Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mill Village posted:

Last night I found out if you are in first place when the Blue Shell comes out and go down to a lower position before it gets to you, it still hits you anyway.

I've successfully got it to target someone else by braking and dropping back to second. Maybe you left it too late and it was already locked onto you?

Also:

Shy Guys don't look at explosions :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

deafmute posted:

For me they were the last ones unlocked(Peach first, Metal Mario last), every other character was random order though

I have unlocked like 6 characters so far and metal Peach/Mario are two of them.

Dynastesaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Look at that Roy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6NitHqVDEM

What an rear end in a top hat. :c00l:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Augh, spent a few hours getting reamed online (well, finishing near the middle) and finally started to get into a groove, working up to 4th... 3rd... finally looked as if I was going to snipe a 1st place finish by mushrooming ahead of two others right before the finish line, only to look down at the gamepad and see that I finished 1st6th? I sure wish that wasn't a thing, but what can you do?

Also, I was reliably falling through the wavy area of Bowser's Castle last night if I drifted it. Like clipped right through it. Of course, that was also online, and I'm attributing both cases to what are probably some pretty busy servers.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 2, 2014

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I really enjoy the feel of racing with Pink Gold Peach but there's something about Iggy that is just so hilarious. I don't know that I'll be able to use anyone else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I can't stop racing as Iggy and Ludwing, I just love the expressions. Luigi and Waluigi are great too. :haw:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh man I found the biggest shortcut ever on rainbow road (new).

When you get done with the red/green lanes take the left path, on the very first turn just adjust yourself slightly then fly off the ledge. You land on the other road by a spinner for antigrav, hit it and keep going off the road to land back on the original path, jump off that road and you land back on road 2 and you're at the finish line early.

I wish I could get a good video of it.

Huge shortcuts is a staple of rainbow road :)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Biggest shortcut ever? I'm sorry, but nothing will top Rainbow Road 64 shortcut. :colbert:

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Frantic mode is the one true Mario Kart 8 mode. Everything else is just for babies.

There's always full rooms on custom Frantic 150 cc so others probably agree.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Played a bit of random online last night and enjoying it so far, hopefully gonna play some with goons after work tonight. This game has been worth every penny so far.

Saw the strangest thing, though. On N64 Rainbow Road, at one point literally half the pack just all swerved to the right and off the course just after the first 'lap' marker and I instantly jumped from 9th to 3rd. These were all humans too, not bots :psyduck:

Also got a Crazy 8 in Second Place :woop:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 2, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dishwasher posted:

Frantic mode is the one true Mario Kart 8 mode. Everything else is just for babies.

There's always full rooms on custom Frantic 150 cc so others probably agree.

Yeah, I'd enjoy it if the Goonvitational changed over to Frantic items personally. It ain't Mario Kart until items are flying everywhere.

However, last night on normal items I got a star in second place :stare:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Once everything is broken, only then will everything be truly balanced.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYl1BcnSJzk

Mario Kart 8: The Movie

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

deadwing posted:

Yeah, I'd enjoy it if the Goonvitational changed over to Frantic items personally. It ain't Mario Kart until items are flying everywhere.

However, last night on normal items I got a star in second place :stare:

I would also like if it got changed to Frantic. If you haven't tried frantic items, do so. I once got the 8 in second place (with normal item rules.)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend and I tried Frantic in VS and were overall much more pleased by items. As it is right now, all you ever get are the mundanes unless you're lucky as gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I get hit with enough poo poo as it is in 12 player online races that I'm pretty happy with the item balance.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PantsBandit posted:

I get hit with enough poo poo as it is in 12 player online races that I'm pretty happy with the item balance.

When I play it seems like 1-5 get most items and 7-12 mainly get mushrooms and green shells.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Spacebump posted:

When I play it seems like 1-5 get most items and 7-12 mainly get mushrooms and green shells.

As a 7-12 racer I can confirm that. I got a golden shroom once.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ahahaha, towards the end I was thinking "how can this POSSIBLY be Mario Kart related when there's only 4 seconds left?" and then... that ending. Thank you :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone had any luck online with high acceleration set ups? I had a pretty solid win record in MK7/Wii with them but I started playing online today and I've only won maybe 20-30% of my races. I guess I should try out something more speed focused but Toad in the buggybud is adorable and I never want to change

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly think speed is the king online. The goal is to get as much top speed as you can handle while still being able to do sharp turns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone had any luck online with high acceleration set ups? I had a pretty solid win record in MK7/Wii with them but I started playing online today and I've only won maybe 20-30% of my races. I guess I should try out something more speed focused but Toad in the buggybud is adorable and I never want to change

Heavy racers are always the pro setup. If you're running light, you're kinda playing on easy. It makes it easier to recover from mistakes, but you won't be able to beat a heavy racer who didn't make mistakes in the first place. Items mix things up, but still.

I've found that racing pretty well balanced stats all around is generally best, but you want to favor top speed some over acceleration if you're getting good at the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Heavy racers are always the pro setup. If you're running light, you're kinda playing on easy. It makes it easier to recover from mistakes, but you won't be able to beat a heavy racer who didn't make mistakes in the first place. Items mix things up, but still.

I've found that racing pretty well balanced stats all around is generally best, but you want to favor top speed some over acceleration if you're getting good at the game.

I think I'm a pretty good driver, the reason I've always liked high acceleration is I can get going again faster if I get hit by a blue shell. (And I like using Toad) But yeah I'm finding here that if I'm not the one that gets out in front early on I can't catch up to someone good playing as Morton or Rosalina or whatever. Acceleration always worked out great for me online in the other games but maybe it's time to switch it up.

I guess I always figured heavy racers were better suited for time trials since you don't have to worry about items. The handling isn't the issue, I just hate how slow they are after you get hit.

Yeah I guess I'll try out some different combinations and see if I can find a balance that I like.
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 2, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I'm a pretty good driver, the reason I've always liked high acceleration is I can get going again faster if I get hit by a blue shell. (And I like using Toad) But yeah I'm finding here that if I'm not the one that gets out in front early on I can't catch up to someone good playing as Morton or Rosalina or whatever. Acceleration always worked out great for me online in the other games but maybe it's time to switch it up.

I guess I always figured heavy racers were better suited for time trials since you don't have to worry about items. The handling isn't the issue, I just hate how slow they are after you get hit.

You can always use different carts / wheels to make a light racer heavier or a heavy racer accel faster, so you can try to find a medium that works well for you. Or maybe just a medium weight racer to begin with.

I've always liked medium racers in past MK games, but in this one I'm favoring heavy racers more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've just destroyed 150cc on my first time round through the game... It's really easy compared to MK7.

Also why the hell is N64 rainbow road only 1 lap?

Online it is?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

In many of the previous karts, I was all about light characters and acceleration. In 8, I can't stop grabbing a heavy character, putting them in the mach 8 with cyber slicks and just sliding all over the road like a coked-out Zamboni driver.

Traction is my dump stat now.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I've just destroyed 150cc on my first time round through the game... It's really easy compared to MK7.

Online it is?

Try your hand at the goon server. I played a ton of MK Wii and thought I was hot poo poo until I went in there. Also yeah, I used to be a big fan of the middleweights like Toad/Yoshi, but in this game I've been rocking Donkey Kong. The speed stat really does make a big difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Online it is?

Go online, you'll get your rear end handed to you.

And to be honest, N64 Rainbow Road took loving forever. It was slow as gently caress.

1 lap does feel a little short though, I'd go for 2 laps. But right now courses are either 1 lap (3 checkpoints) or 3 laps. It'd have to be the first 2 lap course.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

High-acceleration characters might be better if you're playing in frantic mode, maybe?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zaphod42 posted:

Go online, you'll get your rear end handed to you.

And to be honest, N64 Rainbow Road took loving forever. It was slow as gently caress.

1 lap does feel a little short though, I'd go for 2 laps. But right now courses are either 1 lap (3 checkpoints) or 3 laps. It'd have to be the first 2 lap course.

Wario Colosseum already did it, but I get that. It just doesn't feel that epic for lack of a better word.

And wow Goon league is good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can you set up frantic mode in local multiplayer?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can you set up frantic mode in local multiplayer?

Yeah, it's an available setting for items in Versus/Battle mode. You just can't change settings for grand prix.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't remember how I got suckered in to a 50cc N64 Rainbow Road race one time, but watching paint dry was sounding pretty drat good by lap three.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'm really disappointed other people can't hear Wario's fart horn online. What a waste.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I've been consistently in the winning - top 5 and often 1, 2 or 3 with Baby Rosalina. I just find the idea of a baby version of her hilarious. I love Waluigi, but I'm having more success with consistency with her while with Waluigi it's 1st 5th 10th or 12th

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Who of King Koopa's children would rule the Mushroom Kingdom in his absence?

While King “Bowser” Koopa would make for a spectacular leader and hero of the people, one really has to consider what will happen when the time comes that he passes away. I have already begun petitions and a Kickstarter to prevent Bowser Jr. from claiming the throne in his absence. All seven of his older siblings would be infinitely more qualified than him. The next youngest Koopa, Larry, while still only being a child, has much more experience than him. Morton Jr. of the Donut Plains and Desert Hill has had experience in harsh climates. Wendy O. Koopa is the only female heir to the throne and possesses the necessary charisma to lead a nation. Iggy Koopa is the brainiest of the bunch, and while some would go so far as to call him a “nerd”, he would still be an excellent leader. Roy Koopa is the biggest and brawniest, and would be one of my personal choices for the next in line for succession. Lemmy Koopa, despite his small size and childish nature, is the second oldest, and while his carefree and laidback attitude may not suit a king, he’s certainly a better choice than Bowser Jr. Finally, we come to Ludwig von Koopa, the oldest of the Koopalings, who is the smartest and even composes his own music.

I would say that Ludwig is the most qualified. While Ludwig is arrogant and presumptuous, he is still the oldest and most experienced out of all the ‘Koopalings’. He also possesses a magnificent intelligence, superior to that of his siblings and father. Ludwig von Koopa used to be King Bowser’s second in command until Bowser Jr. came along. Why King Bowser would abandon Ludwig, his most trusted advisor and eldest son, in favor of this newly hatched Koopa is beyond me.

The next Koopa in line would be Roy Koopa. Roy is the bulkiest and most tough out of all the ‘Koopalings’, and I think he would make for a great general. For those of you who don’t know, Roy has a pink shell and typically wears sunglasses. In my books, this cements him as an all-around “cool guy”. I haven’t known that many people in my life named Roy, so whenever I do meet someone named Roy, it instantly reminds me of this Koopa. Is he more qualified than Ludwig? No, I don’t think so, but this is only a “what-if” scenario.

The next in line is Iggy Koopa. I should note that Lemmy Koopa is older than both Roy and Iggy, but I don’t think he’s qualified for a leadership position because of his childishness. Anyways, Iggy is very mechanically talented, and while not as bright as his older brother Ludwig, he still possesses an unusually gifted mind for a Koopa. I think his assets would benefit him and the kingdom most by him serving as an advisor, or on a proposed "Koopa Kouncil". He would also be a great inventor.

This childish son of Bowser was named after the Motorhead guitarist and singer Lemmy Kilmister. Unfortunately for us, Lemmy Koopa does not share the same facial hair as the Motorhead Lemmy, but has a tuft of rainbow hair on top of his head. Lemmy Koopa is also often seen trying to balance on top of a green ball with a star on it, despite being the second oldest of the Koopa children. You’ll notice that I don’t nominate Lemmy Koopa for a position in the proposed "Koopa Kouncil" – that’s because he spends most of his time trying to balance on a ball, like a child. As you can see for yourself, he is not fit to lead a kingdom. The only scenario where I can see Lemmy Koopa taking over King Koopa’s position is if the only other option is Bowser Jr. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Bowser Jr. is simply not fit to rule the Mushroom Kingdom and I don’t understand what King Koopa sees in him, or why he spawned an eighth hatchling.

Truthfully, there is not a whole lot to say about Morton Jr. – he has a grey shell and a grey and white scar-like feature on his head. He rules over the Donut Plains and the Desert Hill. One interesting observation I’ve made is that in both his appearances, Morton is the boss of the second world. What does this mean? I don’t think it means anything, to be honest. It means whatever you want it to mean.

Wendy is King Morton’s only female child, and the only one with a middle name. What does the “O” stand for? Microsoft Bing is a great social media search engine and one thing I love about it in particular is that the commercial for it features a dubstep song. Dubstep doesn’t have much to do with Wendy O. Koopa, however, so I’d like to get back on topic, and I would like to apologize to the reader for going off on a tangent about dubstep. I promise that it won’t happen again, and my deepest condolences go out to you, the reader. Anyways, Wendy O. Koopa sports a pink bow and lipstick.

Larry Koopa… what a concept. Larry Koopa is the youngest of the original seven Koopa children. For a long time, I argued this was not the case, and that Lemmy was the youngest (he certainly acts it!). However, after doing a bit of research on various Mario information websites and databases, I discovered that Larry Koopa was indeed the youngest, canonically. I was resistant to accept this as fact at first, but what’s canon is canon. His characteristics include being the youngest, and having a blue tuft of hair. He is the last boss you fight before King Bowser’s Klown Kopter in Super Mario World. Larry is also the first boss in Super Mario Brothers 3. I also happen to have a cousin named Larry, but he does not have anything in common with King Bowser’s children.

The infamous "Bowser Jr." as made famous by Mario Party. Apparently Shigeru Miyamoto has released a statement saying that the Koopa Kids are not Bowser's children. Who the gently caress do you think you are? What's bullshit is that Mr. Miyamoto thinks he can get away with retconning established Mario lore. What game is Bowser Jr. even from? Well, I'll tell you - it's all the loving new Mario games and they are not paying respect, to the classic Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World. Can't believe the poo poo Shiggy thinks he can get away with… I heard Skyward Sword sucked a big one and it doesn’t suprirse me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Who of King Koopa's children would rule the Mushroom Kingdom in his absence?

While King “Bowser” Koopa would make for a spectacular leader and hero of the people, one really has to consider what will happen when the time comes that he passes away. I have already begun petitions and a Kickstarter to prevent Bowser Jr. from claiming the throne in his absence. All seven of his older siblings would be infinitely more qualified than him. The next youngest Koopa, Larry, while still only being a child, has much more experience than him. Morton Jr. of the Donut Plains and Desert Hill has had experience in harsh climates. Wendy O. Koopa is the only female heir to the throne and possesses the necessary charisma to lead a nation. Iggy Koopa is the brainiest of the bunch, and while some would go so far as to call him a “nerd”, he would still be an excellent leader. Roy Koopa is the biggest and brawniest, and would be one of my personal choices for the next in line for succession. Lemmy Koopa, despite his small size and childish nature, is the second oldest, and while his carefree and laidback attitude may not suit a king, he’s certainly a better choice than Bowser Jr. Finally, we come to Ludwig von Koopa, the oldest of the Koopalings, who is the smartest and even composes his own music.

I would say that Ludwig is the most qualified. While Ludwig is arrogant and presumptuous, he is still the oldest and most experienced out of all the ‘Koopalings’. He also possesses a magnificent intelligence, superior to that of his siblings and father. Ludwig von Koopa used to be King Bowser’s second in command until Bowser Jr. came along. Why King Bowser would abandon Ludwig, his most trusted advisor and eldest son, in favor of this newly hatched Koopa is beyond me.

The next Koopa in line would be Roy Koopa. Roy is the bulkiest and most tough out of all the ‘Koopalings’, and I think he would make for a great general. For those of you who don’t know, Roy has a pink shell and typically wears sunglasses. In my books, this cements him as an all-around “cool guy”. I haven’t known that many people in my life named Roy, so whenever I do meet someone named Roy, it instantly reminds me of this Koopa. Is he more qualified than Ludwig? No, I don’t think so, but this is only a “what-if” scenario.

The next in line is Iggy Koopa. I should note that Lemmy Koopa is older than both Roy and Iggy, but I don’t think he’s qualified for a leadership position because of his childishness. Anyways, Iggy is very mechanically talented, and while not as bright as his older brother Ludwig, he still possesses an unusually gifted mind for a Koopa. I think his assets would benefit him and the kingdom most by him serving as an advisor, or on a proposed "Koopa Kouncil". He would also be a great inventor.

This childish son of Bowser was named after the Motorhead guitarist and singer Lemmy Kilmister. Unfortunately for us, Lemmy Koopa does not share the same facial hair as the Motorhead Lemmy, but has a tuft of rainbow hair on top of his head. Lemmy Koopa is also often seen trying to balance on top of a green ball with a star on it, despite being the second oldest of the Koopa children. You’ll notice that I don’t nominate Lemmy Koopa for a position in the proposed "Koopa Kouncil" – that’s because he spends most of his time trying to balance on a ball, like a child. As you can see for yourself, he is not fit to lead a kingdom. The only scenario where I can see Lemmy Koopa taking over King Koopa’s position is if the only other option is Bowser Jr. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Bowser Jr. is simply not fit to rule the Mushroom Kingdom and I don’t understand what King Koopa sees in him, or why he spawned an eighth hatchling.

Truthfully, there is not a whole lot to say about Morton Jr. – he has a grey shell and a grey and white scar-like feature on his head. He rules over the Donut Plains and the Desert Hill. One interesting observation I’ve made is that in both his appearances, Morton is the boss of the second world. What does this mean? I don’t think it means anything, to be honest. It means whatever you want it to mean.

Wendy is King Morton’s only female child, and the only one with a middle name. What does the “O” stand for? Microsoft Bing is a great social media search engine and one thing I love about it in particular is that the commercial for it features a dubstep song. Dubstep doesn’t have much to do with Wendy O. Koopa, however, so I’d like to get back on topic, and I would like to apologize to the reader for going off on a tangent about dubstep. I promise that it won’t happen again, and my deepest condolences go out to you, the reader. Anyways, Wendy O. Koopa sports a pink bow and lipstick.

Larry Koopa… what a concept. Larry Koopa is the youngest of the original seven Koopa children. For a long time, I argued this was not the case, and that Lemmy was the youngest (he certainly acts it!). However, after doing a bit of research on various Mario information websites and databases, I discovered that Larry Koopa was indeed the youngest, canonically. I was resistant to accept this as fact at first, but what’s canon is canon. His characteristics include being the youngest, and having a blue tuft of hair. He is the last boss you fight before King Bowser’s Klown Kopter in Super Mario World. Larry is also the first boss in Super Mario Brothers 3. I also happen to have a cousin named Larry, but he does not have anything in common with King Bowser’s children.

The infamous "Bowser Jr." as made famous by Mario Party. Apparently Shigeru Miyamoto has released a statement saying that the Koopa Kids are not Bowser's children. Who the gently caress do you think you are? What's bullshit is that Mr. Miyamoto thinks he can get away with retconning established Mario lore. What game is Bowser Jr. even from? Well, I'll tell you - it's all the loving new Mario games and they are not paying respect, to the classic Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World. Can't believe the poo poo Shiggy thinks he can get away with… I heard Skyward Sword sucked a big one and it doesn’t suprirse me.

Where did this terrible fan fiction come from?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

bonzibuddy64 posted:

1,121 words about turtles

What the gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I would like to see Bowser Jr. in Mario Kart 8. Its kinda weird he's in Mario Golf but the Koopalings are in MK8. I love the koopalings though. Both should be able to co-exist.

Everybody's hoping for DLC characters though so we'll see. Bowser Jr, Dry Bones Bowser, and Dry Bones please...

Oh man, next major Nintendo game should be a game where you play as Bowser, and the koopalings declare war on Bowser for naming Bowser Jr. as Bowser Jr. You have to rampage through their fortresses across dinosaur land to beat each of the Koopalings and bring them back into your family. :3:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress am I reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Zaphod42 posted:

I would like to see Bowser Jr. in Mario Kart 8.

Don't make me sick. That character slot could go to Petey Piranha, King Boo, Dry Bones or any other character.

• Locked thread