Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So there was recently a military coup on my island, but the mutineers seem to be stuck, glitched out, and totally unmoving in the middle of a road. Meanwhile, my entire army is huddled around a guard tower, waiting for the rebels that will never come, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I can't build anything because the game still thinks I'm in combat, and my aircraft carrier is totally preoccupied bombing a hillside in the middle of nowhere (also glitched). Help?

e: Nevermind! Those crazy airstrikes eventually set a building near my troops on fire, and I guess that was enough to get them moving again. :psyduck:

literally this big fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baronjutter posted:

There has got to be a better way to upgrade houses to electricity. Do I actually have to hunt them all down and click through 2 menus to do it? Also previously the model changed to show aircon or something, nothing changes so you can't even see what's upgraded or not.

If you go into the Buildings section of the Almanac in what I think is the Residential section you can see which houses are upgraded and which aren't and click them to open the houses menu.

Still annoying, but less so than having to actually check every house.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a list of resource prices anywhere? How are we supposed to plan our economy or know what's worth what? So far the only way I've seen how much anything is worth is via the trade screen, but there you can only see the default price of a good that's up for a trade route.

You can also see values of everything you produce.

Values seem to be consistent at start, i'm actually not sure what causes changes after that, the Colonial is the result of about 9 different test points that were always the exact goddamn same, the others are just kind of whatever saves i have lying around. I have literally never built a chocolate or electronics factory, i should see what those wind up as.

I also have a theory that multiproduction cycle buildings are slower if you can't keep them firing on all cylinders, hence why you'd use anything other than fish in a cannery or use cotton in a textile mill. However i also haven't really spent the time spergin' to figure out production of all but a few buildings in the simplest circumstances. I kinda wanted to just play the game instead of spreadsheeting for a while.

code:
Era			Colonial	World Wars (1)	World Wars (2)	Cold War (1)	Modern Times (1)Modern Times (2)
Market price...
Banana			800		800		800		800		960		800
Corn			400		370		357		300		344		257
Fish			300		300		300		300		360		300
Meat			1000		1130		1143		1200		1200		1000
Milk			700		830		843		900		944		757
Pineapple		900		900		900		900		1080		900

Cocoa			1500		1500		1500		1500		1800		1500
Coffee			1300		1300		1300		1300		1560		1300
Cotton			1100		1270		1257		1200		1304		1057
Sugar			800		800		800		800		960		640
Tobacco			1000		1000		1000		1000		1200		1000
Wool			900		820		807		750		833		679

Logs			600		738		621		650		840		700
Iron			1400		1140		1114		887		887		857
Coal			600		470		457		500		500		500
Gold			2500		2500		2500		2500		2500		2500
Bauxite					1770		1757		1700		1687		1657
Uranium									3500		3700		4150
Oil									5000		7133		7433

Planks			1500		1500		1500		1500		1726		1965
Cloth					2800		2800		2800		2574		2765
Canned Goods				2000		2000				2000		2200
Steel					3800		3933		4500				3612
Furniture									                        2800	
Pharmaceuticals												2845
Apparel													3612

Cigar					3200		3200						4088
Rum					2700		2700				4701		2173
Jewelry					7000		7000				3633
Cars
Chocolate
Electronics

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s kind of silly that in the campaign, treasury surpluses don’t carry over from one mission to the next.

I guess it’s for balance, but buildings and Swiss Bank balance do carry over, so I’d be dumb not to spend it all before completing the objectives.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

It’s kind of silly that in the campaign, treasury surpluses don’t carry over from one mission to the next.

I guess it’s for balance, but buildings and Swiss Bank balance do carry over, so I’d be dumb not to spend it all before completing the objectives.

If you're just about to finish the objective, lay down a shitton of expensive buildings.

Then next time you're on that island, cancel them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looks like cigars, if you have the fertility, is the best sustainable money-maker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Looks like cigars, if you have the fertility, is the best sustainable money-maker.

Where can I see the arithmetic on this?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Cocoa is one mean cash crop all the way to the end, but I find sugar and tobacco to be the best cash crops to build industry chains with since cigars and rum are valuable and their factories need no power to work. Gives you something to industrialize with right as you gain independence.

Conversely, canneries always felt unwieldy as all hell with up to four inputs and a power requirement. No sir, you can get your canned goods from somewhere else, these pineapples and fish are for Tropican dinner tables!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sugar and tobacco are picky about climate. That’s the main downside I see to them.

Speaking of electrification, do power plants use the same amount of coal/natural gas no matter the demand? If so, what if they’re not fully staffed?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like pharmaceuticals for not having an input and being a healthcare booster, plus the building looks cool. Needs power, though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of electrification, do power plants use the same amount of coal/natural gas no matter the demand? If so, what if they’re not fully staffed?

They produce less power when understaffed, don't know if they spend same amounts of coal on that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really really wish we had some smaller scale options for power. I loved the windmills from T4.
Or I wish the coal plant started out small and had a bunch of upgrades to expand it. I feel like I'm burning all my limited coal for nothing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coal is really cheap so it's not much of an issue. With an upgraded customs office you should be able to buy it for about the same as the export price. Of course if you could store coal in a warehouse and use it only for power and steel it would be better.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How are imports supposed to work? I had six ships importing iron to feed my steel mills but only ended up importing iron once every couple of years. I had plenty of money to pay for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah that's what drives me nuts. I'm importing coal, but more than I need for my plant so my idiot dock then sells it. So then I have to keep buying more. At least in T4 when you had a nuclear plant or someting that needed resources the game was intelligent enough to import it, and I think was even smart enough to never export a resource you don't produce your self but have demand for.

A simple automatic system like in t4 could solve so many problems, or even better a warehouse for storing resources. Could be just like in the Anno series where you can set a cap to sell above X or to buy when below Y.

But seriously, remember the "allow imports" button? Bring that poo poo back. Automatically import coal or uranium or iron or what ever the gently caress you need at the amounts you need.

Popular Thug Drink, in your above example what would probably happen is that your trade ship goes off on its voyage to get a bunch of iron. While your steel mill waits it sits not producing anything. Finally your ship arrives with a ton of iron, it sits around until a teamster delivers it to your steel mill. Oops a trade ship came in and sold the rest of the iron still at the dock. Ok time to wait for the next shipment.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 2, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I have the inverse problem, I'll import stuff below market just to flip it and it ends up sitting on the dock for years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SimCity handled resources better.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Vectorwulf posted:

There should be duplicate files, one with .lua and one with .luac. I think it renames the original file to .luac, so the "new" .lua will have the readable info. And for some reason, notepad++ doesn't work as well as standard Notepad on certain files, so be sure to try both!

I got it working but all lua files I decompile are basically corrupted, throwing up things like "-- Confused at declaration of local variable. (Assignments::declareLocals)", constantly and cutting 90% of the file.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Platystemon posted:

SimCity handled resources better.

Whoa, hey. Let's not get carried away here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wyld Karde posted:

Whoa, hey. Let's not get carried away here.

It really did, though. There were storage buildings with options to import, export, or use locally, and as much as the delivery lorries were stymied by traffic congestion, the ships clipped through each other without complaint.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Popular Thug Drink, in your above example what would probably happen is that your trade ship goes off on its voyage to get a bunch of iron. While your steel mill waits it sits not producing anything. Finally your ship arrives with a ton of iron, it sits around until a teamster delivers it to your steel mill. Oops a trade ship came in and sold the rest of the iron still at the dock. Ok time to wait for the next shipment.

That's what I thought was happening, but the import and export graphs for iron didn't correspond. I'd get spikes of imports years apart and the odd spike of export, but they never matched up in quantity. Either exports are bugged or large quantities of imports are going missing - maybe my crime lords are to blame?

I like the assigning ships mechanic but I suspect that it's buggy, or there is something else influencing it that isn't made explicit. I also had tons of exports piling up on my docks in stacks of 4500, which looks like it's waiting for a special export deal, except with goods I didn't have a trade deal for and were just hanging around for general sale.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like each import and export ship has a limited storage capacity or limit on the number of types of goods. It tries to prioritize which resources to load based on your current trade routes.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

az posted:

I got it working but all lua files I decompile are basically corrupted, throwing up things like "-- Confused at declaration of local variable. (Assignments::declareLocals)", constantly and cutting 90% of the file.

I got a ton of those too, think it was the... Data(?) hpk that did that. Basically, you have to view most those with Windows Notepad, they won't properly decompile for some reason (like with buildingtemplate files, you can at least see the key modifiers in readable text, mixed in with random code). Some others just don't seem to be viewable with any of the above methods. :( Someone on the Kalypso modding thread might know how to deal with that better, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why didn't they just store everything in something easier to edit ? I don't understand in this day and age why a company wouldn't at least make things easy to mod/tweak. You don't have to roll out some fancy mod exchange system, but holy poo poo do mods add to the replay value of PC games and keep sales going for longer. Even factoring in "protecting DLC sales" easy modding you still win out.

I remember as a kid opening up some simple txt file in civ2 and seeing basically the whole game in there. I could tweak every unit, every terrain, every building. Why the hell not just have some "buildings.lua" file in plain text that anyone can open up and play with all the stats? Is it that much effort?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Platystemon posted:

It really did, though. There were storage buildings with options to import, export, or use locally, and as much as the delivery lorries were stymied by traffic congestion, the ships clipped through each other without complaint.

No way :colbert:, the storage facilities were dumbly expensive, required even more money to expand, had way too small capacity, and stuff disappeared randomly all over. It's not exactly Anno 2070, but I've not had resource allocation problems with T5.

Also I finished the campaign, it was OK, didn't quite reach the heights modern times did in T4, but provided a good framework that I hope they expand on. I also liked not having to build the same drat city on the same drat island over and over like T4's campaigns were, having the city persistent was a smart move, if a little unbalancing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i made a city in modern times, with most every factory (forgot apparel) and ran them at 100% efficiency with everything imported to look at what they crapped out, so here's what they look like in terms of monthly production and profit (again, at 3 budget). 1 input always leads to 1 output, so 5 Cocoa and 5 Sugar makes 10 Chocolate, and 10 Fish makes 10 Canned Goods (these numbers should give you a sense of how much production you need for multiple factories above all else).

code:
Factory			Production	Profit
Pharmaceuticals		600		1111
Pharma w/oil		900		-350
Canned Goods		1200		1190
Textile Mill		800		1196
Furniture Factory	700		761
Chocolate Factory	500		1191
Libertad Chocolate	800		2050
Rum Distillery		600		808
Steel Mill		600		1355
Cigar Factory		500		1246
Electronics Factory	300		1650
Jewelry Workshop	300		1270
Vehicle Factory		400		4220

Profit def accounts for input cost - note Pharma w Oil. The insane outliers are Vehicles, Chocolate, and Furniture, the first and last of those could...probably do with some balancing. This doesn't really capture everything that a factory is about - i don't account for labor (both quantity and quality), space, upgrades (other than additional lines), or trade deals, factors that make canneries, vehicle factories, and electronics factories significantly better than on paper. Canned Goods deals should stand out as being worth an assload, since Canneries produce a stupid amount of exports.

Factories have production prorated by the number of lines running - Canned Goods produce 300 for each line running, Chocolate Factories actually occassionally said 1000 production i don't know what was up with it going to 800 but the profit went up so ???, textiles produce 400 for each of cotton and wool. I forgot to check the luxury line for furniture but i don't see why turning gold into furniture is going to help. Pharma is the exception, the oil line is basically half a line.

Baronjutter posted:

Why didn't they just store everything in something easier to edit ? I don't understand in this day and age why a company wouldn't at least make things easy to mod/tweak. You don't have to roll out some fancy mod exchange system, but holy poo poo do mods add to the replay value of PC games and keep sales going for longer. Even factoring in "protecting DLC sales" easy modding you still win out.

I remember as a kid opening up some simple txt file in civ2 and seeing basically the whole game in there. I could tweak every unit, every terrain, every building. Why the hell not just have some "buildings.lua" file in plain text that anyone can open up and play with all the stats? Is it that much effort?

Yes, yes it is. It's not even all that bad anyway.

e: Found a campaign bug: in the "get tons of swiss bank" mission, it's not properly sanitized so if you spend 50k+ in swiss and push your mission long earnings to -50k, you win.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Tulip posted:

I forgot to check the luxury line for furniture but i don't see why turning gold into furniture is going to help.

With the upgrade it's 900 furniture at 100 effectiveness, each unit uses 0.05 units of gold and 0.95 planks.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Vectorwulf posted:

I got a ton of those too, think it was the... Data(?) hpk that did that. Basically, you have to view most those with Windows Notepad, they won't properly decompile for some reason (like with buildingtemplate files, you can at least see the key modifiers in readable text, mixed in with random code). Some others just don't seem to be viewable with any of the above methods. :( Someone on the Kalypso modding thread might know how to deal with that better, though.

I can see there is a lot more data when I read the luas with a hex editor but the decompiled output always cuts of everything after the first few lines, regardless of what reader I use :(

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wallet posted:

With the upgrade it's 900 furniture at 100 effectiveness, each unit uses 0.05 units of gold and 0.95 planks.

Well poo poo, maybe i should take a look at that some time.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

az posted:

I can see there is a lot more data when I read the luas with a hex editor but the decompiled output always cuts of everything after the first few lines, regardless of what reader I use :(

Yeah, I'm totally at as loss with those files myself. Keep hoping some intrepid modder with far more skill than I have will figure it out.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
welp

Note to self, have proper education facilities in place to move from plantations to hydroponics. :suicide:

Pop growth seems to be stabilized now at least.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I ran into an interesting bug, I paused the game to eat dinner, when I came back and unpaused it, I instantly finished researching all 6 remaining techs in the World Wars era, and my bank account somehow accumulated 600,000 dollars out of thin air. El Presidente, how do you do it?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Has anyone done any testing with Ranches? I had noticed that their location quality always ends up going to poo poo, but I wasn't sure if I was just placing other buildings too place to them or something, so I started writing down the numbers. I placed a Llama ranch which had +50, then when I checked again less than a year later it was down to +33, and while writing this post have just watched it drop every time a month passes down to +27. That has to be a bug, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wallet posted:

Has anyone done any testing with Ranches? I had noticed that their location quality always ends up going to poo poo, but I wasn't sure if I was just placing other buildings too place to them or something, so I started writing down the numbers. I placed a Llama ranch which had +50, then when I checked again less than a year later it was down to +33, and while writing this post have just watched it drop every time a month passes down to +27. That has to be a bug, right?

Noticed this too. Apparently there's a description somewhere that says it'll deplete the land around it as the years pass, which sucks. I hope Factory Farms don't do that, because Cattle is a nice boost to food variety and is a handy source of employment for the proletariat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

toasterwarrior posted:

Noticed this too. Apparently there's a description somewhere that says it'll deplete the land around it as the years pass, which sucks. I hope Factory Farms don't do that, because Cattle is a nice boost to food variety and is a handy source of employment for the proletariat.

If you bulldoze a ranch, the quality recovers pretty rapidly. I wonder if the same thing happens with cutting employment to zero for a bit, or if a steady state can be achieved by limiting the number of workers.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Other Tropico games had similar mechanics, but dropping that quickly is loving insane. In contrast, I made a tobacco farm with the efficiency upgrade that degrades soil quality over time during the colonial era one game, and by the modern era the location bonus had only gone down ten points.

Factory Farms don't care about soil quality, as they consume Corn instead of the animals grazing; given how fast soil quality degrades, that's probably to their benefit. More importantly, they produce twice as many units per effectiveness, and each unit of output consumes 0.5 units of corn, so even when you add in the additional corn farms, the number of units produced per worker should be neutral. Since corn farms don't degrade soil quality, and given that they get the awesome Selective Breeding upgrade, Factory Farms are almost definitely superior. They also get the Vaccination upgrade, though that's of questionable value. I realize, now that I've typed that, that the conclusion that the more technologically advanced farm is better is probably incredibly obvious even without the numbers :downs:.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wallet posted:

I realize, now that I've typed that, that the conclusion that the more technologically advanced farm is better is probably incredibly obvious even without the numbers :downs:.

It's only better if you can keep it supplied with corn, though. I usually end up having to import the stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unfortunately that leaves it to the mercy of the teamsters. Personally I like to keep the old ranches. Tropico is for free range animals, free range crops and limited free range tropicans.

I really hope they'll optimize the game to run better in a patch. At least a little. My computer is better than what's recommended but it handles 1000 pop Tropico 5 worse than 1000 pop Tropico 4 despite lower graphics settings. :(

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just treat ranches as manure sources that donate effectiveness to surrounding plantations and do a lot to increase food happiness through variety.

Has anyone worked out the footprints and ranges on Sugar and Cattle Ranch's adjacency effectiveness bonuses? Like does it count distance from any part of the plantation to the ranch or just the building in the bottom right of the plantation that becomes the hydroponics building later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Poil posted:

Unfortunately that leaves it to the mercy of the teamsters. Personally I like to keep the old ranches. Tropico is for free range animals, free range crops and limited free range tropicans.

Much like Tropico 4, it seems like the biggest issue with Teamsters is that they often deliver poo poo and then lose their car, which leaves them driving to a dock to drop stuff off and then walking all the way back to where they work. If your teamsters seem to be taking forever to move poo poo right near their office, this is probably why. I'm not sure why the developers didn't bother to fix the teamsters being so lazy that they ship their car full of produce to another country instead of unloading it.

It seems like a similar thing is causing the shack issues which are still around. Immigrants in particular will come to the island, find a job, and then plop down a shack during their six month trek across the island rather than sleeping in the affordable housing they're camping next to, as the housing isn't close enough to where they work. On the plus side, every job except hauling and building seems to ignore the location of the worker assigned to it, since farms will still produce full output despite being staffed by people who have never actually been there.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread