Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

I was laughing at the pillar and the stones for the whole episode until oberyn went all melon headed on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

More videos like this please! I hope people weren't waiting for episode 9 to start filming audience reactions because it's gonna be hard to beat that.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Petah posted:

I think there's also been some research that shows that huge men are more likely to survive being shot and stabbed because of the relative size of their organs. Adrenaline and discipline can make the human body do amazing things, and the human skull really isn't that strong. The eye sockets are a significant weak point in the structure and once you cause one minor fracture then the rest of the skull would cave in pretty easily. It's not like he crushed his skull by applying a

You sound like you have a lot of experience crushing people skulls, would you like to talk about it?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

gently caress. I'm still getting cold sweats from this. God dammit.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I hope that The Mountain succumbs to his wounds and Tyrion has to have a second (third) trial by combat, only this time Bronn comes and fights for that pampered little shot, knowing he won't have to fight that guy.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

I'm in tears over the mental image of Tywin declaring Tyrion's guilt then moonwalking offscreen

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Santheb posted:

I hope that The Mountain succumbs to his wounds and Tyrion has to have a second (third) trial by combat, only this time Bronn comes and fights for that pampered little shot, knowing he won't have to fight that guy.

Why the gently caress do people keep thinking this is how it works? Tywin straight up says at the end "Tyrion, you dead, son."

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Why the gently caress do people keep thinking this is how it works? Tywin straight up says at the end "Tyrion, you dead, son."

Because :( And I had forgotten about that too. I only watched it once too and was sorta :gonk: after the whole head explosion. Plus I mean it's not like people have said one thing and done another ever in the history of this show. Like I said, that's what I would like to see.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Telling thing about Cersei she doesn't even flinch at the gore. Jaime has done his fair share of battles, even killed with his bare hands, and even he looked sickened. Cersei just smiles. Goes to show how loathsome a human being she is.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Petah posted:

More videos like this please! I hope people weren't waiting for episode 9 to start filming audience reactions because it's gonna be hard to beat that.

There are several, but I liked this one best so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMTTw3n2nk

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Petah posted:

More importantly this is a show where zombies rise from the dead with superhuman strength, and where the Mountain's younger brother can chop an armored man in half with his great sword. I can't remember this forum from 2 years ago but were people making similar complaints about the Hound chopping people in half? It's pretty much impossible to cut a man in half through the torso, but it becomes 5x as hard if he's simply wearing chain mail.

Things people complained about during the Blackwater:

-Tyrion chopping of a dude's leg so easily
-Stannis cutting a dude's face in half
-The Hound bisecting that dude
-The angle that Poderick lanced the King's Guard, and how said lance snapped afterward

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Imagine if Cersei's smile dropped after the fight when she realizes Dorne has her daughter. Even if Dorne would never do anything she has to consider it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Sigh, he just put way too much emphasis on the confession.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The real meaning of the beetles scene was obviously a veiled jab at Orson Scott Card. GRRM can't stand bigotry.
This is incredible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A question for all the watchers who posted that they felt nauseated, kept their hands over their eyes or had trouble sleeping because of Oberyn's hamburger treatment: what was your reaction to seeing the ironborn mook's tortured, eye-gouged and almost completely flayed corpse earlier in the episode?

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
The act of eye-gouging phobia.

At least that's what it was for me. Other kinds of gore doesn't really affect me as much as oh my god he's squishing his eyes into his head and splatttt

edit: the screams

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Santheb posted:

Because :( And I had forgotten about that too. I only watched it once too and was sorta :gonk: after the whole head explosion. Plus I mean it's not like people have said one thing and done another ever in the history of this show. Like I said, that's what I would like to see.

Tyrion is probably going to get away, so look on the bright side. :)

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

There's actually a spoiler in the GoTviewers guide video thing the writers/HBO puts out after each episode. The long one where the writers talk about the whole episode. Confirming that the Viper poisoned the Mountain
So yeah, don't watch it if you care about that stuff.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

NihilCredo posted:

A question for all the watchers who posted that they felt nauseated, kept their hands over their eyes or had trouble sleeping because of Oberyn's hamburger treatment: what was your reaction to seeing the ironborn mook's tortured, eye-gouged and almost completely flayed corpse earlier in the episode?

Well, we didn't see the act of it, and we didn't have an emotional connection to him.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

We didn't watch his hopes dashed on a rock while he screamed for his life in pain as his body was flayed while he was still alive.

Kind of a huge difference.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

NihilCredo posted:

The thing is, you never see Ramsay flaying anyone. I think watching somebody do something so violent is (often) far more disturbing than just seeing the end result. This isn't to say corpses can't be disturbing, but there's something much more visceral about seeing another human being in pain, especially one you like and sympathise with. There's also the element of surprise. The ironborn were dead as soon as Theon walked into the castle, but with Oberyn it looked like he might even win.

Plus the eye-gouging. :cry:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Baldbeard posted:

There's actually a spoiler in the GoTviewers guide video thing the writers/HBO puts out after each episode. The long one where the writers talk about the whole episode. Confirming that the Viper poisoned the Mountain
So yeah, don't watch it if you care about that stuff.

It's not a spoiler if you have the slightest bit of common sense, and you pay attention. Bitch.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
The hero almost never gets a gruesome death like that.

Sometimes lackeys do - people that we're supposed to not like that much because they are douchey or smoke cigarettes or cowardly or whatever criteria horror movies usually have. Oberyn was a great character, an alpha hero type, and it makes it that much worse.

Plus the eye gouging thing is more brutal than a bunch of MK fatalities. I can barely watch 28 days later due to that scene.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
My dream scenario: Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya & the Hound wait out the rest of the plot in their skycastle as the goth kids of Westeros, dressed in black and muttering to themselves about chaos, death, lies, etc. Sansa and Littlefinger become the zany supervillain couple from Hudson Hawk while the Hound and Arya re-enact Leon The Professional.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't get why people keep saying gregor "came back from the dead" to smash Oberyn's face. Oberyn was still talking to him, as in, he knew he was loving alive and taunting him.

Also Tywin would have probably called the fight if it was clear the Mountain was dead.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

pigdog posted:

There are several, but I liked this one best so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMTTw3n2nk

Yeah, i'm sure the guy who paused the episode so he could set up his webcam and record him watching the fight and put it on youtube had no idea what was going to happen. At least pretend it's your friend recording it or something so it's a little believable.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

CJ posted:

Yeah, i'm sure the guy who paused the episode so he could set up his webcam and record him watching the fight and put it on youtube had no idea what was going to happen. At least pretend it's your friend recording it or something so it's a little believable.

I hope the goon mom who secretly recorded her daughter posts another reaction vid.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Tyrion is probably going to get away, so look on the bright side. :)

Definitely. He's gonna squirm his way out of this one way or another. Can't wait to see how. I'm not a book reader so I'm not 100% on that but I just can't see Tyrion getting whacked yet.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

On Terra Firma posted:

We didn't watch his hopes dashed on a rock while he screamed for his life in pain as his body was flayed while he was still alive.

Kind of a huge difference.

Yeah, his skinless body was a gruesome sight, but that was to be expected - the very minute he asked if the papers said they would live I knew what was coming ( and that they'd use this poor sob's body to showcase the aftermath ). But Oberyn... Man, I kind of didn't expect that. Sure, there was some fore-shadowing in the episode regarding the outcome of the fight, but I was foolish enough to think for a second there that "drat, Oberyn actually wins the day, how unexpected!". And then the show slapped me in the face for being the idiot that I was. I literally jumped out of my seat. I have a thing about fingers being pushed into eye-sockets - borderline phobia if you will. I was silent for quite some time after the episode ended.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

IMB posted:

I wonder if it would be hard to watch your eyes get bloodily gouged out by a 7-foot monster.

God of War already did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQLMcelqbQ&t=115s

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ekusukariba posted:

I'm in tears over the mental image of Tywin declaring Tyrion's guilt then moonwalking offscreen

I'm genuinely bothered anyone out there can put Stannis' swagger at loving 14/100.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

NihilCredo posted:

Bubblegoose posted:

Dude, that scene where the Ironborn look so hopeful that they'd be spared...gently caress. Theon looked so broken. I had to watch something happy after the episode ended.

Granted it was more the juxtaposition of the shots between that scene and the one before that gut punched me. Showing the guy's eye gouges out was nauseating, but I get they wanted to show his face.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every single week we have a bunch of book readers come in to tell us what happens next episode three minutes after the last one airs by pretending that they immediately noticed a minute plot detail (and weren't waiting for it). Sometimes they don't even bother with that much pretense. That's life in the GoT TV/IV thread.

That being said, it's not that anything major is getting spoiled, it's mostly just the :smug: of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Every single week we have a bunch of book readers come in to tell us what happens next episode three minutes after the last one airs by pretending that they immediately noticed a minute plot detail (and weren't waiting for it). Sometimes they don't even bother with that much pretense. That's life in the GoT TV/IV thread.

That being said, it's not that anything major is getting spoiled, it's mostly just the :smug: of it.

Not to worry, soon the point of divergence will come where the books either no longer apply or the remaining book spoilers are so jaw-dropping stupid and inept that no one will believe them anyway.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Macrame_God posted:

And where's my Brienne and Rod? They're my favorites. :(

They'll die next episode or the one after that, no worries.
Not a book reader, just to be clear.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Except when somebody posted "I can't see [list of 3 major characters] dying any time soon" and some smug wanker replied "Oh you sweet summer child" (ugh just typing that made me cringe), basically confirming that at least one of them does die. You don't have to directly state a spoiler in order to give away plot details!

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
My only complaint about this episode was that the editing during the combat trial was super obvious in trying to cover up what was probably terrible fight choreography/stunt doubling. It was kind of distracting at points. And usually I'm pretty impressed by action scenes on this show.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Had to go have a lie down after this episode :( Grim.

Seems like everyone worrying about likeable characters are forgetting the Tyrells :colbert: We need more of Margaery and Olanna being the most game ladies in Westeros. Arya is still alive and I can't see her character arc ending anytime soon but oh god I can't see how Tyrion is getting out of this (please no GRRM)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Macrame_God posted:

And where's my Brienne and Rod? They're my favorites. :(

mcbexx posted:

They'll die next episode or the one after that, no worries.

Brienne dies, Pod dies, Stannis dies, Melissandre dies, Danaerys dies, Jorah dies, Tommen, Cersei, Tywin, Tyrion, Jamie, Jon, Ygritte, Bran, everyone dies.

Season 7 follows the adventures of the baby White Walker and Talisa's resurrected zombie baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ellbent posted:

My dream scenario: Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya & the Hound wait out the rest of the plot in their skycastle as the goth kids of Westeros, dressed in black and muttering to themselves about chaos, death, lies, etc. Sansa and Littlefinger become the zany supervillain couple from Hudson Hawk while the Hound and Arya re-enact Leon The Professional.

I would pay cash money to hear Littlefinger and Sansa sing a duet of "Swinging on a Star."

• Locked thread