Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

That sucks dude, my awesome neighbor passed away not too long ago too. She was the best neighbor ever :smith:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?

I assume you aren't including LSx swaps :v:

Still jealous of that shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

leica posted:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?

A couple of locals built a competitive GT3 N/A FD with 197whp. Granted its based on an ex-GT1 RE-Amemiya Smurf car but still.
In this specific case it was advantageous due to the class multiplier assigned because of the turbos and the doritos.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

leica posted:

That sucks dude, my awesome neighbor passed away not too long ago too. She was the best neighbor ever :smith:

Plenty.

Just a pair there, there's a lot more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's awesome.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

One of my dream cars is a late-model FD with a ported, NA 3-rotor.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This is just not my week.

Good news: My motors put back together and my neighbor is bringing over his hammer drill to finish installing the lift tonight.
Bad news: I blew out the hydraulics on the JD 314. I'm realizing that I just need to dump $1k in parts/paint and rebuild the poor thing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone recognize this turbo? A car club buddy dropped it off. It's been sitting on his self for 6-8 years, rebuilt but never used. It's a .70/1.00AR, oil and water cooled, with no other markings outside of 20257. I can't seem to find anything quite like it. *Ignore the welded on 3" flange, I can't believe they did that. Fricken ruins the exhaust housing IMO.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
No idea... Who uses a blue anodized compressor back? I've got a similar looking one with a pink anodized billet back, I was told it was a Garrett and has also been sitting for over 7 years.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Best guess so far: Turbonetics 60-1 Journal Bearing (360 degree) T4 .70 compressor/1.00AR exhaust.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Updated best guess: Turbonetics 60-1 .70 Comp, Divided T4 1.00AR, water and oil cooled. Journal bearing with upgraded 360 thrust bearing. I'm hoping I can find another T4 divided exhaust housing, otherwise I've got some grinding/welding to do to get this work with the vband downpipe I already have.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And... after a quick refresh my motors back.

If I feel like it, I will toss it in the car this weekend after the lift's bolted down.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today = awesome.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm so insanely jealous right now of your shop.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

8ender posted:

I'm so insanely jealous right now of your shop.

F'real. I'd do unwholesome things to have a garage with a lift.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's amazing. I can't stop smiling every time I go out there. :smuggo:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

It's amazing. I can't stop smiling every time I go out there. :smuggo:

Remember that (those) rear end in a top hat(s) that kept showing up randomly?

They might start showing up again :D

This time it (probably) won't be to hide from the police.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You have your own lift now, haha. (And place to hide from the po-po.)

In other news, my wife convinced me to work on stuff around the house she wanted to and thus nothing car related has been done. Well... except one thing. I might have bought a wrecked 93 R1, Red on Black 106k, needing a fender, bumper, and passenger headlight. Yay craigslist. My wife's going to murder me. Pictures when I dolly it home later this week.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

CountOfNowhere posted:

Remember that (those) rear end in a top hat(s) that kept showing up randomly?

They might start showing up again :D

This time it (probably) won't be to hide from the police.

When are you introducing us?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Picture dump:

Lift install:

gently caress. Out of ten holes, I hit rebar in one.

Out comes the MAGNUM and lube. (And 1/4" + 1/2" bits, god drat this sucked.)

I managed to drill a 1/2" hole straight through the center some how. The hammer drill easily took care of the rest.

Running cables and hydraulics.

Pump installed, lock covers installed, arms installed.

gently caress yes.

Found some NOS Nicholson USA made files.

The rest of the weekend was a blur for some reason...

Changed the oil on our F150, it's at 315k and I know it's time is short :(- babbit and copper visible in the drain pan.

I had to take a few "me" minutes yesterday and installed my 99 spec OEM spoiler. Fit's 100x better then the POS fiberglass ebay special that was on it. (Just don't ask about drilling the holes for it :(- I've got some welding/filling to do.)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Place looks great! Pics of lift pad adjust-ability plz! I'm curious how easy it'll be to get a shitbox BMW on there - shame you don't have the 135i anymore.

the spyder posted:

You have your own lift now, haha. (And place to hide from the po-po.)

but something racing something something backroads. Did I do that right?

Skier posted:

When are you introducing us?

When do you want to drive to rural <place> with me? It's a fun drive, from what I've been told :D

the spyder posted:

Changed the oil on our F150, it's at 315k and I know it's time is short :(- babbit and copper visible in the drain pan.

You've been saying this thing is at the end of its' life since I met you, but it's been a cockroach that hasn't seen fit to die. I bet you'll make it to half a million miles.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
I might have missed it earlier in the thread, but was there some reason you didn't just use cast-in-place anchors for the lift? I usually spec those whenever possible for new construction.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
At the time the slab was poured, I had no idea what lift I was going to be using. Initially, I spec'd a Bendpak, which uses completely different bolt spacing/location.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you use epoxy for the anchors?

Your FD is awesome but that front plate bumper just looks wrong.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

leica posted:

Your FD is awesome but that front plate bumper just looks wrong.

Unfortunately, that's just the way those series 8 bumpers were made because of Japanese plate laws.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
You can get aftermarket 99 spec front bumpers without the bracket but I don't know what the quality is like.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
There's like a zillion awesome front bumpers for FDs.

I like the Mazdaspeed front bumpers or maybe the C-West front, or something by RE Amemiya. It's takes a special effort to gently caress it up an FD even with a body kit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Weekend update: God drat I'm tired.

Random photo:

I've been restoring an old MANN EDGE TOOL CO double bit axe.

I'm going to have to grind/reshape it, so it's been shelved until I have a bit more time.

Car project 1 for the weekend- we finally stripped the vert.

It runs great despite the fuckery and we later found out why- it has a mazda reman engine in it. Score.

Yea... there should be a 100amp main fuse there...

Fuel lines don't need hose clamps, right?

drat mice.

Two WTF's in this photo: The pressure sensor has been replaced with a cabin atmospheric pressure sensor and the fuel pump bypass is bridged.

On Thursday I got a free server rack- more on this later in the week. I've got a cool project for it.

Changed the oil on the HUSTLER. 10.5 hours flew by on this thing.

Next car project: In preparation for getting my FD back on the road, I had to fix the two broken studs. This meant I got to use my shiny new drill bits.

And this is why you should clamp down your work piece. This awesome $8 bit is now chipped about 3/8" up the shaft. God drat it.

After all of that, it was pointless. One of the holes I fixed was drilled slightly off center, causing it to oval. So I grabbed another manifold, fixed the (1) broken bolt it had, and used it. drat it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random picture:

We dragged out the white FC the black vert's drivetrain is going in.

And we dragged out the 67 Corvair.

This quickly turned in to a driveway cluster gently caress.

No pictures: My white FD is back together for the... second time?

The Corvair cleaned up decently. It now runs and drives (below 3k).

Back to the vert: OH GAWD the welds were terrible. These are equally terrible pictures, but you can make out the welds under the bondo...
Let's start with the terrible corrosion.

Seized bolt? No problem.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My parents were in town and I let my dad use the HUSTLER. He did not check the height adjustment though... drat it.

Since it was Sunday, I decided to fix my bandsaw. Not sure why, possibly because I was still exhausted from Saturday.

First mission: Replace the tires.

I struggled for a good twenty minutes trying to get these on. I finally gave up and hit up youtube to find some help. Putting the new urethane tires in hot water for ten minutes made installation a breeze.

I still had to deal with the broken trunion mount.

My father recommended epoxy, so I started cleaning it up. I quickly realized it was just cast aluminum and decided to try welding on it. It held a puddle, but had some nasty contaminates.

My friend brought his recently restored FC over for a checkup. He just redid the brakes and I insisted we check them over.... It was a good idea, seeing as all of them require additional 1/4 turns or so. We also found he forgot to tighten one of the tie rod ends... The cotter pin thankfully was loosely installed and kept the nut on.

And here's how we left things Sunday night. The white car is getting ready to be stripped. I'm sure Parid will be bugging me any time for the engine core that's being pulled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That server cabinet would make an amazing kegerator if you insulated it properly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We picked up two of those racks at a Spirit surplus auction for like $75 each and they are pretty nice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

That server cabinet would make an amazing kegerator if you insulated it properly.

How so? Don't you usually need a refrigeration unit?

Source: Own a kegerator

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You just need a rack-mount kegerator. I think a 60U system would fit.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

the spyder posted:

And here's how we left things Sunday night. The white car is getting ready to be stripped. I'm sure Parid will be bugging me any time for the engine core that's being pulled.

Did someone say FC engine part packrat? :) I was about to give up on my project due to lack of parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have one of those server racks, literally exactly the same unit, in my storage unit if any local (central Mass) goons want it.

Works fine, holds servers up, has wheels, has front and rear doors, looks nice, etc, just has been in storage since 2008 because I've completely lost interest in playing sysadmin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

How so? Don't you usually need a refrigeration unit?

Source: Own a kegerator

I've seen custom built units of all sorts, you just cannibalize a mini fridge.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Not a kegerator, but you can buy rack mounted refrigerators. We almost got one of those for a mostly empty rack at one of my old jobs.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

the spyder posted:

Two WTF's in this photo: The pressure sensor has been replaced with a cabin atmospheric pressure sensor and the fuel pump bypass is bridged.

That looks to be the same sensor used for barometric pressure correction (and I think boost gauge for the GT/GTX) in Mazda 323s. I think even B6 Miatas have them, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all the same sensor, means Mazda only needed only a single pressure/resistance table and part number.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Not a kegerator, but you can buy rack mounted refrigerators. We almost got one of those for a mostly empty rack at one of my old jobs.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/11-231_CANFORD-RACKWINE-Winerack-rack-mount-3U-black

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Question for the_spyder: are you familiar with this guy? He's got an 82 rx-7 with 120k on it for sale and I'm feeling the urge. I know the rotary community in oregon is relatively small, have you heard anything about his work?

For anyone, since this seems to be rotary central for SA: Thoughts on owning a first gen to DD? Am I being overly optimistic? There's also an 87 FC up right now that I'm interested in, but it's got the typical CL shady feel, whereas this FB seems to be from a guy who knows his stuff...

edit: Well, he might be somewhat off.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 10, 2014