Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Hi, I'm still here, the part of Endikel's consciousness that doubts El exists.

I just wanted to make sure that we know that even in our most zealous of times, our belief is not 100% true.

Thanks, see you later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Crudus posted:

I just wanted to make sure that we know that even in our most zealous of times, our belief is not 100% true.

Thanks, see you later.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Crudus posted:

Thanks, see you later.

:hf:

1. B
2. H. "Who dares burn the temple of El?"
3. I.
We have been explicitly told by (probably) Melachim to keep our helmet on. Plus, as much it would help to break enemy morale, I don't think looking like a heathen cannibal is going to jive well with the 'champion of El' image we want to project.

I just really hope that we're killing the right people here, and if we're not, that yelling about the temple is enough to give them pause. I mean, they're clearly a bunch of dickheads who deserve killing, what with their entirely culturally acceptable burning and slave-taking, but what if they're not actually the ones who torched the temple? We could have some interesting local political problems to deal with.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"What? oh, we just burned these buildings. The temple was already on fire when we got here, honest!"

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Cathair posted:

We could have some interesting local political problems to deal with.

Only if we leave survivors. :black101:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"What? oh, we just burned these buildings. The temple was already on fire when we got here, honest!"

War- especially bronze age melee combat done by untrained levies- can be a ridiculously chaotic clusterfuck and things like that do happen, yes. It's not that I disagree with stabbin' fools in this instance, I'm just feeling the pain of charging into a situation where a lot of people are going to die without us having any real idea of what the hell is going on. Our initial assumptions are probably right on! But they could be way off!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B
H: WHO DARES BURN THE TEMPLE OF EL?!
I

Dio:
From a distance, how can we tell that it's a temple of El and not a temple of the Melachim?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Belief in El or no, I'm glad to see that we are mostly united behind one thing at least: Kicking rear end. The only question is whose rear end to kick.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

HBar posted:

B
I

Dio:
From a distance, how can we tell that it's a temple of El and not a temple of the Melachim?

Because it says El on the side. Like how can you tell from a distance that it's a Wal*Mart, and not an IKEA?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sogol posted:

2-F, 3-I

1- we are now a team.

2- challenge him to single combat.

"You have committed sacrilege most vile and burned the Temple of El! We are sent here to punish this cowardly act!! Send forth your excuse of a champion to receive Justice!!!

Solid. Has my vote.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. B We'll let him get some more experience here before moving him up again.

2. H: WHO DARES BURN THE TEMPLE OF EL?

3. I Safety First!

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Mr Apollo posted:

1. B We'll let him get some more experience here before moving him up again.

2. H: WHO DARES BURN THE TEMPLE OF EL?

3. I Safety First!

Sounds good to me.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1D.
2H. Rather than saying anything, Enkidel bellows out a guttoral, primal roar.
3I. Our opposition seems to think we're a group of Mighty Men. Taking off out helmet might dispel that idea when they see the colour of our skin.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Sogol posted:

1-D, 2-F, 3-I

1- we are now a team.

"You have committed sacrilege most vile and burned the Temple of El! We are sent here to punish this cowardly act!! Send forth your excuse of a champion to receive Justice!!!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
"Oh poo poo it caught fire in the attack we didn't notice hey we'll put it out and that's cool right? See you bros, nice minotaur you got there"

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Changing my #2 to F per Plan Sogol

Single combat!

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Cathair posted:

:hf:

1. B
2. H. "Who dares burn the temple of El?"
3. I.
We have been explicitly told by (probably) Melachim to keep our helmet on. Plus, as much it would help to break enemy morale, I don't think looking like a heathen cannibal is going to jive well with the 'champion of El' image we want to project.

I just really hope that we're killing the right people here, and if we're not, that yelling about the temple is enough to give them pause. I mean, they're clearly a bunch of dickheads who deserve killing, what with their entirely culturally acceptable burning and slave-taking, but what if they're not actually the ones who torched the temple? We could have some interesting local political problems to deal with.

Well, we were told by Jorah (Xuriel?) to invest in a drat helmet or something because we were addicted to blunt force trauma for a while there. Not looking like a cannibal is likely a good idea, though.

And the way I see it, there are four possibilities, from most to least likely..

* These dicks lit the temple up on purpose, and a Melachim sent us to smite them, as we know they do.

* These dicks set some nearby buildings on fire, the temple caught a few sparks, and the Melachim sent us here to smite them for being stupid.

*The villagers did it, they're heretics. We were called here to back up the other two Mighty Men against a peasant rebellion. Hey, they could summon a demon, maybe?

* The villagers did it to call down divine retribution on themselves, and hopefully take the enemy with them.

All evidence points to "these guys need smiting." If we stop to ask them whether they need smiting..Well, we are heavily outnumbered and there are no chokepoints.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Crudus posted:

Thanks, see you later.

I agree with the sentiment, though El existing is entirely possible (even if there is no proof.) I am the part of Enkidel's consciousness that wants to shoot fish lightning and lead an army of demons on the back of Eyescream to consume the world, or at least do cool things like talk to a minotaur.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

HBar posted:

B
I

Dio:

This.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
What kind of evidence are you looking for for El's existence?

Do you believe in the Melachim? We've met them ourselves and they made it a point to mention a single power higher than themselves.

How would you explain Power Word: El vs Zviv?

I think there's more to El than what we've heard in the stories, but everything we've seen points to his existence.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Disargeria posted:

What kind of evidence are you looking for for El's existence?

Do you believe in the Melachim? We've met them ourselves and they made it a point to mention a single power higher than themselves.

How would you explain Power Word: El vs Zviv?

I think there's more to El than what we've heard in the stories, but everything we've seen points to his existence.
I think there are Melachim, for certain.

"Power Word El" is a very interesting thing to me, and I've said it before, but based on Ishamal's reaction, I think we were simply using our own power. Otherwise you have to believe that El granted us enough power to freak out Ishamal and potentially break the world. I certainly think there is more to El, and more to the story of Labaras, but El existing in some form isn't necessarily controversial to me. I've thought for a while, and other posters have touched on it from time to time, that "El" might just be some sort of communal prayer power source. It's hard to tell, maybe he's just a vengeful, petty god.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tsyni posted:

I think there are Melachim, for certain.

"Power Word El" is a very interesting thing to me, and I've said it before, but based on Ishamal's reaction, I think we were simply using our own power. Otherwise you have to believe that El granted us enough power to freak out Ishamal and potentially break the world. I certainly think there is more to El, and more to the story of Labaras, but El existing in some form isn't necessarily controversial to me. I've thought for a while, and other posters have touched on it from time to time, that "El" might just be some sort of communal prayer power source. It's hard to tell, maybe he's just a vengeful, petty god.

Using our own power for Power Word EL doesn't seem to ring true because we DIED. There's at least two melachim watching over us then at that time too.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I bet you synapses that aren't believing in El are holding us back from REAL ULTIMATE POWER :argh:

And I'm voting for the 'keep charging, yell about the temple burning' option. I don't trust these heretical, pampered northerners to have the honour to face us in single combat, better to keep charging and rely on shock and awe.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Sogol posted:

1-D, 2-F, 3-I

1- we are now a team.

Voting this. Oh boy this is exciting, I want us to kick a champion's rear end.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Wow, I finally read through the whole thread. When this started I didn't thing it would be as good as Madgod but I'll eat my words now, good job Diog!

For the current vote I say:

1. B put him in the middle, when he gets some mighty strength or powers he can move up. I don't want to deal with dad if he dies.

2. G, H Yell, "We are the spear of EEEELLL."

3. I Leave the helmet on, I don't want to get arrowed.

My thinking on this: I throughly believe we are the spear of EL sent by EL to dispatch justice upon the invaders for burning a shrine. Kill 'em all and let the mountain sort 'em out!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Prior to any of these events, when Danal returned from his trip, you changed his position in the line of battle.

You stack your Balls ten wide and three deep, with your Mighty Sons and other strongest Balls up front, as well as the adventurer Eleazer, who at his insistence fights with a sword instead of a spear. You are in the middle front, with Uriah on your left and Gareb on the right.

You put Danal in the middle row, to the side. Not the most dangerous but not the safest spot either. You knew he wished to be beside you, he continues to wait.

Back to the present.

Ahead of you are about two hundred and fifty men, if you had to guess, they are largely farmers, laborers and a few craftsmen, poorly armed and poorly trained. Able to butcher farmers perhaps... but you are the Balls of Labaras. Except for the two taller men in the middle, these men are short by Zepathan standards.

As your foe forms up into ranks your Balls speed up from a jog to a flat out run, your Balls screaming as loud as they can "EEEELLLLL!"

You see in the middle of their line, two men who are each a little over seven feet tall, their height stands out, they tower over the rest of the soldiers, who are short by Zepathan standards. Both of the men are wearing real armor. One of the suits of armor is of a fine and expensive quality, though nothing like Mighty Man make. The other is of average quality, but still far better than what any of the rest of them are wearing. You are about two hundred paces away when the taller one in expensive armor yells out "WHO ARE YOU?"

You yell back while still running "WHO DARES TO BURN THE TEMPLE OF EL?"

"ELLLLLL!" cry your Balls.

You see two hundred and fifty men ahead of you and they are terrified as a dark skinned giant in glistening armor descends upon them to bring El's fury. Several men near the middle edge backwards, the man in expensive armor draws a sword, pulls back and slices one man next to him from shoulder to crouch in one blow and bellows out "ANY MAN WHO FLEES DIES AT MY HAND! I AM SAUL, PRINCE OF HARMATH, COME AND DIE!"

Your heart is beating swiftly as your legs race across the dirt, your Balls on each side bellow out ELLLLL as loudly as they can, do you have the concentration to put together that vital clue and figure out what the El is going on here?

It seems you do.

In some of the inner cities Kings sons are names Princes. This is stupid and decadent and pretty much everyone in Zepath thinks it is a bad idea. Some cities have their kings chosen by birth order, rather than picked by the prior king, which is obviously the better way to do it. Even Ibleam does not have Princes and knows that is a terrible idea.

If he is a prince of Harmath, this village probably belongs to their rival, the city of Tamdor. The fact that there is no one here to fight means...Tamdor is probably already loosing or lost. Or this is just a surprise raid. Saul just showed a considerable act of strength... yet his troops are of a poor quality, so he is probably a younger prince and delegated an easy task of butchering an undefended village? If this was a raid and not part of a larger conflict, they would have sent better soldiers so... yes,Tamdor is loosing... so this Prince was given an easy job. How strong this Prince is, is unclear.

Your education with Tudiya on kingly matters as a young man pays dividends today.

As you consider this, you are about a hundred and fifty paces and see your first casualties as one of your foes clutches his neck and falls to the ground screaming, an arrow just hit him.

Paebel and Gaddiel, who ran behind your Balls have stoped running and begun firing arrows. You see men in the rear ranks of your foe raise their shields over their heads, several more fall screaming. Snarls is beside Paebel and barking loudly!

WE ARE THE PREDATORS! YOU ARE THE PREY! WE ARE THE PREDATORS! YOU ARE THE PREY!

You are a hundred and fifty paces away. If you wish to issue any final orders, this is the time.

You.....(You can pick more than one):
A. WRAAAAAAAAGH! I issue no more orders and just charge. Not issuing new orders and changing things at the last moment will make the initial shock of my charge more effective. I will hope my Balls know what to do.
B. A., but yell ELLLLL!
C. A., but yell something else. Keep it short. Fill in.

I issue other orders in the final moments.

The following orders are tiny changes so it probably won't effect shock value by a substantial amount.

D. Throw Gareb and Uriah, your Mightiest Sons at the 7sh foot tall man in average armor, standing beside the prince. You are concerned what he might do otherwise so you have your best and engage him.

E. Throw Gareb and Uriah at the Prince, who you will also fight. Either you are concerned about how strong he is and thus want all the help you can get, or you want him dead quickly to damage their morale.

Uriah and Gareb are going to make mincemeat out of any normal men they fight, all of your Mighty Sons will. Clustering all of your Mighty Sons on one or two targets will effect the penetration of your charge.

F. Throw all of your Mighty Sons at the Prince, alongside you.

G. Split your Mighty Sons between the Prince and the other taller man.

H. Any other plans that's only involves who your Mighty sons target, without repositioning them. Keep the orders relatively simple, you don't have time for great complexity.

The following orders are substantial changes to your formation. You have enough time to do them, however they will reduce the penetration of your initial charge. Right now your line is 10 wide and 3 deep. The enemy is about 80 wide and 3 deep.

I. To a man, each of my Balls is better equipped, stronger and vastly better trained. And vastly outnumbered. I am worried about being encircled and surrounded, so I order my Balls into two rows as they charge, spreading out our line. I do this hoping that the vast superiority of my Balls inflicts enough casualties that they break before we are surrounded.

J. I, except we form one single row, even wider.

K. I have another plan. By the Balls of Enkidu I WILL read through the other options first and if my plan is a tweak on an existing option, I will pick that and write in what I want to do different.

As a result of your education with Tudiya, you see a few ways to win this battle and a few ways to lose.

Win: With your current formation, push through their middle so hard they break at once, terrified. Options A through E.

Win: Push through their middle and though they don't break at once, turn and push down their lines from the middle, hoping they shatter as they take massive casualties. Also options A through E.

Win: Kill their leaders and hope they shatter in fear.

Win: Spread your line wider than it is now, so your Balls, of vastly superior quality, each inflict many casualties and the foe breaks and run. Options F, G and H.

Lose: ...any outcome which involves you being surrounded. You are outnumbered about eight to one. If the fight is not short, you will probably be surrounded and probably die.

Lose: The two hundred or so men sieging the tower realize what is going on and join the fight before you finish off the first group. So far they don't seem to have moved.

Lose: You personally dying will either send your Balls into a rage, or shatter their morale and terrify them.

Lose: If several of your Mighty Sons are wounded, your Common Balls may lose heart. They are brave, but they are just men and you are vastly outnumbered.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2014

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
E Shock value is nice but I want this guy dead now and if he dies the rest will have no incentive to stay in formation.

I think it's the best way to address the win/lose situations presented, at least.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Razage posted:

Wow, I finally read through the whole thread. When this started I didn't thing it would be as good as Madgod but I'll eat my words now, good job Diog!
I am glad you enjoyed it :D.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
E. Cut the head off and the body will die.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 2, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

E

We quickly break the Prince. These men are conscripts, not properly trained or equipped. Just at our charge and our pronouncement, men began to flee. They only stopped because this fucker cut them down. Kill him fast and hard, and they will rout.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -