Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

uh "6 to 7 times more" is also p. impressive but whatever, as long as you're happy

It's neither impressive nor unimpressive. If I had to guess, I'd say unimpressive: It suggests Wii U selling really terribly in the UK.

Astro Nut posted:

Last I knew, there weren't any solid sales numbers on how well the Wii U was doing UK wise. Because the UK game charts folks are far too fond of percentages. You might be thinking of weekly Japanese sales, where the console was hanging around 5-6k for a bit.

We aren't getting detailed sales data because they want corporations and individuals to pay for their reports, not because the chart tracking institute is "fond of percentages".

NPD reports are comparatively cheap and of wider interest/circulation, that's why we have leakers reporting back the numbers on GAF (as well as Twitter). NPD themselves aren't publishing anything but relative sales data to the public at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah NPD's actual official releases are dogshit. "It was a good/bad month for hardware/software. Here are the top 10 games with no actual numbers."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

You post like a little bitch and then you report people when they come back at you

This was even funnier before I realized Louis isn't a mod anymore

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

You post like a little bitch and then you report people when they come back at you

I'm not flaming.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Louisgod posted:

I'm not flaming.

But your love of jerky burns hotter than any sun.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I'm not flaming.

Oh, you card :gay:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh, that flaming. Yeah, I'm that.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

The WiiU is still a doomed system. Mario Kart, Zelda and that Smash Brothers game won't do squat in turning round the fortunes of a console with zero third party support. They'll sell well enough to the installed base who bought WiiU's and are desperate for any software, but that's about it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.change.org/en-AU/petiti...ever-made#share

This poo poo's hilarious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

lynch_69 posted:

The WiiU is still a doomed system. Mario Kart, Zelda and that Smash Brothers game won't do squat in turning round the fortunes of a console with zero third party support. They'll sell well enough to the installed base who bought WiiU's and are desperate for any software, but that's about it.

and this is the death of the WiiU. MK8 can't just be a good game, DK: TF can't just be a good game. They all have to "save the WiiU" or something which saddens me, because if the games keep trending this way it's likely going to have the best straight lineup of quality games for any Nintendo console since the SNES.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Wii U is not a doomed system. It may not be their most successful release but so what? Why not just enjoy it for what it is. This isn't a contest.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Wii U is tanking so badly, it made Nintendo leave the gaming sector in search of fitness gimmicks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shouldn't it be like world 2 since that's the desert world in super mario bros 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fame Douglas posted:

The Wii U is tanking so badly, it made Nintendo leave the gaming sector in search of fitness gimmicks.

They were already doing that in the Wii's prime, though. Remember the vitality sensor that never came out?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Louisgod posted:

I haven't bought it yet because I have until July 31st :smugbert:, thinking I can find it for $10 or $15 cheaper somewhere (probably not though).

I was going to do that as well, but the normal launch price here was € 59. A store near me had it for € 49. Knowing Nintendo game prices I just don't see the price going lower than that in the first half year. No use holding off buying it if best case scenario means it becomes € 49 everywhere else.

lynch_69 posted:

The Wiiu is still a doomed system. The install base will increase quite a bit with those games. Problem is, the base will never be big enough to justify the cost needed by publishers to downsize their PS4/Xbone games to fit on it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Waltzing Along posted:

The Wii U is not a doomed system. It may not be their most successful release but so what? Why not just enjoy it for what it is. This isn't a contest.

It is doing so badly that it may be the reason they are finally driven out of the home console market. That is a big deal in terms of video games (i.e. not important at all).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I will probably buy a Wii U after market when the price drops to Dreamcast levels and fondly remember it as a good console with some good games that did not sell at all. It can be a good console with good games and still sell like absolute garbage.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will probably buy a Wii U after market when the price drops to Dreamcast levels and fondly remember it as a good console with some good games that did not sell at all. It can be a good console with good games and still sell like absolute garbage.

Some of my favorite things in life sold like absolute garbage and were completely unappreciated in their own time.

I'm not trying to insinuate that the Wii U is gaming ambrosia, but it has a lot of fun exclusives already and I enjoy the time I spend with it. It's just selling worse than hammered poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Waltzing Along posted:

People don't WANT the Wii U to fail, I think there are a lot of people in this thread that enjoy Nintendo games. But thanks to a series of bad decisions, Nintendo might not make it through this console generation in its current form.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

People don't WANT the Wii U to fail, I think there are a lot of people in this thread that enjoy Nintendo games. But thanks to a series of bad decisions, Nintendo might not make it through this console generation in its current form.

Yeah, this exactly. I couldn't be more delighted if Nintendo succeeded this generation on top, but the reality is that they are not and their decisions aren't helping out that reality.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The games that are actually coming out are good, there's just... not a whole lot of 'em. There was that hilarious two month stretch before MK8 came out where they released precisely jack and poo poo.

I'm still a bit annoyed at having to buy a dumb hunk of Bad Console to play the games, but still worth it IMO. They'll be lucky if they break even in the long run on this whole venture, though and I guess that's too bad.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Astro7x posted:

I want the Wii U to fail and fail hard. Imagine how hilarious it will be to see Nintendo making lovely Free to Play iPhone games and middling platform games on the PS4? Almost as funny as Microsoft shutting down the Xbox division.

Right now Nintendo is the Titanic slowly but inexorably heading towards the iceberg. I can't wait for the ship to start sinking. It will be awesome to behold.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah well I have my two dozen or so systems organized by order of success.

My PS2 has not been unplugged in years.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The games that are actually coming out are good, there's just... not a whole lot of 'em. There was that hilarious two month stretch before MK8 came out where they released precisely jack and poo poo.

I'm still a bit annoyed at having to buy a dumb hunk of Bad Console to play the games, but still worth it IMO. They'll be lucky if they break even in the long run on this whole venture, though and I guess that's too bad.

There's like a dozen good exclusives and only one port worth getting(Rayman Legends). But yeah you only have a small pool to draw from, at this point the system should have 3 times that amount.

It's not even getting interesting and cheap games like the Wii got(i.e. Castle Shikigami 3).

Mind you the Wii-U is going to be out for two years and prior to last generation the average console lifespan was 4-5 years.

They made a big mistake of having the Wii die right when the Wii-U came out instead of prolonging it until the newer system has games like sony is doing with the PS3 and PS4.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's like a dozen good exclusives

SM3DW, NSMBU, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin, ZombiU, Tropical Freeze, W101, that LEGO game? NES Remix? Nintendoland? ... Wind Waker?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Edmund Honda posted:

SM3DW, NSMBU, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin, ZombiU, Tropical Freeze, W101, that LEGO game? NES Remix? Nintendoland? ... Wind Waker?
Someone's forgetting upcoming 2014 GOTY Pushmo World :colbert:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

They made a big mistake of having the Wii die right when the Wii-U came out instead of prolonging it until the newer system has games like sony is doing with the PS3 and PS4.

The Wii didn't die out when the WiiU was released. The Wii had been largely dead for about one and a half to two years when the WiiU was released. If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo's 2011 E3 presentation was almost all 3DS and the unnamed system that became WiiU, and the Wii segment was basically Skyward Sword and nothing else.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thefncrow posted:

The Wii didn't die out when the WiiU was released. The Wii had been largely dead for about one and a half to two years when the WiiU was released. If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo's 2011 E3 presentation was almost all 3DS and the unnamed system that became WiiU, and the Wii segment was basically Skyward Sword and nothing else.

This is so true... looking at the releases for the Wii, the only Nintendo developed game we got in 2011 was Skyward Sword, and in 2012 was Mario Party 9.

What in the hell have they been working on all this time?!?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And I'm still expecting the majority of Nintendo's E3 to be about Nintendo 3DS, since Nintendo's goal is to turn a profit this year, and the best way of doing that is with the platform that is actually making money for them.

With Wii U I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went in the direction of eShop titles like Pushmo World to fill out the space inbetween Kart and Hyrule, Hyrule and Bayonetta, Bayonetta and Smash, Smash and X, X and Zelda, etc. Games like Mario vs DK, maybe a WarioWare DIY sequel (since the Gamepad has the same functionality), perhaps they'll bring Dillon's Rolling Western to the U. $10-15 titles. They can't have another calendar year like the past one where they at one point went nearly two months without a retail title from ANY publisher. They have to have at least one new Nintendo title every month, even if it's small. Even if it's just, like, Animal Crossing Plaza. Just a reason for people to turn their console on at all.

We expect Smash for U to not be out until November, and that Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 will fit somewhere inbetween now and then (september and october?). So if they don't have some eShop titles planned for july and august then they're loving up. At least milk the consumers you got!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 3, 2014

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

This is so true... looking at the releases for the Wii, the only Nintendo developed game we got in 2011 was Skyward Sword, and in 2012 was Mario Party 9.

What in the hell have they been working on all this time?!?

HD art is hella time consuming. Especially when you try it for the first time almost a decade later than everyone else.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

lynch_69 posted:

Imagine how hilarious it will be to see Nintendo making lovely Free to Play iPhone games

Hilarious? More like extremely dull... if you think that's hilarious there's plenty of lovely smartphone games to laugh at today, you don't even have to wait.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Electromax posted:

Hilarious? More like extremely dull... if you think that's hilarious there's plenty of lovely smartphone games to laugh at today, you don't even have to wait.

But you see it'd be funny because Nintendo deserves it because

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

And I'm still expecting the majority of Nintendo's E3 to be about Nintendo 3DS, since Nintendo's goal is to turn a profit this year, and the best way of doing that is with the platform that is actually making money for them.

I'm expecting that too, but on the other hand, the swath of major next-gen titles that have been recently delayed into 2015 gives Nintendo the best chance they will ever have to gain the Wii U some real sales momentum. Just about every currently announced major title I can think of for 2014 except for Assassin's Creed Unity is cross-generation, and Nintendo is really the only company that doesn't do the whole year long hype window other companies do. If, by some miracle, Zelda U will be ready by this Christmas, the Wii U might actually stand a chance at putting up some respectable sales numbers assuming the lack of compelling reasons software-wise to pick up a PS4/Xbone continues through E3.

It'd be just like Nintendo to not capitalize on the best opportunity they will have though, so I'm expecting no new major Wii U titles for 2014 to be announced. :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They still have not showed anyone what the Gamepad can do. It is a terrible mess of a controller and they deserve every bit of laughter that comes their way about that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its the best controller there is. Its only bad in terms of cost. Its an awesome controller and all it's secondary functions are boss as hell.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Honestly, it seems like it would've been better if they cut the price of the console, packaged it with the pro controller, and made the pad optional.

The games that use the pad well are neat, but it doesn't feel like a necessity in the vast majority of cases.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

With Wii U I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went in the direction of eShop titles like Pushmo World to fill out the space inbetween Kart and Hyrule, Hyrule and Bayonetta, Bayonetta and Smash, Smash and X, X and Zelda, etc.

They can't have another calendar year like the past one where they at one point went nearly two months without a retail title from ANY publisher. They have to have at least one new Nintendo title every month, even if it's small.

Except they kinda do that already. Looking at the stuff Nintendo has released.

December 2012-May 2013 - NOTHING
June 2013- Super Luigi U, Game and Wario
July 2013 - Nothing
August 2013 - Pikmin 3, Pokémon Rumble U
September 2013 - Wind Waker HD (Wonderful 101 as well as a big non Nintendo release)
October 2013 - Wii Party U
November 2013 - Wii Sports Bowling/Tennis, Super Mario 3D World
December 2013 - NES Remix, Wii Sports Golf, Sonic at the Olympic Games
January 2014 - Dr. Luigi
February 2014 - DKC Tropical Freeze
March 2014 - Nothing
April 2014 - NES Remix 2
May 2014 - Mario Kart 8
June 2014 - Wii Sports Club Baseball/Boxing, Pushmo World (Japan for now)
August 2014 - Hyrule Warriors (Japan)

Nobody pays much attention to the digital releases which is a problem, but NES Remix was popular enough that it did get a sequel...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they really could if they wanted. They would have to patch a lot of their own games but they have not appeared patch averse to say the least.

You wouldn't have to worry about splitting the controller base for third parties, because there are no third parties. They could still make some of their own games require it and sell it separately, like the kinect I guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
NES remix 2 was in development before 1 even released. The title originated from a programmer of wind waker HD who liked to play NES games on his breaks, but his breaks were so short he only could play very small chunks.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
I kind of want a Wii U because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and I'd like to play the Zelda and Mario games I've missed since.

The issue is that it's still ~£250 and as I've already got a PS4, it seems a bit silly.

If I could get the latest Super Mario, HD WInd Waker and MK8 for £200 I'd probably jump.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

greatn posted:

I think they really could if they wanted. They would have to patch a lot of their own games but they have not appeared patch averse to say the least.

You wouldn't have to worry about splitting the controller base for third parties, because there are no third parties. They could still make some of their own games require it and sell it separately, like the kinect I guess.

They probably could, but it's too late and wouldn't matter at this point. Like what's about to happen to the Xbox...

• Locked thread