Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So, let me get this straight, people can run cheat engine or trainers right now while playing online with absolutely no repercussion because there is no anti cheat and vac is also disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't need to get it straight, you already have it straight. That is the case, yes.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

killstealing posted:

How would 150SL allow you to cast all those buffs and walk around in full Havel's with gear though without crumpling under your own weight

I gave it a shot. http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/3926

Edit: Updated so it works.

Edit: No powerstancing but close I guess?

Stokes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

So, let me get this straight, people can run cheat engine or trainers right now while playing online with absolutely no repercussion because there is no anti cheat and vac is also disabled?

They could always do that. Previously, VAC was implemented such that anyone with a prior VAC ban was banned from connecting to the servers (Which isn't supposed to happen; VAC bans are based on game engine). There were no anti-cheat tools attached so anyone actually hacking could not have been punished. So they removed what VAC was there and (presumably) have been looking into implementing it more properly.

CJacobs posted:

From should have stuck to their guns about making more items have stat requirements and continued to use soul level as the basis for matchmaking. Why they didn't is beyond me.

Or actually have the mechanics setup to require levels for poo poo. So you need stat scaling even for elemental weapons, as opposed to how it is now where scaling is bad for 90% of everything. Course this isn't an issue they can fix at this point since it would require completely overhauling how poo poo works.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I must be getting the worst RNG, because everyone keeps saying Ruin Sentinels are an easy, non-aggresive boss :(
I've literally been at them for hours now (with a caestus only run, mind you), and they're so aggressive I can't get a hit in. The first one is a cakewalk, but as soon as I'm fighting two they take turns running off and doing their spin move. I'm unable to keep them grouped up for more than a couple of seconds at most, it's weird.

I'm having a lot of trouble dodging them too; on Pursuer I wasn't hit once but here I keep getting hit mid-roll it seems. I'm at 20 ADP so I really don't get it. Does it have to do with poise? (I'm only wearing pants, obviously :smug:)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

This is part of why sl matchmaking is good. You don't need to go beyond 150 to have a complete build, and since soul vessels are a thing you can respec at any time if you want to change your setup.

Good for you, for the "pvp community". Bad for anyone who wants to continue playing the game above a certain level and still get to have a multiplayer experience. The only way they were gonna get players above a certain level is if they forced people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

argondamn posted:

He's not saying that. He's just saying less people would level past level 150 to be able to do all that.

This is part of why SL matchmaking is bad.
The hell? That's why its good.

Genocyber posted:

Or actually have the mechanics setup to require levels for poo poo. So you need stat scaling even for elemental weapons, as opposed to how it is now where scaling is bad for 90% of everything. Course this isn't an issue they can fix at this point since it would require completely overhauling how poo poo works.
This is the answer, and the frustrating thing is that they SAW THIS. That's why Lightning Damage scales with Fth, and Fire damage scales with Fire and...yeah. You get the idea. That's why armor scales with stats too! Because the answer to everything is scaling. Low-level twinks only were as loving ridiculous as they were because of the power of pyromancy and the power of upgraded equipment. Reduce how much of an advantage you get from upgrading gear, increase how important stats are, and suddenly the practical advantage that twinks have is greatly reduced. You'll never get rid of the advantage of experience and skill, but you can significantly limit the advantages from equipment if you do that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
SM also has a really big problem in regards to invasions. Someone who plays poorly and loses their souls a lot will be far weaker than someone that plays extremely well. Then you have people that waste their souls on stuff they don't need since they don't know any better, which puts them at an even bigger disadvantage. All this leads to the strength of characters varying wildly when you get higher in the SM tiers. I don't like fighting people that have no hope of beating me, but I have absolutely no control over who I get matched with.

Sometimes I inavde someone and they have good gear and are able to put up a decent fight. Other times I invade someone and two shot them because they are so weak. Both these players are placed in the same SM pool, even though one is clearly much stronger than the other. Its not really fair to permanently punish someone for dieing a lot.

VVV Basically.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 3, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Soul level was a flawed system. Soul memory is a more flawed system. :shrug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

Good for you, for the "pvp community". Bad for anyone who wants to continue playing the game above a certain level and still get to have a multiplayer experience. The only way they were gonna get players above a certain level is if they forced people.

Simple solution: stop leveling. You don't need to level beyond 150 for a complete build (some even think this is too high and prefer 135 or even 120).

Ravenfood posted:

This is the answer, and the frustrating thing is that they SAW THIS. That's why Lightning Damage scales with Fth, and Fire damage scales with Fire and...yeah. You get the idea. That's why armor scales with stats too! Because the answer to everything is scaling. Low-level twinks only were as loving ridiculous as they were because of the power of pyromancy and the power of upgraded equipment. Reduce how much of an advantage you get from upgrading gear, increase how important stats are, and suddenly the practical advantage that twinks have is greatly reduced. You'll never get rid of the advantage of experience and skill, but you can significantly limit the advantages from equipment if you do that.

Yup. It's especially hilarious since they understood it just enough to understand it, but still little enough to make the problem worse. You can still have a low SM full Havel's (not fully upgraded) invader if you know what you're doing. It's not even tough, just requires planning. And that's because even without scaling Havel's still provides really high defense. But then add in scaling and you make it give absurd defense at higher levels as well.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I guess gently caress anyone who wants to play past a certain level and still get a multiplayer experience.

EDIT: This discussion will literally go in circles so I'll drop it. From wanted people to be able to experience invasions and co-op regardless of what the stupid pvp community does.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

I guess gently caress anyone who wants to play past a certain level and still get a multiplayer experience.

Yes.

Why are you acting like you need to keep leveling? You don't. From even included a mechanic (soul vessels) to let you change your build without further leveling. I can only hope the team working on Beast Souls will finally complete this by including an actual level cap.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I must be getting the worst RNG, because everyone keeps saying Ruin Sentinels are an easy, non-aggresive boss :(
I've literally been at them for hours now (with a caestus only run, mind you), and they're so aggressive I can't get a hit in. The first one is a cakewalk, but as soon as I'm fighting two they take turns running off and doing their spin move. I'm unable to keep them grouped up for more than a couple of seconds at most, it's weird.

I'm having a lot of trouble dodging them too; on Pursuer I wasn't hit once but here I keep getting hit mid-roll it seems. I'm at 20 ADP so I really don't get it. Does it have to do with poise? (I'm only wearing pants, obviously :smug:)

I'm not sure you can roll through the spin. Roll away, not towards. There's always that NPC phantom if you're ok with that sort of thing.

CJacobs posted:

Soul level was a flawed system. Soul memory is a more flawed system. :shrug:

At least they're flawed for different reasons I guess. Though it might be impossible to make the PvP without these kind of issues without divorcing it from the singleplayer entirely without some fundamental changes to the way the game works at a base level. Dark Souls: Medieval Warfare is the only option.

Soul memory is certainly better for coop and that's all I really care about to be honest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know the patch is brand spanking new and everyone's still figuring poo poo out, but was that guy who was saying the monastery scimitar was as bad as the medium shields for parrying now more or less on the money? Wondering if I have to strap on a target shield once again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Soul memory is certainly better for coop and that's all I really care about to be honest.

No it's not. In Dark Souls you could just make a character and leave em at a level to where they could get a lot of co-op at X place. Here you're going to be pushed out of that ability simply by doing co-op.

Cowcaster posted:

I know the patch is brand spanking new and everyone's still figuring poo poo out, but was that guy who was saying the monastery scimitar was as bad as the medium shields for parrying now more or less on the money? Wondering if I have to strap on a target shield once again.

I haven't tried it myself yet but I've read that ALL curved swords are like this now, requiring very precise timing (good job with that nerf From)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Why are you acting like you need to keep leveling? You don't. From even included a mechanic (soul vessels) to let you change your build without further leveling. I can only hope the team working on Beast Souls will finally complete this by including an actual level cap.

yeah I really think a level cap that isn't 999 is the best solution to this problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

No it's not. In Dark Souls you could just make a character and leave em at a level to where they could get a lot of co-op at X place. Here you're going to be pushed out of that ability simply by doing co-op.

You also don't get people who sit at SL120 for the rest of forever and never move on. There's always going to be people for coop at every level, which is blatantly untrue in the last two games. Sure, people will outlevel an area. But then they move on to another one and are replaced by other people just hitting that area so you're not just seeing the same three guys forever. Even the PvP people are forced at a certain point to start a new character and refresh the lower level population.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The best idea is that everyone starts at level 150 and they stay at level 150 always.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You also don't get people who sit at SL120 for the rest of forever and never move on. There's always going to be people for coop at every level, which is blatantly untrue in the last two games. Sure, people will outlevel an area. But then they move on to another one and are replaced by other people just hitting that area so you're not just seeing the same three guys forever. Even the PvP people are forced at a certain point to start a new character and refresh the lower level population.

And oh boy does that sound fun. Getting attached to your character? What the gently caress is wrong with you keep moving forward and don't ever stop!!! *From cracks whip*

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

And oh boy does that sound fun. Getting attached to your character? What the gently caress is wrong with you keep moving forward and don't ever stop!!! *From cracks whip*

Funny, I leveled my first character in Dark Souls past what was "acceptable" because I was attached to him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

And in Dark Souls, you could also get co-op all the time in ng+ if you stayed at around 120, and you also saw a lot of signs in all the areas as you progressed so long as you weren't too ridiculously underleveled or overleveled.

Additionally, SM also allows for that problem - not getting co-op for being too high or too low of an SM - while making it not your choice. In Dks it was your choice to be the level you were, in Dks2 your SM is gonna increase just by playing.

argondamn posted:

Funny, I leveled my first character in Dark Souls past what was "acceptable" because I was attached to him.

If you were attached to him why did you level. You keep acting as if you need to keep leveling, when you don't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forcing progress on the player is not fun, was my point.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

If you were attached to him why did you level. You keep acting as if you need to keep leveling, when you don't.

It made him better.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I had thought about capping myself at 150 or 200 just because it felt like a good stopping point but because the other option is those souls not being used, I ended up using them and now I'm around level 220 :negative: I am the monster I never wanted to become

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I just kept my DS1 characters at 120 for the PC, and DS2 characters at 150 for the PC. I enjoyed playing with them and I just kept the souls or spent them on upgrades to fiddle around with different equipment and spells.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

It made him better.

Doesn't change the fact that you didn't have to do it. And in Dks2, you even less need to do it because you can respec if you want to use other things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

And in Dark Souls, you could also get co-op all the time in ng+ if you stayed at around 120, and you also saw a lot of signs in all the areas as you progressed so long as you weren't too ridiculously underleveled or overleveled.

Additionally, SM also allows for that problem - not getting co-op for being too high or too low of an SM - while making it not your choice. In Dks it was your choice to be the level you were, in Dks2 your SM is gonna increase just by playing.

I don't agree but I suppose you're not necessarily wrong.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Doesn't change the fact that you didn't have to do it. And in Dks2, you even less need to do it because you can respec if you want to use other things.

You are like a child. I didn't have to do it, but I did, and it was for a perfectly legitimate reason that had to do with my fun. It would have possibly been more fun if I could have had any multiplayer experience after a certain point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So does anyone have even a vague idea of how much things got nerfed? I heard GRS being 25% weaker thrown around (all I can tell is that it's 50% stronger than Dark Orb now), and Flame Weapon is giving me less than 50 additional damage. The only thing I really know for sure are the changes to santier's spear and avelyn, and that the pursuer UGS is much faster to swing around now.

Also SM sucks and is bad hth.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

So does anyone have even a vague idea of how much things got nerfed? I heard GRS being 25% weaker thrown around (all I can tell is that it's 50% stronger than Dark Orb now), and Flame Weapon is giving me less than 50 additional damage. The only thing I really know for sure are the changes to santier's spear and avelyn, and that the pursuer UGS is much faster to swing around now.

from what I've gathered Santier's Spear and Avelyn both had their base damage decreased and their mundane scaling reduced. I've also heard that the Avelyn takes a bit longer to fire now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RBA Starblade posted:

What did they do to my santier's spear, now?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Stop posting in the thread. If you stick to one place, you get pushed to people who may not necessarily be as efficient with their soul memory. Then you get the people who acetic'd the area for whatever reason. Then you move on. In NG+, these restrictions are removed for the most part and one could even say that with the added mobs and red phantoms, that's where the "real" :darksouls: starts. The community arbitrarily limiting itself to 150 or 200 is just that: arbitrary. And mostly pointless, since it's far too tempting to just level past it regardless.

I'm still waiting on legitimate 99 in all stat characters, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Krinkle posted:

What did they do to my santier's spear, now?

quote:

from what I've gathered Santier's Spear and Avelyn both had their base damage decreased and their mundane scaling reduced. I've also heard that the Avelyn takes a bit longer to fire now.

I believe the thread earlier said Santier's Spear's base damage when made mundane is now 30.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Avelyn and Santiers spear base damage is 30 now. Mundane scaling on them is completely unaffected so mundane avelyn/santiers are still pretty good, just no longer the OHK monsters they used to be. They are however completely useless without mundane now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Could you go into crazy detail with the circumstances of your Dark Orb versus GRS? What staff for orb? What chime for GRS? With or without the abyss ring?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Domattee posted:

Avelyn and Santiers spear base damage is 30 now. Mundane scaling on them is completely unaffected so mundane avelyn/santiers are still pretty good, just no longer the OHK monsters they used to be. They are however completely useless without mundane now.

ah, okay. that's interesting, but everyone who used them had them mundane anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

Could you go into crazy detail with the circumstances of your Dark Orb versus GRS? What staff for orb? What chime for GRS? With or without the abyss ring?

Yeah sure. Dark Black Witch's Staff +10 for both of them, 50 int/ 40 faith, no boosting rings. None of my armor has any bearing on my stats. Against the royal swordsmen in the Saltfort, the Alonne knights in the Iron Keep, and the dark phantoms (Dark Havel is remarkably weak to sorceries and hexes btw) in the abyss, the GRS consistently did 50% more damage than dark orb. Great Lightning Spear did more than GRS but I assume that's more because of resistances than anything particular. I did notice though that I could get off a few more GRS shots without depleting my stamina than GLS. Five or six Great Resonant Souls to three Great Lightning Spears. I didn't try Resonant Soul to see what that did. With Flame Weapon, I tried it on my melee char with the Fire Black Knight Greatsword +2 (gently caress I need twinkling titanite), with roughly 120 flame damage, scaling included, before buffing it. Pyromancy hand +1 but that's because it didn't matter for FW before today, and only then for the duration of it now. Again, it was against the swordsmen in the Saltfort. 310 damage to about 350 damage before and after the flame weapon buff, if I recall it right, significantly less than before.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I just got hatemail for ganking as a Bell Keeper what is this?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

argondamn posted:

I just got hatemail for ganking as a Bell Keeper what is this?

Attacking other players? That's a technical foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wanted to try a close ranged/melee-focused build, so I decided to make a character from a show I've been watching.

It's Kars from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Or at least a somewhat reasonable facsimile. I haven't looked into it, but I'm pretty sure there are armor pieces to replicate his clothes. I guess it's a pretty obscure reference, but I think I'll try it out.