Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just take a Grey Knights librarian, they'll be better at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I wonder how obscene you could make this. Play Unbound so you can take Azrael as well for the 4++, take a Priest so you can re-roll that save, maybe a Primaris Psyker or two to roll on Sanctic and see if you can increase the Invuln to a 3++...

The Reroll doesn't quiet work like that, however the Sanctic powers and having them joined by a Greyknight would be great. Take a small contigent.

You'd also get the option to roll Gate of Infinity or give that 50 man blob Hammerhand.

Little expensive though.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hollismason posted:

or give that 50 man blob Hammerhand.

Attach an Inquisitor with both Hammerhand and Rad Grenades. S5 blob with enemy suffering -1T is brutal. And was already possible in the previous edition.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If you're hankering for a big 2++ save, having them led by Draigo rolling on Sanctic would be pretty brutal.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

Dumb question time, this time about Transports and the effects of damage on passengers:

If a Transport is hit multiple times in a phase and receives multiple results on the damage chart (for example, Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned) do the passengers have to make multiple Ld tests, or just one? Likewise, if a Transport is Wrecked or Explodes and also receives one of the lesser results, is the unit also affected by the lesser results or does the higher result trump the lesser ones?

According to P.82, as far as I can tell, the passengers only take one LD test even if you roll multiple Shaken/Stunned/Weapon Destroyed/Immobilized.

"At the end of a phase in which a vehicle sustains one or more of these damage results, the passengers must take a Leadership test. If the test is passed, the unit is unaffected".

Also if the Transport gets say, a Shaken and an Explodes!, as far as I can see you would do the LD test for the Shaken and the LD test for Pinning as they have somewhat differing effects. It doesn't say anywhere that you just resolve the highest "damaging" effect on the Pen Chart, you have to resolve all of them at the same time because the effect from Wrecked/Explodes! is different from Shaken/Stunned/Weapon Destroyed/Immobilized.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Excellent, that's all as we thought. Thank you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Guys, guys, enough about this game we all hate. He finished it, he actually finished it:

Video or it didn't happen.

That knight riding a giant lizard is super-awesome. I literally lolled.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Guys, guys, enough about this game we all hate. He finished it, he actually finished it:

Needs more dakka.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Ork Bike is so boss. Can't imagine it being very comfortable or easy to ride though but I don't think that was the goal of the design.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Ugh. I got my poo poo pushed in last weekend: I took a Dread Mob list against 4 (!) Knight Titans and Necron Warrior blobs. What serves as a decent counter to the Knights? Having a gently caress-ton of shooting (like lootas) seems to be it, until they move 12" and start stomping. A stompa doesn't even seem like a decent counter, as I've had one go down to a knight due to D weapons and initiative.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well totalwargamer.co.uk are having a 30% off sale.

And I bought a Stompa.

And a Knight.

In my defence I'm collecting both Orks and Adeptus Mechanicus.

But yes, I have a problem.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

Well totalwargamer.co.uk are having a 30% off sale.

And I bought a Stompa.

And a Knight.

In my defence I'm collecting both Orks and Adeptus Mechanicus.

You sure do. You're not going to see those items for months.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Thundercloud posted:

You might well find that to be true, they are pretty notorious for being poo poo at filling orders. I know they hosed Rapey Joe around, and I think there have been other goons screwed too.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They sell at 30% off because they rely on driving sales through a discount that returns them a razor thin margin. It's an unsustainable business model that will, eventually, send them bust. They don't seem to hold stock and my guess is they use money from one order to buy the next.
I waited seven or eight weeks for my delivery of a Wraithknight and some Tau stuff from one of their 30% off pre-order sales. They fobbed me off with excuses repeatedly, eventually just sending a blank email consisting of greeting and signature. They only delivered after I threatened to report them to my credit card company as fraudsters and complain to Trading Standards.

If time isn't an issue then you probably will get your stuff eventually, but if you don't want to wait weeks I would advise you to pay the extra 5% and go with somewhere like elementgames.co.uk who do actually carry stock and will ship sharpish.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
That and they've apparently lost their trade account now: https://www.facebook.com/TotalWargamerComplaints/posts/708015782570682?fref=nf

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

xtothez posted:

You sure do. You're not going to see those items for months.

Well that's massively poo poo, as if facebook is to be believed GW won't trade with them anymore and so unless they've got stacks of big boxes lying around, they're advertising goods they don't have and have no possibility of obtaining in order to fiddle their cash flow using the delay people have for chargebacks.

I used a debit card, so I can do a chargeback, but if this is someone loving around and scamming people I'll be well pissed off.

I can wait a couple of weeks, but if they are in the shitter I may go to the bank sooner.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
According to Dakka, they have been ordering GW stock from Wayland direct to the customer's address.

edit: Order from Element Games. The discount isn't as good but they're rock solid, always arrived next day for me.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

That Ork Bike is so boss. Can't imagine it being very comfortable or easy to ride though but I don't think that was the goal of the design.

Uncomfortable? It's a fairly standard-- if Spartan, it's not a cruiser-- cycle with some details added on, the Ork bits are removable. My concern is that pointy bit on the front fender bending during a bump and exploding the front tire, bad news bears that.

Hello people who asked for the link:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-8689-34157_Ork%20Warbike.html

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Lungboy posted:

You might well find that to be true, they are pretty notorious for being poo poo at filling orders. I know they hosed Rapey Joe around, and I think there have been other goons screwed too.

I'm firmly in the "gently caress Total Wargamer" camp after they hosed me about with several orders a while back. I'd say Dark Sphere (if they still deliver GW stuff) and Element Games are solid choices.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

xtothez posted:

According to Dakka, they have been ordering GW stock from Wayland direct to the customer's address.

Wait, this... how is this... how do they... why... huh? :psyboom:

That's the absolute worst business model I've ever heard of for a gaming store. And worst gaming store is one hell of a shitheap to be king of.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xtothez posted:

edit: Order from Element Games. The discount isn't as good but they're rock solid, always arrived next day for me.

I prefer Darksphere over Element. Even with shipping charges, it usually ends up cheaper.

e: the owner is a pretty cool dude too, their store in London is nice.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I have yet to hear any drama at all about ChaosMailOrder or TheWarStore, why don't you people save the trouble and go there?

http://www.thewarstore.com/

http://www.chaosmailorder.com/games-workshop

I didn't see a GW link on the Warstore page, maybe they finally dropped them because GW are such miserable cunts. Many, many stores got burned when GW said that online retailers were no longer allowed to use GW imagery or even mention GW product in their online stores.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If there's even a hint of truth to GW closing their trade account you need to get your money back tomorrow, not in a fortnight. There's a very good chance the company wont be there in a fortnight.

I would start the process first thing in the morning if I were you. For future reference, if you have a UK credit card, always use the credit card for orders over £100 because you gain statutory Section 75 refund protection. Meaning if you have problems with the product or vendor, your CC has to refund you and takes responsibility for pursuing the money from the vendor themselves.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 2, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What is there in the way of US wargaming stores that will deliver to Australia?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
If it's for GW stuff, their trade embargo between countries leaves you out of luck. Warstore should deliver other items that way though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I thought the embargo was only for shipping things out of Europe.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Post 9-11 User posted:

I didn't see a GW link on the Warstore page, maybe they finally dropped them because GW are such miserable cunts.

http://www.thewarstore.com/TheGWInternetOrdersPolicy.html

You gotta call them over the phone in order to place an order.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have yet to hear any drama at all about ChaosMailOrder or TheWarStore, why don't you people save the trouble and go there?

Because we're in the UK.

I second Rapey Joe, don't wait around. Cancel the order first thing and order from someone reliable.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The shopping cart thing is dumb as hell, but what really sucks is that the bitz section on The War Store went away at some point apparently because GW are fuckers.

I just ordered a bunch of bases and poo poo, and I was thinking about grabbing a bunch of those bare-rear end Rhino hulls they had for $20 or whatever, to go with the inexplicable mountain of vehicle accessory sprues I for some reason have, and nope, GW strikes again, you aren't allowed to sell bits anymore.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

AgentF posted:

I thought the embargo was only for shipping things out of Europe.

Originally. But then they expanded it. Now you're not allowed to sell outside of your country so GW can take advantage of it's out of date regional price increases. I haven't bought a single NIB GW product since they implemented it, because the Canadian markup is just BS.

http://paintingfrog.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/a-new-gw-embargo-dawns-on-the-usa/

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

GW has a long and proud history of making GBS threads on its distributors and retailers with capricious and sweeping policy agreements

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You'd be better complaining about how poo poo the law is where you are when it comes to what companies are allowed to put in their retail agreements. GW don't get to do any of the poo poo with bits sellers, online checkouts, official images for advertising etc in the EU.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

http://www.thewarstore.com/

http://www.chaosmailorder.com/games-workshop

I didn't see a GW link on the Warstore page, maybe they finally dropped them because GW are such miserable cunts. Many, many stores got burned when GW said that online retailers were no longer allowed to use GW imagery or even mention GW product in their online stores.

The Warstore has flat cheap shipping, carries tons of great stuff, has a 20% discount on drat near everything, and they're super swell guys. I met them at Historicon a couple times and it was always a pleasure to deal with them. I've been ordering from them since I got in the hobby.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.thewarstore.com/TheGWInternetOrdersPolicy.html

You gotta call them over the phone in order to place an order.

Over the phone is easy, you talk to Neal himself, nice guy. I just remember there being a little blurb on the web page, something about, "We can't do online GW sales anymore, call us!"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I always love how GW seems actively hostile to it's customers. Not passively hostile like a lot of companies, *actively* hostile. Like they are trying to drive themselves out of business. I don't really follow many other war games, is there something out there that can scratch the 'paint my pretty mans'/lore itch like WH40k does? Because I have to think those guys get around to read whatever new action GW has taken and high five each other.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boogaleeboo posted:

I always love how GW seems actively hostile to it's customers. Not passively hostile like a lot of companies, *actively* hostile. Like they are trying to drive themselves out of business. I don't really follow many other war games, is there something out there that can scratch the 'paint my pretty mans'/lore itch like WH40k does? Because I have to think those guys get around to read whatever new action GW has taken and high five each other.

There totally are other games with very pretty miniatures, but the 40K setting/aesthetic does scratch a sort of itch that nothing else really does, aside from third party models that are fairly blatant knockoffs of said aesthetic.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JerryLee posted:

There totally are other games with very pretty miniatures, but the 40K setting/aesthetic does scratch a sort of itch that nothing else really does, aside from third party models that are fairly blatant knockoffs of said aesthetic.

Also you know... HOBBY GAMING.

In general the only things people will play are things that are already popular.

40K got massive traction when there really wasn't a minis gaming market and it snowballed.
(Well unless you count historicals but they tend to be miserable middle aged old men grousing at each other.)

I know of entire stores whose playerbase if not the retailers themselves practically run off anyone not playing their chosen game.
(A store in Norwich CT is basically Magic and little else. Anyone who isn't a Magic player is basically shat on.)

And given how nerds are either antisocial or have issues making friends (I sadly am in the latter category though I try. The amount of gamers I have seen in the former boggles my loving mind. Like people that give you dirty looks for just saying hello or asking what game they are playing or sometimes even mentioning you play the same loving game!) hobby gaming is basically last call at the bar and you pretty much pick up anything that is willing.

Which is basically Magic, 40K, or D&D/Pathfinder at least in my area of the US.

Games Workshop is really the Nintendo of minis gaming. They basically made/revived their industry and were the immortal and unstoppable god kings.

Once they got there they basically started pissing everyone else off and making demands.

Nostalgia pretty much keeps them in business because they sure as gently caress despise this INTERNET THING THE KIDS LIKE.

(To be fair though Nintendo at least makes attempts at innovating or not pissing everyone off. Sometimes. GW completely ignores this.)

The thing is here in the US we basically play at game stores, not clubs. We mostly want organized tournament styled play even though tourney play is the worst loving thing ever.

Its organized, it basically ensures even the most antisocial sperge gets a game in, all the powergamers have an excuse for degenerate lists/decks, and given how most people take their consumer product of choice and make it a goddamned religion this makes it the way people want it.

It loving sucks rear end but that's how it is. The only reason Warmahordes did so well was being at the right place at the right time and with a setting that is appealing.
(Also you know trying to be the NOT GW and attempting to make a ruleset that works to the tastes of actual players as opposed to GW's ITS ALL ABOUT THE PAINTING AND A TRIP TO THE PUB AFTER A GENTLEMANLY GAME AT CLUB thing which really doesn't loving exist except in their loving delusions.)

(Plus that whole consumer product religion thing the WMH people are really angry ex 40Kers for the most part and generally want to take GW down a peg. I took some childish glee at selling four armies on ebay for roughly what I paid for them as I cost GW a good 1000+ plus dollars at their current MSRP. Probably a lot more.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 3, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Rufus posted:

It loving sucks rear end but that's how it is. The only reason Warmahordes did so well was being at the right place at the right time and with a setting that is appealing.
(Also you know trying to be the NOT GW and attempting to make a ruleset that works to the tastes of actual players as opposed to GW's ITS ALL ABOUT THE PAINTING AND A TRIP TO THE PUB AFTER A GENTLEMANLY GAME AT CLUB thing which really doesn't loving exist except in their loving delusions.)
This is pretty much what my game club is like and it rules. Game store communities can be good but since they can't really turn anyone away like a club can, they're not quite so choosy and it can be more hit and miss.

As someone absolutely obsessed with aesthetics and deeply invested in the setting, nothing else can scratch that 40k itch for me. Necromunda a little bit, but I like the sweeping vastness of a big field battle.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, we literally pack up eight to twelve guys and go to the bar after game night every Tuesday and it's rad. Game clubs are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I wish there was a game club where I live (Chicago) , so that I could meet a cute boy and play Warhammer and make out.

Or whatever.

• Locked thread