Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oodles and oodles? Bajillion? It's suppose to be a secret. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Hi I'm thinking about joining the army and am 90% sure it's right for me but just have a few questions about "fraternising" I was hoping someone can answer for me

Basically if I get sent to a foreign posting how good are my chances if meeting a local girl? Do people generally find you more attraction if you're in the army?

I don't want to get sent to like Iraq or Afghanistan and not get laid for three years or something

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
90% of the stateside px workers are Asians that some sergeant major married while he had an overseas assignment hth

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Most likely you wouldn't be going to Afghanistan at this point. Iraq has essentially been finished for a while now too.

Enjoy Africa

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I never even heard any stories from my military coworkers about banging chicks in Iraq or Afghanistan. Heard on NPR about some dude bringing an Iraq sheiks daughter who then divorced him and became a stripper but otherwise nope.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
General Order 1B

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Eglin is swarming with hot babes who are itching for some juicy penis. Off-base girls loving LOVE hearing that you're military, especially if you're a ranger or SF so you got that going for you (you don't even actually have to be SF!!!!).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's make your penis itchy isn't it?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

LingcodKilla posted:

I never even heard any stories from my military coworkers about banging chicks in Iraq or Afghanistan. Heard on NPR about some dude bringing an Iraq sheiks daughter who then divorced him and became a stripper but otherwise nope.

I had an ex-sailor get drunk and loudly brag (?) to me about how he railed some Afghan hooker and ended up with herpes. His sea cow of a wife was next to him while he relayed this thrilling yarn. I distinctly remember her nodding enthusiastically and saying, "It's true, he did! Then he gave it to me!" with a grin on her face.

It was pretty hosed up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What the gently caress.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I had an ex-sailor get drunk and loudly brag (?) to me about how he railed some Afghan hooker and ended up with herpes. His sea cow of a wife was next to him while he relayed this thrilling yarn. I distinctly remember her nodding enthusiastically and saying, "It's true, he did! Then he gave it to me!" with a grin on her face.

It was pretty hosed up.

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

not caring here posted:

What the gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's only fair. She probably gave him genital warts.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The gift that keeps on giving.

That and HPV.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

Hi I'm thinking about joining the army and am 90% sure it's right for me but just have a few questions about "fraternising" I was hoping someone can answer for me

Basically if I get sent to a foreign posting how good are my chances if meeting a local girl? Do people generally find you more attraction if you're in the army?

I don't want to get sent to like Iraq or Afghanistan and not get laid for three years or something

Join the Navy. Literal oceans of possibility!

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
What if I get sent to Afghanistan or Iran or some other country where the girls aren't so keen on white meat, especially if you're out in the country side

Is there any chance of picking up a village girl?

E: or Africa for that matter

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

What if I get sent to Afghanistan or Iran or some other country where the girls aren't so keen on white meat, especially if you're out in the country side

Yes.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

It's not the girls you worry about picking up in Africa you dumbshit.

It's full blown oh my god Africanized AIDS you worry about picking up.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
I've heard that often the girls have to put on a show of not wanting it because of traditional conservative morality, esp in afghan, but once you make them they actually like it and are very happy as long as you give their dad or husband some money after, which sounds kind of bullshit to me but seems like it might be the only way to get laid if I end up in that part of the world except for DADT

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
And what's the difference between Africanized aids and normal aids??

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

And what's the difference between Africanized aids and normal aids??

Usually about 2-3 inches.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LingcodKilla posted:

Usually about 2-3 inches.

:drat:

vains
May 26, 2004

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

I've heard that often the girls have to put on a show of not wanting it because of traditional conservative morality, esp in afghan, but once you make them they actually like it and are very happy as long as you give their dad or husband some money after, which sounds kind of bullshit to me but seems like it might be the only way to get laid if I end up in that part of the world except for DADT

It's 100% completely true. Once you give those sluts(or any woman really) a taste of the d, they can't get enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

On a more serious note my final waver for my wife making $200 per month under the table in cold hard cash got accepted (at a level above MEPS). I'm taking the oath on Thursday for the navy reserve. Finally.

Hahahahahahahah the recruiters messed it up again and my poo poo got pushed back 10 more days at least.
This is a joke.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2014

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

The military is a joke, what are you doing mang?!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

On a more serious note my final waver for my wife making $200 per month under the table in cold hard cash got accepted (at a level above MEPS). I'm taking the oath on Thursday for the navy reserve. Finally.

Hahahahahahahah the recruiters messed it up again and my poo poo got pushed back 10 more days at least.
This is a joke.

It doesn't change. Never trust anyone with admin or paperwork poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
That's nothing dude. Day 1 at the Army recruiter they input my name into the system wrong, ie like Smith John instead of John Smith. Took a month and some paperwork to get my name changed to my real name.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

That's nothing dude. Day 1 at the Army recruiter they input my name into the system wrong, ie like Smith John instead of John Smith. Took a month and some paperwork to get my name changed to my real name.

Yeah I got a rather short one hour run around during my physical for them imputing my name wrong by one letter and put me down as full time navy (too old for it in any case).

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Way back when during inprocessing at 30th AG, there were two black dudes with the exact same name. One of them supposedly ended up getting the other's Option 40 contract.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Air Force screwed me on BAH to the tune of about $20k. I noticed while outprocessing and got paid 6 months later.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

my poo poo got pushed back

Get used to this.

:getin:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I got a rather short one hour run around during my physical for them imputing my name wrong by one letter and put me down as full time navy (too old for it in any case).

This will be every day while you're in. The military runs on its paperwork. More specifically loving up its paperwork and leaving you to fix it when (if) you find out. If something is important keep copies of your own and never lose them. Years after getting out someone will do an inventory, find something is missing and try to blame you then take your money.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Someone I know commissioned in the Air Force and is working on a master's degree in public health administration before entering active duty. She received an e-mail advertising the option to apply for a program that would allow her to serve in the reserves instead.
Does anybody know more about what this would entail? And if it would guarantee her military work closer to something in line with her degree? I see there's a 1:1 equivalent , but I have no idea if it's a crapshoot to actually end up in.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Someone I know commissioned in the Air Force and is working on a master's degree in public health administration before entering active duty. She received an e-mail advertising the option to apply for a program that would allow her to serve in the reserves instead.
Does anybody know more about what this would entail? And if it would guarantee her military work closer to something in line with her degree? I see there's a 1:1 equivalent , but I have no idea if it's a crapshoot to actually end up in.

Medical Service Corps officers are in both AD and reserve. The procedures for becoming an MSC don't depend on AD/Reserve. They depend on how you enter the AF. If you are coming in cold, you find an AF recruiter who handles medical ascensions. If you are Academy or ROTC, you will need to go to your Military Personnel Flight or equivalent to change your training path. If you are currently an officer, you need to work with the Air Force Personnel Center career field managers to get released from your current AFSC and get accepted into 41A. If you are currently enlisted, all that, plus the procedures involved in the normal enlisted-officer switch.
The MSC specific qualifications are to have a relevant degree (an MPH with an emphasis in administration is a slam dunk,) a good GRE (which she got to get into grad school,) letters of recommendation, and a favorable interview with a senior MSC. If you were prior service, your military record is examined as well. The interview carries a lot of weight so your friend should think about what she wants to say. Even if her package is good, it could be a while before she is accepted. There is a limited number of slots, and priorities are assigned by AF entry method along with how good the application package is.
MSC assignments align pretty closely with public health work, particularly medical readiness, logistics, and group practice management. She would be most often working in clinics and hospitals.

Tl,dr: Find the contact number for MSCs at AFPC, and tell them you want to become an MSC. They have all the info there.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mustang posted:

My recruiter input my middle and last name as a compound surname, so instead of John Hussein Smith I was John Hussein-Smith and my name patch read HUSSEINSMI (they couldn't stitch all the characters in my new last name). This state of affairs persisted throughout the entire five months I was in.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

can someone address this pls

im pretty on the fence aobut joining the army but really dont like th idea of being stuck in some sandridden hellhole for three years with no chance of meeting an interesting woman, would make my decision a lot easier if i knew whether this is possible or not

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

im pretty on the fence aobut joining the army but really dont like th idea of being stuck in some sandridden hellhole for three years with no chance of meeting an interesting woman, would make my decision a lot easier if i knew whether this is possible or not

It depends, can you bend over backwards and lick your own taint?

vains
May 26, 2004

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

I already told you that you can bang tons of sand slizz.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

You're like asking the military to not do what they're known for. Yea.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

Two of the guys in AIT with me got Kansas as their first duty station so I guess a 20% chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working through this thread, but I want to go into the Air Force as a cryptolinguist. I'm already in DEP for that, took the DLAB and apparently scored really well though I have no idea if that was just my recruiter blowing smoke up my rear end, but I've been waiting for about 6 months so far and haven't heard anything about when I ship out. When they finally give me a date, will it literally be the week before I have to ship out?

• Locked thread