Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mr. Lobe posted:

What else are you going to use them for in a nonlethal run?

Breaking walls. Seriously. Delaying that upgrade does a lot for speeding up a pacifist run. They're also useful for shooting walls near guards to turn them in that direction.

I did my run on the hardest difficulty because I wanted to do multiple missing achievements at once. Also because I hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Plus if you break the wall with bullets, its a nonlethal takedown of the guy on the other side. The wallpunch aug is ALWAYS lethal.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can break walls with bullets? :aaaaa:

I kept a few of those exploding things that looked like candybars just for walls in my ghost run. I think I only succeeded in creating a brick shattering explosion with no one noticing like once.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Hm, I didn't know about the wall shooting thing either. I was super bummed when I got the aug and realized it was always lethal and noisy too if I remember correctly.

I actually liked how in Deus Ex 1 it has specific reactions to non-lethal behaviour that makes sense in the framework of JC's job, and then leaves that to the wayside when JC isn't beholden to that anymore. It's a good way to do karma, and then it just leaves it to how much of a Deus Ex conscience it manages to give the player.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
So since we're talking about Human Revolution and takedowns...does throwing a vending machine at someone count as lethal or non lethal?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

So since we're talking about Human Revolution and takedowns...does throwing a vending machine at someone count as lethal or non lethal?

Lethal, I'm pretty sure. Which is a shame, because the image of those guys waking up with that vending machine on top of them is hilarious.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Vending machines are extremely powerful.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Lethal, I'm pretty sure. Which is a shame, because the image of those guys waking up with that vending machine on top of them is hilarious.

AND I SAY TO MYSELF
I NEED EXACT CHANGE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AugmentedVision posted:

To be precise, they both take zero time, as Adam teleports to the Fiddy zone to do the takedowns.

It's hilarious how easy it is to take out a room full of guys with mêlée takedowns since they all politely wait while you beat up their friends rather than just shooting you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Man, you guys are just taking me back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mordaedil posted:

Okay, that was absolutely beautiful. More games should let you do that sort of thing.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

counterfeitsaint posted:

You can break walls with bullets? :aaaaa:

Detroit is obviously the biggest advantage for wall shooting versus getting the aug. Just make sure you get the armor piercing upgrade first. It significantly cuts down on the number of bullets it takes to break a wall. I think it cuts the number in half.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The real advantage of the aug is that it lets you see where the weak walls are.
Plus there are two praxis kits behind weak walls (one in Detroit, one in Hengsha), so it more than pays for itself.

The real insult of the series is Deus Ex: The Fall. Mostly because you can't pick up and throw vending machines any more. That video was poetry in motion.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kloro posted:

The real advantage of the aug is that it lets you see where the weak walls are.
Plus there are two praxis kits behind weak walls (one in Detroit, one in Hengsha), so it more than pays for itself.

The real insult of the series is Deus Ex: The Fall. Mostly because you can't pick up and throw vending machines any more. That video was poetry in motion.

It actually costs two because it's the initial strength upgrade. And that's two points you can put into hacking or some other upgrade that will get you all kinda of goodies and xp earlier than the game probably assumed you could. It makes you a much more efficient pacification machine.

You're going to pick it up eventually for moving big objects and the inventory upgrades anyway. But, because each Aug is 2 praxis to activate, points are really tight in the early game.

Every point you can save gives you a significant jump in power. For instance - the 2 praxis you save by using billets instead of strength could jump you from hacking 2 to 4. Which lets you open drat near every pad in Detroit. And once you open all the ones you now have access to, that should give you more than enough xp for hacking 5 which nets you a praxis kit (maybe 2? I can't remember that well), weapon upgrades, stun and revolver ammo. All before you leave Detroit. There are only, I believe, 2 walls in Detroit that hide items. That's not a lot of bullets compared to the early power spike being able to hack everything in the game gives you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I exploited the gently caress out of Detroit and managed to end up leaving with 20 praxis and over 60 thousand credits the first time. And that was without knowing where the breakable wall that hid a praxis kit was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dabir posted:

I exploited the gently caress out of Detroit and managed to end up leaving with 20 praxis and over 60 thousand credits the first time.
The amount of money you get thrown at you in that game is ridiculous. I don't think it's even possible to not end up with more money than you can possibly spend, and it makes the incredibly limited inventories of every shop in the game seem incredibly obnoxious. You've got thousands of credits and there's almost nothing worth buying.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mordaedil posted:

If anyone ever tells you that games aren't art...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Tiggum posted:

The amount of money you get thrown at you in that game is ridiculous. I don't think it's even possible to not end up with more money than you can possibly spend, and it makes the incredibly limited inventories of every shop in the game seem incredibly obnoxious. You've got thousands of credits and there's almost nothing worth buying.

In particular the limited consumable items. I don't see why I should not be able to spend 10000 credits to load up on near infinite power recharge items and just go nuts. But no, I guess I'll buy 3 and just deal. :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah the limited consumables thing was dumb, why do you need candy bars when you can lug around an entire jar of energy drink mix for 1/12th the efficiency?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JossiRossi posted:

In particular the limited consumable items. I don't see why I should not be able to spend 10000 credits to load up on near infinite power recharge items and just go nuts. But no, I guess I'll buy 3 and just deal. :(

I still cannot get the image out of me head of Jensen fighting some guys, pausing for a moment and then funneling a big vat of power shake.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Ugato posted:

It actually costs two because it's the initial strength upgrade. And that's two points you can put into hacking or some other upgrade that will get you all kinda of goodies and xp earlier than the game probably assumed you could. It makes you a much more efficient pacification machine.

Um, no. One point. See the wiki page.

Move/Throw Heavy Objects is an entirely different skill,as is Carrying Capacity, and none of them require the other.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Shei-kun posted:

Okay, that was absolutely beautiful. More games should let you do that sort of thing.

There's a lot of picking up and moving of heavy objects in DX:HR. But physics is unpredictable poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgc30sGYTdY

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Why did you sneak a Morgellon's disease picture into the science corner?

:psyduck:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Why did you sneak a Morgellon's disease picture into the science corner?

:psyduck:

:ssh: Please don't discuss the videos before I've released them!

But since I have now, the reason is because Dees thinks that Morgellons is caused by parasitic nanites released in chemtrails to infect the unsuspecting populace.

Also, I got a little carried away this week when it came time to find images for the Science Corner (keep in mind that I rename each one personally).

Handouts:

Chinese Silver Loaves
Dibbuk Meditations
MJ-12's List of Nano-Augs
JC Email: Welcome to the Fold
JC Email: Required Objectives
JC Email: SitRef
VersaLife Sign Ins
ALL SHIFTS Email: Weekly Memo
Justified Paranoia
VersaLife Security Log

Known misses: Both the front desk and the woman on the third shift have unique emails.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think that bit on Tong's face is supposed to be a birthmark/Port Wine stain. His dad had a rather prominent one too so it might be the side effect of some hereditary vascular disease.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Alright, I killed your boss! :v:

Man the voice acting in this game never gets old.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Did you use FF5 music because the approaching fiesta?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Easy there, Hideo Kojima

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What did you say that Tracer Tong had? I couldn't quite catch what you said, other than the rash part on both video and commentary on youtube.

I think there's an extra guard: The Secretary is armed, and I think she'll start killing every low level person on your return, if you choose to go through the main entrance.

You say "A molecule sized circuit". Try 7 atoms!, way less complex than the transistor you showcased. As for Graphene, it was a key to detect the Higgs Boson. Amazing stuff, really. Heck, a few weeks ago I was on a talk where the author of this paper had a prototype of a device that can do on the site lab work quick and cheap.

As for the solar energy led roads that you mention on 39:40, there's all sorts of issues with the project not just in terms of cost, from a fragile material that won't stand repeated stress and would screw up in rainy conditions/material drain, a colored material that will halt the solar energy reception in those cells, the sheer level of light pollution to even be noticeable at most light conditions and speed at such an angle and so on.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'll take a pair of those nanosocks, thanks in advance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'll take a pair of those nanosocks, thanks in advance.

Yeah, I gotta know what these are.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They're NanoSilver socks, which it didn't take long until this idea shat the bed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Kunster posted:

What did you say that Tracer Tong had?

Rosacea, basically freckles plus.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Finally a lecture about nanomachines! :woop: :woop:

Also yes that is a real recipe, it's more common in Northern China which has its cuisine more based in flour, whereas the South of China has its cuisine more based on rice. It's prepared fresh from the pot and usually only found in restaurants rather than your basic eateries.

And yes, 1997 was the year that Hong Kong became freely independent from British control, they're still in the Commonwealth but they now run their own stuff without needing to refer to us or anything. They still use our layout and mandates for courts of law, it's incredibly bizarre to see a British-style courts of wigs and robes all speaking Cantonese, until they have to say "I object m'lord".
Police Story A was hilarious to watch even moreso for me because of this.

Seriously though, nanomachines, gently caress yes I've been waiting for this moment the entire LP honestly when you start really getting into the hi-tech poo poo here. I absolutely love the concept of nanotechnology and this game has influenced a lot about the way I treat future technology.

Lastly, I will say one odd thing that is different between the PS2 port and the PC original of this game. VersaLife's main reception area does not have that music, that music does not exist anywhere in the PS2 version along with the other three songs associated with this theme for its battle, dialogue and death variations. Instead they just reuse the music from Canal Road. Strange.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Nanotechnology is what gives me a sliver of hope in my little black heart that we are going to bail ourselves out of our seemingly inevitable environmental destruction through technology, even though we could already muster the ability to do it if it weren't for a frothy mix of politics and stupidity.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Here's where I use the LP as an excuse to figure out some of the DX lore that's also made me wonder.

Useful Cantonese time.
"Um goi jie guo" means "Excuse me so I can pass." "Um goi" (唔該) is adequate for getting people's attention in Hong Kong.
"Neh hoh mah?" (你好嗎?), what the LP guy says as JC is turning away from the upstairs security terminal, means "how are you?"

The recipe for "Chinese silver loaves" listed in game shows how to make the dough, but not how to prepare it or cook it. This has thrown DX fans for a loop over the past 10 years, and most of the Internet references you'll find on "Chinese silver loaves" are DX references. This German-speaking DX fan makes the dough into balls, then slices open the tops and bakes them on trays. This guy did a similar job of baking them as big loaf-rolls.

But, it's possible neither did it right. "Silver thread loaves" (銀絲卷) are made by rolling up fingers or even noodles of sweet dough inside a larger flat sheet of dough, then steaming. That's the procedure here, and the dough recipe is similar to the one in Deus Ex. You can also deep-fry the loaves after steaming. The noodles can be flavored in other ways, such as with tomato juice, in this blog post.

The quote from Tracer Tong at 6:26 is referenced in a segment of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (originally for just preorders, then restored with the Missing Link expack), when Adam Jensen goes to rescue a younger Tong and ends up telling him the same phrase as advice. "I will ... try to remember that."

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

FinalGamer posted:

Lastly, I will say one odd thing that is different between the PS2 port and the PC original of this game. VersaLife's main reception area does not have that music, that music does not exist anywhere in the PS2 version and instead they just reuse the music from Canal Road. Strange.

Also, I suspect Thomas Newman is a fan. Compare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTvHsHx4TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1it64e2KTI

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

J.theYellow posted:

Here's where I use the LP as an excuse to figure out some of the DX lore that's also made me wonder.

Useful Cantonese time.
"Um goi jie guo" means "Excuse me so I can pass." "Um goi" (唔該) is adequate for getting people's attention in Hong Kong.
"Neh hoh mah?" (你好嗎?), what the LP guy says as JC is turning away from the upstairs security terminal, means "how are you?"
FINALLY!

I've been wondering for years what the hell that phrase meant, finally I can write off that mystery from my mind! :ms:

Also that's a really nice touch that they used the British spelling for "Honour" inside VersaLife, that was something I never noticed until now.

...that...is...eerily similar in its backbeat :stare: Thomas Newman is a fantastic composer though so I expect nothing less from the guy that did the music of Finding Nemo.

Also that data entry worker had an Irish accent but he said he was from Northern Thailand as a worker. His Irish is pretty drat good I have to say unless that's not what it is but it sounded a lot like it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 2, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sidenote: I really, really like that they picked a character to have a really flashy green white and pink color scheme for one of the two patrolling characters in Tonochi Road so that you could notice her walking on the ground from Versalife. I haven't checked if you can notice the patrolling soldier as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FinalGamer posted:

Also that data entry worker had an Irish accent but he said he was from Northern Thailand as a worker. His Irish is pretty drat good I have to say unless that's not what it is but it sounded a lot like it.

No, he said in a past life he was a farm mule pulling a plow in Northern Thailand.

• Locked thread