Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I have a job posting up and it says email Human.Resources@buttstuffsincorperated.com You god drat better email that and not the HR Manager. I am not having to sort 2 email boxes because someone internet detectived me out.

Seriously, any goon that says to do this is not in HR. I am telling you as someone who is an HR Director to not do this..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Benny, find the office you're applying to then show up in reception holding a boombox over your head blasting the song that best describes you as a potential employee.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

If I have a job posting up and it says email Human.Resources@buttstuffsincorperated.com You god drat better email that and not the HR Manager. I am not having to sort 2 email boxes because someone internet detectived me out.

Seriously, any goon that says to do this is not in HR. I am telling you as someone who is an HR Director to not do this..

Yep, even a small org doesn't want dox poo poo. Common sense.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

What I meant is more, address the person by name, not send it to a different address. Ie, don't do "To whom it may concern", instead find out the HR director's name and address them by "Mr/Mrs. name". No blanket statements, basically. =)

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

But I got it. I'll cut out "My name is" and skip straight to "I am proud to announce".

No no no no no no, just no.

It should start like "I'm writing in response to the sales position advertised.....".

You're sending out a cover letter for a job, not loving marriage invitations.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dex posted:

Benny, find the office you're applying to then show up in reception holding a boombox over your head blasting the song that best describes you as a potential employee.

Honestly, there are times when I am desperate enough that this would get someone a job.

I wish I was kidding.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I am proud to announce how surprised I am this thread's still here, btw.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Benny, how does it make you feel when people in this thread say you are so bad at life that you should give up and apply for SSI?

E: is a library allowed to sell anything?

Not to be mean or pile on, but I'm curious to know this as well. Do you gloss over this stuff to focus on the job advice or what? To be fair, I don't know how I would react if I were Benny either.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Darth123123 posted:

E: is a library allowed to sell anything?
The books we sell are either donated or withdrawn. We put them on shelves, organized by type and author. The books are priced accordingly. Paperbacks are a quarter a pop, bestsellers are $4, etc. We have a money box put on one of the shelves for people to drop their money in. It's an honor system. From what I've seen, other libraries follow a similar system.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I have never heard of someone saying "proud to announce" while applying for a job. Ever. Why would you ever consider using that? You're not getting married or having a baby. You're applying for a job. For the love of God, don't use that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Selling excess books is totally kosher for libraries. People are always donating stuff the library has a zillion copies of already; libraries also buy multiple copies of bestsellers and then deaccession some once the demand goes down (a library might have bought 20 copies of The Kite Runner when it was a big thing, and now only need 2).

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Selling them cheap online isn't a bad idea.

Benny, I'm kind of amazed how many people want to help you despite how huge a gently caress up you are. Does it amaze you, too? Stop assuming you know how to do basic things (like write a resume) and just ask for help from the get go.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

JakeP posted:

In reverse though, a snake jamming its head up its own rear end

Poo-roboros.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone ever seen any proof that Benny's degree is real, or is it going to be a future "Hey I need to come clean" post? Sure would explain a lot.

Alkaiser fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 3, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not exactly professional, but it does tie into my current volunteering and would look really good on my resume.

I have a mean-spirited little chuckle every time I read that sentence.

Oh Benny. :allears: A job you hold down for more than a couple weeks would look good on your resume, not this silly volunteer poo poo. But, "Benny" so I understand why that's just not happening for you.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alkaiser posted:

Has anyone ever seen any proof that Benny's degree is real, or is it going to be a future "Hey I need to come clean" post? Sure would explain a lot.

Well, in order to graduate from a polytechnic, you need to pass a Graduate Writing Test, part of your senior year you need to either perform a project or an internship. So if he did an internship, where did that go?

If he did a project, what was it and why is it so lovely that it literally not worth contributing.

Mid-way through they have you take "This field and you" courses. Both at the 200 level and 400 level. This ensures you know what you are getting into, and at the 400 level it prepares you to place into that field.

If he did all that and couldn't place, he is literally retarded.

Or the degree doesn't exist.

Polytechnics are unique in that they are applied schools. You earn bachelors of Science not bachelors of Arts unless you are specifically an arts degree. I have had numerous friends go to them. Good schools.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Well, in order to graduate from a polytechnic, you need to pass a Graduate Writing Test, part of your senior year you need to either perform a project or an internship. So if he did an internship, where did that go?

If he did a project, what was it and why is it so lovely that it literally not worth contributing.

Mid-way through they have you take "This field and you" courses. Both at the 200 level and 400 level. This ensures you know what you are getting into, and at the 400 level it prepares you to place into that field.

Polytechnics are unique in that they are applied schools. You earn bachelors of Science not bachelors of Arts unless you are specifically an arts degree. I have had numerous friends go to them. Good schools.

he interned for a political campaign but never got his letter of recommendation or reference or whatever lol

e: because of a very benny gently caress up iirc

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

The books we sell are either donated or withdrawn. We put them on shelves, organized by type and author. The books are priced accordingly. Paperbacks are a quarter a pop, bestsellers are $4, etc. We have a money box put on one of the shelves for people to drop their money in. It's an honor system. From what I've seen, other libraries follow a similar system.

Makes sense, thanks.

Now please answer the primary question I posed. This may help, never know. Not being a bad frogger or whatever.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i am he posted:

he interned for a political campaign but never got his letter of recommendation or reference or whatever lol

e: because of a very benny gently caress up iirc

No, you have to have them give you a referral to pass the internship for graduation. I had to write one for a kid interning for my company for a polytechnic. If she went back home without it, it was like the internship never happened. It is sorta a big deal. Graduation requirement level.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

I passed the GWT. As for the senior project, funny story. I can't remember whether it was the year I declared my major (which was the first) or if it was the year I switched my emphasis from education to lit based on a misunderstanding (long story). To make a long story short, one of those two years made me exempt from the senior project. So no, I don't have a senior thesis. Which was good because Lord knows what I would've done and how big of an embarrassment it would've been.

Darth123123 posted:

Makes sense, thanks.

Now please answer the primary question I posed. This may help, never know. Not being a bad frogger or whatever.
How do I feel about goons saying I should sign up for welfare/SSI because I'm so inept? To them I say gently caress that and have a nice day :)

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny the Snake, why are you calling your internship a fellowship, after using " internship" for the first 40 pages of the thread?

Were you actually a volunteer Campaign Fellow?

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

No, you have to have them give you a referral to pass the internship for graduation. I had to write one for a kid interning for my company for a polytechnic. If she went back home without it, it was like the internship never happened. It is sorta a big deal. Graduation requirement level.

ah i see i guess that was just a regular internship then

but his answer is p funny too

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

crabrock posted:

Secondly, the email address you're sending that from better be something like Benny.Ortiz@gmail.com and not bennythesnakeSA33@yahoo.com

diaperbabymanlookingforolderlove@hotmail.com

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Uncle Salty posted:

Benny the Snake, why are you calling your internship a fellowship, after using " internship" for the first 40 pages of the thread?

Were you actually a volunteer Campaign Fellow?
Yeah I was a fellow. I was one of the first volunteers so the campaign director made me a fellow.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

How do I feel about goons saying I should sign up for welfare/SSI because I'm so inept? To them I say gently caress that and have a nice day :)

Yes, this is fine. But what happens when your mom no longer wants to or (god forbid) is no longer able to take care of you? I'm not trying to be a dick, Benny. You're not really good at holding jobs so you need to think of this poo poo.

e:

Benny the Snake posted:

I passed the GWT. As for the senior project, funny story. I can't remember whether it was the year I declared my major (which was the first) or if it was the year I switched my emphasis from education to lit based on a misunderstanding (long story). To make a long story short, one of those two years made me exempt from the senior project. So no, I don't have a senior thesis. Which was good because Lord knows what I would've done and how big of an embarrassment it would've been.

This IS a funny story.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Benny the Snake posted:

Is this the part of the thread where Benny suddenly realizes he never did his senior project and that he never actually graduated?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Aqua Bear posted:

Yes, this is fine. But what happens when your mom no longer wants to or (god forbid) is no longer able to take care of you? I'm not trying to be a dick, Benny. You're not really good at holding jobs so you need to think of this poo poo.

e:

This IS a funny story.

I think I asked this around page 5 or so, still waiting for an answer.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
I hope he's not lying or trying to save face about the degree thing.

Because that didn't sound like an honest answer even though I feel like it's inconceivable he wouldn't have somehow been caught in lying about it.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Waiting for the inevitable 'well they said 'hey there fellow' to me once and I just assumed they had made me a fellow for no logical reason' post in the coming weeks.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Krotera posted:

I hope he's not lying or trying to save face about the degree thing.

Because that didn't sound like an honest answer even though I feel like it's inconceivable he wouldn't have somehow been caught in lying about it.

Most of the poo poo Benny posts is him lying so probably, people just don't bother calling him out anymore. Like this whole ridiculous thing about medi-cal process times. I live like an hour and a bit from Benny so I know he's lying but then any idiot with brain function can look up how long the medi-cal processing times are and they aren't two months.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hm, 246 new posts in the Benny thread. He either got fired or went on a spree killing.

Congrats on not killing anyone yet, Benny.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Queen Elizatits posted:

Most of the poo poo Benny posts is him lying so probably, people just don't bother calling him out anymore. Like this whole ridiculous thing about medi-cal process times. I live like an hour and a bit from Benny so I know he's lying but then any idiot with brain function can look up how long the medi-cal processing times are and they aren't two months.

He didn't explicitly say he had the degree. He also didn't explain why what happened would cause the requirement to be waived and instead just called it a "long story" multiple times. Those two things really bug me.

Krotera fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 3, 2014

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
He also couldn't go to the graduation party his family was going to throw him.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

bringer posted:

He also couldn't go to the graduation party his family was going to throw him.

:eyepop:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
he definitely doesn't have a degree lol

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny the Snake posted:

To them I say gently caress that and have a nice day :)

Actions speak louder than words.

You can say "gently caress that" but sooner or later your parents aren't going to be able to provide for you anymore, and what are you going to do then? This is a realistic question. Go live with other family members?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Benny putting things on eBay is not sales experience, it is navigating a website. Go to a used car dealership, that is what people mean when they say the phrase sales experience.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am going to say that he does not have the degree until some sort of proof is provided.

Which means that this thread should be goldmined forever.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny, did you or did you not graduate from University? Do you have a degree? Tell the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bardeh posted:

Benny, did you or did you not graduate from University? Do you have a degree? Tell the truth.

No, you need to be more specific.

The university he has been claiming he has graduated from this whole time, with the degree he has been claiming he has graduated with, the four year bachelors of arts degree in English literature. Including completion of ENG466 (That my cursory google search tells me you would need)

• Locked thread