Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

I am wondering if I should get a different type of cracker for my sardines. Currently all I possess is Ritz Whole Wheat, but I was wondering if I should go with basic Saltine or something fancier.

I use King Oscar in olive oil with some hot sauce currently.

I eat them on Triscuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LEGO Genetics posted:

I am wondering if I should get a different type of cracker for my sardines. Currently all I possess is Ritz Whole Wheat, but I was wondering if I should go with basic Saltine or something fancier.

I use King Oscar in olive oil with some hot sauce currently.

Saltines are an awesome sardine delivery device. I am a "sardines on a cracker" type dude. The fanciest I get is spreading mashed avocado on a Triscuit, plopping a sardine on top, then finishing with hot sauce on top.

But usually I just do this recipe:

10) Open sardine can
20) Get saltine crackers out of the pantry
30) Get hot sauce out of the refrigerator
40) Put sardine on cracker, douse with hot sauce.
50) GOTO 40

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I like RyKrisps because they seem to soak up the oil and hot sauce nicely.

Also, I am old and 2 of these crackers have 12% of your daily fiber.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Saltines are an awesome sardine delivery device. I am a "sardines on a cracker" type dude. The fanciest I get is spreading mashed avocado on a Triscuit, plopping a sardine on top, then finishing with hot sauce on top.

But usually I just do this recipe:

10) Open sardine can
20) Get saltine crackers out of the pantry
30) Get hot sauce out of the refrigerator
40) Put sardine on cracker, douse with hot sauce.
50) GOTO 40

FORTRAN is the daddest of programming languages.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What's a good veggie, fruit, or nut accompaniment to sardines and crackers? Something portable, can be stored flat, and doesn't require refrigeration? I'm thinking some dried apricots, maybe dates. Trail mix, I guess. Packing a small lunch for tomorrow.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I really don't see dried fruits working with sardines. That said, dried apricots aren't crazy strong in flavor so they're probably your best bet.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

What's a good veggie, fruit, or nut accompaniment to sardines and crackers? Something portable, can be stored flat, and doesn't require refrigeration? I'm thinking some dried apricots, maybe dates. Trail mix, I guess. Packing a small lunch for tomorrow.

This stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_sh%C5%8Dga

and cucumbers would be pretty rockin'

The beni shoga is surprisingly versatile, goes great on hot dogs too for the summer dad months

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sizone posted:

This stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_sh%C5%8Dga

and cucumbers would be pretty rockin'

The beni shoga is surprisingly versatile, goes great on hot dogs too for the summer dad months

It's called pickled ginger. Stop being a weeabo.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 31, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hobohemian posted:

It's called pickled ginger. Stop being a weeabo.

pickled ginger comes in many different types. specifically, I mean julienned, salty pickled ginger. I mean beni shoga.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like finely chopped red onions and habanero with my 'dines. I tried making a relish of it with red wine vinegar and dill but IMO that was gross.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
So thanks to this thread I bought a couple tins of sprats at Costplus. One with tomatoes and one in oil. I think they're both imported from Lativa or something, at $2 a tin in wasn't too expensive imo. I don't know if sprats are the same fish as sardines butthe ones in tomato is pretty good. Definitely needs toast or a cracker tho

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Largely due to this thread making me try and enjoy sardines I just went and ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDM5HZS/
Maybe a slight risk, given that I haven't actually tried them, but it seems like a decent deal, and if the pepper is too strong I can make some sardine spaghetti.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Lhet posted:

Largely due to this thread making me try and enjoy sardines I just went and ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDM5HZS/
Maybe a slight risk, given that I haven't actually tried them, but it seems like a decent deal, and if the pepper is too strong I can make some sardine spaghetti.

I like the flavor of these but they are kind of a pain to eat unless you enjoy crunching on whole peppercorns.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
tonight's midnight snack consists of

1 can lightly smoked trader joes sardines in olive oil
1 anchovy
some mustard
some hot sauce
chopped clove garlic
chopped 1/2 shallot
1 tbsp romano/parmesan

eaten atop sourdough

kind of a mess but whatever it's good

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
The Limeys decided that 'dines are best when lulzy so they bake them in pies. From the Brit Food thread:

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Thank you Sardine thread for rekindling my love of cheap meats. I've just overpaid for a pack of these:

Which are properly a fish stock base, but best eaten as a snack food directly from the bag. I haven't had them in 15 years and long to crunch into some dried baby sardines while their white eyes stare back at me in terror.

Also, which chains in Canada stock King Oscar and small sprat-style tinned fish? I need a change from Brunswick, Grace and AA-1 brand.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Thank you Sardine thread for rekindling my love of cheap meats. I've just overpaid for a pack of these:

Which are properly a fish stock base, but best eaten as a snack food directly from the bag. I haven't had them in 15 years and long to crunch into some dried baby sardines while their white eyes stare back at me in terror.

Also, which chains in Canada stock King Oscar and small sprat-style tinned fish? I need a change from Brunswick, Grace and AA-1 brand.

Be careful with those. I was happily nomming down on some bagged fish one night and found a small shard of metal in one of them. It ripped my gum open which later got infected.

I know those are Japanese, but Korean dried fishy snax are not always the safest... :ohdear:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

Be careful with those. I was happily nomming down on some bagged fish one night and found a small shard of metal in one of them. It ripped my gum open which later got infected.

I know those are Japanese, but Korean dried fishy snax are not always the safest... :ohdear:

Dried cuttlefish/squid supremacy. For life.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Sardines are gods gift to humanity and king oscar brand is amazing. Especially the olive oil kind. I just eat that stuff out of a can although i think ill go back to crackers and hot sauce when i stop being lazy. When i did do hot sauce it was saltines and hoy phoung foods garlic chili sauce. Twas heaven.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What do you think of crab sticks thread?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

simosimo posted:

What do you think of crab sticks thread?

I haven't had them in years but I remember liking them.

Just had canned mackerel on crackerbread for lunch. Delightful, will definitely get that again.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

psyopmonkey posted:

Thats a brand Im just not a fan of. I cant deal with the smell or the extra fishy flavor. Sardines from Morocco or get out.

Really disappointed in you son. This is not the caliber of behavior I expected from you.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

aren't these actually anchovies? they look just like dilis, which are filipino dry crunchy anchovies.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

a hole-y ghost posted:

aren't these actually anchovies? they look just like dilis, which are filipino dry crunchy anchovies.

Wikipedia says that they are often labeled as anchovies through translation. I've seen packages of the same fish with either name in english on the label. Personally, I doubt they'll be either and are just hoping they aren't a packet full of those fish that eat dead skin off people's feet as a novelty pedicure.

But even if they are, gently caress it. Those things are delicious.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
For dinner the other day I made whole grain rusk biscuits topped with a heaping of guacamole, sardines, pan fried onion, mustard, lemon juice and fresh herbs.

It was a good day. Could probably eat this every day for weeks on end.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
I just had some Trader Joe's sardines the other day and I will confirm that they're very mild and don't even smell as strong as a can of tuna. I ate them and their little crunchy bones with water crackers and dijon mustard. I'm going to go throw away my skinny jeans and buy a lawnmower now.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Slapdash posted:

skinny jeans

you will never be one of us

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Slapdash posted:

I'm going to go throw away my skinny jeans and buy a lawnmower now.

My lawn mower poo poo the bed so I was in need of a weed whacker to keep things looking respectable. Well, I have some sardine buddies at my neighborhood bar and the other day I got a can of dollar store sardines from one old dude and another older guy who lives in the area brought in his extra weed whacker to give me.

I can't give fashion tips but here's me and my Dad on a fishing trip and he's wearing pretty good Dad jeans. They might come back.

Edit: Lemon flavor Belas are good but the lemon flavor is quite strong.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2014

meastwoo
Jan 11, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

I like the flavor of these but they are kind of a pain to eat unless you enjoy crunching on whole peppercorns.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rolled the dice and picked up Chicken of the Sea Brislings, "made in Scotland." They were a buck fifty on sale. Colorful package, I'm thinking maybe they're the good ones in the series, worth trying out.

Two rows, packed in olive oil. Skin-on, tails on, spines ripped out. They were not very impressive on their own, but with some dijon mustard on toast with avocado, they livened up quite a bit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Withdrawal Plans posted:

My lawn mower poo poo the bed so I was in need of a weed whacker to keep things looking respectable. Well, I have some sardine buddies at my neighborhood bar and the other day I got a can of dollar store sardines from one old dude and another older guy who lives in the area brought in his extra weed whacker to give me.

I can't give fashion tips but here's me and my Dad on a fishing trip and he's wearing pretty good Dad jeans. They might come back.

Edit: Lemon flavor Belas are good but the lemon flavor is quite strong.

That's a hell of a dad right there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks to this thread, I'll be giving this a try eventually. :v:

Probably the wrong type of crackers but eh, I was in a hurry.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TheManWithNoName posted:

How fortunate for me. I do. :c00l:

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
We need a Dad thread tag with a picture of a sardine on it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

David Copperfield posted:

We need a Dad thread tag with a picture of a sardine on it

those who have become one with the dadness need no advertising, in fact we'd like it better if they just left us alone

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

In the quaint little northern Chicago suburb of Niles there lies the Fresh Farms International Market. This place is pretty much a canned fish Mecca. They probably stock 50+ different varieties of small canned fish, not counting salmon/mackerel/tuna/etc.

Those big round tins in the upper right (Riga Gold) are 8.5oz each: 900 calories and almost 50g protein for less than $3. Can't wait to crack one open tomorrow.

I had one of the Old Riga tins on the right, and at 7 ounces I still had to split it between two salads. I just wished more little fishies were offered in olive oil: these Latvian ones are in soybean oil. :(

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
I just want to say thanks to the poster who suggested combining cream cheese with sardines. Saltines topped with half a King Oscar, a little cream cheese, some pickled jalapeno, and a squirt of lime is a mouthful of delicious.

I think it's going to become my regular Saturday lunch, as long as I don't have to breathe on anybody that day.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hey sardine thread help me make a decision. If i take sardine oil, cook shallots and garlic in it, then add pasta sardines and pesto will that work or will the pesto not work with this?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Veskit posted:

Hey sardine thread help me make a decision. If i take sardine oil, cook shallots and garlic in it, then add pasta sardines and pesto will that work or will the pesto not work with this?

WWDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Keep It Simple, Son

• Locked thread