Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

astrollinthepork posted:

It's the sun. Vents aren't gonna help.

Oh, I thought he meant the phone itself was heating it up which I have had happen on occasion with my old phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Razzled posted:

Oh, I thought he meant the phone itself was heating it up which I have had happen on occasion with my old phone.

Yep and sticking it in direct sunlight just makes it worse. I deal with this every drat day because my car is a greenhouse of glass with no a/c.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
1. attached luggage mount to rack
2. replaced spark plugs
3. shot gasoline into my eye
4. gently caress you, fuel lines going into petcock :cripes:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

astrollinthepork posted:

Yep and sticking it in direct sunlight just makes it worse. I deal with this every drat day because my car is a greenhouse of glass with no a/c.

I think the best solution here is I'm going to attach a kind of black cloth material veil that while moving will cover the pocket but will be easy to move when I need to glance at my phone for directions. That and probably I need a Sena for audio directions and stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Razzled posted:

That and probably I need a Sena for audio directions and stuff.

Yep. I haven't used my phone for visual navigation ever. It's always in a pocket or in my bag, talking into my ear.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bugdrvr posted:

I stuck my iPhone in the clear pocket of my tank bag to use for navi and the thing overheated in about 10 minutes. It was only about 60 degrees out too so you need to keep an eye on it. I've never had it overheat before or since but the thing was hot when I pulled over and took it out of there.

Also watch that you don't pick metal things up when you put the bag down. I put mine down on an open case of sockets and didn't notice that half of them came with the bag when I picked it up. I slapped it on my tank and got the CLANG! that you would expect from hitting your tank with about 10 torx sockets.

These work great http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Motorcy...ell+phone+mount

Probably not good for rain though. Paired with this: http://www.amazon.com/EKLIPES-EK1-1...=motorcycle+usb

Kept my phone fully charged on a 1200+ mile trip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

These work great http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Motorcy...ell+phone+mount

Probably not good for rain though. Paired with this: http://www.amazon.com/EKLIPES-EK1-1...=motorcycle+usb

Kept my phone fully charged on a 1200+ mile trip.

I've got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIVI-S950-M...universal+phone

Works fine (touchscreen even worked after a fashion) and comprehensively waterproof, although because it obscures the front camera/light sensor it meant the screen was too dark to see most of the time - YMMV depending on phone model.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Well poo poo went for a nice long ride today and on my way home happened to look down and notice fluid/oil coming out of my left fork. :/

Guess I need to plan on taking the plastics off and getting the forks out and either decide to learn to do it myself or take them to the shop to get them replaced..

(Ignore the dirt I've put on maybe 300 miles in the last three days after some rain and just haven't sat down to clean it yet)

advion fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 1, 2014

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's wear and tear and happens. Depending on the bike forks are relatively easy, but require a handful of tools or ingenuity.

Tape measurer you don't mind coating in oil.
Snap ring pliers.
Seal cramming tool (read PVC or these fancy pants things
Syringe for when you inevitably overfill one.
Torque wrench required if you need to mess with the axle bolt. I am pretty old school when it comes to fasteners but that's one you really want to spec.

I replace bushings and seals at the same time, and do both forks at the same time. Comes out to $80-160 in parts depending on bike and deals. I would go aftermarket vs OEM if prices are significant. Race Tech and All Balls are well known and have parts for most models, with race tech being preferred of the two.

I wouldn't pay a shop more than $200 to do it, and I would expect a flat rate quote over the phone.

All in all - not a big deal. Cheaper than a set of tires and less frequent.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I finally got some cases for my FZ6 - a full set of cortech super 2.0 bags - small tank bag, large tailbag and saddlebags. They were semi annoying to install, but so far they are great. Decent amount of room, comes with rain covers, and does not interfere with anything at all, even the helmet lock.

To test them out I decided to go on a solo motocamp, so I used a cargo net and some bungee cords to strap on a sleeping bag, tent, and fishing pole on top of the tail bag - which surprisingly fit perfectly. I found a campsite on freecampsites.net that apparently did not exist.

I ended up finding a different camp ground which was $25. I paid the fee and rolled over to the "camping area" which was a very sandy grassy field. Apparently dave matthews bland was playing nearby, so the entire camp site was full of rowdy drunk bros. I decided to bail - no refunds unfortunately. I ended up riding back home, but now I know my bike is fully capable of some serious touring if I want.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer on the outcome, what kind of campsite did you think you were going to?

Freecampsites is good but you gotta vet them cause they range from full hookups with water to "you could sleep in this parking lot if you wanted, I seen some RVs there for a few weeks".

Even in the worst case you just gotta get creative. I had friends who pedal biked from Cincinnati, Ohio to Yellowstone and in the secluded places they'd just find places to get a bit out of sight. Either that or they'd ask a home/farm owner to set up in their yard, I don't think anyone told them 'No'.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Halo_4am posted:

It's wear and tear and happens. Depending on the bike forks are relatively easy, but require a handful of tools or ingenuity.

Tape measurer you don't mind coating in oil.
Snap ring pliers.
Seal cramming tool (read PVC or these fancy pants things
Syringe for when you inevitably overfill one.
Torque wrench required if you need to mess with the axle bolt. I am pretty old school when it comes to fasteners but that's one you really want to spec.

I replace bushings and seals at the same time, and do both forks at the same time. Comes out to $80-160 in parts depending on bike and deals. I would go aftermarket vs OEM if prices are significant. Race Tech and All Balls are well known and have parts for most models, with race tech being preferred of the two.

I wouldn't pay a shop more than $200 to do it, and I would expect a flat rate quote over the phone.

All in all - not a big deal. Cheaper than a set of tires and less frequent.

Thanks for the information it helps a lot. I've also been looking at various forum posts on some Kawi specific forums and see what people say about the process. I didn't add in the original post that this is a 2006 Ninja 650R. I'm going to at least get them off the bike within the next week or two and go from there. This is rather annoying timing as I just had new tires mounted maybe two weeks ago so all I want to do is ride on that fresh rubber.

* Edit * Wiped it down and the fluid leaking out is red so definitely fork oil.

advion fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 2, 2014

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Well the good news is that a leaky fork isn't necessarily a ride stopper. The risk is that a significant amount of oil gets displaced which causes the forks to react differently and you'll get minor wobbles. I wouldn't do a ton of riding on it, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it around town until a payday (or until wobbles develop).

advion posted:

2006 Ninja 650R.

Wiki says they're old school damping rod forks then. Getting them off and on the bike will be different, but the internals are largely the same across all models and decades of forks. Here's a couple of solid how to vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjsB0eHcFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKdbwMQ5fY

Be sure to get replacement snap rings also.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/2006/EX650A6F+Ninja+650R/FRONT+FORK/parts.html

If it were me - leaky seals just mean it's time to use Race Tech's calculator and get some new correct weight springs and emulators to toss in an upgrade while I'm at it. Wallet: :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIVI-S950-M...universal+phone

Works fine (touchscreen even worked after a fashion) and comprehensively waterproof, although because it obscures the front camera/light sensor it meant the screen was too dark to see most of the time - YMMV depending on phone model.
I have a similar case and my phone (Google Nexus 4) overheated and shut down after about 45 minutes in typical swedish summer weather (i.e. 15C and a light drizzle). I manually set the screen brightness to max otherwise it would be impossible to see. No bluetooth headset so I have to rely on watching the screen.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
It doesn't seem to be a really bad leak but I'm going to ride it to work and back today and see what that does to it. I'll probably plan to just upgrade the springs in a week or two. This should be an amusing project I appreciate the help.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I rebuilt my front brake master cylinder this weekend. I was dreading it, but it was easier than I thought it was. A snap ring pliers set and some time on youtube meant I got it done in under 30 minutes.

I gotta find out why my headlight is vibrating at low speeds on the 919. So annoying.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Halo_4am posted:

Race Tech and All Balls are well known and have parts for most models, with race tech being preferred of the two.

The prevailing wisdom, borne out by my own experience, seems to be to use OEM fork seals. I can't speak for any other bikes, or for Racetech's seals, but I put a set of All Balls fork seals on my SV650 and they were both leaking again within a month, well after they should have fully seated and after several treatments with Seal Mates. I had to replace them with OEM seals and replace the oil, doing that messy, laborious job all over again, and it sucked.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well, I'm trying to get my forks off but the goddamn retaining bolt is 6mm hex and I can't find my 6mm hex wrench :mad:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a similar case and my phone (Google Nexus 4) overheated and shut down after about 45 minutes in typical swedish summer weather (i.e. 15C and a light drizzle). I manually set the screen brightness to max otherwise it would be impossible to see. No bluetooth headset so I have to rely on watching the screen.

My phone (Lumia 1020) was noticeably warm after 2 hours in bright sunshine but no more so than it would have been with the screen running that long anyway.

This case has a pretty significant (cm or so) air gap behind the phone (which I use to stow the charging cable when it's not in use, although there's space for more stuff) - maybe that's the difference here?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Get a Samsung S5 come update time, and then just mount it on the handlebars. Submersible waterproofing up to 3 feet.

My Smart Phone has Air Cooled SupremacyTM.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Went through and collected all the parts I need for the forks. Not including tools I don't happen to have or fork oil. Any fork oil recommendations?

I want to upgrade the springs but I think I'm going to wait and put more miles on stock so I can get a better feel for the differences when I do inevitably swap them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

loving dropped it, dented the tank, broke the peg, and rashed the poo poo out of my arm!

Rear tire slipped off the ramp loading it into a truck. Fortunately I happen to have a spare set of pegs, and the tank has pinhole leaks all around the seam anyways so...

Then I put a 100 miles on it!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Doesn't count if it's in the back of a truck even if you're sitting on it. :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Does if you're ATGATT while you're sitting on it :c00lbert:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wait... what do you ride again?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SV-650, R1, and a VZ-800 Marauder, Dropped bike was the Marauder thankfully.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Elviscat posted:

loving dropped it, dented the tank, broke the peg, and rashed the poo poo out of my arm!

Oh so it's just returning to it's natural state of being.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

Oh so it's just returning to it's natural state of being.

No, its natural state of being is as a 400cc thumper, or an inanimate object.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rayeled da gap today, saw a turtle on the side of the road during one pass. Said to myself, if he's on the road on the next pass, I'll help him across. Next time I saw him he was flat. So let this be a lesson, turtle first, rayel second.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elviscat posted:

No, its natural state of being is as a 400cc thumper, or an inanimate object.

These are often the same thing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rayeled da gap today, saw a turtle on the side of the road during one pass. Said to myself, if he's on the road on the next pass, I'll help him across. Next time I saw him he was flat. So let this be a lesson, turtle first, rayel second.

You monster. I stopped and helped a turtle the other day. Poor dude just wanted to get to the creek.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

advion posted:

Went through and collected all the parts I need for the forks. Not including tools I don't happen to have or fork oil. Any fork oil recommendations?

I want to upgrade the springs but I think I'm going to wait and put more miles on stock so I can get a better feel for the differences when I do inevitably swap them.

Looks good. I am all for thorough, but you can reuse the existing washers lol. As for oil, I like Bel Ray on bang for buck/seems solid on all the rated vs actual viscosity charts. Stick with stock weight if the idea is to see what stock is all about.

Good luck!

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Put some of http://www.adafruit.com/products/603 that stuff in my gloves so I could use my phone without taking them off. It's surprisingly more effective than I thought (typing this message with it now) but It's still not %100. You need to sew it just right where there's a lot of thread in a very small area, and even then it's different from using skin. Still pretty cool though!

For stuff actually on my bike I put on a supermoto fender and a new shift lever on my KLR. Now it looks like a pig with a beak, It's pretty rad.

for sale fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 3, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Put some extra heavy bar end weights on and Pro Grip 719 gel grips. I like the grips, even discounting how much better they feel in general, they are stickier so less gripping needed. Bar end weights helped a lot too, Ninja 500 is buzzy as gently caress.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Got my front end controls spruced up today on my 919. New chinese levers, chinese mirrors, low renthal road bards, new grips, and some new bar ends. I've been dying to get rid of those bars and mirrors. Hate bar end mirrors and I hate the goofy looking chrome mickey mouse ear so I went with some Aprilia Shiver looking mirrors from this fellow: http://stores.ebay.com/Hoosier-Garage

For $26 shipped the glass is clear, adjustment seems tight and like it will hold. I highly recommend this guy. Ships from Indiana.

The 919 has chrome bars, mirrors, and trim rings around the headlight and gauges. Just all of this chrome in that one area and nowhere else on the bike really sticks out. Got rid of the worst offenders with the bars and mirrors. Thinking about hitting up the trim rings with silver but ehhhh.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Got my front end controls spruced up today on my 919. New chinese levers, chinese mirrors, low renthal road bards, new grips, and some new bar ends. I've been dying to get rid of those bars and mirrors. Hate bar end mirrors and I hate the goofy looking chrome mickey mouse ear so I went with some Aprilia Shiver looking mirrors from this fellow: http://stores.ebay.com/Hoosier-Garage

For $26 shipped the glass is clear, adjustment seems tight and like it will hold. I highly recommend this guy. Ships from Indiana.

The 919 has chrome bars, mirrors, and trim rings around the headlight and gauges. Just all of this chrome in that one area and nowhere else on the bike really sticks out. Got rid of the worst offenders with the bars and mirrors. Thinking about hitting up the trim rings with silver but ehhhh.

Let me know how you go blacking out the clock surrounds if you go that way, the fact that there is chrome at all and it's all concentrated in that area really bugs me, too. Are you able to link to the specific mirrors you bought because I'm lazy? I'm discovering that bar-end mirrors actually suck. Not because they're hard to use, but because they just flop over horizontally as soon as I go above 100km/h.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Black-Mirrors-Honda-919-/400199388952?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2dbe0f18

I got those specifically. Much lower, but a tad wider. Haven't road tested them but the socket feels really right and like it won't budge unless you want it to.

This guy has a few pics of what they look like on a 919. Doesn't fit a glossy red so well in my opinion.
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f94/919-mirror-replacement-info-26254.html#post433703

Also, if you want to go further into the dechroming process go for renthal road bars. Apparently high matches stock the best, but ultra lows offer something a bit lower without being too low as to not be comfortable. I wish I had gotten those instead of the lows, as the sweep is a bit too much for me and I'm not liking it.

Here are the measurements if you care to change things up.

I just looked through my service manual, and it looks like the entire instrument faceplate is one piece so it's likely the rings are glued on. I'm going to tear into it soon and see what's up. Removal consists of removing the headlight bucket and undoing two mounting bolts and some plugs.
I did find this but the guy might be full of poo poo:

quote:

The two chrome plastic rings around the rev counter and speedo are held in by double-sided tape - if you are careful with a thin blade you can slowly pry them up. Either leave off or paint and re fix. Note replacements are only $5 or so each.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 4, 2014

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Well my patched up oil cooler line only held for so long, at least until my ebay replacement arrived for 30$, new oil line from most BMW parts sites listed the oil line for 118$ alone :O

First time taking the fairings off the bike with all its fancy torx bolts, it wasn't as difficult to do as I expected, and the oil line was easy enough to replace without having to remove a ton of things in the way. Had to make sure the new line wasn't contacting the engine this time.

No leaks! so I buttoned her back up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Black-Mirrors-Honda-919-/400199388952?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2dbe0f18

I got those specifically. Much lower, but a tad wider. Haven't road tested them but the socket feels really right and like it won't budge unless you want it to.

This guy has a few pics of what they look like on a 919. Doesn't fit a glossy red so well in my opinion.
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f94/919-mirror-replacement-info-26254.html#post433703

Also, if you want to go further into the dechroming process go for renthal road bars. Apparently high matches stock the best, but ultra lows offer something a bit lower without being too low as to not be comfortable. I wish I had gotten those instead of the lows, as the sweep is a bit too much for me and I'm not liking it.

Here are the measurements if you care to change things up.

I just looked through my service manual, and it looks like the entire instrument faceplate is one piece so it's likely the rings are glued on. I'm going to tear into it soon and see what's up. Removal consists of removing the headlight bucket and undoing two mounting bolts and some plugs.
I did find this but the guy might be full of poo poo:

Thanks! They're pretty sharply priced so I'll get them soon. I've got a line on renthals so if I can be bothered I'll get those. Interestingly my instruments are the opposite of yours; I have chrome instrument housings with black plastic rings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Slavvy posted:

Thanks! They're pretty sharply priced so I'll get them soon. I've got a line on renthals so if I can be bothered I'll get those. Interestingly my instruments are the opposite of yours; I have chrome instrument housings with black plastic rings!

Yuck, I've seen that. It's pretty simple to remove that housing, after you take out the cluster all it is is a few screws. Sand it, prime it, paint it. Should be simple and look clean.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 4, 2014