Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shindragon posted:

You do realize that magnet snake is going to appear right? The first time he intervened the sky went orange. Not sure why he decided to save Max right now instead of ya know when he was falling. This is going to be great. The first time they will actually talk.

It probably decided to intervene now because Max is now above ground, where he can easily be seen and talked to. Having just a tiny bit of room in a dark dirt filled tunnel does lend itself well to very good talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tupperwarez posted:

It was pretty chatty when it was talking to Doorman via Max. Whether or not it actually deigns to talk to him remains to be seen.

I wasn't here at the time, but when I read through I actually took that as being something other than Magnet Snake. A hint that there's more to Max than meets the eye. Which isn't exactly surprising, given he's the main character and all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

MikeJF posted:

And I suppose panel one is Isabel figuring out that intercepting a respawn kills them permanently, judging by that spirit's spirit fleeing? Although that's not gonna help much if she has some kind of breakdown from letting Max die a la panel four.

It doesn't look like it killed it permanently as it seems to be respawning in panel 4.

neogeo0823 posted:

Also, interestingly, that one pixel dog died on the spot and is respawning in the same location. Looks like all you need to do to stop them is keep part of your body in the little respawn sprite before they materialize and they'll be stuck in a respawn loop.

I think the way they'll have to defeat the dogs will be to kick them out of the train if it goes underground again and leave them there. Can respawn in all that earth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Shindragon posted:

You do realize that magnet snake is going to appear right? The first time he intervened the sky went orange. Not sure why he decided to save Max right now instead of ya know when he was falling. This is going to be great. The first time they will actually talk.
He did save Max when he was falling. The "large subterranean insect" was a joke.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhonne posted:

It doesn't look like it killed it permanently as it seems to be respawning in panel 4.

There are 3 of them, so it could be the brains of the operation rejoining the fight

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

He did save Max when he was falling. The "large subterranean insect" was a joke.

Nnnno? The magnet snake looks nothing like what saved him, nor does it likely have the ability to leave its tool right now.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tupperwarez posted:

It was pretty chatty when it was talking to Doorman via Max. Whether or not it actually deigns to talk to him remains to be seen.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll have to go find that bit in the archive.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

There are 3 of them, so it could be the brains of the operation rejoining the fight

There were three of them total, and one of them left the train. The one that left the train led Spender to Forge, was killed, respawned and then fled or hid but wasn't killed again so it has no reason to respawn, and especially not on-board the train. The two that remained in the train were just two, and they're still respawning like usual. However, it looks like you can spawnkill them by placing a spirit-interacting object (like a young spectral girl's arm) at their respawn location; so this might offer a way to dispose of them permanently.

Pushing them out of the train into the Earth wouldn't be it, though. They're spirits, not spectrals or tools. They could float through mundane dirt. Eightfold is presumed trapped because her book got stuck in dirt, and Max risked to be crushed and asphixiated once out of the train's warp zone, but the pixel dogs aren't bound by the same physical limitations.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Another useful bit is these guys can apparently be stunned by hitting them with something blunt instead of constantly going for killing blows. Even if the stun doesn't last any longer than their usual respawn time at least being able to see them should provide some advantage.

Also look at the little pixel stars in panel 3 that's wonderful.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Maduo posted:

It's almost as if Max has been transported to some sort of land full of junk and metal where time of day is immaterial but that couldn't be it's not like we have some sort of precedent for this

Shindragon posted:

You do realize that magnet snake is going to appear right? The first time he intervened the sky went orange.

Mark me down as suitably informed and ashamed for not picking up on what's going on. :v:

I'm half expecting the magnet snake's just going to give him another mysterious look before disappearing again, or maybe just non-verbally point out something useful. Gotta build that suspense.

And drat if Isabel isn't having the worst day. Forget blaming Max for what happened to Eightfold, she's probably gonna punch him for making her think she got the newbie killed first day. But hey, surviving against expectations is a good way to show you don't completely suck, so maybe it'll still count.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I want Isabel's grandpa to beat Spender up and call him mean names. :mad:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The more things happen, the more I feel Isabel is going to punch Spender in the face. After all he was the one who thought it was the bright idea to team the newbie up with her.

I would figure Issac/Max would work more because they seen each others powers or at least had an idea.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shindragon posted:

The more things happen, the more I feel Isabel is going to punch Spender in the face. After all he was the one who thought it was the bright idea to team the newbie up with her.

I would figure Issac/Max would work more because they seen each others powers or at least had an idea.

Max and Isaac would be able to mostly coordinate, and Ed and Isabel were pretty darn good as a team. Also, spender shouldn't have abandoned his students for any reason, even if it meant breaking whatever rules about no spirits in or out of the bubble. Basically, Spender's gonna have hell to pay after this is all said and done.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Spender seems incredibly incompetent at his job. He's like Kakashi but actually terrible, instead of pretend terrible.

And yet, he has a spirit called Lucifer and has apparently bested the most powerful of spirits. It seems he gets a lot of leeway within his organization too, since B.L. took special measures to mess with him.

Actually, do we even know what the Cousinhood wants to investigate about Mayview?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Actually, do we even know what the Cousinhood wants to investigate about Mayview?

I'm assuming something relating to Max and/or his family.

As well written as the story as been so far, Max is still the main character and he wouldn't be if there wasn't a good reason. So far he's no more special than anybody else in the core cast, arguably less so.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm assuming something relating to Max and/or his family.

As well written as the story as been so far, Max is still the main character and he wouldn't be if there wasn't a good reason. So far he's no more special than anybody else in the core cast, arguably less so.

The main character doesn't necessarily have to be special or important. Zack's already toyed with this, what with Max having a relatively common type of spectral energy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Max and Isaac would be able to mostly coordinate, and Ed and Isabel were pretty darn good as a team. Also, spender shouldn't have abandoned his students for any reason, even if it meant breaking whatever rules about no spirits in or out of the bubble. Basically, Spender's gonna have hell to pay after this is all said and done.

He's already getting taunted by a giant anvil-man, what more do you want

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Please respect team refrigerator reminder.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Slime posted:

The main character doesn't necessarily have to be special or important. Zack's already toyed with this, what with Max having a relatively common type of spectral energy.

As a counterpoint, he's been shown to be special in some way with Doorman. He averages out thus far to being about as unique a snowflake as anyone else, but I really doubt Max is going to stay a nobody for long.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Oxxidation posted:

He's already getting taunted by a giant anvil-man, what more do you want

Retribution

Eightfold dying because Spender is an incompetent anime man is the greatest tragedy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max still needs to meet up with his dead mom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

Retribution

Eightfold dying because Spender is an incompetent anime man is the greatest tragedy.

A valid point. The nerd must bleed.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Oxxidation posted:

"Stop sucking so much. You will spoil my nefarious plan. Scrappy out."

I am like 100% open to the possibility that Scrapdragon isn't evil. I'm betting it's like, incompetent, or it has the mind of a really happy toddler, or it's been chatting with his mother and she really thinks it's time he had a haircut.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Buttass posted:

I am like 100% open to the possibility that Scrapdragon isn't evil. I'm betting it's like, incompetent, or it has the mind of a really happy toddler, or it's been chatting with his mother and she really thinks it's time he had a haircut.

Well, again, we've already seen it talking, and it sure as poo poo doesn't seem incompetent or dim. Of course, we haven't really seen anything to suggest that it would be evil, either.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Was it confirmed that whatever possessed Max was the Scrapdragon? I don't remember.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

paradoxGentleman posted:

Was it confirmed that whatever possessed Max was the Scrapdragon? I don't remember.

No, but what else is it going to be?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Autonomous Monster posted:

Dun Dun Dunnnnnn!

(I have no idea)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is there anything at all in the comic that says Max cannot be possessed like Isaac and use a tool at the same time? It's entirely possible that there's another spirit hitching a ride in his body that had just been smart enough to keep on the down low.

Also I'm pretty sure that a spirit trapped in a tool is incapable of hijacking a body.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mr. stefan posted:

Is there anything at all in the comic that says Max cannot be possessed like Isaac and use a tool at the same time? It's entirely possible that there's another spirit hitching a ride in his body that had just been smart enough to keep on the down low.

Also I'm pretty sure that a spirit trapped in a tool is incapable of hijacking a body.

The comic pointedly shows off Max's bat glowing just after the possession ends.

It's Scrapdragon.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

It's actually been shown that a spectral can be both possessed and own a tool! In particular, Mr Spender.

The one talking to Max is totally scrap snake, though.It's the same sunset-of-civilisation backdrop as the last time.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The comic pointedly shows off Max's bat glowing just after the possession ends.

It's Scrapdragon.

It shows Max's energy coming off him as he walks through the door, but Max just kind of randomly bleeds energy anyway so I'm not sure that means much.

mr. stefan posted:

More importantly is this. Not to say it isn't possible and Spender's just an idiot for not telling the kids about it, since telling them important things once it's too late is his thing, but I'm putting my money on Max having someone hanging around in his body on top of Scrapdragon chilling in his bat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It shows Max's energy coming off him as he walks through the door, but Max just kind of randomly bleeds energy anyway so I'm not sure that means much.

More importantly is this. Not to say it isn't possible and Spender's just an idiot for not telling the kids about it, since telling them important things once it's too late is his thing, but I'm putting my money on Max having someone hanging around in his body on top of Scrapdragon chilling in his bat.

It's Scrapdragon, for goodness' sake. Spirits in tools that are in close proximity to their Spectral had might as well be possessing somebody, it's why Spender flings Max's bat across the room before briefing him on his assignment. There is no evidence, none, zero, that anything is particularly special about Max beyond being a fledgling gymnast with weapons-grade sarcasm who can see dead people and has a magic baseball bat containing a metal-master hell-snake. Perfectly mundane.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Oxxidation posted:

It's Scrapdragon, for goodness' sake. Spirits in tools that are in close proximity to their Spectral had might as well be possessing somebody, it's why Spender flings Max's bat across the room before briefing him on his assignment. There is no evidence, none, zero, that anything is particularly special about Max beyond being a fledgling gymnast with weapons-grade sarcasm who can see dead people and has a magic baseball bat containing a metal-master hell-snake. Perfectly mundane.

The other argument that it's Scrapdragon is that the ghosts, for whatever reason, generally mimic their owners (both Isaac and Storm God are hot-headed, Eightfold and Isabel are somewhat carefree, Isabel and Forge are dealing with guilt, just you watch, Spender and Lucifer are a bit goofy), so it'd make sense that Scrapdragon would choose a host as acerbic as him. Of course, I guess that'd go for an elusive possessing spirit too, but either way, Scrapdragon is probably not very dumb or incompetent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure at what point Max could be possessed. He managed to get through the barrier to get into Mayview in the first place, and only after that did he start seeing shadows of spirits.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a related topic, someone mentioned tool spirits not being able to possess their owners, but at the least we just saw Eightfold force Isabel into that spectral mind space thing they do, and she's pretty weak. Heck, when Isaac did it, he asked the storm god to do it. Obviously, this isn't the same as possession, but it indicates that the spirits have at least some autonomous powers, so I wouldn't be surprised if a less moral spirit (storm god's a dick but he still goes on about good and evil) could hijack their (extremely inexperienced) wielder now and then.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

On a related topic, someone mentioned tool spirits not being able to possess their owners, but at the least we just saw Eightfold force Isabel into that spectral mind space thing they do, and she's pretty weak. Heck, when Isaac did it, he asked the storm god to do it. Obviously, this isn't the same as possession, but it indicates that the spirits have at least some autonomous powers, so I wouldn't be surprised if a less moral spirit (storm god's a dick but he still goes on about good and evil) could hijack their (extremely inexperienced) wielder now and then.

That's already happened, when magnet-snake-thing took over to talk to the doorman.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

That's already happened, when magnet-snake-thing took over to talk to the doorman.

Yes, that is what I am referring to. Some people think Max is possessed by a different spirit though, so I am arguing against that and saying that he doesn't need to be outright possessed for the brief hijacking to have occurred.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm betting most spirits wouldn't hijack their wielder like that, to. Probably out of a mix of respect and fear that the wielder might get rid of the tool if they knew it could temporarily possess them. Scrap Dragon just gives no fucks.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
See, I'm just not sure spirits could hijack their partner at all.

From what we've seen (with Eightfold) for a spirit to leave it's tool it has to use the energy it's built up to basically reincarnate it's original spirit body, and to then go back into a tool it has to "die" and go into white ghostly form. So the line of thought that can be drawn from there is that a spirit can't leave its tool without reincarnating its original spirit body, and a "living" spirit can't possess a tool or person, which means a spirit in a tool can't possess its user. The "spirit room" we've seen a bunch of is pretty clearly less a physical thing and more a telepathic situation that alters the perception of time. This effect can only occur when the tool and owner are within interacting range, for most people that's either literally holding the tool or otherwise having it no further away than your clothing. Isabel is repeatedly noted as being special in that she can fully utilize her tool from a considerable distance, which includes being able to go into spirit time at range. This is why when Spender wanted to talk to Max without his spirit hearing, he chucked his bat away because that would break the connection between the two.

That's my thought process, more or less, on why I think Max has been (at some point) possessed by something. The only situation we've been exposed to wherein a spirit could take over a human and speak through them is possession, unless (and this is entirely possible) some things have been kept from us thus far re: risks to tool use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Counterpoint: second to last panel. Also, these two sentences,

quote:

From what we've seen (with Eightfold) for a spirit to leave it's tool it has to use the energy it's built up to basically reincarnate it's original spirit body, and to then go back into a tool it has to "die" and go into white ghostly form. So the line of thought that can be drawn from there is that a spirit can't leave its tool without reincarnating its original spirit body, and a "living" spirit can't possess a tool or person, which means a spirit in a tool can't possess its user.
don't add up quite right. A "living" spirit is free of its tool, and cannot posses a person or tool. A "dead" spirit can posses a person or tool. A spirit inside a tool is considered dead in this case, until it gains enough energy to reincarnate. So, a spirit inside a tool, being dead, should be able to possess the tool's wielder, since it's already got the mental link and is feeding off of their energy anyway.

The only real questions is why or how Max was possessed and not aware of it.