Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Here's a couple hours of fun (and rage) of the Goonvitational Karts tournament (Link to tourney info in OP). You should really join if you haven't already because you're missing out in the best clusterfucks!

http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe/b/534568053

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is there a way to use the Wii Remote for one-player mode? I can't seem to not use the GamePad and the placement of the buttons and triggers really stresses me out.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jetfire posted:

Is there a way to use the Wii Remote for one-player mode? I can't seem to not use the GamePad and the placement of the buttons and triggers really stresses me out.

When you turn the game on press A on the controller you want to use and not the tablet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, is there a better feeling than going through a good racing line almost perfectly through a course?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Internet Kraken posted:

So to get the full boost from drifting do you still need to wiggle the control stick back and forth or did that mechanic get ditched? I thought it was still in but then I realized my waggling might be doing nothing and its just a placebo effect.

The wiggling was ditched in MK Wii. You can still steer in the drift, of course, but the sparks are based on time (and I think sharpness?) of the drift. Also, unlike Double Dash, the orange sparks is the higher level, not blue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mennonites Revenge posted:

The wiggling was ditched in MK Wii. You can still steer in the drift, of course, but the sparks are based on time (and I think sharpness?) of the drift. Also, unlike Double Dash, the orange sparks is the higher level, not blue.

Yep. Wider drifts result in slower generation of sparks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Well now I feel like a fool.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Reiley posted:

When you turn the game on press A on the controller you want to use and not the tablet.

Oh god, thank you. Am I the only one who can only play this properly with a Wiimote + Nunchuck? Any other control scheme has the buttons either too close or too far away from each other. It was the only way I could play MKWii too.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is there not voice chat in the game, or is it just restricted to people on your friends list? I'd assume so because Nintendo, but I haven't raced with anyone on it yet. The real thing I realized was wrong with MK8 was that I wasn't hearing people screaming with rage when they get hit with items, and I would like to fix that if possible!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So when is club nintendo getting back online? Been down for me since I bought it :ohdear:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

So is there not voice chat in the game, or is it just restricted to people on your friends list? I'd assume so because Nintendo, but I haven't raced with anyone on it yet. The real thing I realized was wrong with MK8 was that I wasn't hearing people screaming with rage when they get hit with items, and I would like to fix that if possible!

Friends only lobbies. Nintendo thinks about the children.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yep. Wider drifts result in slower generation of sparks.

What's the best way to start tightening up my drifting for that? I have a habit of starting out aimed towards the near outside of the turn and turning the drift inwards since that seems to be the easiest way to correct yourself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Austrian mook posted:

So when is club nintendo getting back online? Been down for me since I bought it :ohdear:

Worked fine for me this afternoon. Heck, it's working fine right now.

If it's not working, try opening it on another browser.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the best way to start tightening up my drifting for that? I have a habit of starting out aimed towards the near outside of the turn and turning the drift inwards since that seems to be the easiest way to correct yourself.

Turning into the corner, if you need to adjust to just turn away. It'll start to feel natural after a bit.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Worked fine for me this afternoon. Heck, it's working fine right now.

If it's not working, try opening it on another browser.

huh, well then. Thanks man! :cheers:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kilometers Davis posted:

I find it best to make minute corrections by moving the...stick...back and forth...

...God dammit.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

This game has taught me that I've been wrong about the Shy Guy all this time, and he is actually awesome.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

This game has taught me that I've been wrong about the Shy Guy all this time, and he is actually awesome.

Proof!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hank Hill at the Goonvitational https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgUFHnRRlA

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Here's a couple hours of fun (and rage) of the Goonvitational Karts tournament (Link to tourney info in OP). You should really join if you haven't already because you're missing out in the best clusterfucks!

http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe/b/534568053

It wouldn't be Mario Kart if you weren't getting steadily angrier at things over the course of this stream.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I just love how at the bottom, it shows that he got 1st place, loving awesome

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Shy Guy is the best, play nothing but Shy Guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-a-CnOunzg

Like this if you cry every time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Great music choice. :golfclap:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j63kurBcjFg

bowser gets got, iggy laughin his way to the bank

Damone
May 3, 2009

I thought for a moment he was vaporized. :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dancing Peasant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j63kurBcjFg

bowser gets got, iggy laughin his way to the bank

Hahahaha, Iggy and Ludwig are the best.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh man I found the biggest shortcut ever on rainbow road (new).

When you get done with the red/green lanes take the left path, on the very first turn just adjust yourself slightly then fly off the ledge. You land on the other road by a spinner for antigrav, hit it and keep going off the road to land back on the original path, jump off that road and you land back on road 2 and you're at the finish line early.

I wish I could get a good video of it.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh man I found the biggest shortcut ever on rainbow road (new).

When you get done with the red/green lanes take the left path, on the very first turn just adjust yourself slightly then fly off the ledge. You land on the other road by a spinner for antigrav, hit it and keep going off the road to land back on the original path, jump off that road and you land back on road 2 and you're at the finish line early.

I wish I could get a good video of it.

I found this earlier tonight too. It's great because it's almost a straight line and lets you skip a bunch of turns.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Anyone know how to add replay videos to your favorites? MKTV has a "favorites" folder but I've tried absolutely everything and found no option to add poo poo to it.

I've got this insane perfect run of Bone Dry (lol) desert I want to save the replay of before it automatically gets overwritten.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Anyone know how to add replay videos to your favorites? MKTV has a "favorites" folder but I've tried absolutely everything and found no option to add poo poo to it.

I've got this insane perfect run of Bone Dry (lol) desert I want to save the replay of before it automatically gets overwritten.

You should be able to add it to favorites by pushing (+) in the post-race menu. Look for "0/6" and a star in a corner of the screen.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

enojy posted:

You should be able to add it to favorites by pushing (+) in the post-race menu. Look for "0/6" and a star in a corner of the screen.

Somehow I've noticed that at the end of every single race and never once questioned what it was

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Awww everyone cheated" I know Waluigi, I know. :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've had wonderful success online with Rosalina + Circuit Special + Cyber Slick tires. It's a weird combination...and it took some getting used to, but it's near top speed in the game with some respectable handling. Once you get the admittedly tricky power slide down (You have to go outward for a second then you can turn *SHARPLY* into a turn) you'll pull away from the pack. That speed is something else. :stare:

I tried Wario with this combination, but the turning just was not there. I lost a few seconds in time trial on Music Park and Pirahna Plant Slide.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm the worst Mario Kart player. Ever since I unlocked the Prancer, I'm just all Prancer, all the time. (With the wooden wheels and the parasol, just 'cuz.)

It may not be the best combination, but it looks pretty, drat it! So far I think Rosalina looks the best in it.

However, I may have to give that heavy character + sport bike combo a try. We just made it to 150cc last night and we are just getting WRECKED.

And while I'm here, have a couple of my replays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0keI1QIRkr8

Sick long distance snipe with a boomerang. Eat it, Ludwig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgcLoA1wlM

Koopa Troopa gets wrecked (twice), and last minute first place!

(Aside, the game has gotten exponentially more hilarious since my husband discovered Wario's horn. Now he just spams it at the start and finish lines.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Last night I found out if you are in first place when the Blue Shell comes out and go down to a lower position before it gets to you, it still hits you anyway.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mill Village posted:

Last night I found out if you are in first place when the Blue Shell comes out and go down to a lower position before it gets to you, it still hits you anyway.

I found out about this after nervously slamming on the breaks only to still get hit by the Blue Shell while in 3rd. :smith:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mill Village posted:

drat, that's a bummer. I used to love dropping back into 2nd when playing with buddies if I knew a blue shell was coming. The guy who pulled into 1st would be so happy and then he would realize my brilliant machinations and know my power.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Yeah the old hit the breaks strategy is no longer any good, best you can do now is just try to take 2nd/etc out with you if they're close enough the breaks would've worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Nephzinho posted:

Unlocking Metal Mario/Peach is just luck when winning GX cups? I have been playing almost exclusively online so while my carts are being fleshed out, I don't have many racers unlocked and wanted to give Metalclass weights a shot after playing with Heavyweight all weekend.
For me they were the last ones unlocked(Peach first, Metal Mario last), every other character was random order though

• Locked thread