Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I... actually didn't like the Globox levels that much. Especially the later ones.

Does this make me a monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/465552/mario-kart-8-boosts-uk-wii-u-hardware-sales-666/

quote:

The UK release of Mario Kart 8 helped boost weekly Wii U sales by 666 per cent.

Retail monitor Chart-Track said the game recorded the highest week one sales for any Wii U title since the console's November 2012 release and the second best launch in the series' history. Mario Kart 8 hardware bundles accounted for 82 per cent of weekly Wii U sales.

Zero surprise, but it's good to hear the good news coming out already. Might help convince more people to buy the best console of the last few years.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

EL BROMANCE posted:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/465552/mario-kart-8-boosts-uk-wii-u-hardware-sales-666/

Zero surprise, but it's good to hear the good news coming out already. Might help convince more people to buy the best console of the last few years.

I went and got the bundle from Gamestop after work the day it released and they had like two left. Other than Smash Bros I can't think of a series that would sell Wii U's better.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PantsBandit posted:

I went and got the bundle from Gamestop after work the day it released and they had like two left. Other than Smash Bros I can't think of a series that would sell Wii U's better.

-Animal Crossing
-Monster Hunter
-New Mario maybe?
-Zelda to an extent
-New Wii Sports

There are a few flagship franchises that can really drive sales but they need to come out early in the sales cycle to drive up hardware sales.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think a lot of those games, including Smash Brothers, are games that don't appeal to quite the same levels that Mario Kart does. *Everybody* has played a game in that series, but I bet if I ask a bunch of people who don't play much, they would know next to nothing about it. Heck, I had Melee on the GameCube and I barely remember it, I just know that is a particularly vocal community.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's a shame Club Nintendo is seeing so much action recently, considering there's nothing but abject trash available to order. A Yoshi's Island 3DS t-shirt is the "best" thing they have on there?

I have coins expiring at the end of the month but there's no way to see how many are expiring, so they sit and rot. Put up the SNES controller that works on the Wii or somethin'! :argh:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

It's a shame Club Nintendo is seeing so much action recently, considering there's nothing but abject trash available to order. A Yoshi's Island 3DS t-shirt is the "best" thing they have on there?

I have coins expiring at the end of the month but there's no way to see how many are expiring, so they sit and rot. Put up the SNES controller that works on the Wii or somethin'! :argh:

You can see how many coins you have expiring in your profile.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Uh, yes there is. Go to Account & Coins and click on Coins & Status.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I love how I got digital deluxe promo points for mario kart AND my free game. Basically only paid $45 for MK8.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

-Animal Crossing
-Monster Hunter
-New Mario maybe?
-Zelda to an extent
-New Wii Sports

There are a few flagship franchises that can really drive sales but they need to come out early in the sales cycle to drive up hardware sales.

Wii U has had two new Mario games, so obviously that sin't really helping much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Neither Super Metroid nor Kirby's Adventure are trash, and could always be traded/sold with somebody.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

axleblaze posted:

Wii U has had two new Mario games, so obviously that sin't really helping much.

That's why I added a "maybe?" at the end, but point being is that they have the capacity to push hardware as well as MK8 has.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

Neither Super Metroid nor Kirby's Adventure are trash, and could always be traded/sold with somebody.

Still have my Super Metroid SNES cart, and I bought Kirby's Adventure and I say it is trash for using the "3-d" enhanced nomenclature, suggesting it would be as awesome as Excitebike 3-d.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Everyone I know with a Wii U bought it for Monster Hunter. It'd be pretty rad if this sudden spike in sales led to MH4U coming out for the Wii U too instead of just the 3DS.

I'm pretty impressed by how much MK8 is driving sales. That free game deal even has me somewhat interested in it myself and I usually don't care for the franchise at all. Here's hoping the new Smash makes some waves too. Heck, and that Nintendo learns a thing or two and gets must-have titles ready for launch instead of years down the line.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wow

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is that good? That sounds good but with video game numbers I'm always wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is that good? That sounds good but with video game numbers I'm always wrong.

A million is typically a very good milestone but with the tiny as hell Wii U install base, it's pretty amazing.

I wonder if this includes digital downloads.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Pretty decent for the first few days, though of course those sales will need to keep going to reflect anything of the usual success seen with Mario Kart games. At the very least, I'm fairly certain that's quicker that how 3D world did.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wikipedia says at the end of March they had sold a little less than 7 million Wii U's, so it looks like 1 in every 7 or 8 Wii U owners own Mario Kart and it's been out less than a week. Not bad at all.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Kart was the first game I thought looked amazing for the Wii u. I bought the console at Christmas and the whole package with the free game really made it seem appealing. More than anything else Nintendo have done. People in work are talking about that game and had no interest in the Wii u as a whole previously.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Von Linus posted:

Kart was the first game I thought looked amazing for the Wii u. I bought the console at Christmas and the whole package with the free game really made it seem appealing. More than anything else Nintendo have done. People in work are talking about that game and had no interest in the Wii u as a whole previously.

Same here. I was talking to my coworker about it and my boss who never plays video games said he heard it was great and wanted to try it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
A Wii U Mario RPG would be nice, but if I remember right those are usually the worst selling Mario games.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Von Linus posted:

Its a shame that it might be the limits of the console's capacity, at least as far as Nintendo themselves can access it right now. They apparently had to turn off anti-aliasing to help reach 60 FPS, and of course it bumps down from that once you have three or more players at once.

That said, its charm is proving stronger than I thought. I actually ended up spending several hours today playing with both of my siblings, and we just had a whole bunch of fun. My brother hadn't even touched the thing prior to this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I am really not very good at Mario Kart.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:siren: Posting this here too :siren:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229600-mario-kart-8-glitch-bricking-systems

Reports are coming in about mario kart 8 somehow bricking systems, be careful!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:siren: Posting this here too :siren:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229600-mario-kart-8-glitch-bricking-systems

Reports are coming in about mario kart 8 somehow bricking systems, be careful!

I mean from the sound of it there's nothing you can really do at this point other than just not play Mario Kart, which I'm pretty sure is physically impossible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I mean from the sound of it there's nothing you can really do at this point other than just not play Mario Kart, which I'm pretty sure is physically impossible.

I haven't bought it yet. :ohdear:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Not to mention that it is just a rumor as far as I know. The game's success is ripe for someone to play a prank like this and I am not aware of any proof being shown yet.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I did have a bit during online play that caused the screen to go dark after a game for a few minutes, but when we went to turn it off it at the console it went straight to the Mario Kart 8 title screen. That's the closest thing we've seen to this and it didn't brick anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GreenNight posted:

A million is typically a very good milestone but with the tiny as hell Wii U install base, it's pretty amazing.

I wonder if this includes digital downloads.

A million isn't that good anymore. For your typical AAA game, selling 1.2 million in the first few days means that you've bombed hard since most people are budgeting for 4 to 5 million in sales these days and they make the vast majority of their sales in the first week. (Go ahead and insert a rant about feedback loops, negative incentives, and the current self-destructive nature of the video game industry here.)

But Nintendo isn't other publishers. They keep development budgets mostly under control (though not as well as they did before), don't go for the obscene marketing budgets, and their games usually sell long term rather than in one giant burst. The small Wii U install base means they have to be relatively satisfied with the results.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

*deleted*

After rereading what I quoted I realized that misread it originally.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it really depends. I think the new Tomb Raider sold over 3 million in it's first month, but Square considered it a falure because for some reason they were expecting something insane like 6 million.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This was also before they got a new CEO in Japan. The previous guy basically threw all their western stuff under the boss for the failure of FFXIV. Like whenever their fiscal year ended in 2013 and they had lost tons of money from FFXIV over the years his statements like, didn't even acknowledge FFXIV's disasterous launch and continuing failure to be a thing while instead blaming SquareEnix's entire situation solely on Eidos titles under-performing. It was awkward and way out of touch of him when the reality was that without Human Revolution/Hitman/Sleeping Dogs/Tomb Raider over those two years they might not even be making non-mobile games anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
MK8 is going to sell steadily over time, just like all Mario games. Check back in a year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A lot of games I wait on because I'll know they'll be half price or w/e in a year, but with loving Nintendo it's going to be $60 for the next 3-4 years so I might as well buy it now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I'm pretty sure MKWii was basically a good seller through most of the Wii's life (did someone here post saying that they bought a MKWii bundle last year?) I'm not going to claim that the system is saved or anything, but if they've hit 1.2m copies sold, I think that's pretty great for a WiiU game considering the low hardware sales compared to other consoles. Hopefully they can build on it. I'm sure the free game promotion is helping.

On that matter, I'm kinda torn between W101 and Pikmin 3. I've never played a Pikmin game, and I'm just not sure I'd really enjoy either. I already have Wind Waker and NSMBU, and again I'm not sure I'd be crazy about Monster Hunter. The only other option I really see there is Nintendo Land, which has a good reputation here but I could probably get it cheap enough anyway. Sonic: Lost World is pretty bad, right?

I guess I'm stressing over nothing, it's a free game after all, and I already have a ton of half-finished WiiU games so it'd just go to the back of the queue. :v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

irlZaphod posted:

On that matter, I'm kinda torn between W101 and Pikmin 3. I've never played a Pikmin game, and I'm just not sure I'd really enjoy either. I already have Wind Waker and NSMBU, and again I'm not sure I'd be crazy about Monster Hunter. The only other option I really see there is Nintendo Land, which has a good reputation here but I could probably get it cheap enough anyway. Sonic: Lost World is pretty bad, right?

I guess I'm stressing over nothing, it's a free game after all, and I already have a ton of half-finished WiiU games so it'd just go to the back of the queue. :v:

You can try out the W101 demo first, to see of you like it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
W101 is bizarre. I haven't played much of it but it's unlike any game I've ever played. In a good way.

I think Nintendo should 1 - extend the free game offer and 2 - offer it with every big release. It will drive sales of games and systems and a digital download is of negligible cost to them.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Being torn between W101 and Pikmin3 is a pretty good problem to have, both are great games and you might as well flip a coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd choose Pikmin 3 as W101 is pretty easy to buy for cheap.

• Locked thread