Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The real meaning of the beetles scene was obviously a veiled jab at Orson Scott Card. GRRM can't stand bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I might be. He was the worst character on the lovely half of the Garfield Show, after all.

Wait. Which half wasn't lovely.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobo the Red posted:

Relations with Dorne are likely hosed, and if the Lannisters are lucky, all they'll do is secede, but I don't see them killing her and sending her head back. Honestly, they might even just send her back because keeping her as a hostage is fairly distasteful.

No, she was sent there to marry one of the Prince's sons. Pretty sure she's stuck there, though I agree that the royal plan, regardless of how it proceeds, probably isn't going to be as petty and cruel as murdering a child.

That's why the whole "Myrcella going to another wherever" thing was important. Sending her on a vacation wouldn't have been big enough to work for Tyrion's plot. The other possibilities were marrying Robyn (I think), and... I forgot, some other person. But, yeah. There's more keeping her gone than Tyrion wanting her out of King's Landing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Russell William Thorpe posted:

In 500 years, are people going to make shows set in a real or fantasy turn-of-the-millenium America, where people walk around in bullet proof vests at all times?

That's 'Bronze' Yohn Royce; the most famous thing about him is his breastplate. It's really old and he claims it's magical.

Edit: it's kinda like Johnny Cash wearing black, he didn't have to, but it was part of his public image.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 2, 2014

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I swear the old lady in the Sansa scene looks like Joffrey.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i expected oberyns actor to be a little more buff tbh

Do you see what he's standing next to?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just got to watching it. It was a hell of a gauntlet to keep spoiler free today.

Welp, that happened, that's pretty much all I can say.
Valar morghulis, you dumb, smug bastard.

Maybe Oberyn's evil twin Shmoberyn will turn up later to avenge his sister AND brother (only to be curbstomped by the Mountain, who clearly was just resting at the end of the fight).

Edit: That was some first grade scream queen poo poo Ellaria's actress pulled off there.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 2, 2014

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
While the fight scene was impressively gory in that disturbing way, I'm just happy that they didn't stick to the book line by line for Moat Cailin. That was worse for me than the fight.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Am I the only one that noticed/thought that Sansa's new dress looks almost exactly like Catelyn's green one? It's obvious she knows what she's doing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bob holness paradox posted:

"Elia of Dorne. You raped her, you murdered her. You killed her children"

Oberyn shouts this several times during the fight. The Lannisters have already had little children killed, that's one of the main reasons Oberyn was there. Do you not remember in the first series when Cersei had every one of Robert's bastards in King's Landing murdered, babies and all?

In my mind the significance of the trial for the Martells is that the Mountain just admitted to raping and murdering Elia Martell in front of all the nobility in King's Landing, something which Tywin at the very least permitted. As far as I'm aware before that it was just an allegation. Doran Martell might not have much official recourse to Oberyn dying in a trial by combat (not that it would necessarily stop him from seeking retribution anyway), but confirmation that Tywin ordered (or at least permitted) the rape and murder of his little sister would probably interest him.

Yeah, this is what I'm getting out of it. Dorne will probably be pissed Oberyn died, but won't be able to officially react due to the nature of a trial by combat. But The Mountain *did* explicitly admit to murdering Elia and her children, and that's something Dorne can respond to.

Of course, I hope this doesn't mean they kill Myrcella. I'd love it if the Martells weren't total douchebags, who murder a child to avenge murdered children.

Doesn't Oberyn have children? I can't wait for them to march on Casterly Rock and then be murdered terribly.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Kasonic posted:

Am I the only one that noticed/thought that Sansa's new dress looks almost exactly like Catelyn's green one?
Well, she did get it out of Cat's sister's closet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macrame_God posted:

I'm still reeling over Oberyn. I guess the reason it blew my mind (hurr) so much is because so much time and energy was invested into building his character and now...nothing. Feels almost like a waste for them to end it all so soon.
SMASH BEETLES

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

But The Mountain *did* explicitly admit to murdering Elia and her children, and that's something Dorne can respond to.

Pretty sure it can be played off as "Dying rear end in a top hat saying hurtful things to the guy that left him with mortal wounds, while crushing his skull in." It'd be easy to play it off as nothing more than using the thing Obreyn kept shouting against him in his dying breath and for Twyinn to claim he had nothing to do with it.

So all they're left with, still, is accusations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm getting out of it. Dorne will probably be pissed Oberyn died, but won't be able to officially react due to the nature of a trial by combat. But The Mountain *did* explicitly admit to murdering Elia and her children, and that's something Dorne can respond to.

Of course, I hope this doesn't mean they kill Myrcella. I'd love it if the Martells weren't total douchebags, who murder a child to avenge murdered children.

Doesn't Oberyn have children? I can't wait for them to march on Casterly Rock and then be murdered terribly.

But the Dornish already hate the living poo poo out of the Lannisters. The guy who brokered the original deal with them is going to be executed and Oberyn's already dead. Basically what I'm saying is that they've got something to get angry over and all of the goodwill that was built up by the Lannisters disappears with Tyrion's head.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mcbexx posted:

Edit: That was some first grade scream queen poo poo Ellaria's actress pulled off there.

Yeah, giving props to her. That scream sounded absolutely authentic.

I think what sold it was she wasn't going for "horrifed scream" like most actress do; namely screaming like they are scared. This was infused with a "watching your whole life implode" kind of desperation that made it work.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Well, she did get it out of Cat's sister's closet.

And wasn't she tailoring it in the bedroom scene? I suppose the feathers are Arryn style.

Normally I would enjoy the "young woman manipulates middle-aged guy" story. But with Littlefinger the risk seems a bit high.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lena Headey is awesome. Which is ironic because the first time I saw her was as Sarah Connor in TSCC, and I thought she was the most miscast/weakest on the show. But since then between stuff like this and movies like Dredd, she's totally won me over.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

And wasn't she tailoring it in the bedroom scene? I suppose the feathers are Arryn style.

Normally I would enjoy the "young woman manipulates middle-aged guy" story. But with Littlefinger the risk seems a bit high.
Yeah but it'll be pretty delicious if, after everything Littlefinger's done and been through, his downfall ultimately comes from getting played by a teenage girl.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Lovely interview with Pedro Pascal (Oberyn's actor).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/01/game-of-thrones-oberyn-dead/

quote:

In your mind, what did your character do wrong?
Getting too close and being too far delivered by his own passions. Because ultimately, it is about defeating this man who raped and killed his sister, but before he can do that, before he can end this man’s life, he needs a confession. He needs to hear it. And interestingly I had this great conversation with [Thrones co-star] Lena Headey about Oberyn’s journey, and how even though it ends badly, he still hears the confession, you know? I don’t even need to go on after that once it’s been said out loud. And the ecstasy of achieving that, even though it’s being achieved in the instance of my demise.

What was your last day on set like?
It was really lovely and peaceful. It was the scene strolling through the garden with Lena Headey and the last thing they shot was when I was looking out into at Adriatic Sea. Then I tore off my costume and jumped into the ocean. Then I said goodbye to everybody and got in the van and rode to the airport.

What will you take away from this experience?
Playing the best character I have ever played in the greatest cast I have ever been a part of, and working with HBO and [showrunners] Dan and David was an opportunity of a lifetime. I wouldn’t know how to simplify that into a pat answer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

What's so impressive is that he made himself a fan favorite in such little time. I really want to see him in more stuff.

You know, this is really out of left field, but he's the kind of actor that Marvel tends to grab up: Notably charismatic, up and coming but also not overly well known. I'm not sure who they could cast him as, but I have a feeling the actor would just.. click in that environment, really well.

I don't know why exactly, but it really wouldn't shock me if it happened in a couple years. Maybe it's the fact I could picture him delivering some really corny banter but sell it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BubbleGoose posted:

Doesn't the Lannister stronghold literally sit on a mountain of gold (okay, maybe just a big hill)? If the Mountain is the symbol of the Lannister's power, and he dies, it could symbolize the waning of their power. And the Lannister goldmines are tapped. That's just my thinking, anyway.
Maybe you've already considered this, but if you take this symbolism further, it's a sign that even when the Lannisters are in their death throes they're still extremely lethal.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Yorkshire Tea posted:

But the Dornish already hate the living poo poo out of the Lannisters. The guy who brokered the original deal with them is going to be executed and Oberyn's already dead. Basically what I'm saying is that they've got something to get angry over and all of the goodwill that was built up by the Lannisters disappears with Tyrion's head.

Tyrion's head will disappear with the rest of his body onto a boat :colbert: come on Varys, I need this

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, this is really out of left field, but he's the kind of actor that Marvel tends to grab up: Notably charismatic, up and coming but also not overly well known. I'm not sure who they could cast him as, but I have a feeling the actor would just.. click in that environment, really well.

I don't know why exactly, but it really wouldn't shock me if it happened in a couple years. Maybe it's the fact I could picture him delivering some really corny banter but sell it.

I can see him being the new Tony Stark once RDJ calls it quits.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
While I totally had a crush on Oberyn, his death didn't freak me out as much as it should have because all I could think about was that one .gif from Scanners. :stonklol:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

I've been doing research on the Mexican cartel. gently caress yes does George have a point.

A lot of South America drug cartels routinely do poo poo that make the Lannisters or even the Boltons look timid, it's true.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doflamingo posted:

I can see him being the new Tony Stark once RDJ calls it quits.

Did they ever end up casting anyone for Dr. Strange yet?

I don't know much about that character but he seems like he has the look down absolutely pat.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I really liked the scene where Theon is pretending to still be his old self and the Ironborn leader starts giving this speech about Ironborn never surrendering then get instantly killed right after by his own men, almost identical to Reek when he made that speech at Winterfell. That and the Arya laughing at the ridiculousness of it all (and of Sandor getting denied payment yet again).

Pooned fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 2, 2014

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did they ever end up casting anyone for Dr. Strange yet?

I don't know much about that character but he seems like he has the look down absolutely pat.

I was just thinking about him being Dr. Strange.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What's all this talk about Arya "snapping" upon hearing that her aunt died?
I think by now hearing that a relative has died will not faze her in the slightest, considering the poo poo she went through.

I took it she bursted out laughing that the Hound wouldn't get his bounty after dragging her rear end across half of the kingdom (even though they warmed up to each other).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mcbexx posted:

I took it she bursted out laughing that the Hound wouldn't get his bounty after dragging her rear end across half of the kingdom (even though they warmed up to each other).

I don't know how you got that.

It's plainly obvious: Every single time she tries to reunite with family, ANY family, even family she doesn't know.. they die right before she gets there. She has been on a non-stop quest to get to people who drop dead before she gets there.

Once is a tragedy, twice is horrible, but after a while.. yeah. That was a well earned moment of "gently caress it!" manic laughter, and pretty hilarious.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe you've already considered this, but if you take this symbolism further, it's a sign that even when the Lannisters are in their death throes they're still extremely lethal.

All men must die

Hopefully Cersei too :v:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Tyrion's sending Myrcella to Dorne was an olive branch to the Martells, which didn't really come across in the show since he was also using it to root out Cersei's man Pycelle (and possibly to hurt Cersei). Tywin built on that foundation by offering Oberyn a seat on the council - not only giving Dorne a semblance of power, but also putting an important Martell in King's Landing permanently. Both sides would have a "don't try anything, because we have one of yours" situation.

In essence, Tywin let things escalate and now his plan for unity of the seven kingdoms might be down the toilet. However, I imagine the fact that the Mountain raped and killed Oberyn's sister and murdered her children is not exactly a secret, nor is the fact that Tywin Lannister moves the Mountain. It's just that Dorne isn't going to risk a war with the Iron Throne just to bring Tywin to justice. Maybe they'll send someone else to take Oberyn's place on the council, but considering Oberyn only came because he thought he had a chance at revenge, and that got him killed... prolly not.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I wonder if it would be hard to watch your eyes get bloodily gouged out by a 7-foot monster.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

IMB posted:

I wonder if it would be hard to watch your eyes get bloodily gouged out by a 7-foot monster.

I would imagine you would scream horribly for a few seconds before your head caved in..

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
What the Flick!?'s reaction video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEG0Ybj7v4

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I love how this is looped so that it looks like they're having the conversation indefinitely.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, this is really out of left field, but he's the kind of actor that Marvel tends to grab up: Notably charismatic, up and coming but also not overly well known.

Yes! I was thinking the same thing. All during the fight my buds and I were saying he'd be a great X-Men character.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
The people complaining about Gregor's head smash being unrealistic are idiots. The human body can exert tremendous force even when it's missing limbs and has lost tons of blood. Read the accounts of war heroes and you will see men who killed dozens of others with their bayonets after they'd had their arm chopped off and been stabbed in the gut. I think there's also been some research that shows that huge men are more likely to survive being shot and stabbed because of the relative size of their organs. Adrenaline and discipline can make the human body do amazing things, and the human skull really isn't that strong. The eye sockets are a significant weak point in the structure and once you cause one minor fracture then the rest of the skull would cave in pretty easily.

More importantly this is a show where zombies rise from the dead with superhuman strength, and where the Mountain's younger brother can chop an armored man in half with his great sword. I can't remember this forum from 2 years ago but were people making similar complaints about the Hound chopping people in half? It's pretty much impossible to cut a man in half through the torso, but it becomes 5x as hard if he's simply wearing chain mail.

Petah fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

mcbexx posted:

She did a great job with limited screen time. She also pulled off a really sexy attitude and look, while in other roles she's very plain and dressed down. She reminded me of Gretchen from Breaking Bad, another actress who was great even though she wasn't on camera a whole lot.

• Locked thread