Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hezzy posted:

Well, it is Workington...

£42k a year and you could have your pick of any one eyed toothless hag there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Metrication posted:

Wish they would just take the Wimbledon loop into Overground and cut it off at Blackfriars.
If this is put back on the table, I hope they do a better job of selling Blackfriars as a terminus to loop residents.

Loop trains are always cancelled to maintain services on the mainline when things are going to poo poo and they are often left queuing outside Blackfriars during the rush hour. Imagine how much more hosed it will be when Thameslink is serving several more destinations. 'Get out while you can' would be a good slogan for the publicity work.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

If this is put back on the table, I hope they do a better job of selling Blackfriars as a terminus to loop residents.

Loop trains are always cancelled to maintain services on the mainline when things are going to poo poo and they are often left queuing outside Blackfriars during the rush hour. Imagine how much more hosed it will be when Thameslink is serving several more destinations. 'Get out while you can' would be a good slogan for the publicity work.

Also when it snows on the 60km of countryside track north of London the entire loop service collapses. They could probably run a slightly more frequent service as well.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Lofty132 posted:

£42k a year and you could have your pick of any one eyed toothless hag there.

Do you reckon they'll let me have the one with the peg leg?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hezzy posted:

Do you reckon they'll let me have the one with the peg leg?

Only if you know how to play Uppies and Downies.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

This is why the circle line is the first to go if there are any major problems on the Underground as you can reach your destination via other routes

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

It also goes to poo poo because the current arrangements at Blackfriars are considered "not operationally viable" by Network Rail but the DfT demanded they make the Wimbledon loop / Sevenoaks services cross over each other on a flat junction.

:ughh:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Trams are a bit like trains, aren't they?

I had just started my Masters when they began laying track for the Edinburgh trams. They launched as of Saturday, 5 years late, covering less than half the planned route and at twice the budget. In that timescale I've managed a PhD, I've moved countries twice, and watched the CERN-Bernex tram line which crosses two rivers, under an airport runway and over a village, get installed in Geneva in around a quarter of the time while remaining underbudget.

All of this is more than forgiven by this masterpiece up on the beeb:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I've just moved to Edinburgh at the start of May but knew about the tram debacle. It's a mess. Who is going to use them. What do trams give Edinburgh that they couldn't do before? Even with 3 lines, I fail to see how they really are better than the buses.

Am I missing something?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

I've just moved to Edinburgh at the start of May but knew about the tram debacle. It's a mess. Who is going to use them. What do trams give Edinburgh that they couldn't do before? Even with 3 lines, I fail to see how they really are better than the buses.

Am I missing something?

Prestige and having a big infrastructure project that the Council could gloat about mostly.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Trams are ace but Edinburgh council hosed up big time in their specs for the system because they managed to fail to account for how terrible most other utilities are at records keeping so were shocked to find electric cables and gas pipes under the road every 10m which they somehow agreed to reroute.

Good work, dildos.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I suppose it depends how direct the route is and how much quicker it is vs buses.

And if you have a Ridacard like I do then it's obviously more cost-effective compared to paying individual fares.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bozza posted:

Trams are ace but Edinburgh council hosed up big time in their specs for the system because they managed to fail to account for how terrible most other utilities are at records keeping so were shocked to find electric cables and gas pipes under the road every 10m which they somehow agreed to reroute.

Good work, dildos.

Signing up to a contract which was so one sided it would have enabled the contractors to build a £500million golden cock and get out with no challenge didn't help either.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

twoot posted:

Signing up to a contract which was so one sided it would have enabled the contractors to build a £500million golden cock and get out with no challenge didn't help either.
Was it stupidity or corruption on the council's part?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

coffeetable posted:

stupidity. the people appointed to manage had no substantial previous experience of large scale infrastructure projects.

i've left edinburgh years ago. so all you will have to enjoy the cleaner air, quieter streets and fast travel than a couple of bus routes without me.

how many years do people think it'll be before proposing an extension / finishing the thing won't be political suicide?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

coffeetable posted:

A bit of both as per normal. The contract has clauses which have made it nearly impossible to fight the contractors on their poor project management and quality of construction, to the point where if the Scottish government hadn't bailed out the project to allow it to complete to this stage then all the work would've had to be torn up and scrapped and the contractors would have faced pretty much no repercussions. The council was warned at the contracting phase that this would happen if they signed as-is and simply brushed it off.

There was also some degree of collusion between the Quantity surveyor firm and the Contractors to gently caress the Council out of more money, but I can't remember how exactly that played out.

There was a really good blog which documented all of the farce but I can't find it now.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cerv posted:

stupidity. the people appointed to manage had no substantial previous experience of large scale infrastructure projects.

i've left edinburgh years ago. so all you will have to enjoy the cleaner air, quieter streets and fast travel than a couple of bus routes without me.

how many years do people think it'll be before proposing an extension / finishing the thing won't be political suicide?

now, to be honest. loads of people are taking the position of "well it was a total shambles but they're here now and they're nice enough so we may as well make the most of it."

i think a lot will depend on what the first 3-6 months look like in terms of ridership and revenue - if it looks convincing they'll probably work out some way of funding it to leith.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
What's the value of tourism to Edinburgh? When I was in Edinburgh in April, I saw the trams being tested along Princes Street and as impressed as I was with Edinburgh buses, I would definitely have taken those trams. Something to be said for them alleviating traffic too I suppose.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Trams are great because they are more segregated than buses, take more of a priority over road traffic, and can travel at faster speeds (often on abandoned heavy rail lines).

Are trolley buses any good? There's occasional rumblings to bring them back to London, but New Bus for London seems to have killed that for now.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Metrication posted:

Trams are great because they are more segregated than buses, take more of a priority over road traffic, and can travel at faster speeds (often on abandoned heavy rail lines).

Are trolley buses any good? There's occasional rumblings to bring them back to London, but New Bus for London seems to have killed that for now.

Trolley buses are alright but they're a mess to wire electrically because you need two contact wires instead of one.

They had loads of them in Seattle and San Franscisco when I was there last year, which were p good even though people in the USA think you're odd if you use public transport. Trams are better imo because, as you say, they get traffic seperation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Trolley buses aren't that popular, mostly because you have to do most of the infrastructure spending of a full electrified tram line without a lot of the benefits.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bozza posted:

Trolley buses are alright but they're a mess to wire electrically because you need two contact wires instead of one.

They had loads of them in Seattle and San Franscisco when I was there last year, which were p good even though people in the USA think you're odd if you use public transport. Trams are better imo because, as you say, they get traffic seperation.

Geneva is frankly insane for this. They run a mixture of diesel and trolley buses on top of a tram network. In the city center that means many streets see all three so you have three sets of overhead lines on both sides of the road.

Works great though. CHF 2.50 for 60 minutes unrestricted travel on any of those plus boats and trains. You can get from one end of the city to the other easily in that time.

The Edinburgh trams are and have always been a great idea, but with only one line, and the fact that the bus is still faster from the airport, they made the worst possible start. Maybe in 20-30 years they'll have a decent network, but it's hard to build momentum from a bad start.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Metrication posted:

There are occasional rumblings about using trolley buses with batteries to reduce the amount of wiring that needs to be put up (and address concerns about them ruining views) and allow detours, but obviously the extra weight reduces efficiency and there's all sorts of worries about the massive disruption of putting up the wires and also the up-front expense. They're basically not quite good enough to justify the cost (although if the EU keep slapping London around about air quality that might change the equation a bit).

The other idea that sometimes rears it's head again is flywheel-powered buses with recharging being done at stops either through electrical pickups or through direct mechanical linkages. This neatly sidesteps a lot of problems with batteries (although they're heavier than comparable batteries they take up a lot less space) but the failure modes are... not fun and there are maintenance issues too.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Literally the only way we'll get trolleybuses back in London is if we enter some weird Super Mario Brothers Movie alternate universe and everything is electrically powered from above the road. Or someone murders Boris Johnson and the LTDA union heads over our appalling air quality in the city. But at the moment TfL are quite happy with the hybrid powered buses despite having to spend a shitload of money on Boris' vanity project bus rather than a bunch of perfectly adequate (and cheaper) Volvo B5LH / Enviro400s.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TfL have used the bizarre phrase "visual pollution" to reject trolley buses because of the overhead wires. Reducing deaths from air pollution takes a back seat to keeping Oxford St pretty.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Hong XiuQuan posted:

What's the value of tourism to Edinburgh?

a lot. just shy of £2billion annually

population doubles in august for the festival
most popular city in the UK after london for international associations hosting meetings (admittedly that is a distant second)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Cerv posted:

TfL have used the bizarre phrase "visual pollution" to reject trolley buses because of the overhead wires. Reducing deaths from air pollution takes a back seat to keeping Oxford St pretty.

Well you know I see where they're coming from it would look untidy if the roofline of Oxford Street was covered in crossing messy wires. I mean just imagine what that would look like.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cerv posted:

a lot. just shy of £2billion annually

population doubles in august for the festival
most popular city in the UK after london for international associations hosting meetings (admittedly that is a distant second)

If my wife was in a different PhD track in her department we'd be in in Edinburgh right now (from USA)!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cerv posted:

TfL have used the bizarre phrase "visual pollution" to reject trolley buses because of the overhead wires.

Which is odd given that literally no-one else in a position of planning authority in London gives the slightest poo poo about 'visual pollution'.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Today is International Level Crossings Awareness Day! http://www.ilcad.org/ILCAD-2014.html

Bozza :colbert:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I can't quite remember, are we still waiting for a level crossing effort post?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Estragon: I'm tired! Let's go.

Vladimir: We can't.

Estragon: Why not?

Vladimir: We're waiting for Bozza.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You work for Mr Bozza?

Yes, sir.

What do you do?

I mind his signal box, sir.

Is he good to you?

Yes, sir.

He doesn't ignore you?

No, sir.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

TNT & Colas are sort of bringing back the Travelling Post Office, and pretending it's a new exciting thing they've invented. http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/freight/single-view/view/colas-rail-and-tnt-tests-express-rail-logistics.html

Railway Gazette posted:

Colas Rail and TNT test express rail logistics
UK: On the night of June 4-5, Colas Rail and TNT Express operated a trial freight train from Rugby to London Euston, carrying express parcels and perishable products for distribution in central London.

Organised by consultancy Intermodality, the train was intended to demonstrate the feasibility of using rail for ‘high-speed, low-carbon deliveries into the heart of towns and cities’. The train was formed of former First Great Western motor-rail car carriers, which are suitable for carrying traffic in roll cages; these had previously been used for another trial with Stobart in 2012, delivering perishable food for six Sainsbury’s stores.

For the latest trial, TNT delivered the roll cages to Colas Rail's Rugby depot, where the transfer from road to rail took 20 min. After a 132 km trip, the train arrived at Euston at 02.38, and the goods were transhipped into a fleet of TNT electric and low-emission road vehicles in less than an hour.

Intermodality Director Nick Gallop, congratulated TNT, Colas Rail and Network Rail on a successful demonstration. ‘This trial more than ever has laid to rest the myths about rail freight and urban logistics: the train ran to time, achieved a faster transit than by road, used an otherwise deserted main line station as a freight interchange, and reduced emissions by at least two-thirds.’

TNT is understood to be looking at introducing a regular overnight service each way between London and Glasgow, avoiding the need to route traffic through its road distribution hub at Kingsbury. However, Network Rail has expressed concern that night operations at Euston might be difficult after 2016, when the station is due to be rebuilt to accommodate HS2 services.

Colas Rail has purchased 10 Class 60 diesel locomotives from DB Schenker Rail UK. Colas said the locomotives which Brush supplied to British Rail in the early 1990s are being upgraded by DB Schenker Rail’s Toton depot to the ‘Super 60’ specification that has ‘already proven highly successful’ at DB Schenker Rail.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

New consultation open on Crossrail 2 - https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/crossrail/june-2014/

they're going for the more expensive 'regional' option over the cheaper 'metro' option, which is nice.

this part is interesting, because I'd lol if after 30-odd years of work the final version of the "Chelesea-Hackney" line they decide on ends up not even going to Hackney.

quote:

Further work to reduce the overall cost of the scheme and to minimise environmental impacts during both construction and operation has resulted in a potential change to the proposal for Crossrail 2 in this area. Rather than the route splitting at Angel with one tunnel going via Dalston and the other via Hackney, a single route would continue as far as Stoke Newington or Clapton, at which point the line would split, with one branch towards Seven Sisters and New Southgate and the other towards Tottenham Hale and Hertford East. This is illustrated in the map above.

The revised proposal would result in either Dalston or Hackney being served by Crossrail 2, rather than both as consulted on in 2013. This would substantially reduce the cost of the scheme by around £1bn. It would also mean the corridor that was selected would be served by a higher frequency Crossrail 2 service as the service would no longer be split north of Angel.

This change would result in a new location for the tunnel portal to the south of Tottenham Hale, although the exact location has yet to be determined. Further engineering feasibility work is being carried out to review options for the tunnel portal and the impact this would have on the area required. Once the location has been agreed, further consultation with stakeholders and the public will be undertaken.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

New consultation open on Crossrail 2 - https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/crossrail/june-2014/

they're going for the more expensive 'regional' option over the cheaper 'metro' option, which is nice.

this part is interesting, because I'd lol if after 30-odd years of work the final version of the "Chelesea-Hackney" line they decide on ends up not even going to Hackney.

Well Overground has happened in the intervening time and I think they're going to be taking over the Lea Valley lines soon so Hackney and the area west of the Lea Valley are nowhere near as underserved by public transport as once they were, meaning Stoke Newington is now the big blank spot on the coverage map, so it makes sense.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

I like the option of "aah gently caress Chelsea/King's Road they don't need a station" though. Don't want poshos grubbing up the people's trains.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I like the option of "aah gently caress Chelsea/King's Road they don't need a station" though. Don't want poshos grubbing up the people's trains.

the objections that the line should go straight victoria to clapham are coming from the poshos. chelsea locals not wanting a station lowering the tone and bringing in more people from outside to shop on the king's rd and eating at the cafes / restaurants around there.
you don't have to worry about them "grubbing up the people's trains". they'll continue to get black cabs to & from the west end even with a direct line to tottenham court right on their doorstep.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I don't see why we should be spending billions on a rich man's toy when the money could be spent more wisely improving the already existing infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

I don't see why we should be spending billions on a rich man's toy when the money could be spent more wisely improving the already existing infrastructure.

CR2's main job is to take pressure off that existing infrastructure, particularly the massive bottleneck at Clapham Junction-Waterloo and the attendant overcrowding on Underground lines that pass through Waterloo. Everything else is just window-dressing.

• Locked thread