Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

Vehementi posted:

??? Go watch it, he gets up, he's kneeling over Oberyn. Upon rewatch he actually lifts Oberyn's entire body over him and to the other side, with one arm, then fully gets up onto his knees and speaks a few sentences with a popped lung and a giant hole in his chest.

But yeah. Wizards and dragons. Makes it all really believable and well written :allears:

We get it, you think the writing is terrible and the episode let you down. Now please do the rest of us who are able to actually enjoy things a favor and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

It makes more sense in ~THE BOOK~ because Gregor is inhumanly strong, he wears a full suit of armor that's so heavy no other man could move in it let alone fight in it. (Not actually wearing it in the episode)

Due to how badly they mangled his character I can see someone having a problem with that one specific part.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Vehementi posted:

??? Go watch it, he gets up, he's kneeling over Oberyn. Upon rewatch he actually lifts Oberyn's entire body over him and to the other side, with one arm, then fully gets up onto his knees and speaks a few sentences with a popped lung and a giant hole in his chest.

But yeah. Wizards and dragons. Makes it all really believable and well written :allears:

Just pretend he got stabbed in the gut or something, which would make it agonizingly painful to do but possible with adrenaline. Problem solved.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hahaha, holy gently caress.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Bug Bill Murray posted:

ha, I was not expecting that. This show is dope.

Isn't the very first scene of the show Ned Stark beheading some mook?
The great thing about this show is that I don't think there's many "throw away scenes" at all. That "mook" was the guy who abandoned his post in the prologue on the very first episode when they first encounter White Walkers. Even during his execution all he could do was mumble about what happened. His brain was just shattered.

Vehementi posted:

^ That's ok, they have license to make it not terrible.

No like if The Mountain had just unceremoniously chopped off both of Oberyn's legs mid air while he was dancing around and then crushed his eyes like that, it would have been fine. But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEADINCAPACITATED, GET IT? HAHAHA!". (edit for confused people) That aspect of it ruined the episode for me. I'm surprised they didn't cut to yackity sax with a 30 second head punching scene.

If they did indeed stick to the books on this, then they didn't choose it, that's just what happened. And it makes perfect sense if you see that Oberyn wasn't gloating over the enemy - he legitimately needed a confession. It overrode everything else in his brain, including that little voice telling him to be cautious. He knew The Mountain was still alive, he just completely lost it when he realized The Mountain may die without confessing, and at the same time incriminating Tywin.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I agree that the ending fight was actually kind of a let down. For how neat the individual actors fighting choreography was, the fight itself felt pretty lame. It's been talked a lot, but I'm also annoyed at the "stabbed a foot deep in the torso, spring up and murder" bullshit. I thought the rest of the episode was amazing, albeit a bit slowly paced in some parts, but the ending was pretty weak.

Dapper Dan posted:

Just pretend he got stabbed in the gut or something, which would make it agonizingly painful to do but possible with adrenaline. Problem solved.

I'm not doctor but it seems like having abdominal muscles ripped apart by a foot deep spear stab would hinder core movements somewhat.

Did they ever answer if the unsullied have the stones and the pillar removed, or just the stones? Here's hoping greyworm gets a girlfriend :3:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, it's not a lot if you write it out, yet he does have a reputation for killing good characters.

Which means, for me, I expect good characters to die and I'm not shocked or moved when he does it, anymore. The reaction is more of a sigh and "what now?" kind of thing.

I mean, it's clearly meant to be a subversion - Oberyn was built up this entire season, for that fight. He was winning the fight. Vast majority of media would have him heroically win. So of course GRRM kills him. I'm not saying that sarcastically, all the build up and hype meant I knew Oberyn was going to lose, and expected him to die, because GRRM is predictable now.

By trying so hard to subvert expectations, eventually that means he meets expectations. This really isn't a show as clever as I thought at first, where anything can happen who knows? It's just a show where GRRM does the opposite of what the average show would do.

Having read most of the books, And regardless of whether I have or haven't, I totally feel your pain.

Also, wtf? Ned and Oberyn only? It is a hell of a lot more. The show and books can wear a person down with sudden deaths of all kinds of protagonists. Sometimes how deliberate it seems feels like it doesn't change anything at all, it just feels very reactionary.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MadSparkle posted:

Having read most of the books, And regardless of whether I have or haven't, I totally feel your pain.

Also, wtf? Ned and Oberyn only? It is a hell of a lot more. The show and books can wear a person down with sudden deaths of all kinds of protagonists. Sometimes how deliberate it seems feels like it doesn't change anything at all, it just feels very reactionary.

Agreed, most shows have it so the good hero always wins, but now we've gone completely in the opposite direction. When was the last time a hyped fight had the good guys win? The mercenary who threw the knife in the horses eye?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Wow, I've never actually been physically ill after watching this show until now.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

blackmanjew posted:

Wow, I've never actually been physically ill after watching this show until now.

This is literally exactly the same boat I'm in. Even the red wedding didn't have this effect on me. The whole scene was just gut wrenching.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Wow. Absolutely brutal. I knew something bad was gonna happen when Oberyn started baiting the downed Mountain, but jesus. The funny thing though is that when the Mountain went for the eyes, all I could think was, "Hannibal beat you to it."

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I'm seeing a lot of "don't give a poo poo about anyone, because they'll just die". Is it that hard to like and root for a fictional character without being devastated when they die? I can manage it and I don't think I'm that tough.

Also, vengeance isn't really looking like much smarter of a motivation than justice, at this point.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The thing about the Mountain is, the dude does not work by our standards. It's been brought up a hundred times before, but he is less a man and more a force, unleashed upon whomever has the least luck that day. No, he may not be a dragon or a wizard but he's just as supernatural as either of them. He is the avatar of Lannister might, power and will given form.

So I guess that's why I just don't give a gently caress about the implausibility of the ending. I'd offer that going all Gallagher on a dude's entire loving skull with his bare loving hands is as nuts as him being able to move after all of that, but people seem to buy the second thing just fine.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Wow. Absolutely brutal. I knew something bad was gonna happen when Oberyn started baiting the downed Mountain, but jesus. The funny thing though is that when the Mountain went for the eyes, all I could think was, "Hannibal beat you to it."

Hahaha, I totally thought the same thing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Really, the series isn't supposed to be about overblown Tonight Someone Dies!!! stuff, it's just intended to be a (relatively) realistic and unforgiving world, so yes, people die because no one in real life rides in on a white horse to save the day. You could argue that the sensational watch your favorites die thing how it's perceived among most people and maybe that's rubbed off on GRRM, but the majority of big characters who have died did so for real reasons.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Eh I think the result of the fight is pretty drat predictable partly because of the writing and partly thanks to the TV production. The way I saw it, they wouldn't have bothered making so much noise about the Mountain's new casting if he was destined to just die after two scenes and the fight happening at the very end of the episode was a dead giveaway that it would be a shocking finale of sorts.

It WAS tense but I guess in the grand scheme of things the ol' TV magic kind of fell flat on this one.

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Agreed, most shows have it so the good hero always wins, but now we've gone completely in the opposite direction. When was the last time a hyped fight had the good guys win? The mercenary who threw the knife in the horses eye?

The whole deal at Crastor's Keep worked out pretty well for the good guys considering their only casualties were a couple of mooks and a bad guy in disguise.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GCValentine posted:

The whole deal at Crastor's Keep worked out pretty well for the good guys considering their only casualties were a couple of mooks and a bad guy in disguise.

But not for Hordor's innocence. :smith:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blackmanjew posted:

I'm used to blood and gore, but the end of this episode was pretty much out of a horror movie. That probably affected me more than Oberyn's death because I wasn't expecting the sheer amount of gore. Not the eye gouging, but the skull exploding.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I agree that the ending fight was actually kind of a let down. For how neat the individual actors fighting choreography was, the fight itself felt pretty lame. It's been talked a lot, but I'm also annoyed at the "stabbed a foot deep in the torso, spring up and murder" bullshit. I thought the rest of the episode was amazing, albeit a bit slowly paced in some parts, but the ending was pretty weak.

I'm not doctor but it seems like having abdominal muscles ripped apart by a foot deep spear stab would hinder core movements somewhat.

Did they ever answer if the unsullied have the stones and the pillar removed, or just the stones? Here's hoping greyworm gets a girlfriend :3:

I just find the entire argument ridiculous either way. If people are arguing realism about 'The Mountain' not being able to lift and punch Oberyn, it takes something in the vicinity of 520 PSI to basically obliterate a human skull like he did, so the whole conversation is loving moot anyway.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

GCValentine posted:

Locke ate it too. And Karl Fookin Legend.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dapper Dan posted:

I just find the entire argument ridiculous either way. If people are arguing realism about 'The Mountain' not being able to lift and punch Oberyn, it takes something in the vicinity of 520 PSI to basically obliterate a human skull like he did, so the whole conversation is loving moot anyway.
More than one thing can be dumb at the same time, and you're making a strawman. At no point did I say "crushing a guys skull otoh makes complete sense and is also a real thing". But ok there's giant and wizards and dragons so I accept that somewhat. I'm more disappointed with the choreography than anything.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Midnight City posted:

It makes more sense in ~THE BOOK~ because Gregor is inhumanly strong, he wears a full suit of armor that's so heavy no other man could move in it let alone fight in it. (Not actually wearing it in the episode)

Due to how badly they mangled his character I can see someone having a problem with that one specific part.
Wait, you think they mangled The Mountain's character? As in, Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane? His character is 'insanely brutal killer who nobody wants to gently caress with.' Maybe 'Tywin's favorite pet monster' if you're feeling generous. I read the books, and I like the TV series a lot but I do not remember what armor the actor was wearing the last time he was onscreen. I'm also not sure why it would make a difference. Every time they mentioned him this season--Bronn, the Hound, Jaime--they also talked him up as this freak-of-nature strongman. How much more emphasis did it need to pass muster?

(Granted, the actual reason they put the actor in lighter armor is probably so that he could move and not die of heatstroke.)

EDIT: Beaten like Oberyn's eye sockets, but I will add one thing. If you think the Mountain was pulling a Mike Myers in that scene, you're making the same error Oberyn did--Clegane is not a stupid man. He did not spontaneously regain consciousness, he was awake the whole time. Waiting. Biding his time until he could bring Oberyn down to his level, and crush him with pure strength. That little speech at the end was not the product of a mind that sees combat as 'swing sword, mans fall down, I love being strong.'

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 2, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But they didn't cast an 8 foot tall guy, his height is an important part of his character :qq:

They made it clear in the TV series that he's inhumanly strong, he swiped off a horse's head with one swing while in another episode showing Theon taking a zillion hacks to decapitate a human.

Also lifting up guys on his sword for fighting practice.

C'mon, it's abundantly clear in the show that he's a freak.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 2, 2014

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Raserys posted:

Really, the series isn't supposed to be about overblown Tonight Someone Dies!!! stuff, it's just intended to be a (relatively) realistic and unforgiving world, so yes, people die because no one in real life rides in on a white horse to save the day. You could argue that the sensational watch your favorites die thing how it's perceived among most people and maybe that's rubbed off on GRRM, but the majority of big characters who have died did so for real reasons.

The majority, yes. But the show is about that majority pretty much, so it is hard to swallow at times. You will naturally empathize with characters you like, good guys or not. The ones who consistently stay alive so far are the ones who stay purely political or refuse to get their hands dirty. Mostly it is a Life Sucks banner stretched out all over everything. All the time. 24 loving 7. So it the frustration is totally understandable.

Ps- the Mountain is just loving dull. He is boring. Sure, it is physically realistic that he might win, but it is dull because he is dull. He has no narrative, nothing, he is just something to push against. I want to say I cannot stand the character, but he's not even a real one, just some idiot threat that keeps showing up as conventient obstructuon.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

More than one thing can be dumb at the same time, and you're making a strawman. At no point did I say "crushing a guys skull otoh makes complete sense and is also a real thing". But ok there's giant and wizards and dragons so I accept that somewhat. I'm more disappointed with the choreography than anything.

True, and we agree anyway. I just find realism arguments silly and pointless in media. They're all works of fiction, so everything is writer/director/actor fiat. Its all about whether or not it makes sense in the world that is constructed and the larger narrative. Not our world, as in the one we occupy.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Wait, you think they mangled The Mountain's character? As in, Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane? His character is 'insanely brutal killer who nobody wants to gently caress with.' Maybe 'Tywin's favorite pet monster' if you're feeling generous. I read the books, and I like the TV series a lot but I do not remember what armor the actor was wearing the last time he was onscreen. I'm also not sure why it would make a difference. Every time they mentioned him this season--Bronn, the Hound, Jaime--they also talked him up as this freak-of-nature strongman. How much more emphasis did it need to pass muster?

(Granted, the actual reason they put the actor in lighter armor is probably so that he could move and not die of heatstroke.)

The mangling his character isn't from anything to do in this episode, I was referring to him going through 3 actors in 4 seasons, being completely missing an entire season, things like that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm surprised they added Moat Caitlin to the intro credits, considering they came and left in a couple of scenes.
But they still won't remake The Eyrie.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

But they didn't cast an 8 foot tall guy, his height is an important part of his character :qq:

They made it clear in the TV series that he's inhumanly strong, he swiped off a horse's head with one swing while in another episode showing Theon taking a zillion hacks to decapitate a human.

Also lifting up guys on his sword for fighting practice.

C'mon, it's abundantly clear in the show that he's a freak.

No, he didn't "swipe a horse's head off" actually, it made it about half way through, so stick to making lovely posts in the Hannibal thread instead of trying to flippantly make lovely posts in this one.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Doctor Reynolds posted:

RIP only cool character left in King's Landing.

No, we get to see Tyrion's head fall off next episode.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Now that I'm over the whole squashed head thing, I think the coolest moment in the show is when Sansa appeared as Maleficent and descended the stairs all wicked like. I hope she doesn't turn into a major baddie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm witnessing a literal magic xylophone argument in person.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My favorite shot in the episode is that right after Oberyn Martell fells Clegane, Jamie is happy that Tyrion is going to live and he turns to the rest of the Royal Party to see that he is the only one smiling. And he enjoys how unhappy everyone else looks. It only holds for a few frames but I love how happy he is for that one brief moment.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

No, he didn't "swipe a horse's head off" actually, it made it about half way through, so stick to making lovely posts in the Hannibal thread instead of trying to flippantly make lovely posts in this one.

Oh that totally ruined his character that they show Gregor Clegane only cutting halfway through a horses's neck like a wimp. What a butchering of his character.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Now that I'm over the whole squashed head thing, I think the coolest moment in the show is when Sansa appeared as Maleficent and descended the stairs all wicked like. I hope she doesn't turn into a major baddie.

Dude that is exactly what I do want. Arya's already accepted that life is some sort of cosmic joke at her expense, I want to see Sansa embrace that the Littlefinger way.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Accretionist posted:

You guys complaining about The Mountain are ridiculous. Any war you could point to contains tons of stories of men with greater injuries performing greater physical feats than that.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I once read about an Indian who made a suicidal charge wherein a grenade blast tore half his face off and set him on fire, and he continued charging while on fire and with a skull face to successfully lob a grenade into an enemy bunker before finally getting shot somewhere that would stop him: his brain. Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

Blowing someone's brains out by just squeezing their head, even if it's through the eye sockets, is just ridiculous and cartoony.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the point of Theon failing to decapitate cleanly was less to imply physical weakness, more to imply lack of skill.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Oh that totally ruined his character that they show Gregor Clegane only cutting halfway through a horses's neck like a wimp. What a butchering of his character.

Show the part where I said his character was mangled from anything to do with his physical acts in the show again. Oh, you can't, because you rushed to post some stupid flippant bullshit that you're known to do no matter how many custom titles or probations you get about it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

BubbleGoose posted:

That dress was great! It's like all these Dany's dragonscale dresses, or Cersei's armour-dress, except Sansa took on an Arryn/Littlefinger identity, with all the feathers.

I love the costumes on this show.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Det_no posted:

Eh I think the result of the fight is pretty drat predictable partly because of the writing and partly thanks to the TV production. The way I saw it, they wouldn't have bothered making so much noise about the Mountain's new casting if he was destined to just die after two scenes and the fight happening at the very end of the episode was a dead giveaway that it would be a shocking finale of sorts.

Boy is your face going to be red

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, the point of Theon failing to decapitate cleanly was less to imply physical weakness, more to imply lack of skill.

Yeah, it was about showing how unfit he was to be lord of anything, much less lord of Winterfell.

He's pretty loving good at being Reek though, maybe Ramsey had the right idea after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ridiculo posted:

Blowing someone's brains out by just squeezing their head, even if it's through the eye sockets, is just ridiculous and cartoony.
This, I'll concede. Based on that passage of the book, I expected the actor to smash Oberyn's head against the ground, or just keep punching until his face collapsed. Can't say it lost any of its impact for me, but I've always been easily skeeved by the injury-to-eye motif.

• Locked thread