Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Conspiracy card image gallery is up!

e: or so they say but this isn't updated??? Wizards you are not very good at thing
I understand the heavy security that must go into a web update with this sort of thing - I'm sure they have a webmaster they trust, but they also need to make sure these images aren't anywhere on the server where a "hacker" (someone with a basic understanding of file paths) can find them and post them to MTGSalvation, but... I can't think of a way to say "Oh come on" that doesn't make me feel like it could be misconstrued as impatient or entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I understand the heavy security that must go into a web update with this sort of thing - I'm sure they have a webmaster they trust, but they also need to make sure these images aren't anywhere on the server where a "hacker" (someone with a basic understanding of file paths) can find them and post them to MTGSalvation, but... I can't think of a way to say "Oh come on" that doesn't make me feel like it could be misconstrued as impatient or entitled.

I think "You guys said you would have this done by now" is fine. I mean, it's one thing to demand stuff, another thing to be told what would be delivered and then not have it delivered.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BJPaskoff posted:

Spoiler's up now. Man, now you look like a real jerk.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Conspiracy will have foils right? It's no Saprazzan Vizier but that Brainstorm should look great foiled.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Lotta new cards and reprints that their lack of presence in Vintage Masters is really weird. Also congratulations Japan on your Scaled Wurm reprint.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-zemanjaski-journey-into-nyxborn-of-the-godstheros-draft/

Hi guys, I made a guest appearance on a draft video with my friend James Fazzolari for his series on CFB. While wrestling with some technical issues did lead to an untimely occurrence, hopefully it turned out okay anyway. I'd love it if anyone has any inputs on any aspect of the videos (or if you learnt something, that would be great as well, but I'm not holding my breath)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wake kinda took me offguard, but deed and stifle getting reprinted is really surprising.

Pristine Angel and Phage at mythic is really goofy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stinky Pit posted:

Conspiracy will have foils right? It's no Saprazzan Vizier but that Brainstorm should look great foiled.

I think so. Stifle is reprinted also, I was really surprised at the price on that recently.

My inner 12-year-old self loves the Scaled Wurm reprint. You bet your rear end I had Craw Wurms in my green deck, and I remember flipping my poo poo when Ice Age came out and there was an even bigger one.

The power level of this set is all over the place, isn't it? For some reason I expected a cube-like power level, but there's a lot of bad cards. This is going to be a great draft format though, it's going to feel like playing really bad Commander decks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maybe I'm bad but that doesn't look as fun as I expected.

Modern Masters had instantly recognizable archetypes to build towards and a lot of them were crazy fun. This format looks perfectly reasonable as a limited format except aside for the Multiplayer gimmick there doesn't seem to be much support for anything interesting or unique. Its going to feel a lot like drafting a Core Set, and that's fun and all but hardly interesting for the cool summer product.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

Maybe I'm bad but that doesn't look as fun as I expected.

Modern Masters had instantly recognizable archetypes to build towards and a lot of them were crazy fun. This format looks perfectly reasonable as a limited format but except for the Multiplayer gimmick there doesn't seem to be much support for anything interesting or unique. Its going to feel a lot like drafting a Core Set, and that's fun and all but hardly interesting for the cool summer product.
Two words man:

Bird. Tribal.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Interesting reversal on Phage. Originally, Phage was just a Minion and not a Zombie. This was important, since it was printed in Onslaught block, which had tribal themes and Zombie-matters cards. Sometime after Tenth Edition, it was changed to a Zombie Minion, and it appeared as a Zombie in Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now in Conspiracy, it is an Avatar Minion.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh. Oh my.

Look in the doorway in the background. He's back.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Everblight posted:

Bird. Tribal.

Eh, its more like Blue White fliers since the synergistic cards are Soulcatcher and Favorable Winds. The fact that most of the blue white fliers are birds is neat but I'd want there to be more bird related synergy before I would call it blue tribal.

There are going to be as many Jetting Glasskite, Air Servant, Gargoyles, Faeries, and If you're lucky one of the Angles in that "Bird Tribal" deck.

Nothing wrong with Blue White fliers, I was just hoping for something cooler. Like Dredge in MM, or the Spider Spawning deck from Innistrad, something not typical and super fun.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Return to return to Ravnica.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Pristine Angel and Phage at mythic is really goofy.

Why? Phage seems like the poster child mythic, considering that it has the phrase "that player loses the game" on the card text, and protection from all colors is a pretty mythic ability too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

Nothing wrong with Blue White fliers, I was just hoping for something cooler. Like Dredge in MM, or the Spider Spawning deck from Innistrad, something not typical and super fun.

I think the Conspiracy and Draft-modifying cards are intended to be the weird build around mes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Elyv posted:

Why? Phage seems like the poster child mythic, considering that it has the phrase "that player loses the game" on the card text, and protection from all colors is a pretty mythic ability too.

Hah, gatherer has this in the rules: "In a Commander game where this card is your commander, casting it from the Command zone does not count as casting it from your hand."

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Zorak posted:

I think the Conspiracy and Draft-modifying cards are intended to be the weird build around mes.

Yeah definitely, hopefully that's enough to make it fresh and exciting. I also hope I can convince people just to play swiss instead of 4 man pods.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So how many copies of each card do I need to make a cube of a set that would roughly replicate the distribution you would see in a normal pack? I'm assuming 1 of each mythic and 2 of each rare, but I can't quite figure out uncommon(4?) and common(8?).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Promoted Pawn posted:

So how many copies of each card do I need to make a cube of a set that would roughly replicate the distribution you would see in a normal pack? I'm assuming 1 of each mythic and 2 of each rare, but I can't quite figure out uncommon(4?) and common(8?).

Theros had 101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, and 15 mythics. At one mythic per eight packs, each mythic shows up about once every 120 packs. At 10 commons per pack, each common shows up about once every 10 packs, so each common appears 12 times as often as each mythic. At 3 uncommons per pack, each uncommon shows up about once every 20 packs, or about 6 times as often as a mythic.

Assuming that Theros's card counts are typical, the distribution ratio would be about 1 per mythic : 2 per rare : 6 per uncommon : 12 per common.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Assuming that Theros's card counts are typical, the distribution ratio would be about 1 per mythic : 2 per rare : 6 per uncommon : 12 per common.

This would be a BIG cube, unshufflably big, and wouldn't even be super close to a regular draft experience as they still won't replicate the contents of packs.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
The strategy is grab every conspiracy and Scaled Wurm.

:shepface: Let's make this happen.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Someone is going to live the dream of 1st pick Worldknit into 2nd pick Cogwork Grinder.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Allstone posted:

Someone is going to live the dream of 1st pick Worldknit into 2nd pick Cogwork Grinder.

This is what I was thinking. The best part about Cogwork Grinder and Lurking Automaton is that if you manage to draft another one they all get your highest noted number.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zorak posted:

Oh. Oh my.

Who am I looking at here?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

Who am I looking at here?

If you look very, very closely, you'll see Fblthp.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zorak posted:

Oh. Oh my.

How long can they push Fblthp before Disney notices and gets mad?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

How long can they push Fblthp before Disney notices and gets mad?

Wizards has been doing single-eyed Homunculii since before any Pixar films featuring one-eyed creatures.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So what's the big money reprint stuff? Reflecting Pool, Stifle, Exploration, Mirari's Wake, Pernicious Deed?

EDIT: didn't realize Edric exploded in price since I went to buy one for EDH last year. He's 10-15 now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

So what's the big money reprint stuff? Reflecting Pool, Stifle, Exploration, Mirari's Wake, Pernicious Deed?

EDIT: didn't realize Edric exploded in price since I went to buy one for EDH last year. He's 10-15 now?

Is Misdirection worth anything?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Is Misdirection worth anything?

Yes, just yes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Another old art whose non-inclusion is a travesty.

It's weird, though. I'll be scrolling down the Conspiracy spoiler looking at all the reprints whose art has been replaced by some art-directed-to-gently caress thing, and then out of the blue there'll be some nice old Guay or something. It's not all gone. :unsmith:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Another old art whose non-inclusion is a travesty.

It's weird, though. I'll be scrolling down the Conspiracy spoiler looking at all the reprints whose art has been replaced by some art-directed-to-gently caress thing, and then out of the blue there'll be some nice old Guay or something. It's not all gone. :unsmith:

Guay and Nielsen must have sold her soul to Maro to keep producing MTG art. I think she's the longest running MTG artist, definitely one of the most prolific. You see nothing but crap standardized noah bradley art and then http://magiccards.info/query?q=enter+the+infinite&v=card&s=cname

Space face with fish, flowers, and an orb reminiscent of guru lands? gently caress it sent it to the printers asap.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Poor man's Force of Will for counter wars, counters some combos.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

mango sentinel posted:

Poor man's Force of Will for counter wars, counters some combos.

Also, very little in Legacy feels worse than having your Abrupt Decay Misdirected.

For some reason whenever I see the new art, I can't help but see David Schwimmer.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does goblin electromancer reduce the costs of spells with X in the cost by 1? If I have an electromancer out, can i do things like syncopate for 1 by only paying the U part of the cost?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yup. You set what the X is, then you apply cost reductions, and then you pay for the spell.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Hopping Ghost posted:

Also, very little in Legacy feels worse than having your Abrupt Decay Misdirected.

For some reason whenever I see the new art, I can't help but see David Schwimmer.

Having your Hymn Misdirected!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It does and you can.

EDIT: Too slow!

And ouch, yeah, thankfully that's never happened to me... yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

gang sines posted:

Having your Hymn Misdirected!

At least they still lose two cards! :rimshot:

• Locked thread