Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

xcore posted:

I haven't read the last 15 pages so apologies if it's been brought up, but are there any Red Wedding style reaction vids out there for Viper/Mountain fight? I would love to see the emotional rollercoaster.

There are reaction videos for everything in this show. At least 4 have been posted so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Eventually everybody will come to accept the only legitimate and true King - Stannis Baratheon. :colbert:

Standing alone in a windswept plain of unending ice, Stannis, the First of His Name and Rightful King of All Westeros glares at the King of the White Walkers. Ser Davos passionately proclaims how Stannis' claim to the Iron Throne is the only true and just claim in all the realm.

The King of the White Walkers nods once, fist-bumps Stannis and heads back North.

The End.

:colbert:

Blazing Ownager posted:

EDIT: I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler but in the book please tell me this fight was from Obreyn's POV? Somehow I can only picture it written that way.

It sure was. Here, let me quote you the relevant section:

quote:

Like an avalanche made of steel The Mountain came at Oberyn. Ducking nimbly under the slashing blade he struck once, twice, three times in the weak points of the armor. The Mountain staggered back and Oberyn stepping in closely and thrust his spear under the Mountain's gorget. Coughing up blood, the Mountain crashed backwards and lay still, dead for all time.

The gathered crowd was silent for an eternal moment and then burst into cheers and joyous tears. Lord Tywin stood up from his seat and waved his hands for silence.

"Prince Oberyn, you have shown true grace and courage in this fight today. I hereby proclaim Tyrion innocent of all wrongdoing and promote him to Heir of Casterly Rock. For your services, I name you Prince Totally Awesome, Protector of the Realm. You are hereby granted unlimited whoring rights within the Seven Kingdoms and get a really neat badge to wear. As for you, Cersei, you will take the black and gently caress off to parts unknown for the rest of your days. Oh, and Jaime, I just talked to the Maesters and since magic is back, you get a new hand. Now, let's dance!"
-- an excerpt from HBO's Game of Thrones - the Book by Alan Dean Foster

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm guessing this is how it plays out more in the book; with the Mountain getting increasingly pissed off instead of just not giving a poo poo like he did in the show. Probably due to acting range. Still drat good comic version of the events, which is ironically less gory than the show execution.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Roose is great because he's smart and ruthless like Tywin but he has people skills and doesn't constantly poo poo on everyone around him. This show is pretty much full of people seeking approval and getting rejected (especially between sons and fathers) so giving Ramsay his name should earn Roose a Father of the Year award.

I wonder how much of Roose's motivation to legitimize Ramsay was "you done good, son" versus "this kid is a loving crazy person and I'd rather have him as a devoted son/ally than resent me and eventually turn against me"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ironlung posted:

I wonder how much of Roose's motivation to legitimize Ramsay was "you done good, son" versus "this kid is a loving crazy person and I'd rather have him as a devoted son/ally than resent me and eventually turn against me"

Have you seen how Roose looks at that kid? He knows. He KNOWS.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Marketing New Brain posted:

I don't think there will be any reprisal from Dorne, it isn't like they rigged the fight, which he entered willingly and against the wishes of the Lannisters.

Is this a real opinion or one of those thinly veiled 'I read the book and know what happens so I'll talk about it as if I'm just gleaning wisely from the show'? :smug:

Season 5 is even 'rumored to take place in Dorn':

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/01/game-of-thrones-oberyn-dead/

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

precision posted:

It is known.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CuddleChunks posted:

-- an excerpt from HBO's Game of Thrones - the Book by Alan Dean Foster

I was mostly thinking of that because it'd been interesting to read all the righteous fury and, from his perspective, total and complete confidence that he was going to win, only to end screaming as his head is popped like a zit. The confusion / shock of the sudden shift somehow would just be more tragic from his thoughts, I'd think.

ironlung posted:

Remember when he talked about kind of respecting the "different way" Ramsey deals with things?

I think Bolton isn't even scared, just reasonably cautious, with Ramsey. More importantly Bolton knows Ramsey is a kind of mad-genius, not just mad, and that he's a powerful weapon he can point in the direction of his enemies as a result. As a house that's known for flaying people, he probably figures even if Ramsey gets a reputation as a complete psychopath that's well known, he's still useful to terrorize people and promote the "don't gently caress with the Boltons. No, not even then!" image.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

He knows, and he loving loves it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dr.Tree posted:

You forgot Stannis... who may be involved with a crazy cult, but you can't argue with results and the god of light gets results.

The Lord of Light literally brought a dude back to life several times. Screw the Seven, I'd sign up for some of that immortality poo poo in a heartbeat. Proof that Stannis knows what's up.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Also wikipedia says they held at 7.20M viewers for the last episode. I bet you anything they crack 8 million after last night's episode, especially once you take into account the normal finale bump.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think Bolton isn't even scared, just reasonably cautious, with Ramsey. More importantly Bolton knows Ramsey is a kind of mad-genius, not just mad, and that he's a powerful weapon he can point in the direction of his enemies as a result. As a house that's known for flaying people, he probably figures even if Ramsey gets a reputation as a complete psychopath that's well known, he's still useful to terrorize people and promote the "don't gently caress with the Boltons. No, not even then!" image.

Yeah, Ramsey to Roose is what the Mountain is to Tywin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only thing Roose really needs to worry about now (other than the Lannisters' increasingly precarious position that he isn't privy to) is that by legitimizing his son he's created a situation where his own death benefits Ramsay immensely.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vanderdeath posted:

The Lord of Light literally brought a dude back to life several times. Screw the Seven, I'd sign up for some of that immortality poo poo in a heartbeat. Proof that Stannis knows what's up.

Seriously, let's break this poo poo down

Old Gods: Trees or some poo poo
The Seven: loving worthless
Death: Rarely stood up
Lord of Light: Resurrecting dudes, shooting a smoke assassin out of a priestess's vagina

The Drowned God: So disappointed

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, you don't need to kill a person to get revenge on them really. I think killing Joffrey is working out just fine as far as getting back at Tywin is concerned.

How is Littlefinger responsible for Cat's death, exactly? I don't really doubt you, I just must have forgot something he did. If you just mean he's responsible because he started all of this bullshit, I think that's a bit too tenuous for me.

No More Heroes posted:

Literally every major character death has been motivated by vengeance with the catalyst being Jamie and Cersei banging and the subsequent investigation into Roberts and their children.

Littlefinger essentially chose which outcome Jon Arryn's investigation would have. Had Jon Arryn been allowed to continue, he would have told Robert, ending Cersei, Jaime, and the kids rather abruptly (possibly triggering a war with Casterly Rock, though Tywin is a pragmatist), or he would've hosed up like Ned/ been killed by Cersei (possibly through Pycelle) anyway, which might have caused similar/identical events to unfold. But in that first scenario, Ned stays with Cat in the North, and there's not as much chaos, so he made sure Jon Arryn died, and in doing that, he caused pretty much every death in this story.

KamikazePotato posted:

I'm actually going to call BS on the 'there are no characters left to root for' notion. We've got:

Tyrion, who is Tyrion.
Jaime, who weird sorta-rape-I-think? scene aside, seems to be undergoing a sort of redemptive arc after his hand got chopped off.
Brienne and Pod, who are obviously good people trying to rescue Stark children.
Arya, who so far hasn't killed someone who didn't deserve it.
Jon and Sam, who are the closest things the show has to stereotypical good guy fantasy protagonists.
Dany, who while is obviously very flawed at this point in time is literally trying to free slaves and keep them free.

And then you get into characters who are kinda lovely people but you can still easily root for at times, like The Hound and Theon.

Seriously, where do people get that idea just because one charismatic guy who was there for 7 episodes dies?

Weird to omit Sansa, the only major character who has not killed a single person (I think?).

Also Arya's first kill was a random kid. Kinda harsh to say he deserved it for the crime of being behind her.

gently caress Theon. There's no redemption from what he did. Jaime's biggest crime is what he did to Bran / killing his plot-device cousin and making subtle references to it; gently caress him too (but god he's dreamy)

The Hound loving rules, and remains the only person besides Tyrion to stick his neck out for the Starks (and survive). Don't kill them, GRRM, you bastard

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

"Hubris never wins"

Honestly, almost every significant character death, save for maybe Remly and Ned can be traced to some form or extension of hubris.

Renly died because he thought he was so special that the rules of succession shouldn't apply to him.

Ned's wasn't quite hubris, though his adherence to his honor was certainly tied to pride, and is definitely why his head left his body.

Vanderdeath posted:

The funny thing is, Melisandre probably can't do it. She was shocked in a way jealous way of what Thoros did. But yeah, I hate Stannis and everyone on Dragonstone who isn't Davos or that princess, but drat if the Lord of Light doesn't deliver (even if apparently the early stuff is all smoke and mirrors. Why do they need that when they have the only actually active god out there?).

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Given that the ironborn religion holds raiding and pillaging as pious, it is probably best that they be exterminated.

Oh poo poo I think I'm a Lannister now.

The Ironborn having power, and House Bolton being trusted will never make sense. Oh, our banner is a dude with his skin cutoff, don't worry about it/ Oh, our whole religion, code, even our house words suggest all we wanna do is rape and pillage you guys.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 3, 2014

tonesville
Apr 25, 2010

Mandrel posted:

I think we're supposed to be noticing a trend re: the Ironborn. That is that Theon being a giant pussy with delusions of grandeur is entirely characteristic of his people and they're pretty much all a bunch of cheap thugs and cowards when the chips are down. They talk tough, but they're not and their lack of sense leaves them continually out of their depth.

gently caress, his sister is depicted as pretty much the only competent one of the whole lot, and look how her much-hyped big dumb rescue mission panned out. They're basically dark comic relief.

Ding Ding! Thugs is perfect.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Lycus posted:

Yeah, Theon was a character that was around in the early seasons. He's dead now, but Reek was pretending to be him.

:(

I feel like the only light at the end of Theon's tunnel is being mercifully killed, by a character who knows nothing of his story. He just deserves peace.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Octolady posted:

Had to go have a lie down after this episode :( Grim.

Seems like everyone worrying about likeable characters are forgetting the Tyrells :colbert: We need more of Margaery and Olanna being the most game ladies in Westeros. Arya is still alive and I can't see her character arc ending anytime soon but oh god I can't see how Tyrion is getting out of this (please no GRRM)

Not sure how likable these people really are. Margaery knew full well what a sociopatch Joffrey was and was still about 4 hours away from chugging one of his hot loads just because she wants power.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tonesville posted:

Ding Ding! Thugs is perfect.

Given that the ironborn religion holds raiding and pillaging as pious, it is probably best that they be exterminated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What is your stance re: paying your debts?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

What is your stance re: paying your debts?

Do it with as much dramatic irony as possible!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So what was up with the pardon letter Barristan Selmy got? They said it had Robert's signature, which means it was (or might have been) the original pardon Jorah got back in Season 1. Did he really keep it around so someone can find it? Or did someone forge Robert's signature?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bobo the Red posted:

Also Arya's first kill was a random kid. Kinda harsh to say he deserved it for the crime of being behind her.
To be fair, he grabbed her and wanted to turn her in to the queen.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Well, Jorah is halfway across the world. I don't think ravens make transoceanic trips. Two years(?) does seem like a long time for one message, though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Away all Goats posted:

So what was up with the pardon letter Barristan Selmy got? They said it had Robert's signature, which means it was (or might have been) the original pardon Jorah got back in Season 1. Did he really keep it around so someone can find it? Or did someone forge Robert's signature?

I think Jorah had to keep it around because he'd need it as proof that he was pardoned. It wouldn't have been hard for Varys to tell the kid to go find it and then hand it to Selmy.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

davidspackage posted:

Oh, that's good to know.

I watched the "inside the episode" for this one linked earlier, and David Benioff dropped something interesting but possibly spoilery:

he says something along the lines of "the Mountain's just been stabbed, been poisoned... Oberyn poisoned his spears before battle? I presume we'll find out quickly next week. I kind of hope the Mountain makes it so someone else gets a chance to put him down, but that's not really how this show works.

To answer your blacked-out text with show-only information:

It is shown in the episode, but easily missed. Like Olenna snatching a stone from Sansa's necklace during the Purple Wedding. http://youtu.be/qyOw7ScY4F4 See 1:21 of this Youtube clip. Pretty sure his squire isn't just polishing that spear for fun. Benioff's comment in the Inside the Episode is as good a confirmation as any.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Away all Goats posted:

We saw the prelude to that message being sent earlier in the season. Tywin: "Lord Tyrell, bring me my quill and paper!" "Varys, can your little birds make it into Meereen?"

Don't know why Jorah denied it being a forgery, though, even if the information was legit.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 3, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

We saw the prelude to that message being sent earlier in the season. Tywin: "Lord Tyrell, bring me my quill and paper!" "Varys, can your little birds make it into Meereen?"

Don't know why Jorah denied it being a forgery, though, even if the information was legit.

He'd have no way of knowing if it was a forgery, or something that Robert actually wrote and placed into his safe deposit box. I think he was so flustered about something that was obviously so long ago in the past coming up that he didn't know what to do. It was a masterstroke by Tywin though, not just weakening Dany by getting rid of one of her better advisors, but also someone who was of nobility and would have been useful in (say) negotiating dragon-landing rights in Dorne.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That's true, I guess he figured he couldn't talk his way out of it completely, and figured she'd forgive him if he came clean.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

That's true, I guess he figured he couldn't talk his way out of it completely, and figured she'd forgive him if he came clean.

Which is one of her weaknesses - she's not into the whole 'forgiveness' thing, and almost every house in Westeros (except for who, the Tyrells and the Martells?) is going to think that she is going to come after them for the Rebellion, instead of just telling them to bend the knee. She basically didn't learn anything from what Jonah was trying to teach her an episode or two ago and it's going to bite her in the rear end.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whilst it's normally really painful to listen to the Rooster Teeth guys talk about GoT, Burnie had an interesting quip a few weeks back.

Why the gently caress would Dany even want to come to Westeros? The place is absolute poo poo hole with practically zero redeeming qualities. The only places that aren't completely awful seem to be Highgarden, a goldless Casterly Rock and Whiteharbour. Interestingly, all places we have never visited; so I'm sure if we did, it would turn out that they are complete dumps as well.

Compare this to Braavos, Slavers Bay and Qarth and I would take my sweet time invading the West as well.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

xcore posted:

Whilst it's normally really painful to listen to the Rooster Teeth guys talk about GoT, Burnie had an interesting quip a few weeks back.

Why the gently caress would Dany even want to come to Westeros? The place is absolute poo poo hole with practically zero redeeming qualities. The only places that aren't completely awful seem to be Highgarden, a goldless Casterly Rock and Whiteharbour. Interestingly, all places we have never visited; so I'm sure if we did, it would turn out that they are complete dumps as well.

Compare this to Braavos, Slavers Bay and Qarth and I would take my sweet time invading the West as well.

You forgot Sunspear. But I agree that the East looks alot better than Westeros in several ways.

If I was forced to live in this world, I would choose Braavos or Dorne.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Nah, I'd say Slavers' Bay is a bigger shithole than Westeros. The Free Cities seem cool, but not Slavers' Bay.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

xcore posted:

Well they don't allow slavery for one thing. Also I'm sure she sees the throne as some sort of birthright and its her duty to her people to take it back.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Speleothing posted:

At the very least Alfie Allen needs some serious recognition for how much he's killing it.

I can acknowledge that his most recent scene with the Ironborn was very well acted but my brain just associates theon with the torture scenes and it's impossible for me to not be bored whenever he's on screen. I assume the same will happen whenever Dany finally does something cool in like season 8

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Away all Goats posted:

Probably a forgery, but it also makes sense to make multiple copies of all official documents.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Kasonic posted:

Well, Jorah is halfway across the world. I don't think ravens make transoceanic trips. Two years(?) does seem like a long time for one message, though.

I thought Robert did sign it two years ago, but Tywin just sent it now since Jorah had gone rogue and he wanted to create division in the ranks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

xcore posted:

She grew up with it being drummed into her head that a great injustice was done to her family, and while she's long since moved out from under the shadow of her brother and become a force to be reckoned with in her own right, that kind of conditioning is hard to shake. The Iron Throne is HERS by right, that's just something she can't let go off any more than Stannis can let go of his own claim.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ironlung posted:

The thing that has me concerned (Roose is enough of an rear end in a top hat that I wouldn't say I'm "worried" for him) is that Ramsay, thankful as he is, might see that this makes him heir to everything that's his father's now. Which is a lot, considering that with everyone thinking the Starks are dead he's Warden of the North, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonesville
Apr 25, 2010

Dey fuckd my boy O'brian up! Whaddufuk?!

• Locked thread