Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

an skeleton posted:

Oh yeah and another thing, its funny that this episode gets so many "The good guys never win, I'm done watching this :smith:" whenever Joffrey, arguably the most villainous character and inarguably the biggest prick, just died a couple of episodes ago.

"Hubris never wins"

Honestly, almost every significant character death, save for maybe Remly and Ned can be traced to some form or extension of hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

precision posted:

I think at some point Theon is going to just snap and murder everyone around him, regardless of who they are. In fact I was expecting that to happen when he started twitching inside Moat Whogivesafuckistan.

I'm really hoping for this because I want to see the actor just let loose and play a broken berserk killing everybody.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jerusalem posted:

Walder offers to marry Ramsay to one of his daughters, kills him and stitches Reek's head to his neck.

I think Roose knows better than attending another Frey wedding.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Oh yeah and another thing, its funny that this episode gets so many "The good guys never win, I'm done watching this :smith:" whenever Joffrey, arguably the most villainous character and inarguably the biggest prick, just died a couple of episodes ago.

Bad guy dies: Meh. About time it happened.
Good guy dies: FUCCK GRRM! I'M NEVER WATCHING AGAIN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think Roose knows better than attending another Frey wedding.

Nah he'll be lulled into a false sense of security because he can't see that treacherous bastard Roose Bolton around anywhere.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jerusalem posted:

Nah he'll be lulled into a false sense of security because he can't see that treacherous bastard Roose Bolton around anywhere.

At the last moment he looks in a mirror and panics, just as the gates slam shut.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
I'm thinking Reek/Theon will be a redemption character. He's been kicked so low, his death seems like a relief, even to himself. To just kill him off now in the state he's in would make an anti-climatic end to his journey. I think he's going to make a come back in some fashion. It probably won't be as glorious as he imagined his capture of Winterfell would be, but it would be enough for him to forgive himself....

It's a nice thought, anyway.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

"Hubris never wins"

Honestly, almost every significant character death, save for maybe Remly and Ned can be traced to some form or extension of hubris.

Not at all...Oberyn maybe, but even there it wasn't arrogance that actually got him killed. People die when their emotions get the better of them, but it's usually not pride.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

BubbleGoose posted:

Imagine Theon, legitimate from birth, getting that acceptance from his father. :smith:

That's an interesting parallel that I missed. There are just so many thematic connections in this show.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

an skeleton posted:

The problem with "good characters" winning is that usually means less conflict which is less interesting. Also, a major theme of the show (in my opinion) is that being ruthless is often necessary to achieve things. Having honor (or in Oberyn's case, vengefulness) and giving bad people chances to hurt/kill you will often result in you being hurt or killed or what-have-you.

There isn't a dichotomy of having good characters win or having plot, though. The problem is that nearly everyone is lovely; it's actually really interesting when multiple sides do have characters worth rooting for, and those sides are poised against each other. Earlier seasons had that. This one... As people have said, it feels pretty much like a wave of poo poo washing over everyone who wasn't involved in creating said wave of poo poo.

Personally, I'm going to keep watching, but I can see people's frustration. A lot of the nuance is gone, and, since as people have said this is the middle of a series so the good guys can't really triumph, it's basically a death march from here on out. You just have to hope that the ones you really like aren't the ones who drop dead before we get there.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

BubbleGoose posted:

I'm thinking Reek/Theon will be a redemption character. He's been kicked so low, his death seems like a relief, even to himself. To just kill him off now in the state he's in would make an anti-climatic end to his journey. I think he's going to make a come back in some fashion. It probably won't be as glorious as he imagined his capture of Winterfell would be, but it would be enough for him to forgive himself....

He certainly will. He's Reek, now, but what's dead (Theon) may never die.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

wyoak posted:

Not at all...Oberyn maybe, but even there it wasn't arrogance that actually got him killed. People die when their emotions get the better of them, but it's usually not pride.

Oberyn's ultimate goal was vengeance. He could have finished the Mountain off, but instead he continued to harp on some showmanship bullshit of wringing a confession out of a person who can hardly string a sentence together. I'd call that arrogant. If you want to say that his ultimate goal was the confession then I would disagree, but still, arrogance definitely got him killed.

Notice how the Mountain gave no fucks and tried to cut him in half while he dicked around for the crowd. That's why he won.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Oberyn's ultimate goal was vengeance. He could have finished the Mountain off, but instead he continued to harp on some showmanship bullshit of wringing a confession out of a person who can hardly string a sentence together. I'd call that arrogant. If you want to say that his ultimate goal was the confession then I would disagree, but still, arrogance definitely got him killed.

Notice how the Mountain gave no fucks and tried to cut him in half while he dicked around for the crowd. That's why he won.

He wanted the confession to point to Tywin so he could proceed to dismantle them. Killing the proximate perpetrator is easy and not his ultimate goal.

Mountain lost the fight then pulled a "Scream" resurrection for troll value

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'm actually going to call BS on the 'there are no characters left to root for' notion. We've got:

Tyrion, who is Tyrion.
Jaime, who weird sorta-rape-I-think? scene aside, seems to be undergoing a sort of redemptive arc after his hand got chopped off.
Brienne and Pod, who are obviously good people trying to rescue Stark children.
Arya, who so far hasn't killed someone who didn't deserve it.
Jon and Sam, who are the closest things the show has to stereotypical good guy fantasy protagonists.
Dany, who while is obviously very flawed at this point in time is literally trying to free slaves and keep them free.

And then you get into characters who are kinda lovely people but you can still easily root for at times, like The Hound and Theon.

Seriously, where do people get that idea just because one charismatic guy who was there for 7 episodes dies?

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Oberyn had bigger fish to fry he was trying to get the Mountain to implicate Tywin in the murders, a dead mountain with no confession while would have been some justice....not the total justice the Oberyn craves.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

That's more anger than pride, on the seven deadly sins scale.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Roose is great because he's smart and ruthless like Tywin but he has people skills and doesn't constantly poo poo on everyone around him. This show is pretty much full of people seeking approval and getting rejected (especially between sons and fathers) so giving Ramsay his name should earn Roose a Father of the Year award.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
At the very least Alfie Allen needs some serious recognition for how much he's killing it.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Looking forward to finding out Doran is actually Oberyn's twin and we get Pedro back after all.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Speleothing posted:

At the very least Alfie Allen needs some serious recognition for how much he's killing it.

Yeah seriously, he's amazing. He better at least be nominated for some award or something because he's doing an incredible job as Theon.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

KamikazePotato posted:

I'm actually going to call BS on the 'there are no characters left to root for' notion. We've got:

Tyrion, who is Tyrion.
Jaime, who weird sorta-rape-I-think? scene aside, seems to be undergoing a sort of redemptive arc after his hand got chopped off.
Jon and Sam, who are the closest things the show has to stereotypical good guy fantasy protagonists.
Dany, who while is obviously very flawed at this point in time is literally trying to free slaves and keep them free.

And then you get into characters who are kinda lovely people but you can still easily root for at times, like The Hound and Theon.

Seriously, where do people get that idea just because one charismatic guy who was there for 7 episodes dies?
You forgot Stannis... who may be involved with a crazy cult, but you can't argue with results and the god of light gets results.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Roland Jones posted:

There isn't a dichotomy of having good characters win or having plot, though. The problem is that nearly everyone is lovely;

This isn't the problem. This is the reason that the show is so successful.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Theon is the guy Reek was pretending to be in order to get the Ironborn to surrender, right?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Speleothing posted:

Theon is the guy Reek was pretending to be in order to get the Ironborn to surrender, right?
Yeah, Theon was a character that was around in the early seasons. He's dead now, but Reek was pretending to be him.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

an skeleton posted:

This isn't the problem. This is the reason that the show is so successful.

Yep. Pretty much this.

Also, Pedro Pascal is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpewbz7GwCU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

theDOWmustflow posted:

Be honest, how many of you guys caught yourselves being moved by the father-son exchange between Ramsay and Roose. I felt like I betrayed the Starks for that brief moment I forgot to blindly hate the Boltons.

Compare these scenes, shot composition and score especially:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pl8IgTJVj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZPm20DdLM

Can't find a clip at the moment, but there were a few more season 1 Winterfell shots that are very close.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just saying, if this "drowned god" doesn't literally rise up out of the sea and wreck some poo poo in the last season, it will be the biggest wasted opportunity ever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BubbleGoose posted:

I will have to say that it's kind of funny how the whole Yara plotline panned out. Like, people make fun of how Gendry disappeared, but it would make perfect sense if he really never showed up again. He was a supporting character for Arya's story, and then in the Davos-Stannis story he served as a conflict and forced Davos to make a choice, and that closed off relatively smoothly.

But with Yara they built up the whole rescue operation at the end of last season like it was going to be a big thing, but then it ended up just coming randomly in the middle of the season in a rather anticlimactic way, and then she just gives up and goes home? And there's no real reason to come back to her, unless there's some repercussions for Moat Cailin... but the show already has 9 other plotlines to deal with.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

KamikazePotato posted:

Tyrion, who is Tyrion.

Way to forget Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor. More importantly, you forgot the MANNIS.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Wow, that episode ended pretty jacked up. After watching that play out, I couldn't help thinking about Adm. Marcus from the second Star Trek. Reaction shots were nearly identical.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I hope there's one of those YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE, THEON scenes, i like those

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

precision posted:

I'm just saying, if this "drowned god" doesn't literally rise up out of the sea and wreck some poo poo in the last season, it will be the biggest wasted opportunity ever.

Okay, so it's my totally unsupported pet theory that the reason the White Walkers can't just freeze the bay and walk around the wall is because salt water is the realm of the Drowned God, ergo their magic has no power over it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I hope there's one of those YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE, THEON scenes, i like those

Robb shows up in the sky and sounds like James Earl Jones for some reason

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

precision posted:

I'm secretly hoping the 'drowned god' is actually a dragon that adapted to water thousands of years ago and has evolved into a long twisty leviathan. A dragon/leviathan battle between air and sea would make my heart stop.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd prefer a kraken.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But with Yara they built up the whole rescue operation at the end of last season like it was going to be a big thing, but then it ended up just coming randomly in the middle of the season in a rather anticlimactic way, and then she just gives up and goes home?

You could easily take that scene and after the smash cut start dubbing in Monty Python "Run away! Run away!" audio and it'd fit perfectly.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

In other shows this would result in Theon getting triumphant revenge.

Here he'd probably poo poo himself and cry for help.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the last 15 pages so apologies if it's been brought up, but are there any Red Wedding style reaction vids out there for Viper/Mountain fight? I would love to see the emotional rollercoaster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't mind some kind of like "I'm not Theon. I'm not Reek. I'm loving NOBODY. And you...

...just got killed by NOBODY."

:smugdog:

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

xcore posted:

I haven't read the last 15 pages so apologies if it's been brought up, but are there any Red Wedding style reaction vids out there for Viper/Mountain fight? I would love to see the emotional rollercoaster.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmetFPHF_yE

Some are fake and unfunny. Others are only kinda lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I wouldn't mind if Hodor killed the Mountain. That would be enough.

• Locked thread