. The protagonists are very poorly developed as characters and the giant robot fight scenes are lame and boring.

Now. The mook fight scenes are absolutely fantastic. Instead of focusing on showcasing special effects, the scenes are meant to be visually interesting. This means the star of the show is the camera itself. Bioman uses its mook fight scenes to experiment with unusual camera angles, synchronized action, cameraman movement, and panning landscape shots with the characters fighting at interesting spots in the landscape. These scenes are a delight to watch and become most of the time the highlight of each episode.
The stuntmen are also more than willing to throw themselves spine-first into some very pointy, very jagged rocky terrain. It's wince-worthy.

Bioman is also historically the first super sentai to have two girl members, I think. As such, it focuses a lot on the concept of "girl warriors". We all know this can turn out really badly, but the result in this case are a couple of actually well-executed strong female characters. Bioman is the Girl Power super sentai.

In short, it's an amazing show that is very consistent about every episode being very fun. The plot isn't groundbreaking, but it's a great execution of tried formulas. The ending is very satisfying and is completely worth it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The characters are underdeveloped, but I can't knock the show for that too much. That's pretty much how they worked back in the day. Plus they did have plans to develop Yellow Four with nice character focused episodes and...well you know how that turned out.

I will say that Bioman actually has some of the better giant robot fights of the time. Because that's where the MOTW type creatures resided, they usually gave more focus to those fights than other Sentai, giving them far more purpose, and some of them are pretty badass. Any time Bio Robo breaks his sword or gets his shield destroyed, it's going to be a great fight.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Needs More Jazz posted:

Everyone's watching this season's Garo, right? Because you really should be watching this season's Garo.

Last episode was one of the most legitimately creepy and unsettling things I've ever seen.
I was put off by 'The Knight Who Shines in the Darkness' but so far I've been entertaining by this new season. Regarding the last episode, I couldn't help but be reminded of an earlier episode, which had a somewhat similar premise. That only made the 'twist' more effective.

So far my favorite episode has been the one that was an homage to horror movies.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

The characters are underdeveloped, but I can't knock the show for that too much. That's pretty much how they worked back in the day. Plus they did have plans to develop Yellow Four with nice character focused episodes and...well you know how that turned out.

I will say that Bioman actually has some of the better giant robot fights of the time. Because that's where the MOTW type creatures resided, they usually gave more focus to those fights than other Sentai, giving them far more purpose, and some of them are pretty badass. Any time Bio Robo breaks his sword or gets his shield destroyed, it's going to be a great fight.

I can't say I'm a big fan of super sentai giant robot fights in general, though kid-me remembers them getting somewhat better after whatever sentai it was that produced Power Rangers in Space. Though I don't doubt Bioman's were good for the time.

Does anyone have an opinion about Maskman? I was interested in trying it and seeing if it's any good.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cyphoderus posted:

I can't say I'm a big fan of super sentai giant robot fights in general, though kid-me remembers them getting somewhat better after whatever sentai it was that produced Power Rangers in Space. Though I don't doubt Bioman's were good for the time.

Does anyone have an opinion about Maskman? I was interested in trying it and seeing if it's any good.

Maskman is great but has a lot of filler, like most series from the time. I love it though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

Maskman is pretty good. They have my favorite Sentai team design, though the villains aren't anything too special the MOTW look nice and awesome. Pink Ranger gets a badass episode to herself where she takes on the MOTW alone and wins.

Just word of warning-the first episode is really terrible. If you don't pay attention to the opening theme song you likely won't realize who the other Maskmen even ARE as none of them, NONE of them, get names until the second episode except Red, and they only ever appear unmorphed twice. I honestly, legit did not realize who they were to begin with so I was suddenly thrust into a Ranger battle with a bunch of people I did not know.

The next two episodes are a more proper introduction to the series though. It's got a martial arts theme, so if you want that, go for it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

One of the best episodes of Gaoranger is almost entirely giant robot fights. What makes it amazing is that its the robots fighting each other, something I'm shocked doesn't get done more often in Sentai. That would have made a great episode of Kyoryuger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
How the hell are you nerds not talking about Kiwami Arms

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Twistys Rapture posted:

Cuz there's a Gaim thread. :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

We talked about it already. Is there something more you wanted to add?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Let's never make a seperate thread again.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I liked how Maiki follows Bizarro logic.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RBX posted:

Agreed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

But that'd give Twisty one less to bitch about!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why would you do this

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twistys Rapture posted:

Why would you do this

I wanted to post a thread to discuss Gaim in particular and I thought it would be popular enough on its own to justify a thread for it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jonjonaug posted:

I wanted to post a thread to discuss Gaim in particular and I thought it would be popular enough on its own to justify a thread for it.

And, given the number of pages it's run, you were right.

Megathreads are kind of stupid guys, stop lusting for them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Plus it gives me more space to talk about whatever toku I'm managing to watch with the current chatter squirreled away to its own thread.

I need to get back to watching Agito...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I forget it exists sometimes. :(

Also the two part structure of Kugga is starting to irritate me. The only other full rider show I've seen is W so sucks to be me going forward.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If nothing else it helped keep me relatively spoiler free, having skipped it. I remember being very much so annoyed by the idea of the Gaim thread and, if I had been following both probably still would be annoyed. Gaim is probably a special case because it is so good, apparently, but what happens in seasons that turn out to be disappointments?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

If nothing else it helped keep me relatively spoiler free, having skipped it. I remember being very much so annoyed by the idea of the Gaim thread and, if I had been following both probably still would be annoyed. Gaim is probably a special case because it is so good, apparently, but what happens in seasons that turn out to be disappointments?

Then the same thing that happens here would happen there. Long paragraphs detailing how terrible the show is.
And it'd probably happen here, too, to be quite honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish I paid more attention to the thread when Wizard was on.

I just aggressively, utterly, do not care about Wizard. I watched the first episode and saw absolutely NOTHING there for me, a void of entertainment or substance. The only hate I have is that the drat belt and the way he spammed it in the first episode gave me a headache.

Agito is a kind of paradox for me. It's got a really interesting plot that keeps me wanting to watch more, but it's also SO BORING and SO SLOW. Entire episodes could just be people talking! And then a two minute fight scene at the very end because they forgot to pace. But I'm watching it back to back with Maskman so I fill my mindless action quota nicely.

And just because I haven't said it in a while- gently caress Jetman. gently caress it hardcore.

• Locked thread