Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That looks pretty neat, and if I were allowed to display masonic emblems yet I would get one :)

Part of the waiting game I suppose.

I really liked catechism Tuesday, gonna try to come to lodge tomorrow to help in the kitchen before mentoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I was initiated last night into OES! I'm pretty happy. I feel like I've already made a couple of new friends. Houston mason goons, where are you?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
First Installation tonight!

Also, I missed lodge last month and yesterday the WM rang to make sure the tensions at the lodge before that wasn't making me uncomfortable, which was very sweet.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Loomer posted:

Also, I missed lodge last month and yesterday the WM rang to make sure the tensions at the lodge before that wasn't making me uncomfortable, which was very sweet.

I love hearing of that because I feel that, sometimes, when there are little political spats the members who aren't involved in them are sometimes left out. That's really reassuring and sweet. Glad to hear it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Loomer posted:

So if it ever came down to Lodge or The Project Of The Damned, which would you pick, Loomer?

WHICH WOULD YOU PICK??!?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So if it ever came down to Lodge or The Project Of The Damned, which would you pick, Loomer?

WHICH WOULD YOU PICK??!?

Recruiting the brethren to handle some of the Lines would allow me to pick both! I'll just have to create a faux appending body to do it.The Order of the Ivory Canid, or some such.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Loomer posted:

Recruiting the brethren to handle some of the Lines would allow me to pick both! I'll just have to create a faux appending body to do it.The Order of the Ivory Canid, or some such.

Shriners But With Dice Too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Are we still talking about that wargaming appendant body?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

7thBatallion posted:

We really do need one. I mean there are reenactor ones (would you like to see my beaver?) so why not?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

7thBatallion posted:

Like LARPing or War Hammer? If it's either, I'll admit to having no experience in them whatsoever, but I'm always up for making up ritual.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SylvainMustach posted:

Like LARPing or War Hammer? If it's either, I'll admit to having no experience in them whatsoever, but I'm always up for making up ritual.

Covering Infinity, Warhammer, Warmachine, X-Wing Miniatures, and going so far to cover card games and RPGs.

We need a body strictly for Werewolf, and another for Machine of Death.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Well I talked with my grandpa today (who is coming up on his 52nd year as a freemason in June) and asked him about joining. He was super excited about it since my dad and uncle never wanted too nor any of his other grandsons. He's gonna help me with petitioning the nearby lodge he goes to.

I'm excited about finally going through with something I've wanted to do for years and seeing my grandpa get excited about it was awesome.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I would be thrilled as well when my grandson would come up to me and said he'd want to join the fraternity. Good luck on your journey to initiation!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Very cool thread! I got into 'masonry when my ex-girlfriend told me she had been one (here in Denmark, as in a lot of places, there are lodges for women), and I kind of want to join, but I'm not ready for the commitment.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Tias posted:

Very cool thread! I got into 'masonry when my ex-girlfriend told me she had been one (here in Denmark, as in a lot of places, there are lodges for women), and I kind of want to join, but I'm not ready for the commitment.

If I may ask, what part of the commitment is keeping you away? Generally members can set the level and pace of their commitment.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm aware I suppose, I'm just rather ill and have a hard time keeping job, leisure and friends/family on the level. I'd rather not commit to it, and then opt out because I couldn't handle it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tias posted:

I'm aware I suppose, I'm just rather ill and have a hard time keeping job, leisure and friends/family on the level. I'd rather not commit to it, and then opt out because I couldn't handle it.

Freemasonry frankly should never interfere with your duty to your God, country, employer, family, or self. If anything it is a source of strength from which to better handle the other duties a man has in this life.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
This thread is over two years old, and has fewer posts than the one about that California virgin who killed a bunch of people that was started a few days ago.

Makes you not think.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tias posted:

This is a fair reason not to join, but I'd suggest going and meeting your locals anyway. I'm also pretty ill a lot of the time and it's been no problem to handle my lodge commitments (of course, we meet only once a month and I'm not an officer yet - though the plan is to knock me in as steward at the first chance because all our old fellas are getting on and they're worried they'll die before we get enough new members, and they want our two younger members to learn as much as possible while we can), especially since many brethren have similar constraints and are very understanding if you can't make it every month.

What I have found is that, even in my limited time as a freemason, it's helped me to prioritize family, work, and friends above things I previously would have held quite highly. So I strongly recommend going and meeting your locals a few times, seeing what they say and what your local level of activity is, and then using that to make your decision. There's also no shame in choosing to de-affiliate due to other concerns taking precedence; we all recognize that many other things occur in life, and that while freemasonry as an institution is an excellent place to practice the trade of making good men into even better men, that undertaking can also happen in the home - and is more likely to with the tools taught by the order than without. It would be preferable in fact that all men who would be good masons become them, and those that are unable to continue the commitment then drop out, than they not become masons at all. Better they have those tools to use on their own than not have them at all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Allright, thanks. I'll look into it!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Have any of you heard of Cicada 3301? I found this article online while attempting to get started on decoding their most recent puzzle and saw what appears to be Freemason imagery on the cover of this book thing.

http://uncovering-cicada.wikia.com/wiki/CICADA_3301_Liber_Primus_Sacred_BOOK

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Have any of you heard of Cicada 3301? I found this article online while attempting to get started on decoding their most recent puzzle and saw what appears to be Freemason imagery on the cover of this book thing.

http://uncovering-cicada.wikia.com/wiki/CICADA_3301_Liber_Primus_Sacred_BOOK

The compass has been used a symbol by other people/groups for a lot longer than the Freemasons have been using it.

The bottom part of that image is from William Blake's "Ancient of Days" painting, and the top is from his "Isaac Newton" painting. The sides, I believe, are both from his "Nebuchadnezzar" painting.

I love William Blake, if you couldn't tell :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That seems to be as much a freemason symbol as there are freemason symbols on the dollarbill.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Fair enough. I like trying to make connections that aren't really there :smith:.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Cicada seems to be more about transcending boundaries and becoming your own God rather than serving the master builder. I've dabbled in the wiki.

Hint: I'm the guy who brings up as Jung and the purusha sukta. If we want to get esoteric, cicada publishes abrasax themes, and what many of us layman want to find in freemasonry is of the Metatron variety

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Cicada seems to be more about transcending boundaries and becoming your own God rather than serving the master builder. I've dabbled in the wiki.

Hint: I'm the guy who brings up as Jung and the purusha sukta. If we want to get esoteric, cicada publishes abrasax themes, and what many of us layman want to find in freemasonry is of the Metatron variety

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, to be completely frank. I'd like to help out with the whole cicada thing, but the only real use I'd be is for historical references - code and steganography definitely aren't my fortes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Non-mason here as mentioned, but Metatron is an archangel, right? In rabbinic tradition, he is the scribe of god (as shittily portrayed in Supernatural).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Tias posted:

Non-mason here as mentioned, but Metatron is an archangel, right? In rabbinic tradition, he is the scribe of god (as shittily portrayed in Supernatural).

Metatron is the heavenly transfiguration of Enoch. His duty is to transcribe the word of God, and out of all the angels only he can sit. Rather than unity of opposites and cruel thusness of the Prince of frogs (abrasax) Megatron is the end result of apotheosis (his name shares the numerology of Yahweh) and the fires of purgation that leave the heavenly man as brilliant as refined gold.

The divide between Metatron and Abrasax is the divide between fancying your new essence a God, and accepting the dark and light of its business vs relinquishing yourself fully death and life in Christ. It's also the difference between seeing beyond the confining mores of the contemporary age and building a alter to the entirety of what is within the heart vs burning away supposed faults and the ego that goes with them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Keep in mind, Sithsaber is not a Mason, just seemingly very heavy into philosophy/theosophy.

He makes us sound a lot more esoteric than we are. Don't get me wrong, Freemasonry is incredibly deep with regards to symbolism and history, and you can spend your life going down the rabbit hole of theosophy that our system of degrees can put you down. But, that being said, I would say that 90% of the Masons you meet have no idea what Abraxas/Abrasax or Metatron is.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

QPZIL posted:

Keep in mind, Sithsaber is not a Mason, just seemingly very heavy into philosophy/theosophy.

He makes us sound a lot more esoteric than we are. Don't get me wrong, Freemasonry is incredibly deep with regards to symbolism and history, and you can spend your life going down the rabbit hole of theosophy that our system of degrees can put you down. But, that being said, I would say that 90% of the Masons you meet have no idea what Abraxas/Abrasax or Metatron is.

9 times out of ten freemasonry is basically a mystic moose lodge. That is acceptable.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

QPZIL posted:

He also has an incredibly poor grasp on what Masonry is.

Sithsaber posted:

9 times out of ten freemasonry is basically a mystic moose lodge. That is acceptable.

I'm really curious as to how you can arrive at this conclusion when every Mason is really confused as to where you're getting these ideas. I worry a bit that they're misleading people into thinking Masonry is some deep metaphysical crazy person fantasy and not, you know, a fraternal organization.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've signed up to do a MM lecture in two weeks. That would put me at 2/3 lectures in my first six months. We go dark in the summer, so I'll have three months to learn the EA.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

He also has an incredibly poor grasp on what Masonry is.

I'm really curious as to how you can arrive at this conclusion when every Mason is really confused as to where you're getting these ideas. I worry a bit that they're misleading people into thinking Masonry is some deep metaphysical crazy person fantasy and not, you know, a fraternal organization.

That's why I called it a mystic moose lodge. The only thing that separates a moose lodge from a mystic moose lodge is mythologized pedigree and completely voluntary "sacred" rights and passages. If that doesn't suit you, freemasonry is awash with community service, fellowship and good beer.

Which is understandable. Playing mage can only do so much. No one has to offer blood to the all father before receiving a apron. To each his own.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What I'm saying is that I've been a Mason for 7 years and you're a dude on the internet who claims to know a lot about Masonry despite not being one and all of us here who are Masons have no idea what you're talking about half the time and some of us have kindly asked that you stop presenting yourself as an expert or even knowledgable.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If you join Masonry to "play mage" then you're pretty hosed up and have some weird ideas, and I'd want to talk to the investigation committee that approved you and see what the gently caress they were thinking.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I would say that 90% of the Masons you meet have no idea what Abraxas/Abrasax or Metatron is.

Abraxas is a 90's DJ in the Netherlands. I feel the adolescent hormones and alcohol, I just can smell the seedy raves...
Metatron must be Megatron's trans brother (you get it, Meta for Metamorphosis).

But seriously, Sithsaber is the more elaborate troll we have seen here in the thread and he sounds like a friend I used to have who was deep into Magik and esoterism. That guy would have a priapic heart attack, cumming all over the place, if he knew I joined the Masons.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What I'm saying is that I've been a Mason for 7 years and you're a dude on the internet who claims to know a lot about Masonry despite not being one and all of us here who are Masons have no idea what you're talking about half the time and some of us have kindly asked that you stop presenting yourself as an expert or even knowledgable.

Where have I claimed to be an expert? A guy asked about cicada, and as someone who followed that scavenger hunt I replied with my interpretation of their clues and message.

As has been said before, freemasonry is old and has both been inspired by and inspires a lot of pop culture and differing beliefs. Knowing who the master builder is doesn't need to correspond to knowing the handshake. I am good at discussing the magnum opus and comparative mythology though. Besides, masonry doesn't require one faith. People get a lot of leeway when wiccans, those looking for business connections (what's the word I'm looking for) baptists, the old boys club and philosophers congregate under one roof. Can one definitively say what is the thoughts and ethos of a true brother? (You guys vet people so I assume the answer's yes)

I'm just here to talk creed and ask questions, and to occasionally give answers where possible (I've googled the goat)

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
To put it another way Sithsaber, you're sort of like Manley P. Hall circa 1923 - and while he had a few... interesting things to say about Freemasonry at that point, most Freemasons, to the extent that they take his work seriously at all, look on his opinions on the craft from 1954 onward somewhat more favorably. If like Brother Hall, you choose to take the steps of making sincere petition to a lodge, joining our number and performing the work, all involved would most likely benefit from the experience and we'd likely be more open to your opinions.

That said I do appreciate your contributions to the thread insofar as they've spurred some discussion about what contemporary mainstream Freemasonry in North America is not. You've mostly been clear on the fact that you are not a Freemason and so are unqualified to answer questions regarding the experiential component of the fraternity. Personally I would bookmark an A/T thread by you entitled "Ask me about belonging to groups that I don't belong to." in a heartbeat, as I think it would be quite entertaining and possibly informative. If you do so, I have some burning questions about the Chamber of Commerce, the Temple of Set and Sea Org that I've always wanted an outsiders perspective on.

Sithsaber posted:

That's why I called it a mystic moose lodge.

On second thought, perhaps you could kindly;

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I remember telling you guys I am my lodges Tyler and that here it is custom to stand alert at all times.
Why do I tell you this?

Wisdom:
Skip leg day when you have Tyler duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
More like just blast some more squats to get ready for lodge meetings!