Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
McCarthy owns alot, but that seems like kind of a reach here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Laderhan posted:

It's kind of a risky pick, I agree. I think him being injury free and pitching in Safeco is going to help significantly.

We are also starting to get to the bottom barrel of SPs that have a major league track record, too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Laderhan posted:

He's a very low risk/reward pick given the remaining pitchers.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He's a hell of a lot better than a lot of the pitchers taken recently, imo. His peripherals are still looking good and he'd probably do well if he weren't pitching in such a hitter friendly environment half the time.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

So would anybody want a guy who's been a solid 2.5 WAR second baseman (Ellis) for a few seasons leading up to this season for their next pick? There's a player I want and I don't think he's going to make it to me and I'm kind of regretting I didn't take him instead.

I'd be interested, though I'm not sure if my pick is much better than your own. (SF giants)

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I hate you, CFBalla.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Hurray rotation complete.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Screen Door Slams posted:

I hate you, CFBalla.

I had to take him! I'm sorry :(

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Laderhan posted:

What do you guys think was best and worst pick value wise so far?

Mine are:

Best Value: Ian Desmond in the 4th
Worst Value: Brian Dozier in the 5th

Best pick so far is Jonathan Lucroy (by San Diego). He's arguably the 2nd-best catcher in baseball and he fell to the bottom of the 4th as the TWELFTH C off the board.

Worst pick is Miguel Sano (by the White Sox). Dude has never played above AA and he was rocking a 30% K rate in his half a season there. Came out to a whopping .236 batting average. He went before Lucroy. Kevin Youkilis is also completely unable to play at a Major League level, but he went 104 picks later so he's not so bad.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 2, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Which of you idiot nerds is questioning THE LONNIE

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

I'd be interested, though I'm not sure if my pick is much better than your own. (SF giants)

Yeah, since you're just 2 slots ahead of me I don't know if it will do me a lot of good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Yeah, since you're just 2 slots ahead of me I don't know if it will do me a lot of good.

If the dude I want is gone when my pick comes up (sixth pick next round) I will consider a trade but I don't know if I'd do it for Ellis.

San Diego has less than an hour to pick, by the way.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lorenzo cain with the elite name tool

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm really curious about how Dylan Bundy will do. I had him as a late pick flier but didn't expect him to be drafted so early. Same goes for Taijuan Walker (though I expected him to be drafted soon since he has a bigger ML track record).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm really curious about how Dylan Bundy will do. I had him as a late pick flier but didn't expect him to be drafted so early. Same goes for Taijuan Walker (though I expected him to be drafted soon since he has a bigger ML track record).
none of the projection systems have him having a good season this year, Walker is supposed to be average (~4 ERA)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Doing some thinking, will pick in a few

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I know I probably reached on Roberts, but the way I see it is he's pretty much the last 2B available that isn't a total liability at the plate.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Along that line, I would have liked Dee Gordan mostly because of his versatility but I don't think we can take 2 months of a season as evidence that he's learned how to hit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh man I might actually get to pick tonight!

(Not a chance)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Did the Nationals pick? I see a pick in the spreadsheet, but not in the thread. I'm ready whenever that gets determined.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Well nevermind.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 2, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

Did the Nationals pick? I see a pick in the spreadsheet, but not in the thread. I'm ready whenever that gets determined.

I PM'd him, but picks aren't official until they are posted in the thread. If his time runs out consider him skipped.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

tadashi posted:

Along that line, I would have liked Dee Gordan mostly because of his versatility but I don't think we can take 2 months of a season as evidence that he's learned how to hit.

yeah, I'm not sold on the bat at all but he's a slick fielder and can steal a ton of bags

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ugh. I didn't realize my turn was up now. Was thinking of trading these plus my 25th for anyone's next three, but fuckit. I'll just make some possibly horrible picks.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Pander posted:

Ugh. I didn't realize my turn was up now. Was thinking of trading these plus my 25th for anyone's next three, but fuckit. I'll just make some possibly horrible picks.

I deeply despise you for your picks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Really? I feel like they were reaches. I just picked out a couple guys on my worst fantasy team's roster that hadn't been picked yet.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Pander posted:

Really? I feel like they were reaches. I just picked out a couple guys on my worst fantasy team's roster that hadn't been picked yet.

They were both really high on my list of pitchers I want for my team.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I guess the Barves can leapfrog the Natinals at any time.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Uehara was already taken.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

what are the rules on picking after a non kosher pick?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Politicalrancor posted:

what are the rules on picking after a non kosher pick?

I think it's fairest to give the offending team their full pick clock to fix it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mornacale posted:

I think it's fairest to give the offending team their full pick clock to fix it.

true, i just don't want to miss my pick because Im west coast

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick has been fixed. Just frustrating that I specifically checked the "Drafted Pitchers" tab to make sure he was free. Apparently 2 rounds isn't enough time for some people to mark their picks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

San Diego coming up on one hour left to pick.

I feel like Castellanos is a pretty good get here. If I can get the guys I want with my next three picks I'm going to be thrilled.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

just realized that yasiel puig is playing in Boston which is pretty hilarious

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

San Diego coming up on one hour left to pick.

I feel like Castellanos is a pretty good get here. If I can get the guys I want with my next three picks I'm going to be thrilled.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he's too inexperienced to do much beyond provide a warm body. By age 24-27 he'll probably be a solid contributor, but he's got absolutely no major-league experience and a good-but-not-great minor league track record.

I know that most everyday 3B are gone, but there's still gotta be a punto or two better here than him right?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Corey Hart seems like a good pick, assuming the sim is as forgiving of injury as I'm led to believe. Dude mashed constantly from 2010-2012.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he's too inexperienced to do much beyond provide a warm body. By age 24-27 he'll probably be a solid contributor, but he's got absolutely no major-league experience and a good-but-not-great minor league track record.

I know that most everyday 3B are gone, but there's still gotta be a punto or two better here than him right?

His pre-season expecttions were pretty high. He's got a good hit tool and an above average eye, while playing decent defense at third. Depending on how the rest of my draft goes I could slot him in a number of spots in my lineup and be happy. There are a couple Puntos who have higher floors here but I'm going for a higher possible reward with this pick.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think he's definitely among the top few players available. You can't get everything at this point so his defense is what it is. He'll suffer a little from playing in San Diego but he's one of a few guys I was hoping would continue to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tillman's gif makes him look like the derpiest man alive.

• Locked thread