Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Asehujiko posted:

Gregor coming back from the dead with even more retard strength is just stupid.

The Mountain's rear end pull of a super move at 5% health feels just as much of a cop out as it does in videogames where it happens especially after Oberyn already recovered from the standard reversal of fortune by having a squire ready with a second spear in case he got disarmed.
Adrenaline

e: Oops that was meant to be an edit not a double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Asehujiko posted:

If we're going by realism, somebody who is at the point where he can go pole vaulting with a poison spear stuck in his opponent's chest is simply going to win 100% of the time.
He didn't want to just win though, he wanted a confession. He could easily have killed the mountain but he didn't, dude was loving around.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Toast posted:

But hey, at least we had a heartwarming moment of Ramsay finally being appreciated by his father. :unsmith: The Boltons are both terrific in their roles and Theon's actor portrays a broken man so well; he really looked so lost and terrified when the lead iron born said he wouldn't surrender.

I honest to God thought he was going to piss himself in that scene. It was hilarious, in a morbid kind of way.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If you don't gently caress around I'll make you good pizza. If you do gently caress around I'll take a pepperoni and punch it through your head.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I love all the people going on how upset they are and how it's the bad writing's fault. Seems to me you are the ones whose heartstrings the writer is manipulating better than anyone's.

And you know you'll be back for more.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This story is genius. As soon as you get popular you die so it keep salaries really low. HBO has a winning formula now. I hope they go completely off script and just have the ice dudes kill everyone and start over next season with Bravos telling them to pay up or get melted. Undead slaves are probably better then the ones that rise up and kill the masters, and you don't have to feed them.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Are there any reaction videos posted yet? They should be good this time around.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

No More Toast posted:

Also, Sansa is great and I refuse to hear otherwise.

You and me both, bro. Her new dress is bitchin'. I couldn't handle seeing her in a sex scene though (as other posters have mentioned.) She's... she's MY age. We're both so young!

Noticed some comments saying Oberyn's death is pointless except to screw over Tyrion further. I don't think that's true at all. Tywin has just made a dangerous enemy. I've played the board game, ok? The Martells are in an excellent position to thoroughly screw the Lanisters. Oh, and they have Myrcella.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'd rather not because I have a tendency to overthink things so it might lead to accidental spoilers. Aren't the books in chronological order then? It seems like the TV show is, although I guess with certain storylines (the Wall, Dany) it's hard to tell.

The chronology of books 4 and 5 is really weird. Basically book 4 only covered about half the cast and a large part of book 5 was covering what everyone else was doing during book 4 so they're sort of parallel chronology. I think the show will go for a much more sensible timescale, though as you say with storylines really far apart it's hard to tell. Ultimately the passage of time can be adjusted to suit the needs of the plot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyone bitching about this outcome, let me ask you one thing:

When was the last time you watched a TV show with a BIG IMPORTANT SHOWDOWN (TM) where you really, truly did not know what was going to happen?

Hannibal. And that's having read the books the show is a prequel to, making it even weirder since it SHOULD give most of the characters plot armor (it doesn't, really - only for a few) :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's okay kids, you can just admit to yourselves that you wanted the sexy Spaniard to win and are upset because he died.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

BubbleGoose posted:

Aw come on. Wizard Master's posts are tradition. Like fruitcake at Christmas.

But nobody likes Fruitca- ohhhhh

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ballz posted:

Oberyn Martell aka The Red Viper (Pedro Pascal)
Second Prince of Dorne, friend of all the ladies... and some gents. Last Seen: Officially gaining title of Best Character on Game of Thrones.

welp i guess Tyrion gets it back by default now

I'd spoilered myself to the event, and I still felt ill watching it.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 2, 2014

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

For the seven and a half episodes worth of build up that fight, it was disappointing in every way possible.

If we're going by realism, somebody who is at the point where he can go pole vaulting with a poison spear stuck in his opponent's chest is simply going to win 100% of the time. Ned getting executed was a distinct possibility because Joffrey is stupid enough and has the authority for it. The Red Wedding is based on a similar event in history and it's hardly the largest scale betrayal that ever happened. Gregor coming back from the dead with even more retard strength is just stupid.

If we're going by what would be an interesting story, Oberyn trying to figure out what to do next now that he's accomplished his life's goal and Tyrion dealing with the fallout of the accusations against him is more interesting than a barely sentient tower of meat killing them who then fucks off again for three more seasons until he has another horse to decapitate. Ned's death set up the plot for the entire succession war and his own role was played out already. Robb's death created the power vacuum that shook up everybody's web of alliances everywhere. Oberyn being dead and Tyrion about to die will just result in status quo, minus two good actors in the King's Landing segments, which has already been haemorrhaging a lot of talent.

If we're going by what would be a good twist, SURPRISE SOULSTONE is the worst thing they could have done. They could have Oberyn do his dance moves around the arena and then get caught by a zweihander in mid air when he takes his stupid stunts within range of the Mountain, they could have had Oberyn poke at him and the Mountain's armour deflecting everything(speaking of which, what the gently caress is up with that). Ned's death was a good twist because you would normally expect Joffrey to show a bit of reason but he can believably decide to not do so, Robb's death was a good twist because the organisers both had good reasons and an opportunity to do so. The Mountain's rear end pull of a super move at 5% health feels just as much of a cop out as it does in videogames where it happens especially after Oberyn already recovered from the standard reversal of fortune by having a squire ready with a second spear in case he got disarmed.

On an unrelated note, Thenns are apparently a culture of cannibalistic James May clones because in all the fight they've been in they're never moved at a pace faster than walking.

Jesus man, how does it feel to see life entirely through the lens of video games?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

For the seven and a half episodes worth of build up that fight, it was disappointing in every way possible.

If we're going by realism, somebody who is at the point where he can go pole vaulting with a poison spear stuck in his opponent's chest is simply going to win 100% of the time. Ned getting executed was a distinct possibility because Joffrey is stupid enough and has the authority for it. The Red Wedding is based on a similar event in history and it's hardly the largest scale betrayal that ever happened. Gregor coming back from the dead with even more retard strength is just stupid.

If we're going by what would be an interesting story, Oberyn trying to figure out what to do next now that he's accomplished his life's goal and Tyrion dealing with the fallout of the accusations against him is more interesting than a barely sentient tower of meat killing them who then fucks off again for three more seasons until he has another horse to decapitate. Ned's death set up the plot for the entire succession war and his own role was played out already. Robb's death created the power vacuum that shook up everybody's web of alliances everywhere. Oberyn being dead and Tyrion about to die will just result in status quo, minus two good actors in the King's Landing segments, which has already been haemorrhaging a lot of talent.

If we're going by what would be a good twist, SURPRISE SOULSTONE is the worst thing they could have done. They could have Oberyn do his dance moves around the arena and then get caught by a zweihander in mid air when he takes his stupid stunts within range of the Mountain, they could have had Oberyn poke at him and the Mountain's armour deflecting everything(speaking of which, what the gently caress is up with that). Ned's death was a good twist because you would normally expect Joffrey to show a bit of reason but he can believably decide to not do so, Robb's death was a good twist because the organisers both had good reasons and an opportunity to do so. The Mountain's rear end pull of a super move at 5% health feels just as much of a cop out as it does in videogames where it happens especially after Oberyn already recovered from the standard reversal of fortune by having a squire ready with a second spear in case he got disarmed.

On an unrelated note, Thenns are apparently a culture of cannibalistic James May clones because in all the fight they've been in they're never moved at a pace faster than walking.

Yeah, this post doesn't make much sense. Oberyn was not fighting to kill, he was fighting to implicate Tywin in public (and then kill once implicated). The Mountain stalling by not saying anything (after he was clearly beaten), allowed him to catch Oberyn at a moment of weakness/in a mistake. It wasn't a super move comeback at the end of a heated fight, it was Vega dancing around taunting too much in Zangief's throwing reach even though a piledriver would take off his remaining health, if you must use a video game analogy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Right, I've seen some complaints about Oberyn's final moment being too gruesome or whatever. I can kind of see that, but this was pretty much completely how it happened in the *gasp* books. There have been some major moments in this show that have kind of differed from what they were in the source material whereas this one was very loyal to it, but of course then you have the question of should they just have had Oberyn sliced in half or something as opposed to this more prolonged death. Because, poo poo, I feel like if I had not known what was going to happen, I would've found that over-excessive. Just chop his head off or something, I dunno. But then, does it simply just become "Welp, he's dead" as opposed to this, well, rather strong reaction? Ehh. It is what it is.

I mean Oberyn was just basically there to make Tyrion's situation even more messed up, but then Pedro Pascal was actually great in the role and he became a fan favorite.

I am pretty sure in the books Oberyn's face gets demolished because Clegane keeps pulling his face onto the snapped off shaft of spear stuck in his chest.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you guys want to know a cool little trivial connection between characters:

This dude who listened to Sansa's confession in the Vale...

is the father of THIS dude who died way back in the very first scene of s01e01!

Ghost of LSV
Jul 3, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

If you guys want to know a cool little trivial connection between characters:

This dude who listened to Sansa's confession in the Vale...

is the father of THIS dude who died way back in the very first scene of s01e01!

Yeah well spotted, it was a nice little nod to continuity.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also know that there are still people (my sister included, until a few weeks ago*) who didn't realise that Lord Commander Mormont was Jorah "Friendzone" Mormont's father.

You could play a long game of "this dude is THIS dude's dad!" connections with this series and keep surprising people.

*My sister, I poo poo you not, also didn't realise that Stannis is Robert's brother, until she saw something on Youtube a month or so ago. She legitimately didn't get why he was so adamant about getting the throne for himself.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 2, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I also know that there are still people (my sister included, until a few weeks ago) who didn't realise that Lord Commander Mormont was Jorah "Friendzone" Mormont's father.

You could play a long game of "this dude is THIS dude's dad!" connections with this series and keep surprising people.

That's not really amazing at all. Like they mentioned the relation in one throw-away line and it never became more relevant than that. Most people aren't watching this show with a notebook.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I also know that there are still people (my sister included, until a few weeks ago) who didn't realise that Lord Commander Mormont was Jorah "Friendzone" Mormont's father.

That's not really amazing at all. Like they mentioned the relation in one throw-away line and it never became more relevant than that. Most people aren't watching this show with a notebook.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So it turns out the laptop I uploaded the previous image on has completely poo poo contrast so it was supposed to look like this:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

BioMe posted:

The sword Jeor Mormont gave to Jon Snow had been given to his own son, Jorah. He left it behind when he ran from the north when Ned Stark was coming for his head.

I love that his eye is bleeding :)

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I hope some savvy producer locks Pedro Pascal into an action movie ASAP. He's gotta be getting a ton of offers right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

KinkyJohn posted:

So it turns out the laptop I uploaded the previous image on has completely poo poo contrast so it was supposed to look like this:

So the image you made before the episode aired, and posted in the non spoiler thread, shows Oberyn with blood coming out of his eye, no teeth, and blood spattered around his head. :raise:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

MrBims posted:

The sword Jeor Mormont gave to Jon Snow had been given to his own son, Jorah. He left it behind when he ran from the north when Ned Stark was coming for his head.

Yes, but who remembers that poo poo at this point? It was never really relevant to anything beyond that scene.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Someone post that bbqd and flayed man because holy poo poo the boltons are hosed up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

If we're going by realism,

This is a television show. With magic and dragons.

quote:

If we're going by what would be an interesting story,

Interesting stories are subjective, but Oberyn's death teaches the audience a lesson, and its there to remind you that no character is safe.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 2, 2014

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Samara posted:

Do we have a current YouTube link to the fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFV8JccFq38

Although I don't know why you'd want to see it again...

SBJ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 2, 2014

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Gotta agree with the people saying the death was completely pointless. I can't imagine any plot developments will come from the prince of a huge noble house dying after getting a confession for murder of his sister. Senseless, truly

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So are Arya and the Hound at least going to stop in at the castle? Because if not it's getting kind of eye-rollingly dumb how many chances the kids have to run into each other that have some poorly-written excuse behind not happening.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So are Arya and the Hound at least going to stop in at the castle? Because if not it's getting kind of eye-rollingly dumb how many chances the kids have to run into each other that have some poorly-written excuse behind not happening.

The Hound, who is on the run from the Lannisters, who happen to be looking for Arya to kill her, is going to go into a castle run by the guy he remembers being close to the Lannisters in King's Landing why, exactly? Poorly written excuse, eh?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

This was a pretty well done greenscreen of the Red Keep.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why would they be let in?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Where will the Hound take Arya next though? He's not exactly gonna get much of a reward from Jon Snow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrBims posted:

Why would they be let in?

Maybe Sansa thinks one creepy possessive dude who keeps offering to save her isn't enough and wants a matching pair?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

Where will the Hound take Arya next though? He's not exactly gonna get much of a reward from Jon Snow

He has a bounty on his head, so he's pretty hosed. Boltons to the North wont pay for her, South is Kings Landing so nope there and West is Tyrells(?). He could get lucky and meet up with Brieanne I guess, but I think he mentioned Bravos when the bounty thing came up so probably there.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Darko posted:

Yeah, this post doesn't make much sense. Oberyn was not fighting to kill, he was fighting to implicate Tywin in public (and then kill once implicated). The Mountain stalling by not saying anything (after he was clearly beaten), allowed him to catch Oberyn at a moment of weakness/in a mistake. It wasn't a super move comeback at the end of a heated fight, it was Vega dancing around taunting too much in Zangief's throwing reach even though a piledriver would take off his remaining health, if you must use a video game analogy.

And if you'll notice- Oberyn looked over and smugged at his girl before he got swept off his feet, if that isnt a commentary on women being the downfall of men :argh:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
With Oberyn's death the Lannisters have pretty much lost their last chance to ally with another house before everyone gets ready to push their poo poo in.

Tyrell's are just biding their time.
They have no friends up North (Bolton is a bastard that will double-cross them).
The Vale wants to destroy them.
Stannis wants to destroy them.
Martells will most likely want to destroy them.
Braavos wants to collect their debt.

Tywin must realize that he is absolutely hosed at this point. He has no money and his army was not even enough to fight Stannis, let alone everyone else. Cersei is a short-sighted, reckless maniac who believes herself to be more clever than she actually is, Jaime is a celibate knight who cannot hold a sword let alone fight, Tyrion is about to have his head chopped off.

Does Tywin even know what the hell he is doing anymore or is he just going through the motions to organize his own demise? He acts like he has some grand master plan but on the surface he doesn't seem to be very prepared to preserve his family name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
That episode was just depressing, the Red Wedding didn't impact me much but I still feel down an hour after watching this one.

• Locked thread