Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I don't know why so many are saying moving onto Tokimemo 3 is a mistake. I've only seen one screenshot and some historical context, and already I am fascinated to see where this goes.

Raitzeno posted:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3! Unintended Consequences of Unintended Trolling

I feel like this one is most accurately representative of the thread as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Let's Play Tokimemo Memorial 3 - Why the hell did we all vote to quit playing Tokimemo 2?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - a toxic relationship, sever and seek therapy.

But really, go with one of those alluding to crowdfunding failure.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Wanton Spoon posted:

I don't know why so many are saying moving onto Tokimemo 3 is a mistake. I've only seen one screenshot and some historical context, and already I am fascinated to see where this goes.

Ditto, the small amount of history was actually surprisingly fascinating. Never knew a dating sim would have such a trouble history and be funded via like a proto-Kickstarter.

Riding this train all the way until the inevitable crash. :toot:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It really is, especially considering Suikoden is one of my all-time favorite RPGs so finding out how it was funded was neat (and discovering how it didn't work later on)

CaptainMcSarcasm
Oct 3, 2013
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Wait, Minimum Buy-In Was How Much?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

It really is, especially considering Suikoden is one of my all-time favorite RPGs so finding out how it was funded was neat (and discovering how it didn't work later on)

I've been wondered which Suikoden's were funded. Around that time of Tokimeki Memorial 3 were were the releases of Suikoden III (which is amazing, but suffers near the end from the departure of the main series director) and then The Suikoden We Don't Talk About.

CaptainMcSarcasm posted:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Wait, Minimum Buy-In Was How Much?

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3! - 100,000 Yen Buys You Nothing But Regret.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Let's explore the existential horror of these faces some more:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - And then she unhinges her jaw and swallows a guinea pig
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - They've been sleeping in Tupperware beds
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Come play with us
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - It's actually the face of his dead sister, he has a condition and it's all he can ever see
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - They bleed blue
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Cylons can be moe too
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Pickman's Waifu
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Konami East, Re-animator

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - I Have Nothing Witty to Say About This

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Tokimeki Memorial 3 - We All Literally Asked for This. God Dammit.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Oh I've got one.

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: At least we have Holiday Star.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ChorpSaway posted:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3! - Proof that 2D Girls Are Better

This one, forever.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ChorpSaway posted:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3! - Proof that 2D Girls Are Better

I like this one as well. :)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

GodofDiscord posted:

Oh I've got one.

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: At least we have Holiday Star.

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: Why can't they be birds?

This is a joke.

I have no actual opinion on a new thread title.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3: Dating the uncanny valley

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - It Has To Be This Way.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Oh, Could You Be A Time Fairy?

I can think of far better ones for when we get to Girls' Side, though. (potential spoiler) Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girls' Side: My Principal Can't Be This Cute!

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Because Having Fun Isn't Entertaining
or
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Moe-Blob

Coughman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 1, 2014

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 3 - Can you comprehend the horror?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Tokimeki Memorial 3: First Contact

There were a few thread titles that I liked, so I've made a poll to see what people like (and to see if this is a more efficient process than text voting, even though I like the in-thread lobbying).

Poll 1: What should the Tokimemo 3 thread title be?

e: poll closed! Thread title decided.

Part 1: The box

I don't own Tokimemo 3 for Reasons, but I know several people who lost money on the Tokimemo Fund. One of them was kind enough to lend me his copy of the limited edition, which needs to be seen to be believed.

Included for scale: my keyboard, and a pen. This box is HUGE, which probably served to assuage the fears of the Tokimemo Fund's investors. So obviously, it had just as much as the Tokimemo 2 limited edition did, right?

For reference, the Tokimemo 2 LE came with:

• 5 game CDs
  • A copy of the first Hibikino Watcher
  • (which in turn came with the first EVS disc for Hikari and Kasumi)
  • A 2000 calendar, which will be valid again in 2028 (what value!)
  • A cell phone strap
  • A pink PocketStation

The Tokimeki Memorial 3 LE comes with:

• 1 PS2 game
  • 6 bottle toppers featuring the main 6 girls in the cast
  • A small satchel for holding the bottle you topped with the main 6 girls in the cast
  • A soundtrack
  • A copy of the Moegino Watcher

That's pretty underwhelming for getting a briefcase-sized limited edition. That box was empty air.

Oh well. With that out of the way, let's meet the cast. It is easier to refer to them by their bright hair and eye color than their name, since I don't expect anyone to remember these characters' names anyway.

Part 2: The Cast

Red

The main character of Tokimeki Memorial 3, and the first girl in Tokimemo to break the "main character = childhood friend" mold. Likes baking and listening to people's problems, which makes her very popular in-game, but isn't enough to make her interesting.

Successor to: Shiori and Hikari, I guess (edit: further research says that she is the Second Coming of Yumi. Dear God.)
Club: Baseball, Soccer, or Track
Popularity poll ranking: 7th
Voice: Kanda Akemi (Nanako in Persona 4, Wakaba in Cross Game, Ryou in Clannad)

Green

Red's best friend, a boisterous and motormouthed girl who loves comedy and follows all the latest trends. Dreams of traveling the world, and speaks surprisingly good English.

Successor to: Yuuko, Ayako, and Miyuki
Club: Broadcast club
Popularity poll ranking: 8th
Voice: Kawaguchi Sayako (no roles of note)

Pink

The token nerdy character, who dreams of building her own robot. Seems to have weird habits, that include hating animals and... stalking people?

Successor to: Mio, Yuina, Mei
Club: Science
Popularity poll ranking: 6th
Voice: Hattori Kanako (no roles of note)

Yellow

Real name: Oda Mari (a pun on the semi-polite form of "shut up" in Japanese, odamari "お黙り")

The daughter of a film director and a stage actress, proud and wary of people who only want to talk to her because she's rich and famous. Best friends with Pink, which is a mystery to everyone other than the two of them.

Successor to: Rei, Mei
Club: Drama
Popularity poll ranking: 5th
Voice: Hashimoto Ryouko (no roles of note)

Purple

The traditional Japanese girl, who practices all of the classical arts. She can also break your arm in 6 places without thinking.

Successor to: Yukari, Kotoko
Club: Aikido
Popularity poll ranking: 2nd
Voice: Yasuda Mio (Claire in Tales of Rebirth)

Gray

The mysterious and aloof character, who disappears from time to time for reasons of her own.

Successor to: ???
Club: None
Popularity poll ranking: 3rd
Voice: Minagawa Junko (Cornelia in Code Geass, Ryoma in Prince of Tennis)

Wait, who got 1st and 4th?

The secret characters. This was probably neither anticipated nor welcomed on Konami's part.

Do we get to vote on the secret characters?

Are you sure? You remember what happened last time.

Poll 2: the character poll. You don't have to decide now - I'll try and show you the intro of the game as soon as I can.

e: Poll 3: the run-off poll has begun!

The poll has spoken. Show us the secret characters.

Okay.

Yellow 2

Yes, she really does have the same first name as Bakuretsuzan. No, it's not written the same way. A chronically unlucky working girl who keeps appearing in the background.

Successor to: Maeka, Miyuki
Club: None
Popularity poll ranking: 4th.
Voice: Machii Miki (no roles of note)

Orange?

The girl with the most baggage, and considered the "secret main character" of Tokimeki Memorial 3.

Successor to: Shiori, Kasumi, Kaori
Club: Tennis or student council
Popularity poll ranking: 1st
Voice: Kataoka Chizu (no roles of note)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh gods, they all look so boring! :byodood:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you do a play-through with a normal character and one of the secret characters turns out to be someone interesting you will have to play this a second time. Are you sure?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I know we have a poll up, but I vote for this: Whatever is the most physically painful for you to LP. We may as well get some enjoyment out of this.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Pink looks the most interesting personality-wise, but I gotta vote for the secret characters, especially since they ended up winning the popularity contest.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

Pink looks the most interesting personality-wise, but I gotta vote for the secret characters, especially since they ended up winning the popularity contest.
That was my thinking too. You need a bit of crazy to make things interesting.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I think pink, green and yellow seem interesting enough.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
Pink and Yellow seem the most interesting. Their personalities are about as developed as the characters from the other Tokimemo games at first glance; its just that the developers somehow managed to make the 3D girls look less detailed and more boring than 2D anime girls somehow. But I think everyone is going to vote for the secret characters anyways so really this is only an illusion of choice.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It looks like we're locked in for learning about the secret characters. I do hope that we heed the warnings this time, though. If the secret characters involve reloading a hundred times for an ending that amounts to :thumbsup:, I'd rather we experience this the (horrible) vanilla way.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We haven't done any of the Rei-esque routes yet, so Yellow seems the most interesting out of the vanilla characters. But I see that secret characters are going to win in a landslide so maybe we can squeeze a second painful playthrough out of you. :v:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Eh if the other routes look interesting I'll just do what I did with TokiMemo 2 and get it and play it mysepfffft hahaha

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my God, what have we done? :ohdear:

I'm voting for Gray; that way we can have a character who's both a regular and a semi-secret!

Plus, from what I know about it, her storyline sounds kinda interesting. I'd like to see what they did to ruin it with it.

ETA: Also, earlier in the thread, people were talking about a clothing system, and I don't want to be cheated out of wearing a tuxedo to a beach date.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 2, 2014

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
We're all hoping the secret characters have different faces and will probably be disappointed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Voting Green in the hopes of engrish.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm amazed that it seems like half of the main voice actors are just nobodies.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Grey has different eyes from the rest of them; thus, she gets my vote.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I've updated the intro post with the two secret characters.

In the interests of full disclosure, the two most difficult runs in Tokimemo 3 are Orange? and Purple. This contributed to them making 1 and 2 in the popularity poll.

I'll redo the character poll to include both of the secret characters after I post the first few days of the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So in other words, we can both see a secret character and see the #1 popular one and subject you to one of the most difficult runs?

I'm not sure we'll actually need a poll.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gonna have to go with Purple. Always pick the girl that can break an arm.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I feel really bad forcing you into yet another HARD MODE run, but calling her "The girl with the most baggage" just makes her sounds more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Orange? is tempting, but sheep made it sound like we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we go after one of the secret characters, presumably because "secret" also means their playthrough isn't quite as fully-featured, so to speak, as a proper character's. We already got burned on Maho.

• Locked thread