Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Huh, last time I tried a name change it only had two fields, was recommended to change both, and it worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Strange. Change all five then. It sticks for me (be sure you're using Unicode...)

Tried it for the fifth time or so and now it worked :shepface: I honestly have no idea why it worked now and not the previous times. Thanks, though!

Also, I sent you a PM :o:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm using a keyboard but I've found that my main trouble with executing guard breaks is that they require you to not be moving. You can't be moving around and immediately try to guard break, you'll just do a normal attack. If you hold still for a split second though, you can guard break just fine. This of course makes trying to use them in PvP a pain in the rear end since you're basically always on the move.

Don't know if this is how it works for other people but I've been able to guard break far more consistently when I stop moving right before doing it.

This explains a lot. Every time I try to do one in a fight and bork it I always try to practice the controls afterward and of course can suddenly do 5 in a row flawlessly, which I assumed was the game making fun of me but I guess it's because I'm standing still when I'm practicing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so what's that new trick people are using to become nearly impervious to damage for like a full minute?

I don't like it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As noted before, you just cast Numbness (35% damage reduction before armor) with a high dark bonus (to make it last a while) and equip heavy armor (to reduce the remaining damage to virtually nothing). Apparently damage in -> damage out scales weirdly with increased armor?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

so what's that new trick people are using to become nearly impervious to damage for like a full minute?

I don't like it.

Numbness and a lot of heavy armor. I really wish this was a bug or exploit instead of just a poorly thought out ability.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

SUCK IT, DRAGON

Thanks so much to everyone who recommended the Grym Shield + Gower Ring trick. :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow you're dense. You're the only person I've seen act like this game is perfectly lag free.

So you're gonna tell me that even though the weapon model is a foot away from me, its fine that it hits me anyways? The weapon itself literally misses but I get hit by it. Maybe on his screen it looks like he hit me, but on mine that clearly isn't the case.

And this is a consistent thing, so you can adapt to it. As you can see here, I don't get hit much cause I know how to dodge (doesn't hurt that everyone but the last guy and the guy who pulled out the great club were terrible, admittedly). Excsue the garbage quality, that happens when youcombine poo poo laptop with non-existent video eiditng skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtagyEMOMM

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

As noted before, you just cast Numbness (35% damage reduction before armor) with a high dark bonus (to make it last a while) and equip heavy armor (to reduce the remaining damage to virtually nothing). Apparently damage in -> damage out scales weirdly with increased armor?

argondamn posted:

Numbness and a lot of heavy armor. I really wish this was a bug or exploit instead of just a poorly thought out ability.

cooool. I wonder how long before everyone is doing this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

And this is a consistent thing, so you can adapt to it. As you can see here, I don't get hit much cause I know how to dodge (doesn't hurt that everyone but the last guy and the guy who pulled out the great club were terrible, admittedly). Excsue the garbage quality, that happens when youcombine poo poo laptop with non-existent video eiditng skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtagyEMOMM

Holy poo poo you really are dense. You literally refuse to accept the idea that lag has any part in this game when nobody else pretends it is at all consistent. Because its loving not. With hundreds of invasions now, I'm well aware of this.

EDIT: Jumped around, only saw you fight one guy with a large weapon and it was a giant club. He was terrible, though you still got hit by him. Yes this one awful fight totally proves that lag never occurs :rolleyes:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 3, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Holy poo poo you really are dense. You literally refuse to accept the idea that lag has any part in this game when nobody else pretends it is at all consistent. Because its loving not. With hundreds of invasions now, I'm well aware of this.

Don't you know that lag is part of the core :darksouls: experience? :smug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

With thousands of invasions, I'm well aware that it is very consistent. 90% of the fights I have are like the ones in the video.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just hit the gutter, and it reminds me a lot of blighttown. Unlike blighttown, however, I enjoy it! It's fun going through and looking for torch sconces to act as beacons, gives it a real sense of progress. There's one thing I could see myself getting annoyed with, though I havent yet. When the heckhouds attack you, they deal damage very near the beginning of the animation, before the blow actually connects. It has lead to me taking damage a few extra times, but it hasn't killed me. No biggie.

Your Computer posted:

Don't you know that lag is part of the core :darksouls: experience? :smug:

The real Dark Souls starts five seconds before the animation of it starting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I just hit the gutter, and it reminds me a lot of blighttown. Unlike blighttown, however, I enjoy it!

I'm one of the (apparently) few who enjoyed Blighttown :( And I think the Gutter is scary as hell.. it's like Blighttown in that one misstep will kill you... but it's pitch black! Add the horrible dogs and exploding mummies and you got my absolute least favourite place in the entire game. I've played around 6 characters now I think, and I always dread going to that place...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think there's only one exploding mummy in that entire area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

With thousands of invasions, I'm well aware that it is very consistent. 90% of the fights I have are like the ones in the video.

You mean ones that are incredibly terrible and don't demonstrate your point at all, given that the weapon in question doesn't even show up? Well consider me convinced.

Ariong posted:

I just hit the gutter, and it reminds me a lot of blighttown. Unlike blighttown, however, I enjoy it! It's fun going through and looking for torch sconces to act as beacons, gives it a real sense of progress. There's one thing I could see myself getting annoyed with, though I havent yet. When the heckhouds attack you, they deal damage very near the beginning of the animation, before the blow actually connects. It has lead to me taking damage a few extra times, but it hasn't killed me. No biggie.

The Gutter is basically Blighttown done properly. The only part of it I really dislike is the statue respawning when you die, which makes exploring it your first time a pain. Unlike Blighttown though its incredibly easy to go through on repeat visits. It takes like 5 minutes to go from the entrance to the boss if you know where to go.

Cardboard Box posted:

There's at least 3 of them. They are guarding the long bridges you have to cross, trying to blow up right when you cross them so you get hurled off the edge.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cardboard Box posted:

I think there are 2-3 all spread out on the major bridges.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You mean ones that are incredibly terrible and don't demonstrate your point at all, given that the weapon in question doesn't even show up? Well consider me convinced.

I dodge whips and katanas, which are waaaaay harder to dodge than an ultragreatsword or similar ever could be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay, after dueling on the bridge for a couple of hours now I actually see that PVP can be fun :o:
I've actually yet to fight someone with noticeable lag, which is incredibly odd as 9/10 invaders I've fought have backstabbed me from across the room. Is the netcode suddenly improved or have I just been maximum unlucky in my previous invasions?

I still feel kinda bad for the people I completely wreck though. The Gyrm Great Hammer roll-swing is incredibly fast and has a huge range so it's usually enough to do that + one follow-up attack to take out most people. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

I dodge whips and katanas, which are waaaaay harder to dodge than an ultragreatsword or similar ever could be.

:psyduck:

You could not be missing the point any harder. The entire discussion was about lag, not dodging. Dodging is not hard dude. I dodge that poo poo all the time, its nothing special. I was talking about how lag interacts with the huge hitboxes of ultra greatswords, but I guess since you don't believe in lag you keep ignoring that.

On to something not dumb; does numbness have any clear visual indicator? Can you tell when somebody is under the effects of it or does it not change their model at all?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 3, 2014

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

cooool. I wonder how long before everyone is doing this.

In the red arena, I'd say it's got around a 50% adoption rate already. The other 25% are cheaters, and the last 25% are victims.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah okay I'm going to go play other games for a while.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wanted to try a close ranged/melee-focused build, so I decided to make a character from a show I've been watching.

It's Kars from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Or at least a somewhat reasonable facsimile. I haven't looked into it, but I'm pretty sure there are armor pieces to replicate his clothes. I guess it's a pretty obscure reference, but I think I'll try it out.

welp

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

that is amazing. :allears:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I'm confused about the moveset of the black knight greatsword. Is it the same as the Mirrah swords, or...? I've seen conflicting information (which may be thanks to the presence of the black knight *ultra* greatsword).

The dex-style-moveset greatswords are only the Mirrah, old Mirrah, and Drangleic swords, right?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

Cowcaster posted:

Actually, come to think of it, were you behind them? In the long forgotten mists of time I seem to remember hearing something about hollows being able to turn the tables on backstab happy people and maybe you found out how.

the spear hollows in the forest of fallen giants have a few issues:

- due to the unique way their hitbox works, if they jab straight ahead while you are immediately behind them, you will be hit.

- due to the unique way their attack animations work, they can block while their shield is raised high above and behind their head in preparation for a bashing attack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Colapops posted:

I'm confused about the moveset of the black knight greatsword. Is it the same as the Mirrah swords, or...? I've seen conflicting information (which may be thanks to the presence of the black knight *ultra* greatsword).

The dex-style-moveset greatswords are only the Mirrah, old Mirrah, and Drangleic swords, right?

There are very few Greatsword class weapons that exactly share movesets. Been a while since I used it but I'm pretty sure Drangleic is the same as BKGS (1hand; r1 - swipes, r2 - thrust followed by a swipe 2hand; r1 - vertical chops, r2 - swipes).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The best pose after winning a PvP fight is Channeler's Trident 2H R2. Accept no substitutes.

http://a.pomf.se/caplth.webm

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

It was the guy right before last giant, he has a rapier. Powerstanced caestus, just waiting for him to drop his shield. He bats me away instead and I fall on to the ground. I was wondering why I sometimes fall over from projectile attacks though.
You don't need a shield to parry. Rapiers are one of the weapon classes that can parry. Curved Swords and two handed great swords can also parry. Amazing.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Good bye Santier's+Avelyn, hello Helix Halberd+Mastodon Halberd!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
At the very least, people are pretty predictable with the Helix Halberd, as people were with Santier's. Slap that poke away and riposte them.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Parrying those seem fairly easy, so its not nearly as bad as some of the top tier weapons.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I am disappointed about how nonviable heavier weapons are in PVP. The only people who seem to lose to them are other people running the same sorts of builds, everything else is much better able to handle differing situations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Coolwhoami posted:

I am disappointed about how nonviable heavier weapons are in PVP. The only people who seem to lose to them are other people running the same sorts of builds, everything else is much better able to handle differing situations.

Blame poise being awful. If you stagger in one hit, you might as well use a fast poking weapon.
Poise would fix this but cause other problems so big weapons are mostly for people who want a challenge.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How's my Fashion Souls coming along?

(Craftsman's Hammer, Blossom Kite Shield, Throne Defender set and Falconer Helmet)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Everyone's talkin' PVP and here I am still making my way through the game for the first time but wanna chat about things cuz I think the game is cool.

I started using Fraps to limit my framerate to 30 FPS and it's made a world of difference. Since weapons no longer break after a single room, I slapped a few Petrified Dragon Bone into my newfound Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword and HOT drat I think I found my weapon of choice. I love it. I love everything about it. The design, the size, the moveset, the stunlock... I don't think I'm ever taking it off. :swoon:

I made my way through Earthen Peak. After a couple losses to the boss a friend of mine hinted to me that you could drain the pool of poison in the room. I felt kinda dumb about that so I decided to look up how to do it. Then I felt extra dumb. Funny thing is I saw a message in front of the windmill telling me to use a torch but I was all "Uh... That looks like it's made of metal? There's no way that would burn. Must just be a nonsensical message." :downs: Overall that's kinda totally obscure though and I'm not sure who was crazy enough to figure that out in the first place. Also am I just not seeing how the world map really lines up or does Iron Keep totally not make sense being above that place???

On the opposite end of the vertical spectrum, I also beat Black Gulch which I'm completely torn on. I absolutely love the aesthetic of the place but the gimmick can suck a fart and the area is so short I don't even really know why it exists. Also it turns out I missed a key in the area (and a second bonfire that might as well be in spitting distance of the first with how goddamn small this area is) that I'm both tempted to go back for but also not really willing to put up with getting it. I don't think that key unlocks anything I really want anyway.

And finally, a personal victory: I'm not going to lie, in all my times of playing through Dark Souls 1 I've always just summoned Solaire or someone else to lend a hand with the Bell Gargoyles. Not once did I ever win that fight solo. I probably could, but I've also never really tried. Tonight I went to Belfry Luna (PS: I RANG YOUR FUCKIN' BELL YOU BELLBROS OR WHATEVER YOU CALL YOURSELVES) and fought the boss there. Beat it solo on my first try! :neckbeard: ...then I promptly went and slammed my face into pseudo-Capra Demon about a dozen times.

ok that's all back to the PVP power hour

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Kaubocks posted:

After a couple losses to the boss a friend of mine hinted to me that you could drain the pool of poison in the room.

Oh man I just gotta say, if anyone else here follows Kay's LP of Dark Souls 2, it's kind of frustrating to see her get so close to figuring that thing out after making several unsuccessful attempts to brute-force the boss by way of poison moss, outhealing, weapon buffs etc. The last time she was in Earthen Peak, she was throwing firebombs at the windmill, which indicates she's got the right idea, sort of, but it just hasn't occurred to her to try torch and then happiness ahead.

Kaubocks posted:

Also am I just not seeing how the world map really lines up or does Iron Keep totally not make sense being above that place???

Do you think there's something weird about a lake of lava on top of a spire in the middle of a valley plain? :colbert:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

quote:

as for the chariot boss, he really sticks out like a sore thumb. compared to the rest of them, this one has some thought put into it. puzzle-like boss fights aren't new to the souls series and I bet Miyazaki was involved in creating the chariot boss. we knew about him since the reveal at the VGAs.

Never change NeoGAF. Never change. :allears:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kaubocks posted:

I started using Fraps to limit my framerate to 30 FPS and it's made a world of difference.

Woah, you did that to deliberately increase delay and minimize unintended swings to the ground and walls? Some weapons like the Large Club will just expire quickly if you decide to Strong Attack all day. Repair Powder saves souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I did it because accidentally hitting a corpse would do upwards of 10 durability damage. I don't mind the game looking a little uglier if it means poo poo works as intended.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do you think there's something weird about a lake of lava on top of a spire in the middle of a valley plain? :colbert:
I got on an elevator in a windmill and suddenly there's castle up here or something? :confused: