Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Oh god, I Bought A Rainforest on iPlayer is one of the most depressing programmes I've ever watched. Interesting - but so dispiriting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Searching for Sugarman's on there too, which apparently was really good.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mr. Squishy posted:

Searching for Sugarman's on there too, which apparently was really good.

It's a fantastically well made documentary but a load of the claims they make in it don't quite add up.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

It's a fantastically well made documentary but a load of the claims they make in it don't quite add up.

He was massive in Australia in the 80s, apparently. Didn't know about his fame in SA but he was hardly an unknown, either.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He was massive in Australia in the 80s, apparently. Didn't know about his fame in SA but he was hardly an unknown, either.

He was bug enough in Australia that his record company released a recording of one of his tours which mentions his South African fame in the sleeve notes:

http://sugarman.org/alive.html#sleeve posted:

The buyer demand generated by this airplay simply could not be met. Sussex had long gone bankrupt and, after warehouse stocks in America and South Africa were exhausted, import stores were turning away hundreds of willing purchasers. As word of mouth enhanced the popularity of the singer/songwriter and his bleak observations of hopelessness, a giant cassette network sprang up with friends taping their taped copy for friends who then ...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, it's a shame that there are some bits that didn't seem real. It's still pretty interesting, though.

The director died recently :(

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Somebody please commission this for a full series of 60 minute episodes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh my god it's back.

The single worst TV show EVER commissioned has returned for a second series.

Ladies and children first into the shelters, because it's the second coming of all that is wrong.

Badults is back.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Oh my god it's back.

Ladies and children first into the shelters, because it's the second coming of all that is wrong.

Badults is back.

I couldn't remember what this was and i realised my mind must have subconsciously wiped all memory of this terrible show because it was that terrible

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The single worst TV show EVER...

Badults is back.

I don't know man, have you watched Ejector Seat yet?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Oh my god it's back.

Badults is back.

I knew it's going to be Badults from the first sentence. That's not good at all. :smith:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah well Ray Mears is on at the same time so it's not hard to avoid.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oh my god it's back.

Badults is back.

Things like this make me glad I made sure to not watch it after reading in this very thread how bad it was. I wouldn't have thought anything that bad would get a second series, but shows what I know I guess.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did anyone watch the last episode of The Island? It was pretty good but they had a summary reel at the end and its a bit wtf; why didn't you show them building the drat rafts, crab pots or table!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Sri.Theo posted:

Did anyone watch the last episode of The Island? It was pretty good but they had a summary reel at the end and its a bit wtf; why didn't you show them building the drat rafts, crab pots or table!

Yeah that was annoying, I just figured that none of them had actually filmed anyone making that stuff. A shame either way.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
They had 28 days worth of footage to fit into six forty-five minute episodes, there just wasn't enough time I guess. I'd have liked it to have been longer, I was surprised to realise that it was the final episode yesterday.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Big Finish Productions, a British company specializing in audio plays that include Doctor Who and Blake’s 7, is releasing a four episode “season” of original audio episodes for the 1970’s series Survivors by Terry Nation. The series was about a plague that wipes out most of the civilized world and focuses on survivors in England and Scotland.

I ordered a copy because I’m a sucker for end-of-the-world stories and would be happy to post a review of it for this thread if anyone’s interested. It comes out at the end of June.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Badults may be bad, but it's no Coming of Age. :colbert:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

lionlegs posted:

Oh god, I Bought A Rainforest on iPlayer is one of the most depressing programmes I've ever watched. Interesting - but so dispiriting.

I watched the first episode but I couldn't bear how pompous, naive and overwhelmingly middle-class the guy is. I did like how the actual rainforest scientist he went to see completely called him out on his imperialism and childish ideas (not to his face, of course, that wouldn't be British).

I just cannot believe he literally thought all he had to do to prevent logging in an underfunded national park was to buy the bit of forest that connects it to the main road and put a no entry sign up.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The way Matt Berry says 'pictures' leaves me weak at the knees...when BBC Four finally comes to their senses and commissions that history documentary off me at last, I will request, nay, demand that Matt Berry narrate it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CobiWann posted:

Big Finish Productions, a British company specializing in audio plays that include Doctor Who and Blake’s 7, is releasing a four episode “season” of original audio episodes for the 1970’s series Survivors by Terry Nation. The series was about a plague that wipes out most of the civilized world and focuses on survivors in England and Scotland.

I ordered a copy because I’m a sucker for end-of-the-world stories and would be happy to post a review of it for this thread if anyone’s interested. It comes out at the end of June.

I was a massive fan of the original series (not so much the remake), so I'd be interested.

The series was pretty good, not just for portraying an england that never was after an apocalypse but in the way it was quite happy to kill off any character at the drop of a hat, usually in horrible ways. Puts some modern American shows to shame.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
The thread appears to harbour a considerable amount of love for Matt Berry and therefore may enjoy this bizarre music video that he features in for the track Reset by the awesome Three Trapped Tigers.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

CobiWann posted:

Yes please because the recent remake was shite!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

WastedJoker posted:

I don't work for the BBC but I do provide technical support for them.

Very interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

By 'end of June' read 'today'. Because Big Finish are a fickle god and release poo poo whenever they feel like.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kraxis posted:

The thread appears to harbour a considerable amount of love for Matt Berry and therefore may enjoy this bizarre music video that he features in for the track Reset by the awesome Three Trapped Tigers.

matt berry and three trapped tigers loving own

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Kraxis posted:

I'm not a fan of Matt Berry, and incase you were wondering I dont find him attractive

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

By 'end of June' read 'today'. Because Big Finish are a fickle god and release poo poo whenever they feel like.

I know, just when I was about to buy some of their Blake's 7 stuff too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I know, just when I was about to buy some of their Blake's 7 stuff too.

Where's my Benny Summerfield/Doctor Who crossover, BF?! :argh:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm watching the 'Welcome to Rio' series on BBC Iplayer and I have reached two conclusions.

1) The new BBC Iplayer is the biggest load of poo poo ever, why fix what wasn't broken?

2) The narration in this show is really bad. It's written from the perspective of the Favela residents, but the voice doesn't match up at all - And it's incredibly condescending, basically labeling the viewer as a 'dumb tourist'. There's a real disconnect to the viewer here and I'm not sure why they went with this angle.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Supernorn posted:

I'm watching the 'Welcome to Rio' series on BBC Iplayer and I have reached two conclusions.

2) The narration in this show is really bad. It's written from the perspective of the Favela residents, but the voice doesn't match up at all - And it's incredibly condescending, basically labeling the viewer as a 'dumb tourist'. There's a real disconnect to the viewer here and I'm not sure why they went with this angle.

I watched this the other day and feel exactly the same way. What should have been an interesting insight was just irritating enough to make me not give a poo poo about any of it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Supernorn posted:

1) The new BBC Iplayer is the biggest load of poo poo ever, why fix what wasn't broken?

I like the new actual video playing improvements.

The navigation is terrible though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

I like the new actual video playing improvements.

The navigation is terrible though.
What are you having trouble with because I just type the name of the program i want in the search box and then i watch it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Well yeah but they used to be in a nice list and you could look through, might be something you forgot about or wanted to see. Its poo poo.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There is still a list that you can look through. It's just formatted differently. You can even get a full a-z list of everything in a category just like you always could.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Dicky B posted:

What are you having trouble with because I just type the name of the program i want in the search box and then i watch it.

It's a lovely redesign made to cater to ipads and mobile devices. On desktop it wastes tons of real-estate - both the left and right sides of the site are totally empty, with useful features instead hidden away that require you to go to a new page. The 'What's Popular' section is relegated to a tiny horizontal section, and is limited to 5 programmes. The schedule isn't on the front page anymore either, which is a bit annoying. I don't particularly agree with the 'less is more' route they've gone with it. The previous layout was way easier to navigate because everything you needed was immediately there.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 8, 2014

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Supernorn posted:

It's a lovely redesign made to cater to ipads and mobile devices. On desktop it wastes tons of real-estate - both the left and right sides of the site are totally empty, with useful features instead hidden away that require you to go to a new page. The 'What's Popular' section is relegated to a tiny horizontal section, and is limited to 5 programmes. The schedule isn't on the front page anymore either, which is a bit annoying. I don't particularly agree with the 'less is more' route they've gone with it. The previous layout was way easier to navigate because everything you needed was immediately there.
Indeed. I wouldnt have given a toss If there was just a 'display in list form or orignal' type button. I really dont need to see big gently caress off pictures for everything when looking around. And the radio player becoming a pop-out is loving annoying as well. There are some evil 'web-design' contractor cunts behind all this.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Oh. The way someone complains about it every other page of this thread had me thinking there was some fundamental functionality that had been removed or something. This is all really nitpicky and doesn't matter at all.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Dicky B posted:

Oh. The way someone complains about it every other page of this thread had me thinking there was some fundamental functionality that had been removed or something. This is all really nitpicky and doesn't matter at all.
Bollocks. You used be able to go to the page, click categorys and have a list. Then click on your category and have a list. Now im faffing around with a bunch of pages. Its showy nonsense that just plain doesnt work as well. Its not nitpicky, its just isnt as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004