Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Cheers. Managed to finally bag a crippled Il-2 that was drifting towards me, more thru luck than anything else. The 6/2 seems really handy for picking off enemy AAA guns on Karelia too

For RB and SB I generally suggest setting your convergance to 300 metres.
You should only fire on a target that is further away if:
1. He flies perfectly straight like a moron
2. You have a good deflection shot
3. You can preaim with small MGs before using your entire weapon load
4. You get good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
They really need to fix the model draw system asap. Getting shot by an invisible tank from exactly where you are looking is just bullshit.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

It's terrible in arcade where you get to face German guns. It's very tough if you can hide your lower hull, but your gun will constantly get broken. Russian guns have a lot of problems hurting your 200 armor

Eh, the only German gun/ammo that beats out the Soviets in penetration at that tier is APCR in the long 88s. The 100mm and 122mm guns seem to be a bit of a crapshoot against the Ferdinand's casemate/upper glacis. Sometimes it goes through, sometimes not. Every other part of the tank is made of explodium, though.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

The best way to play the T-34-85 is to stop it and start playing the T-34-57. They aren't even in the same league. Their guns are about equally good, but the T-34-85's :pcgaming: BATTLE RATING :pcgaming: means that it only sees Panthers and Tigers, which are just better tanks. Meanwhile the T-34-57 is merrily popping Pz IV and IIIs, with only the occasional straggler Panther.

e: Incidentally, the T-34-57 has the same BR as the Yak-9t and k, which is nice.

Talisman the T-34-57

I have never bought a Talisman before now, but a Talisman'ed T-34-57 saves a lot of grief at T3/T4 as Russians. It means you can quickly skip through the poo poo TD's (SU152 and SU85M), avoid as many of the Heavies as you want to and if you want to skip all the way up to the IS2 mod, and do it quickly. There is just so many not fun tanks for Russians for late Tier 3 and early T4 it really makes a lot of sense.

Its also only 900 GE.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am loving the KV-1 so far. Seems like such an upgrade to everything else. Just one question what is the MD-5 Fuse on some of the ammo mean?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The MD-8 fuse has a slightly longer delay than the MD-5. I don't think there is any reason to use the MD-5 once you unlock the MD-8.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Michaellaneous posted:

For RB and SB I generally suggest setting your convergance to 300 metres.
You should only fire on a target that is further away if:
1. He flies perfectly straight like a moron
2. You have a good deflection shot
3. You can preaim with small MGs before using your entire weapon load
4. You get good

thanks, but I was using the German 37mm SP AAA. Air to air in RB I'm ok for.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

thanks, but I was using the German 37mm SP AAA. Air to air in RB I'm ok for.

Oh. Spray and pray, basically.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I find I have the best results in AAA if I aim twice as far forward as I think I need to.

Also, be aware that different rounds in an ammo belt have different velocities. I would recommend picking one belt or the other, to stay consistent.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just shot down 2 Yak-9T within span of 60 seconds in my PzIV F2, first with APCR round, the second with a HEAT round - literally the two worst ammo types for shooting at planes :allears:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Teal posted:

Just shot down 2 Yak-9T within span of 60 seconds in my PzIV F2, first with APCR round, the second with a HEAT round - literally the two worst ammo types for shooting at planes :allears:

Proving once again that learning to play is way more OP than learning to spreadsheet.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Proving once again that learning to play is way more OP than learning to spreadsheet.

I am sure someone will posts the technicallys of this working, including historical proof and a spreadsheet explaining how much you have to aim in front of the planes at what angles and distances.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Haha loving nerds with their learning things and knowing trivial information. Knowing things is for nerds, I just shoot plane, why can't they just shoot plane?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sure someone will posts the technicallys of this working, including historical proof and a spreadsheet explaining how much you have to aim in front of the planes at what angles and distances.

AAA is gay, gimme flak cannons please

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

AAA is gay, gimme flak cannons please

Tier 4 88 Flak Trucks

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ukle posted:

Talisman the T-34-57

I have never bought a Talisman before now, but a Talisman'ed T-34-57 saves a lot of grief at T3/T4 as Russians. It means you can quickly skip through the poo poo TD's (SU152 and SU85M), avoid as many of the Heavies as you want to and if you want to skip all the way up to the IS2 mod, and do it quickly. There is just so many not fun tanks for Russians for late Tier 3 and early T4 it really makes a lot of sense.

Its also only 900 GE.

Once you figure out the 152 isn't a "sit on a hill and shoot at pixels in the distance" kind of tank it's a goddamn monster that wins *any* fight it lands the first shot in. The SU-85M is low profile, one of the best handling TDs, and has a great gun.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Once you figure out the 152 isn't a "sit on a hill and shoot at pixels in the distance" kind of tank it's a goddamn monster that wins *any* fight it lands the first shot in. The SU-85M is low profile, one of the best handling TDs, and has a great gun.

The SU-152 will one shot literally any tank it meets, but if you don't hit with that first shot, you're boned. If they shoot you before you shoot them, you're boned. Also, have fun landing that first shot faster than the other guy, since you're driving a overloaded KV chassis, which turns like a pig, with a casemate gun.

It's a fun gimmick tank, and it's worth it for the big explosions, but it really isn't a good tank.

As for the Su-85m - A T-34-85 with no turret? I hate myself, sign me the gently caress up.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Tier 4 88 Flak Trucks

Shouldn't be any higher than tier 2, really, especially once MGs are working.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
What are flaps, how do they work, how do I use them

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just started playing this and had a nice "Welcome to War Thunder" moment.

Was in the T-28 and was taking fire from two StuG A's on Ash River. They pretty much wrecked my everything but I was able to retreat out of their line of fire without dying. My turret was busted, guys were unconscious and slowly recovering (save for the driver), and my gun wouldn't elevate either but I could still move and fire. One StuG kept on trying to kill me but the other one moved up to attack another T-28, showing off his side to me. Cue me trying to turn my hull to get my gun onto his side while the other StuG kept hitting me. Actually got two shots off before he died to the other T-28 and got assist credit for wrecking his engine and killing half of his crew.

The second StuG died to an IL-2 and I decided I was safe enough to stop and repair.

Repair time: 16 minutes.

I died 3 minutes later when a Pz IV F1 found me.

Edit: When I run out of ammo in the GAZ AA am I boned?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 2, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Open them while travelling at 600kph to shed unnecessary weight.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Flaps are thingies that make your wing generate more lift at the cost of increased drag.

In human terms, they make your plane go up more and forward less. This can be used to either reduce your airspeed quickly, or to make you turn faster.

You can use them to gain an upper hand in turnfights if you're some kind of wizard, or you can do what everyone else does and only use them when landing.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Just downloaded this and it seems I don't have a single tank. Nor can I research any. Do I have to fly planes for hours just to be able to drive a loving tier 1 tank? :mad:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

PirateBob posted:

Just downloaded this and it seems I don't have a single tank. Nor can I research any. Do I have to fly planes for hours just to be able to drive a loving tier 1 tank? :mad:

You have to switch one of your crews over to a reserve tank

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What do you mean by reserve tank? As far as I can see I only have planes.

edit: thanks. Found some junk in the research tree. 1 for Germany, 1 for USSR.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PirateBob posted:

No. You have reserve tanks (level "zero" shitbuckets). You can't even unlock tanks with planes.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Did you pick Russia or Germany for your starting nation? Because those are the only two countries with rolling piñatas ground forces at the moment. If you didn't pick USSR or Nazis, then you need to do a batch of games first. ~10 or so to unlock all countries.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Geisladisk posted:

No. You have reserve tanks (level "zero" shitbuckets). You can't even unlock tanks with planes.

Maybe we should put that in the OP under a section titled "how to get tanks"

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Geisladisk posted:

The only nations with tanks are :godwinning: and :ussr:. Once you opened the Research screen, you need to switch to the Army tab (top left corner). Yes it's tiny and the whole UI is a bit meh.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
You should also get in mumble, info for the server is in the OP.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
It seems like every T-60 ammo belt is actually the same:

I'm using what's meant to be an AP round, but every other shot is HE as if it's the basic ammo rack :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Geisladisk posted:

Haha loving nerds with their learning things and knowing trivial information. Knowing things is for nerds, I just shoot plane, why can't they just shoot plane?

Knowledge is cool. People pretending that said knowledge will help them play a cartoon game or acting as if spreadsheets are the sole reason they die gets obnoxious.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Knowledge is cool. People pretending that said knowledge will help them play a cartoon game or acting as if spreadsheets are the sole reason they die gets obnoxious.

People acting like it doesn't matter are also obnoxious.

I don't think I've seen anyone go "If only I had the engine filter upgrade I would've won that match".

Infinite Monkeys posted:

It seems like every T-60 ammo belt is actually the same:

I'm using what's meant to be an AP round, but every other shot is HE as if it's the basic ammo rack :(

Did you make sure before spawning that you actually had different belts for the different slots? The game likes to put the default ammo in each slot every now and then.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've been having that problem too with the GAZ and the T-34 Proto. At the very least it's showing the same icon in all of the slots even if I've got different ammo types.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Actually it's happening for the T-34 1942 as well now :wtc:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

The SU-152 will one shot literally any tank it meets, but if you don't hit with that first shot, you're boned. If they shoot you before you shoot them, you're boned. Also, have fun landing that first shot faster than the other guy, since you're driving a overloaded KV chassis, which turns like a pig, with a casemate gun.

It's a fun gimmick tank, and it's worth it for the big explosions, but it really isn't a good tank.

As for the Su-85m - A T-34-85 with no turret? I hate myself, sign me the gently caress up.

You don't have to land the shot in any particular place to guarantee the kill/disable, which allows you to take a huge range of shots that would normally get you killed (for example, shooting a commander cupola poking over a hilltop or the highly angled side of a tank) and do so faster than the guy who has to adjust his aim. While it's not very nimble it's quick enough to get itself into position and get out in a reasonable time.

I think the only major downside to it is that you only have one life so it needs a fine balance between aggressive and cautious play. Aggressively pushing the flanks gets you into flanking positions where you simply win every fight instantly without giving anyone a chance to retaliate (basically if they need to turn their tank/turret to engage you, you win, period). At the same time you need to be very cautious about avoiding enemy LOS and lines of fire while scooting between victims.

Edit: And while it's not exactly reliable I've survived a shitload of shots through my SU-152 from the German 75mm guns. This is notable because if you live through that initial shot you win the fight.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 2, 2014

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
They hosed something up with the ammo belts in the last few patches. The supply brigade got drunk and mixed up the ammo boxes, so you are likely to get something else than what you asked for.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Bf-110 owns bones in tier 1 ground matches. The 20mm can hurt most tanks it sees, and having dual 20mms at tier 1 is insane. Oh, and it can also carry a bunch of bombs.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Why even bother with the SU-85M when the SU-85 is literally the same tank, but with 15mm less armor but like 1.5-2 BR lower. Seriously, the SU-85 is hands down the easiest matchup of the entire Russian TD lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

McDeth posted:

Why even bother with the SU-85M when the SU-85 is literally the same tank, but with 15mm less armor but like 1.5-2 BR lower. Seriously, the SU-85 is hands down the easiest matchup of the entire Russian TD lineup.

SU-85M is still alright.

Not as good-for-tier as SU-85 but still fine. The armor is surprisingly functional and you also get an extra APCR shell.

• Locked thread