Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silento posted:

If you end up reading Negima, and you should, please post your reactions in this thread. I'd love to hear what a first-time reader thinks of it. :)

"Hooray, I'm now on an FBI watchlist. Thanks, ADTRW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

If I remember right, the Xebec Negima anime had one episode worth watching.Sayo's backstory was handled well enough.

Also, the English dub outtakes to hear the VA's struggle with manga-Latin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the cool things about the Negima was the ancient languages were actually pretty decent.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Oh my god Karin got black hole'd :gonk:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silento posted:

If you end up reading Negima, and you should, please post your reactions in this thread. I'd love to hear what a first-time reader thinks of it. :)

That doesn't fill me with much confidence. This is going to turn into another Kenichi.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Huh? What was wrong with Kenichi?

People always like first-time reactions. Especially for a series which starts so humbly and gradually becomes so :krad:. You'll enjoy it.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

HellCopter posted:

"You're a girl, I don't fight GIRLS! :qq:"
"You won't fight me because I'm a woman? Oh my, what a gentleman. :byodame:"

Among other things.

The Evil Thing fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 19, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima is also positively chaste compared to the fanservice in Kenichi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

HellCopter posted:

People always like first-time reactions. Especially for a series which starts so humbly and gradually becomes so :krad:. You'll enjoy it.

Eventually the fanservice hit critical mass and I couldn't ignore it. I do walk into new series with no expectations so it's not like I'm actually expecting Negima to be terrible or anything. I'll probably get around to reading it later this week.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AfroSquirrel posted:

If I remember right, the Xebec Negima anime had one episode worth watching.Sayo's backstory was handled well enough.

Also, the English dub outtakes to hear the VA's struggle with manga-Latin.

This is true. Episode nineteen if I remember correctly. That's literally all that's worth watching; I can't remember if the comic touched on Sayo's backstory at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is true. Episode nineteen if I remember correctly. That's literally all that's worth watching; I can't remember if the comic touched on Sayo's backstory at all.

It didn't, but instead we got Mini-Sayo piloting a life-size Sayo with laser eyes.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It didn't, but instead we got Mini-Sayo piloting a life-size Sayo with laser eyes.

It also had rocket boosters and arm guns! :allears:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Great Chapter. Fate hasn't changed. "That's right. I'm Fate Avurruncus. The sworn friend of this boy's, Touta Konoe's grandfather" Only Fate can make being friends with Negi seem so intense.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Brought To You By posted:

Eventually the fanservice hit critical mass and I couldn't ignore it. I do walk into new series with no expectations so it's not like I'm actually expecting Negima to be terrible or anything. I'll probably get around to reading it later this week.

All of the women in Kenichi are basically naked all of the time and what little clothes they wear tend to explode.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rei_ posted:

All of the women in Kenichi are basically naked all of the time and what little clothes they wear tend to explode.

I persisted with that one way too long. I think I gave up on it around "my granddaughter is near-death, I'm going to slap a leaf on each of her tits and one on her crotch". :suicide:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
So there was a misprint of the chapter title page and CRs version which is now up has the fix.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

New chapter's up!

I always love seeing a good plan start going down in flames.

I'm really interested to see exactly what's going on with Fate. It would make sense that he might start acting differently if Negi were gone and no-one could take the place of his influence but it's curious that he seems to have an obsession with Negi's descendants.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious as to why his friends being there might be a problem. Once they achieve their objective, literally nothing matters. It's why Mr. Roboto is planning to do that hilarious attack on the port as a distraction

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I'm curious as to why his friends being there might be a problem. Once they achieve their objective, literally nothing matters. It's why Mr. Roboto is planning to do that hilarious attack on the port as a distraction

I dunno, seeing your friends get blown up by a space laser, even if it's in a "dead end" timeline so to speak, probably isn't something that's going to be easy to just shrug off.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Uh...what if they're not resetting time and just switching themselves out with a parallel universe? The robot dude mentioned that they're not sure how her powers work. They might not be undoing deaths but just ending up in a place where those deaths didn't occur. A lot of people would be uncomfortable with that possibility as it means his original friends would be dead even if he ends up in a place where it's fundamentally difficult to tell that happened. Also it's just kind of a dickish thing to do in general.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta is fine with the being unkillable part of immortality. He is like 14, so it probably comes naturally to him. The necessary emotional detachment, though? He doesn't understand that at all. Touta isn't going to be able to put his friends at risk even if he knows it will be reset. He lacks emotional maturity, even more so than most teenage boys because he only has like 3 years worth of memories. Basically all he needs to do here is not hesitate, but that is basically all he can do right now.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Touta is a kid, and it would be hard even for an adult to rationally analyze and cope with a situation in which you watch your close friends be blown up by laser beams.

I'm still hoping Fate has a silly reason for wanting Touta, but it's seeming less and less likely by the chapter. Oh well. :saddowns:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Silento posted:

Touta is a kid, and it would be hard even for an adult to rationally analyze and cope with a situation in which you watch your close friends be blown up by laser beams.

I'm still hoping Fate has a silly reason for wanting Touta, but it's seeming less and less likely by the chapter. Oh well. :saddowns:

Clearly its because he couldn't have Negi once he died. But he can keep Touta forever :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GodFish posted:

Clearly its because he couldn't have Negi once he died. But he can keep Touta forever :v:
I was thinking he might have heard that Touta got turned by Eva but not that she only did it to save his life, so he's miffed at Eva and UQ Holder as a whole.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fate was never human. By the time they became friends, Negi wasn't human either. Why would he give a drat about Touta being a vampire?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda hoping Touta completely forgets the plan for a split second and runs up to greet his friends.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I just love that robo-dude's plan is apparently Chachamaru's killsat from her Pactio with Negi.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In the end, what bothered me most about Negima's ending is that he never picked a girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

In the end, what bothered me most about Negima's ending is that he never picked a girl.

Considering that Negi never hit puberty, having him never pick a girl was perfectly fine with me.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Namtab posted:

Truly, there are some things man is not meant to know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silento posted:

Truly, there are some things man is not meant to know.

Or woman, apparently, if we're going with the Biblical definition.

Clearly, Tota's mother was created through mitosis.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was Chisame and I will hear no disagreement :colbert:.

Edit: I was also happy to see her right next to Negi in the spread on the first page of last chapter.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 2, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Or woman, apparently, if we're going with the Biblical definition.

Clearly, Tota's mother was created through mitosis.

Chao knew though!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Considering that Negi never hit puberty, having him never pick a girl was perfectly fine with me.

I know most people hate the forced ending of Negima but we actually know that Negi hit his teens at least and that he at least picked _someone_ if not who it was

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tota is descended in some way from Konoka. Personally, I hope that Negi just served as a sperm donor for Konoka and Setsuna. Those two were the only real couple in Negima, after all. In other words, Negi might have never managed to choose a girl.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Tota is descended in some way from Konoka. Personally, I hope that Negi just served as a sperm donor for Konoka and Setsuna. Those two were the only real couple in Negima, after all. In other words, Negi might have never managed to choose a girl.

Natsumi and Kotarou are over in the corner being sad about how you forgot they existed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Natsumi and Kotarou are over in the corner being sad about how you forgot they existed.

Again, I have a very hard time taking a relationship involving a pre-pubescent child seriously. In Negima, all of the named male characters are either children or adults. Asuna was portrayed as being a weirdo for being into old men, even though she was pretty much the only person who consistently pointed out how bizarre it was to consider a 10 year old boy as a love interest. Besides, Kotarou was even less interested in girls than Negi, except for when it came to power levels. He was physically and mentally a child in every way.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Again, I have a very hard time taking a relationship involving a pre-pubescent child seriously.

And it literally says that Kotarou and Natsumi got married like two pages after Setsuna and Konoe are shown to have in that last chapter. Ain't got nothing to do with age and they're apparently still crying in that corner all alone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Robviously posted:

And it literally says that Kotarou and Natsumi got married like two pages after Setsuna and Konoe are shown to have in that last chapter. Ain't got nothing to do with age and they're apparently still crying in that corner all alone.

Now that, I did forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
You're forgetting Asuna's crush with the chi/ki skill and one of the other teachers and the loli twins with the furry princes

• Locked thread