Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Hedrigall posted:

What about Ned, Robb or Cat?
Two and a half main characters in a violent fantasy series really isn't all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Personally I judge everyone's likeability out of 100 swags.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Between that and the ludicrously circuitous plan to poison Joffrey, I've seen two of my least favorite tropes this season in a series that I previously had thought was above that.

What was so ludicrous about it?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Max posted:

As much as they might hate it, fighting in a trial by combat is a glorified gentleman's duel, so even if a prince dies, it wouldn't grant you a cause for war.

Lopping off the head of the king's sister definitely is though.

Also this is a character who lived and died by the motto how "Dorne doesn't hurt little girls," and obviously detested using children like that. I couldn't see his wife going back and being like "Well gently caress every single one of his last wishes, kill the bitch."

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Personally I judge everyone's likeability out of 100 swags.

How many do I get?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Grim Up North posted:

Personally, I thought this episode was superb and I only knew who was going to win, when Oberyn started the fight by prancing around. I know this is goonsay, but I agree with whoever said that the fight was Dark Souls as gently caress.
I knew he was going to die the second he came into the series, because he's a beautiful, charming and badass sexhaver nobody could dislike. In other words, he was the antithesis to GURM, meaning he was never meant to be. RIP Oberyn, you were a bright spark in this otherwise drab season.

e: i also knew the second i got so bored by this season i decided to just read some spoilers. but that was after he came into the series.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2014

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
That fight was awesome. I had no idea what exactly was going to happen but I had a feeling it was bad news bears for Oberyn. That whole time where he had him on the ropes I could feel my muscles tensing with just "oh my god just kill him!".

Watching this like walking embodiment of evil pop the head of the coolest new dude on the show while gloating about his past heinous crimes was a pretty big bummer though.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Wow, the end of that fight got a much louder "holy poo poo" from me than even the Red Wedding did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

oswald ownenstein posted:

I haven't read the books but I read the wiki based on the books and I believe they don't do the whole 'mountain gets owned and stabbed all over' quite the same - more like got nicked a few times so it's much more believable.

It's the same, almost exactly.

People are kind of missing that the entire point of the character coming to King's Landing was to implicate Tywin, and he was using the duel to attempt to do so. His goal wasn't simply to "kill the Mountain," but you don't realize that until he starts monologuing at the end of the fight. This was somewhat subtly shown in the show, but solidified during the battle, with the full revelation of his game only coming at the end of the battle.

He was playing nice with Tywin until he got a chance to prove what he had done.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R. Mute posted:

I knew he was going to die the second he came into the series, because he's a beautiful, charming and badass sexhaver nobody could dislike. In other words, he was the antithesis to GURM, meaning he was never meant to be. RIP Oberyn, you were a bright spark in this otherwise drab season.

e: i also knew the second i got so bored by this season i decided to just read some spoilers. but that was after he came into the series.

I'd say him being 150 lbs fighting a 450 lbs monstrosity in armor was more of a reason he died than GRRM hating the popular kids in high school.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

The second was the stupid way that Oberyn died. We expect that whoever we like has an above average chance to die in this story, which actually makes the death of any character less shocking at this point. If Oberyn had died during the actual combat, I would have found it acceptable. Instead we got a cliche, horror movie death. "Oh no! You thought the bad guy was defeated, but he's really not. I totally surprised you." is a staple that is rarely done right, and seemed shoe-horned in here just because GRRM is running out of ways to shock us.

I really don't get this complaint. Oberyn knew The Mountain wasn't dead, his whole thing was he was dragging out the guy's death to try and extract a confession and in doing so left himself open to a guy whose sole character trait is his ridiculous strength and brutality. If he'd just lost the fight and got chopped up or something it would have been a pretty pointless and underwhelming end for his character, whereas it's classic tragedy for a character to be undone by their own essential flaws, Oberyn's being his overconfidence and single-mindedness.

ByteS
Oct 10, 2011
Three things

And gently caress you GRRM :argh:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hiddenmovement posted:

How many do I get?

Well everyone here is worse than Stannis so like, two maybe.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Doltos posted:

I'd say him being 150 lbs fighting a 450 lbs monstrosity in armor was more of a reason he died than GRRM hating the popular kids in high school.
Maybe GURM identifies with the 450 lbs monstrosity.

GURM likes to throw out twists like that - what with the whole Dothraki vs armour speech and Bron moon-dooring Sir Whatsit. I guess that got stale and he decided to twist it again.

Anyway, it's probably because his death drives the plot to where it needs to go or blah blah blah.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

hiddenmovement posted:

Had a ten hour drive today. Listened to Hardcore History by Dan Carlin, first 3 parts of his ongoing series into World War 1.

George has a point.

I've been doing research on the Mexican cartel. gently caress yes does George have a point.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not before he goes to the wall for his sword :clint:

Jorah Last seen: carrying his printer home :(

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I love that Cersei is the only Lannister child who is legally not a Kingslayer, even though Tyrion didn't do his, and Jaime's deserved it hard.

hiddenmovement posted:

Well I don't really care that much about prince fancy pants it was just that not only did their prince die during what was essentially a diplomatic visit, he died a particularly gruesome, insulting death, and the mountain admitted proudly and publicly that he'd raped and murdered Oberyn's sister. The logical outcome is hosed relations, and considering how many enemies the Lannisters have, possibly a military alliance with one of those enemies. That would quell all the people who think the prince died for nothing as well.

This is Game of Thrones is it not...?

I mean, we've seen tons of characters who were openly disgusted with the poo poo Joffrey pulled. Yes, there are psychos, that doesn't mean everyone is one, or are even okay with the ones who are. Oberryn could've been lying and Mycella is secretly being held in a torture dungeon, but it is possible his family is actually decent, since he seemed to be. They're definitely going to be mad, and may declare war, but that doesn't mean Mycella comes home in a few hundred boxes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

She still has Barriston. He's also a voice of reason, perhaps even more so. If something happens to him now, though, she's up poo poo creek without a paddle.

She doesn't listen to him or trust him to nearly the same extent (she listened to Jorah about not killing dudes, she ignored Selmy), and is now less likely to be willing to listen to anyone, especially someone from Westeros.

To be fair, Aegon conquered Westeros centuries before the time of the series and is responsible for uniting most of Westeros, which would have pettily fought war after war over bullshit had he not done so. The invasion also paved the way for the Tyrells to become the powerful family that they are, and helped make the Ironborn the hilariously stupid assholes that they are.

I'd say overall that the Targaryens were a positive influence on Westeros, even if the most recent Targaryen king was completely insane. Joffrey would have been even worse had he not been poisoned.

Stannis should win it all though, not her.

Well, validating the Ironborn is not a positive mark for anyone.

The usurper was also a positive force for Westeros. The Mad King was burning dudes left and right. Kinda like someone we know who is trying to be king right now, actually. Seriously, how the gently caress can anyone root for Stannis?

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Also, it's not a goth look, she's trying to pass herself off in the Eyrie as Littlefinger's niece, Ladyfinger.

drat that's a good nickname.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R. Mute posted:

Maybe GURM identifies with the 450 lbs monstrosity.

GURM likes to throw out twists like that - what with the whole Dothraki vs armour speech and Bron moon-dooring Sir Whatsit. I guess that got stale and he decided to twist it again.

Anyway, it's probably because his death drives the plot to where it needs to go or blah blah blah.

I think the only character GRRM realistically identifies with is whoever is rich as poo poo and doesn't give a gently caress.

But seriously though GRRM is into characters defining the story instead of the other way around. Bron is described as a really skilled sellsword that Tyrion notices is better than the average sellsword. GRRM says he moves like a panther in battle and that his sword seems a part of his arm. So, in the character driven story, Bron would probably be superior to Sir Whatsit in his big cumbersome armor in a fight since Bron was made to brawl dirty, which he did to win that fight.

I read the books so I won't spoil anything either way, but in my opinion pretty much every death was in this series is brought about by the faults of the character who dies. Like:

Ned - Full of honor, too stupid to realize he's getting backstabbed.
Robb - Full of honor, too stupid to realize he's getting backstabbed.
Catelyn - Stupid rash decision making idiot who walked into a trap.
Joffrey - Petulant little turd that everyone wanted to kill
Robert - Over confident drunkard who got drunk and died to a wild animal
Lysa - Bat poo poo crazy and set herself up for betrayal
Oberyn - So worried about finding his sister's killers that it blinded him (literally)

Like it's fun to say GRRM kills people for no reason but there's always a valid reason bros die in this show.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

If you guys want to know a cool little trivial connection between characters:

This dude who listened to Sansa's confession in the Vale...

In 500 years, are people going to make shows set in a real or fantasy turn-of-the-millenium America, where people walk around in bullet proof vests at all times?

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, it would be high treason (she's the king's sister). It would also be loving twisted (she's a little girl, and not even the Lannisters killed the girl they had captive), and if his family respects Oberryn, they are likely also not psychos.

"Elia of Dorne. You raped her, you murdered her. You killed her children"

Oberyn shouts this several times during the fight. The Lannisters have already had little children killed, that's one of the main reasons Oberyn was there. Do you not remember in the first series when Cersei had every one of Robert's bastards in King's Landing murdered, babies and all?

In my mind the significance of the trial for the Martells is that the Mountain just admitted to raping and murdering Elia Martell in front of all the nobility in King's Landing, something which Tywin at the very least permitted. As far as I'm aware before that it was just an allegation. Doran Martell might not have much official recourse to Oberyn dying in a trial by combat (not that it would necessarily stop him from seeking retribution anyway), but confirmation that Tywin ordered (or at least permitted) the rape and murder of his little sister would probably interest him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, validating the Ironborn is not a positive mark for anyone.

The usurper was also a positive force for Westeros. The Mad King was burning dudes left and right. Kinda like someone we know who is trying to be king right now, actually. Seriously, how the gently caress can anyone root for Stannis?

No, he didn't validate them, he crushed them and sent them back to their dumb island to go be dumb fucks. I'd wager they're so useless now because Aegon killed everyone who knew how to conquer anything.

Also Stannis is the rightful king and I will hear no arguments to the contrary. :flame:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Pedro Pascal @PedroPascal1
Ouch.

Pedro Pascal @PedroPascal1
i poo poo you not, i can't get rid of this headache.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

bob holness paradox posted:

Oberyn shouts this several times during the fight. The Lannisters have already had little children killed, that's one of the main reasons Oberyn was there. Do you not remember in the first series when Cersei had every one of Robert's bastards in King's Landing murdered, babies and all?

Pretty sure that was Joffrey who gave the order for the KL bastard purge, just that everyone suspected Cersei first.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I still cannot stop that scene playing in my head. It really had me hosed up last night and I'm not one to be squeamish. I was reading the GBS thread about OSHA and saw some really horrific things, but that whole scene was somehow worse than that and it was fictional. I suppose it's just that slight glimmer of hope you get when he has the mountain pinned to the ground, and how loving fast it's dashed just because he was caught off balance.

Also the screams. Those loving screams.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Vernii posted:

Pretty sure that was Joffrey who gave the order for the KL bastard purge, just that everyone suspected Cersei first.

Either way, the Lannisters aren't above killing children if they need/want to.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Saw this last night. loving lol. Best part is when he compares Oberyn to himself.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Oh holy gently caress look at this.

http://instagram.com/p/mVN1fdvAzU/

2 months ago. God drat.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Vernii posted:

Better example is the first episode, where she has her brother toss a child out of a window.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Doltos posted:

Like it's fun to say GRRM kills people for no reason but there's always a valid reason bros die in this show.
Yeah, sure, no (semi-decent) writer is going to kill of his characters just to kill them off, but that's pretty much a given, really. All of those deaths you mention directly drove the story onwards or developed another character - the only way a character would die for no reason is if they die and it doesn't influence anything at all. You could say that even the death of an extra drives a point home about whoever is killing them (like 'gosh, those marauding wildlings sure are brutal' or 'wow, i guess we really shouldn't trust this littlefinger guy')

That said, I don't think they're being killed specifically for their faults. Everyone is pretty much flawed in this series and some people are still alive. e: FOR NOW

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I didn't mind anything in this show other than that the Orson scene is contrived as hell. Blunt force symbolism to the head.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

On Terra Firma posted:

2 months ago. God drat.

Posted maybe 8 times already in this thread

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bob holness paradox posted:

In my mind the significance of the trial for the Martells is that the Mountain just admitted to raping and murdering Elia Martell in front of all the nobility in King's Landing, something which Tywin at the very least permitted. As far as I'm aware before that it was just an allegation. Doran Martell might not have much official recourse to Oberyn dying in a trial by combat (not that it would necessarily stop him from seeking retribution anyway), but confirmation that Tywin ordered (or at least permitted) the rape and murder of his little sister would probably interest him.

Joffrey Baratheon killed lots of people, including children, yes. He was a psycho. But the Lannisters didn't kill the noble child they held (and, in fact, made sure Joffrey didn't do it either).

Tywin probably did order the deaths of the Targaryen grandchildren, because alive they were far too dangerous (though since he didn't get the king's actual children, I'm not sure there was a point).
The violence the Mountain employed in the process was likely "his own way of doing things", and honestly, killing and raping Elia was probably the Mountain being the Mountain, since she didn't need to die, not being a Targaryen.

The Lannisters did not kill any kids out of spite, even after both sons were taken prisoner, and the pretty one was maimed, and they are the ones everyone thinks of as vicious cunts. I really doubt Dorne will get in on it.

No, he didn't validate them, he crushed them and sent them back to their dumb island to go be dumb fucks. I'd wager they're so useless now because Aegon killed everyone who knew how to conquer anything.

Also Stannis is the rightful king and I will hear no arguments to the contrary. :flame:

Rightful kings aren't kinslaying jerks.

If it comes down to Stannis vs Dany to decide who will be the champion of fire, I might legit have to root for the Whitewalkers.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Better example is the first episode, where she has her brother toss a child out of a window.

I always read that scene as Jaime deciding to do it, and Cersei almost being shocked. I had forgotten about it, but they had a valid reason to want to kill Bran: if they get caught red handed, they both lose their heads. That doesn't make it okay, but it doesn't count as gratuitous child killing.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 2, 2014

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just hope the actor gets some serious recognition out of it. He really sold it quick.

This could be the kind of career-launchpad role for him, honestly; he stuck around long enough to make a very positive impression with everyone, then checks out before he gets typecast or tied to the show as a supporting character.

What's so impressive is that he made himself a fan favorite in such little time. I really want to see him in more stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Soulprospector posted:

I haven't read the books but given the history of the show, I knew he wouldn't win the fight. The whole "Oh, but no! This show is different and what you don't expect to happen, happens" shtick is getting old. It's like the opposite of a formulaic drama. It would have surprised me if Cersei and Tywin actually got what is coming to them.

Should be easy to predict the next major character to die then, yeah? I mean done it's do formulaic and all. Pm me your guess (although it's less of a guess and more just filling in the blanks b/c of your insight).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

bryn987 posted:

Loved the scenes with Sansa and look forward to her progression. Regarding the fight, my feels :(

Agreed. Suddenly, Sansa is an interesting character.

I'm still reeling over Oberyn. I guess the reason it blew my mind (hurr) so much is because so much time and energy was invested into building his character and now...nothing. Feels almost like a waste for them to end it all so soon. I know that this changes the dynamic of the relationship between the Lanisters and Dorne, but we know so little about the Dornish people that it's hard to wrap my mind around what that all really means. I guess it would be interesting to see if this leads to them getting backing from the Iron Bank but that isn't quite as compelling a story as "handsome prince from an exotic land who is on a quest for revenge". I love you GoT, but you're suffering from a serious lack of compelling characters who aren't also pieces of poo poo. There's only so many good characters left for them to kill.

I like the curveball with Jorah's character. Danys' plot has been suffering from a serious lack of conflict given how she's pretty much been steamrolling over all her enemies since season 3. Finding out that one of her closest allies has been conspiring against her since the start gives her story some flavor. I'm also curious to see where this whole Missandei/Grey semi-romance plot is going, especially if it leads to us getting to see more of Nathalie Emmanuel nude because drat that woman is fine. :quagmire:

I sure hope this Bran storyline goes somewhere. I want to like it, I really do but at times it feels like I'm watching Avatar the Last Airbender only with more torture and fewer interesting things happening. They tormented Hordor, drat near raped Meera, they're cold, hungry and surrounded by both wildlings and whitewalkers. Why are they out there in the middle of nowhere again? Because Bran had a dream about a bird? I sure hope this pays off.

And where's my Brienne and Rod? They're my favorites. :(

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I didn't mind anything in this show other than that the Orson scene is contrived as hell. Blunt force symbolism to the head.

You're just mad because they called him Orson.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm wondering where Arya will go next. It's highly unlikely the mooks guarding the Bloody Gate even know anything beyond--her aunt is dead and Petyr's there. So, the Hound could plop Arya there or he could drag her to the Wall but he already told some guard her real name. The Vale would take her in, but I doubt they'd pay for her. Same goes for the Wall.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

2 months ago. God drat.

:tviv: :aaa: :master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

You're just mad because they called him Orson.

I might be. He was the worst character on the lovely half of the Garfield Show, after all.

• Locked thread