Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
HWiNFO64 (or x32) will show VRM temperatures. GPU-Z should also have a readout if it supports the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, picked up a "cheap" radiator, from one of these

also getting a H.A.F squarish case, I should have got a workbench case years ago, but there was always something else to get.

HAF has a bunch of fans I can cannibalise for the rad, next, a cheap aquarium or whatever water pump, borosillicate glass and a blowtorch.

staberind fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It's the late 90s again!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

deimos posted:

It's the late 90s again!

In a few years we'll be hitting VapoChill and Prometia in their stride once again!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I could have sworn I read that 780tis didn't have a vrm thermometer, but I hope I'm just wrong about that.

Only reason I didn't check myself is I'm out of town, so thanks for the info that's preferable to say the least

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah yeah, I am making a very 90's cooling system, I hope its offensive and brutal, on the other hand, I did pick up an intel clc, to use as a "control", if my frankencooler can maintain cooling of just the cpu, I am happy, but I am overbuilding the cooling to do memory and gpu as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

staberind posted:

Yeah yeah, I am making a very 90's cooling system, I hope its offensive and brutal, on the other hand, I did pick up an intel clc, to use as a "control", if my frankencooler can maintain cooling of just the cpu, I am happy, but I am overbuilding the cooling to do memory and gpu as well.

Sigh...

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I always wanted to use a tiny radiator or heater core or something. They can be almost essentially free and the capacity rivals even the largest (and expensive) radiators.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

staberind posted:

Watercooling memory...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So Intel's Devil's Canyon CPUs for overclockers are launching tomorrow, including the Core i7 4790K and the Core i5 4690K. Leaks ahead of embargo seem to confirm that rumors of 4.0Ghz base frequency and 4.4Ghz were true, and Kyle at HardOCP hinted we can look forward to 5Ghz overclocks (though people said that about Haswell too). Interestingly, photos of the back of the CPU show significant changes to the SMD power delivery component layout versus Haswell or even Haswell-Refresh processors, suggesting more changes than simple packaging improvements and more heavily binned CPUs. I wonder if there's a different silicon stepping too?

Alereon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 3, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Alereon posted:

So Intel's Devil's Canyon CPUs for overclockers are launching tomorrow, including the Core i7 4790K and the Core i5 4690K. Leaks ahead of embargo seem to confirm that rumors of 4.0Ghz base frequency and 4.4Ghz were true, and Kyle at HardOCP hinted we can look forward to 5Ghz overclocks (though people said that about Haswell too). Interestingly, photos of the back of the CPU show significant changes to the SMD power delivery component layout versus Haswell or even Haswell-Refresh processors, suggesting more changes than simple packaging improvements and more heavily binned CPUs. I wonder if there's a different silicon stepping too?

This was the impression I got when I first read the clock speed leak. Based on the fact that a 4.4 turbo factory speed with a TDP just 4 watts over the 4770k, this might imply actual changes. There were some people who could barely get their 4770k stable at 4.4 ghz at any voltage. Then there were those who could get closer to 5.0 ghz.

Would be nice if they took the "silicon lottery" part out of it, by whatever means. It would also make the i7 appealing for reasons other than hyperthreading. And if this was true, it would also mean my bank account is about to suffer some more.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Alereon posted:

Interestingly, photos of the back of the CPU show significant changes to the SMD power delivery component layout versus Haswell or even Haswell-Refresh processors, suggesting more changes than simple packaging improvements and more heavily binned CPUs. I wonder if there's a different silicon stepping too?
The differences in detail:

From what I understand, Devil's Canyon chips are already cherry-picked by Intel to remove the lottery element.

Alereon posted:

I wonder if there's a different silicon stepping too?
Chinese VR-Zone got hold of test samples and the stepping is unchanged, though this could be because of engineering samples / CPU-Z not recognizing the difference. Maybe.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm sure those who care about this thread have seen the 5.5 GHz tweet already, and I'm getting terrible nasty thoughts about my own (stellar in its own right) 3770k in the back of my head, ew.

Given decisions between motherboards on par with ROG fanciness, do the VRM configurations available on ATX size boards still make a max clock difference compared to smaller form factors?

Or is the only difference nowadays between ATX and stuff like Mini ITX just case airflow? I ask because I was dumb enough to buy an mATX case for my mATX system.

in other words do I want 12 or 16 or 20 phases for that leet stylin 6 ghz to satisfy my manchild

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 4, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm sure those who care about this thread have seen the 5.5 GHz tweet already, and I'm getting terrible nasty thoughts about my own (stellar in its own right) 3770k in the back of my head, ew.

Given decisions between motherboards on par with ROG fanciness, do the VRM configurations available on ATX size boards still make a max clock difference compared to smaller form factors?

Or is the only difference nowadays between ATX and stuff like Mini ITX just case airflow? I ask because I was dumb enough to buy an mATX case for my mATX system.

in other words do I want 12 or 16 or 20 phases for that leet stylin 6 ghz to satisfy my manchild

matx cases can have just fine airflow. so can ITX.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Unless you're doing LN2 or phase-change benchmarking runs you don't need anything more than 8 to 12.

I kind of want to buy one of the unlocked (!!) G3258 Pentiums when they come out. Should be interesting chips if they're loosely binned at all.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Watercooling memory...

The changes in voltage should not really be enough to cause an appreciable effect, its more for the "can this be done?" cheese factor.

That's the same reason people climb Everest, fake moon landings and have breast implants.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

staberind posted:

The changes in voltage should not really be enough to cause an appreciable effect, its more for the "can this be done?" cheese factor.

That's the same reason people climb Everest, fake moon landings and have breast implants.

This always made me laugh a little

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Guh loving socket everything. socket the GPU, socket main memory and stick some traditional heatsinks or waterblocks on them.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ignoarints posted:

This always made me laugh a little

Thats what I am talking about, tell me that's an April 1st image, please!?

Alternately, why not just submerge everything in mineral oil or whatever, I have seen it done.
Iirc, the only problem they had was oil siphoning out through the attached cabling.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Must be in serious demand as they're all sold out from NewEgg.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

staberind posted:

Thats what I am talking about, tell me that's an April 1st image, please!?

Alternately, why not just submerge everything in mineral oil or whatever, I have seen it done.
Iirc, the only problem they had was oil siphoning out through the attached cabling.

Its a nitrogen block, so it will be way colder but... obviously totally useless for actual computer use. Dyno queen

edit: wow I just saw my renters insurance covers accidental damage to my PC up to $3000 with a $250 deductible. So if I burn out my GPU or CPU somehow I might accidentally throw my computer down the stairs :angel:

i know this is insurance fraud

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

staberind posted:

Oil, pfft. Get with the times, nowadays all the cool kids are using Novec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIbnl3Pj15w

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Welmu posted:

Oil, pfft. Get with the times, nowadays all the coostinking rich kids are using Novec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIbnl3Pj15w

Fixed that, have you seen at the price-per-gallon of that poo poo?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why isn't Novec cooling liquid used in data centers? seems like it would save a lot of power and allow for smaller footprints? Whats the major draw back besides the cost of the liquid and change in design and maintenance? Don't the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ErbZtpL88

edit: answered my own question

quote:

I've used the original 3M solution.
The end result is the cost and need to keep a sealed hermetic environment does not outweigh the benefits. Ultimately air cooled servers are more efficient and use less space in 1U rackmount configurations without the need for a condenser. Increasingly, for overclockers, it serves less purpose as it is not a good working fluid, and is prone to gelling. So you get water results at many times the price, difficulty, and encumberance.

It's fun and a cool idea. But also, insulation for sub zero methodologies has progressed incredibly in the last five years. Insulation is simple and does not place permanent marks upon motherboards and rarely results in damage with minimal preparation, something far from this configuration.

Sure is the power recoup nice? If you can produce high enough pressures for a regenerator, yes. Is it viable? Not really.
Also the fluid is often used with masks, as the effects of the fluoroether long term on lung tissue is not yet known or tested.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

deimos posted:

Fixed that, have you seen at the price-per-gallon of that poo poo?

Only $330

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Why isn't Novec cooling liquid used in data centers? seems like it would save a lot of power and allow for smaller footprints? Whats the major draw back besides the cost of the liquid and change in design and maintenance? Don't the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

Yes but I'm sure its a matter of cost to implement it over existing systems. As far as I know it's so new that only one company is providing actual servers designed to use it, with something like 2 or 3 small time customers so far.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Oil is waaaaaaay cheaper. (And it's being used already, TSUBAME is oil cooled.)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't have much experience with data centers, however, I've helped change rackmounts at Telehouse, its the London gateway between Europe and the US, so basically where all the uk isp's rent their server space. comparing the two, I can see the attraction of submersive cooling; despite the air getting changed roughly 12 times a minute, its full of microscopic swarf, it coats everything, even with filters.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

I'm starting to put together what I need to watercool my 780ti with the NZXT G10 bracket. I am concerned about the VRM's. From my quick look, they appear to have a separate metal heatsink as opposed to a bare board. Which is nice, if it's sufficient.

I'd like to measure the temperatures before and during the changes. However I've never used a IR thermometer with any degree of accuracy as to what I was pointing at. Ideally I'd like a FLIR style image, but unless I'm mistaken getting something with that capability is very cost prohibitive.

Are there any thermometers that are better than others for this? Or well liked for this use?

My tentative plan is:

1) On stock bios, stock cooler with max overclock, measure temperature of VRM's during gaming and synthetics
2) On stock bios, but watercooled with G10 bracket, measure VRM's during gaming and synthetics
3) On stock bios, but then with additional manual overclock with the huge watercooling advantage, test VRM's
4) On modded bios, test VRM temperatures. Settings may have to be underclocked to account for a huge bump in boost logic at this point.
5) On modded bios, find stable highest new overclock, test VRM's again

I don't know what the best tool to use for this is though

this is funny to me because I just got a nzxt g10 for my 780, along with handheld flir cam through work and it owns

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

right arm posted:

this is funny to me because I just got a nzxt g10 for my 780, along with handheld flir cam through work and it owns

Jealous as hell. The pictures from people using those seem so informative. I'm just going to go ahead and put little heatsinks on everything though

It's funny to me how I don't remember making that post at all. I was literally sleep typing or something.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

Jealous as hell. The pictures from people using those seem so informative. I'm just going to go ahead and put little heatsinks on everything though

It's funny to me how I don't remember making that post at all. I was literally sleep typing or something.

all I've used mine for so far is locating my cats at night and looking at footsteps

it's real cool

also, the g10 is great. perfectly quiet on my asus 780 and like 10° cooler under load and over clocked with zero fan noise. worthwhile investment imho

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I am rebuilding the 290 hopefully on Saturday, so I should have potato pics for you Igno.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

I am rebuilding the 290 hopefully on Saturday, so I should have potato pics for you Igno.

sweet!

right arm posted:

all I've used mine for so far is locating my cats at night and looking at footsteps

it's real cool

also, the g10 is great. perfectly quiet on my asus 780 and like 10° cooler under load and over clocked with zero fan noise. worthwhile investment imho

I want some of that action

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ignoarints posted:

I want some of that action
What's the hot area? VRMs?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the hot area? VRMs?

Yeah, with a synthetic load with the water cooling bracket. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NZXT-Kraken-G10-Review-527/

TL:DR picture version:

Stock Titan full game load-

G10 bracket full game load-

The watercooler actually reduces the temperature of the whole board, which is awesome. The heat from the GPU isn't soaking into the rest of the components (I'm guessing, but that's rad)

However things takes a turn

Stock Titan Furmark-

G10 bracket Furmark

The VRM's heat overcomes the bracket's ability to remove it and gets kind of way too hot for comfort. That is for Furmark which is unrealistic, however the whole point of the bracket (for me) is to overclock it. Hopefully heatsinks will delay that threshold. But there is no real way for me to know I think :/

I'm also pretty surprised the memory gets that hot but I don't know how hot they are able to get either.

edit: Well, I didn't think about how wide the VRM heat zone is, maybe a cheapo IR thermometer will give me suitable numbers to at least know if im in the danger zone

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 6, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
What beautiful photos, showing the problem with water cooling.

Sure the core is cool as a cucumber, but without airflow over the rest of the components, look at how hot the board gets. :supaburn:

I bet a low RPM 120mm fan would give the card enough airflow to help a lot.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

SocketSeven posted:

What beautiful photos, showing the problem with water cooling.

Sure the core is cool as a cucumber, but without airflow over the rest of the components, look at how hot the board gets. :supaburn:

I bet a low RPM 120mm fan would give the card enough airflow to help a lot.

Yeah it was exactly what I was looking for. Keep in mind though the GPU dropped by something like 40 degrees C and realistically the whole card really was cooler under a game load. But I can't assume they'll all be like that, especially when overclocked. If anything its a real case for a waterblock but that's a serious expense... but I'm sure thermal pictures of it would be mouth watering.

It's just a bit uncomfortable knowing that the heat can runaway like that. Hopefully a IR thermometer does the trick for me

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does an epoxied mini heatsink really do anything compared to just a fan? How about when there's always a fan and bare ICs vs mini heatsinks?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Does an epoxied mini heatsink really do anything compared to just a fan? How about when there's always a fan and bare ICs vs mini heatsinks?

Yes.

I've done several things to cool the VRM banks on my 290.

Running OCCT (with framerate unlocked) my time to 105°C is as follows (with ambients around 32-34°C):
Bare chips: 30-35 seconds
Custom milled copper bar with Aluminum fins epoxied: 120-140 seconds
Bottom bracket of the stock cooler with the vapor chamber removed: ~180 seconds (I didn't test this more than once because I was only testing for clearance to the G10)
Bottom bracket of the stock cooler with the vapor chamber removed and Aluminum fins soldered: more minutes than I'd care to test.

All of the tests were done using 1mm thick thermal pad (to electrically insulate the VRMs from the heatsinks).

Keep in mind that the VRAM chips that were cooled with independent copper heatsinks on the first 2 tests are cooled with the bottom bracket on the last 2.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Yes.

I've done several things to cool the VRM banks on my 290.

Running OCCT (with framerate unlocked) my time to 105°C is as follows (with ambients around 32-34°C):
Bare chips: 30-35 seconds
Custom milled copper bar with Aluminum fins epoxied: 120-140 seconds
Bottom bracket of the stock cooler with the vapor chamber removed: ~180 seconds (I didn't test this more than once because I was only testing for clearance to the G10)
Bottom bracket of the stock cooler with the vapor chamber removed and Aluminum fins soldered: more minutes than I'd care to test.

All of the tests were done using 1mm thick thermal pad (to electrically insulate the VRMs from the heatsinks).

Keep in mind that the VRAM chips that were cooled with independent copper heatsinks on the first 2 tests are cooled with the bottom bracket on the last 2.

Nice man. I'm hoping off the shelf copper heat sinks will cut it for me. I wish I could go that far though. Any recommendations on thermal pads because I've read quite a few reports of them just falling off with what comes with them. Although they are often countered by people saying they didn't do it right. Last thing I'd want is one falling off without me knowing and I actually was running too hot since I don't have a way to monitor vrm temp