Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey goons, feel free to follow along for [at least] one more round of drafting! Queue should be popping soon, hopefully we'll draft something rad!

http://www.twitch.tv/mikujin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
Hey, is anyone here still in need of a beta key? I haven't found anyone for mine yet, and want someone to get use out of it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Oh yeah I have a few beta keys too

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

Picked up a Soul Marble in draft tonight, after already going into white for P1P1 for Spearcliff Cloud Knight. Soul Marble P2P1 cemented the white, and then I went green for ramp with Howling Braves (3) into Honeycaps (3) with a side of Briar Legions (5). Ended up with 3-4 removal spells depending on sideboarding and two Wind Whisperers, which were going late. 2-0 so far, beating a wild/blood bunnies deck that could make a lot of weenies but not do enough with them, and a wild/sapphire deck that had some sweet evasion plus bounce recursion going on, but bouncing Briar Legions is actually NOT a great thing to do.

Second game of the first match I got to go off with the Soul Marble and holy crap. Ended up with three 10/10 Briars and a couple of massive flyers.

Edit: Went 3-0, didn't drop a game. Also, sounds like I met a goon in the finals, since they knew I had 5 Briar Legions. Maybe it's not the best idea to post my deck before the draft's over? :tinfoil:

moravec fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 2, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Holy moly Hex support.

So yesterday I got to the finals in a tournament, and my deck wasn't a very fast deck. I'm in Taiwan so I lag a lot, and over a ton of turns the lag time really accumulates. Add in some time it took me to think, and I was about 3-4 minutes behind my opponent. Pretty reasonable for the second game.

I was starting to worry about the timer on my next game. I could beat this guy, but definitely not within some time to do it. With his lead on me, I wasn't going to make it.

Then, in an obvious effort to just run down the timer, he played an infiltrator bot and continuously used its unblockable ability (while it was exhausted and during my turn!) to run down the timer further, ensuring I would not have enough time to win the third game.

Well I felt this was pretty unsportsmanlike so I took a screenie of him doing this and sent it in to Hex Support as an "Other Violations." I didn't say I'd win if he didn't do that or whatever, I just complained that such things shouldn't be done (they shouldn't.)

They responded by giving me a free draft ticket! I couldn't believe it. I didn't ask or expect one, I still had an otherwise great draft. (For the record, I don't want him banned or anything, just a clear 'Hey guy, don't do that.' would be cool.)

Moral of the story: Report the dickheads in the community and get free draft tickets. You get cards, they get to correct bad behavior. Everybody wins.

moravec posted:

Hey, is anyone here still in need of a beta key? I haven't found anyone for mine yet, and want someone to get use out of it.

Toss it my way please. I have a friend who wants in, he apparently played Magic for a long time and was pretty interested in Hex. Also, he's the leader of an online guild that's pretty big, so if we get him in he's likely to get lots more people interested.

Edit: I got him a key and indeed, he has a ton of guild mates who all want in. If you want, feel free to give them to me. But I wanted to correct my original post.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 2, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I don't know, man. The clock is an aspect of the game, just like the cards. It's somewhat common practice to use it to your advantage when you can, and he identified that potential in your match. It's not ideal, obviously, but I can't fault him for it, nor would I consider him an rear end in a top hat.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

There's a case on both sides. If it was a free activation, I'd have totally agreed that it was a super lovely thing to do. Thing is, Infiltrator Bot costs a resource every time he does it, so he's actively not casting things on his turn to do it.

It is definitely unsportsmanlike. I see it as kind of like stalling when you're close to the 50 minute mark in MtG, taking that extra 10 seconds to think on each move. You're pushing that line, but trying not to push it too far.

I've really got mixed feelings on this. While you shouldn't be able to run the clock like that, as it makes a lovely play experience, I worry about enforcing rules on like "Don't play this or you'll get banned!".

I know they said they wouldn't change cards once released, but I wonder if they shouldn't make exceptions for small functional stuff and add "Once per turn" to that ability. There's no reason to ever use that more than once a turn, other than a revert.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Proper priority passing options are all that's really needed to make that a non-issue--the ability to pass until your next turn, or always yield to a particular effect.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

moravec posted:

If you wouldn't mind throwing it my way

Snagged another one.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 2, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Proper priority passing options are all that's really needed to make that a non-issue--the ability to pass until your next turn, or always yield to a particular effect.

I want this so bad. SO bad.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
There's a lot of weird priority issues. I've noticed on pump guys that half the time I get priority after I pump, half the time I don't. This doesn't ever seem to happen to my opponents, who always put all their pumps on the stack at the same time.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Yeah, auto-yield is what's needed here, and I'm sure they recognize it. I feel like the biggest deficiency in the core gameplay right now is better depiction and handling of the chain and activated abilities. Also a little more clarity on triggered abilities--sometimes the card shaking alone is not enough to really indicate what just happened.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

moravec posted:

Yeah, auto-yield is what's needed here, and I'm sure they recognize it. I feel like the biggest deficiency in the core gameplay right now is better depiction and handling of the chain and activated abilities. Also a little more clarity on triggered abilities--sometimes the card shaking alone is not enough to really indicate what just happened.

Triggered abilities - in general - suck in HEX, and lack consistency. For example, Crazed Squirrel Titan has an enter-the-battlefield trigger to fight another troop that uses the chain. This means it can be responded to with pumps or removal to blank it. Conversely, Sniper of Gawain has an ETB trigger to deal damage to another troop equal to the Sniper's power that does not use the chain, meaning only other ETB triggers/modifiers can affect the damage it deals, and that you can't pump the Sniper OR his target as a response.

While this sort of thing doesn't come up a ton, it is one of my small gripes with gameplay. I know the triggers off-the-chain change was done in alpha to simplify things, but I think rather than dumb it down and create some unintuitive (or even contradictory) game states the best solution is/would have been an auto-yield. It solves so many issues, from time concerns to expediting gameplay by optionally yielding to triggers and abilities you don't care about.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Beta Code: 0269-4367-60ee-42c5

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2014

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Karnegal posted:

Beta Code: 0269-4367-60ee-42c5

Used this, thanks.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

OK, I'll just post mine. Lemme know when you use it.

Beta Code: 934f-3203-7206-42b3

moravec fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 2, 2014

Dynamics
Sep 8, 2006

I'm da man!

moravec posted:

OK, I'll just post mine. Lemme know when you use it.

Beta Code: 934f-3203-7206-42b3

Got this one. Thanks!

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Where doi find my beta code to give away?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Gross Dude posted:

Where doi find my beta code to give away?

Should have been sent to your email

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They sent you an email with the subject "HEX TCG Beta Invite" around May 20th.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Entering a draft with 7 grabbed rares and a legendary. Don't care if I lose with this haul, though a kraken and 2 judgements might end up getting some fun results.

Edit: And now frozen on the starscape pre-coinflip. D'oh

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

What a Judas posted:

I don't know, man. The clock is an aspect of the game, just like the cards. It's somewhat common practice to use it to your advantage when you can, and he identified that potential in your match. It's not ideal, obviously, but I can't fault him for it, nor would I consider him an rear end in a top hat.

I get what you're saying here, I do. But the thing is, that I really shouldn't be punished for playing from Taiwan. With as many pass priorities as there are, a 300-400ms ping really adds up over long games. (Or maybe it's just me? Grim, do you have a similar issue with the clock running down?)

He was also consciously choosing to make the game less fun (for us both!) just so he could win. I don't want him banned, I never said that. But I don't like this behavior. I agree a much better solution than actually punishing such behavior is to simply make it impossible. You guys are right, the choice to "run down the clock while making no meaningful plays" should not exist.

I think the pump abilities and such getting an auto-pass, or at least be given a Burn to the Ground-like "X" cost selection, would solve this problem. The card would ask, "How many resources do you want to spend on this?" and there would be only one pass.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Entering a draft with 7 grabbed rares and a legendary. Don't care if I lose with this haul, though a kraken and 2 judgements might end up getting some fun results.

Edit: And now frozen on the starscape pre-coinflip. D'oh

Judgement will kill your kracken.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Afgad posted:

I think the pump abilities and such getting an auto-pass, or at least be given a Burn to the Ground-like "X" cost selection, would solve this problem. The card would ask, "How many resources do you want to spend on this?" and there would be only one pass.

People would still poke at it one at a time to see if they can prompt their opponent into responding before they spend all their mana.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Afgad posted:

I get what you're saying here, I do. But the thing is, that I really shouldn't be punished for playing from Taiwan. With as many pass priorities as there are, a 300-400ms ping really adds up over long games. (Or maybe it's just me? Grim, do you have a similar issue with the clock running down?)
I don't notice any slowdown affecting my clock, but I only really pay attention to my opponents clock - I agree with you that if there are no meaningful plays that would seem to me to go against the spirit of the game, but at the same time if I'm losing a match and my opponent is 2 minutes or more slower than me I will continue to lose that match rather than concede

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Gross Dude posted:

Judgement will kill your kracken.

Never got to try it due to some bugs and then massive lag that killed the fun out of the match. Are the tentacles not cost 8 like the kraken? I figured judgement would kill everything under 8 cost, then let me follow up for some big damage. Trial of Faith + kraken also seems like a neat thing to try out (again, no opportunity) though not necessarily good.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Never got to try it due to some bugs and then massive lag that killed the fun out of the match. Are the tentacles not cost 8 like the kraken? I figured judgement would kill everything under 8 cost, then let me follow up for some big damage. Trial of Faith + kraken also seems like a neat thing to try out (again, no opportunity) though not necessarily good.

Tentacles are all cost 1.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Are there any plans for forming a goon guild?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

eatenmyeyes posted:

As soon as guilds are implemented, I think we decided on Hexagoons as the name.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

As soon as guilds are implemented, I think we decided on Hexagoons as the name.

Yup. It will be done when we get guilds in (what another month or so?)

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

eatenmyeyes posted:

Until then, make your friend's list manually by using this convenient spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6sxA02g4p-dFpJTm9IQ2F6ckhlRXc3b25kV1dOUFE&usp=sharing

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how Guild stuff will appear in-game, like presumably it will involve different text colours in chat but I mean how will tags / titles / etc be handled? will we have some kind of in-game emblem or something we can add to our Keeps?

The last game I played with guild support was UO so really I have no idea what to expect from a modern MMO

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I doubt there'll be much more than guild chat channels and possibly automatically applied guild tags to chat handles, as far as that kind of thing is concerned. We do know that there are plans for guild "banks" (really more like libraries) which let people in the guild check out cards/decks to play against other guild members, and there was also mention of top competitive guilds being given free copies of previous tournament winning decks so they can test against them (again only within the guild, no using the free decks in tournament play or whatever).

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
New patch is up with something I am stupidly excited for..... sleeves in limited tournaments. :D

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gross Dude posted:

New patch is up with something I am stupidly excited for..... sleeves in limited tournaments. :D

gently caress YES

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gross Dude posted:

As of a few hours ago the new patch had also introduced a bug with priorities not appearing properly in certain situations, so nobody could do anything. Also tournaments were down. :v:

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Yeah, I tried to play a pick-up constructed game, but you can't accept challenges. So, uh. Whee....

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I was able to play a few constructed games, including accepting a challenge, but most of them fell victim to the priority bug. It appears to be particularly associated with Countermagic, but it hit at least once outside of that.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I hope they implement some sort of in-house tournament system. I'd love to run some Hexagoon tournaments where new members can compete with one another with pauper decks from the guild bank, and the winner gets to keep their cards + some rares suitable for their deck, or something.

Basically I like the idea of giving our guildmates practice on tournaments, as well as giving cards to new players. I don't know about you other backers, but I have way more cards than I could ever need. I'd like to spend them on developing a rich community of Hexagoons.

There is a lot of stuff we could do once gifting and the AH comes into play. We don't even need guild support for a lot of it.

With all those beta keys going out there's got to be a lot of new Goon players out there ready to jump in but without the cash or time to do well in the proving grounds. The game is pretty boring right now unless you're willing to slap down a ton of cash.

Anyone want to set up a "Starter deck" tournament for new players, where they can only play with their starters? Or perhaps a pauper deck tournament of only commons and uncommons? By the time we actually get it organized and played out I bet the AH will be in and we can distribute prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

I hope they implement some sort of in-house tournament system. I'd love to run some Hexagoon tournaments where new members can compete with one another with pauper decks from the guild bank, and the winner gets to keep their cards + some rares suitable for their deck, or something.

Basically I like the idea of giving our guildmates practice on tournaments, as well as giving cards to new players. I don't know about you other backers, but I have way more cards than I could ever need. I'd like to spend them on developing a rich community of Hexagoons.

There is a lot of stuff we could do once gifting and the AH comes into play. We don't even need guild support for a lot of it.

With all those beta keys going out there's got to be a lot of new Goon players out there ready to jump in but without the cash or time to do well in the proving grounds. The game is pretty boring right now unless you're willing to slap down a ton of cash.

Anyone want to set up a "Starter deck" tournament for new players, where they can only play with their starters? Or perhaps a pauper deck tournament of only commons and uncommons? By the time we actually get it organized and played out I bet the AH will be in and we can distribute prizes.

Oh gods yes, I have 400 boosters and I'm going to have so many extras to give away. I would say we wait until trading/AH is in and then run a pauper tournament. Starter deck only feels pretty boring to me, but if people are into it, more power to them.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread